• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake |OT| Party like it's 1998

Shifty

Dunno if you're on PC but I believe it's broken, damage tied to frame rate I think?
Yeah, I saw something to that effect on PCGamingWiki. I probably got a ~50% boost since my game averages high 80s for framerate.

Holy crap. I just started Claire A on standard. On man, I have a 120hz monitor too.
I wouldn't worry too much. Unless your rig is a total beast you aren't going to be one-shotting anything with it. I still had to spend my remaining ammo stockpile to get the boss to almost die :messenger_winking:

It is. Maximilian even tested it in his last RE2 stream after people in the chat told him. He did Birkin 1 at normal 60FPS on PC, which took 2 knifes and a grenade to take down, then unlocked framerate and destroyed him with a single knife in I think it was around 10 seconds, Birkin never even got a attack off.
Interesting, are we talking two knives' worth of slashing, or using one up to stab during a grab?

Because I'd expect that kind of glitch to effect the former but not the latter.

Just gotta save a whole lot less now.
Yeah, I think I'm getting a feel for which areas are actually dangerous veraus which cause me to save out of paranoia.

I feel like I can optimize my route a bit more first though- without ink ribbons to worry about, saving on the way past a typewriter feels like much less significant of a time loss than it did in REmake.

Last edited:
Interesting, are we talking two knives' worth of slashing, or using one up to stab during a grab?

Because I'd expect that kind of glitch to effect the former but not the latter..
First time he slashed away at Birkin as Birkin was stunned then changed to G (eye open) and was grabbed and stabbed, then used the second until grabbed and stabbed again, and then a grenade to finish.
Second time with unlocked framerate Birkin was dead before he could finish with his change to G and even grab.

You can see how fast it is via the current WR Leon A speedrun, ran at 120FPS.

Also he talks about it at 14:32.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Finished Leons campaign in around 10 hours with a C ranking. It was expected since I played awful the first half of the game before I finally got my shit together. As a remake I´d say it is phenomenal, even though I think the first one is better. Resident Evil 1 was nearly 70% remade with new content, including a cut characters entire storyline. Granted, it was a very long time that I played the original RE2, this one felt very close to it, with few additions in characters, storylines, monsters and environments. But I appreciated that Capcom kept it true to the original, both in terms of gameplay with its survival horror roots and the story and characters.

Capcom has once again set the bar for remakes. Resident Evil 2 soars way above its peers in just about everything when it comes to horror. The dark and dreary atmosphere, the sense of isolation and desperation, the fear of being chased by an indestructible bio-weapon that´s ready to fuck you up beyond repair at any given time, gives RE2 a tense and chilling aura that haunts every step you take.

It manages to combine old school-Resident Evil gameplay with state of the art graphics and blend it together like it was a match made in heaven. The sheer of level of detail that Capcom has brought to the table is impressive. The environments are spooky, the monsters are gruesome and the violence is disgustingly fun. I haven´t been this immersed in a horror game for well over a decade.

The combat is so good and the satisfying feel when you blow a zombies head off with a shotgun blast is second to none. The ammunition is low and sparse and it always feels like you´re up against impossible odds, with nothing to do but run like hell. The horror takes over you, devours you, but in the end you prevail like a champ because Capcom has balanced it so effin good that no matter how dire the situation is, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Resident Evil 2 is a landmark title for horror games, proving that its gameplay is as good as it was back in 1998. The survival horror-genre is constantly targeted for extermination, but once in a while, it sets the record straight with the naysayers and brings us some of the best games of all time. This generation we have gotten gems like Alien Isolation, The Evil Within 1 & 2 and now Resident Evil 2, further giving hope that the genre hasn´t seen its end of days.

wolgoen

So the PC version has been cracked. 7 days after release.

Denuvo is soooooooo worth it.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Got S+ Hardcore with Leon and Claire on A Scenario!

Great game, well worth the 70 Euros but I wish there was a side-way dodge or something, I've had some questionable zombie grabs. >.>

Nickolaidas

Banned
Finished Leons campaign in around 10 hours with a C ranking. It was expected since I played awful the first half of the game before I finally got my shit together. As a remake I´d say it is phenomenal, even though I think the first one is better. Resident Evil 1 was nearly 70% remade with new content, including a cut characters entire storyline. Granted, it was a very long time that I played the original RE2, this one felt very close to it, with few additions in characters, storylines, monsters and environments. But I appreciated that Capcom kept it true to the original, both in terms of gameplay with its survival horror roots and the story and characters.

Capcom has once again set the bar for remakes. Resident Evil 2 soars way above its peers in just about everything when it comes to horror. The dark and dreary atmosphere, the sense of isolation and desperation, the fear of being chased by an indestructible bio-weapon that´s ready to fuck you up beyond repair at any given time, gives RE2 a tense and chilling aura that haunts every step you take.

It manages to combine old school-Resident Evil gameplay with state of the art graphics and blend it together like it was a match made in heaven. The sheer of level of detail that Capcom has brought to the table is impressive. The environments are spooky, the monsters are gruesome and the violence is disgustingly fun. I haven´t been this immersed in a horror game for well over a decade.

The combat is so good and the satisfying feel when you blow a zombies head off with a shotgun blast is second to none. The ammunition is low and sparse and it always feels like you´re up against impossible odds, with nothing to do but run like hell. The horror takes over you, devours you, but in the end you prevail like a champ because Capcom has balanced it so effin good that no matter how dire the situation is, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Resident Evil 2 is a landmark title for horror games, proving that its gameplay is as good as it was back in 1998. The survival horror-genre is constantly targeted for extermination, but once in a while, it sets the record straight with the naysayers and brings us some of the best games of all time. This generation we have gotten gems like Alien Isolation, The Evil Within 1 & 2 and now Resident Evil 2, further giving hope that the genre hasn´t seen its end of days.

Just beat Leon's A campaign on Standard (43 saves, 8:36 hours, C ranking) So I guess run time and save number is what calculates your ranking? Well, I hate running in SH games so I doubt I'll get a good score - good lessen the number of saves though.

All in all, an amazing remake - an awesome experience. Wasn't scary per se, but it was tense, and to be honest I kinda prefer it that way.

I just find it a pity that for some reason Capcom wants the bestiary to be more 'realistic' and took out classic RE monsters such as the spiders.

Anyway, I think I'll take a little break before tackling on Claire's Campaign.

Mr Hyde

Playing Claire 2nd scenario now and it feels much harder. Claire is fragile and can only take two hits before biting the dust. The layout is very confusing since I got so used to the precinct in Leons run. I also just triggered Mr X and he´s been chasing me around now for a couple of minutes. It does seem like he´s not spawning when I´m in the opposite hallway because I can´t hear his footsteps anymore. He is so fucking annoying but I wouldn´t want it any other way. Simply put, RE2 without Mr X is not RE2.

I get the salt but you gotta give props where it´s due. Mr X is a legendary asshole, and probably one of the biggest part to Capcoms horror legacy. I mean, he spawned the idea around Nemesis which RE3 based its whole premise around. He is the inspiration to the crazy villains that chase you around in Haunting Ground. He was Ustanak in RE6 and Jack Baker in RE7. You can feel Mr X everywhere. His footsteps echoes to this day and age, and will continue to provide sweet salty tears for years to come.

Mr Hyde

So I guess run time and save number is what calculates your ranking?

Yes. Especially time is of crucial weight, atleast for an S ranking. But I think deaths also plays some part. Whenever I choose continue after getting slaughtered I notice the save prompt in the left corner. But the only thing that was registered when completing the game was time and saves, so I´m not sure.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Playing Claire 2nd scenario now and it feels much harder. Claire is fragile and can only take two hits before biting the dust. The layout is very confusing since I got so used to the precinct in Leons run. I also just triggered Mr X and he´s been chasing me around now for a couple of minutes. It does seem like he´s not spawning when I´m in the opposite hallway because I can´t hear his footsteps anymore. He is so fucking annoying but I wouldn´t want it any other way. Simply put, RE2 without Mr X is not RE2.

I get the salt but you gotta give props where it´s due. Mr X is a legendary asshole, and probably one of the biggest part to Capcoms horror legacy. I mean, he spawned the idea around Nemesis which RE3 based its whole premise around. He is the inspiration to the crazy villains that chase you around in Haunting Ground. He was Ustanak in RE6 and Jack Baker in RE7. You can feel Mr X everywhere. His footsteps echoes to this day and age, and will continue to provide sweet salty tears for years to come.

So Mr.X appears much sooner in the 2nd playthrough?

Mr Hyde

One thing I really dislike is that the tutorials are still popping up during the second scenario. Like come on, I know how the game plays, no need to go in depth one more round.

Last edited:

Shifty

Yeah, and he´s faster too this time around.
That's so he can keep up with Turbo Claire :messenger_winking:

I was quite worried when I started seeing/hearing him do the step-step-quickstep-step-quickstep thing. Almost expected him to start fucking sprinting like Nemesis does in 3.

Mr Hyde

Almost expected him to start fucking sprinting like Nemesis does in 3.

Yeah, tell me about it. He speeded up real fast up the stairs in the main hall when I was trying to ditch him. Got me shiver in my pants. To hear those stomping boots all over the precinct, kinda terrifying when I think about it. I don´t even wanna know what Capcom will bring to the table with the fucking Nemesis running around town. S.T.A.A.A.R.S!

Athena~

Banned
Yes. Especially time is of crucial weight, atleast for an S ranking. But I think deaths also plays some part. Whenever I choose continue after getting slaughtered I notice the save prompt in the left corner. But the only thing that was registered when completing the game was time and saves, so I´m not sure.

The only factor that determines your rank is how long it took you to beat the story. Nothing else matters (deaths, number of saves are irrelevant for it). You can pause the game to stop the timer

Warning: If you die, never choose “Continue” as it keeps counting your time and doesn’t reset it to the last checkpoint! Always choose “Quit” and from the Title Menu pick “Continue” or Load Save. This way it will revert the time back to last checkpoint. This can save you lots of time for the ranking

azz0r

Banned
Just completed it, I'm not great I got C rankings.

I found the game didn't do enough cross over with Leon and Claire, we bumped into each other for 10 seconds 3 times. On the flip side though I loved the Ada storyline. I maxed out the graphics on PC and some of the scenes looked stunning.

This is hilarious, atleast watch the last 20 seconds

Mr Hyde

Been progressing real nicely with Claire today. It was hard at the beginning, but now I´m running through them corridors like a pro. I have effortlessly avoided lickers, zombies and Mr X, so now I am jam packed with ammo and health. Currently on the hunt for electronic parts for the key card to the garage.

The boss fight against
Umbrella Head William Birkin
is very tense. You can feel his pain when he slams that iron pipe in the ground, with his eye popping out of his shoulder. Claires storyline is beginning to pick up, been introduced to
Sherry and Chief Irons. Sherry is so cute and a good fit with Claire. I hope Capcom gives her a new shot as one of the leads when she is adult. It was also hilarious to find out some info about Irons, how he was into charity work and supported abused women right after he kicked the shit out of Claire.
I think I prefer Claires storyline over Leons but I think much of that is because I think Claire is the best protagonist in RE. I really hope Capcom makes a remake of Code: Veronica. But Leons campaign is no slouch either, and Ada carries a lot of weight as a supportive character. She needs her own game as well.

Shifty

All normal-mode S-ranks done. Time to see what this Hardcore business is all about.

I'm at the point where I'm skipping all the cutscenes, but damn it if I'm not sitting through the credits every time to listen to this banger from the original soundtrack:

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just completed it, I'm not great I got C rankings.

I found the game didn't do enough cross over with Leon and Claire, we bumped into each other for 10 seconds 3 times. On the flip side though I loved the Ada storyline. I maxed out the graphics on PC and some of the scenes looked stunning.

This is hilarious, atleast watch the last 20 seconds

That's my biggest complaint, the cross overs are minimal and evidence that Leon or Claire has been there is almost zero, the original did better

Athena~

Banned
The Sherry part was totally Clock Tower. Remake that too.

Claire looks weird sometimes especially when smiling

-MD-

The only factor that determines your rank is how long it took you to beat the story. Nothing else matters (deaths, number of saves are irrelevant for it). You can pause the game to stop the timer

Warning: If you die, never choose “Continue” as it keeps counting your time and doesn’t reset it to the last checkpoint! Always choose “Quit” and from the Title Menu pick “Continue” or Load Save. This way it will revert the time back to last checkpoint. This can save you lots of time for the ranking

Aren't S+ ranks only earned with under 3 saves?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah S+ has additional requirements of 3 save limit and no infinite weapons.

Shifty

Yeah S+ has additional requirements of 3 save limit and no infinite weapons.
Interesting. Are the time requirements the same, or minus 30 or so minutes?

I wondered how they'd limit the infinite weapons this time. I find myself never using them because I don't want to feel like I'm cheating if I'm going for a good rank :messenger_pensive:

Interesting. Are the time requirements the same, or minus 30 or so minutes?

I wondered how they'd limit the infinite weapons this time. I find myself never using them because I don't want to feel like I'm cheating if I'm going for a good rank :messenger_pensive:
They're the same, just 3 saves and no infinite ammo weapons. However you can use the infinite knife.

Soltype

Did anyone else notice that they changed the officers handbook from the demo, the answers are just laid out for you.

Shifty

41AFD0850B0581A776423375E17C9858252DE687

Get your ass back in that safe room

And stay there click

These people think that RE1.5 should be made available as DLC
https://screenrant.com/resident-evil-2-remake-dlc-1-5/
That's an, uh, interesting takeaway from the whole thing. I can't for the life of me see how building an emulator into RE2make and finishing an ancient PS1 codebase would be a remotely worthwhile venture when they could spend the time on something like R3make.

Almost feels like it's a low-effort piece to capitalize on the hype by coupling a loosely-backed premise with a big article-padding info dump about RE1.5

Last edited:

DubReno

Did anyone else notice that they changed the officers handbook from the demo, the answers are just laid out for you.

Yeah that was a tad bit dissappointing when I saw that. At least the B scenario makes it a little more complicated.

Aggelos

So what would happen if you were to expose Sherry Birkin to the vile and malicious eyes of the monsters crawling around in the Lab?

Shifty

Figured out how to consistently get Mr. X to kool aid man his way through that one wall on A-side.
Finish up your business in the RPD before you head down to extinguish the helicopter. As soon as he starts chasing you, head past the wreckage and keep right until you go through the shutter, his footsteps should immediately stop. Go downstairs, and you'll hear his stomping resume briefly as you get close to the interrogation room. Grab the goodies, then head back and X GONNA GIVE IT TO YA

Last edited:
41AFD0850B0581A776423375E17C9858252DE687

Get your ass back in that safe room

And stay there click

That's an, uh, interesting takeaway from the whole thing. I can't for the life of me see how building an emulator into RE2make and finishing an ancient PS1 codebase would be a remotely worthwhile venture when they could spend the time on something like R3make.

Almost feels like it's a low-effort piece to capitalize on the hype by coupling a loosely-backed premise with a big article-padding info dump about RE1.5
Indeed. At best make Elza Walker as part of the what if DLC missions that the 3 "Ghost Survivors" missions start off.

Arachnid

I beat my first playthrough on hardcore last night. It was a phenomenal experience all the way through. This was the RE I've dreamed about since I played 4 as a kid (the OTS shooting melded with the mazelike, puzzle filled maps).

My only complaint is that B scenario was a glorified rearranged mode. Both runs are 80% the same with a few differences in terms of areas and bosses (both Leon and Claire get one special extra boss the other doesn't get, and one extra 20-25 minute section each). Otherwise, they still both go through the same three areas with the exact same layout and puzzles (a few puzzles have different answers, but they're still tackled the exact same way). For that reason, once you figure out everything in your A scenario run, you're basically set for B scenario. To give you context, my A scenario run was 9 and a half hours. My B scenario run ended up about 6 hours since I knew exactly how everything worked. The fact that everything was so similar made it less seeing the story from a different perspective and more just an alternate reality altogether with your initial A character pissing off somewhere until the end of the game (I already solved this puzzle with Leon so why do I have to find all the same pieces again? I already took care of this boss as Leon, so why am I fighting this same guy in this same situation? Stuff like that).

Otherwise, it was a 10/10 game for me. Time to start my speedruns.

GenericUser

This game is shit on standard. Everytime I get trough a situation in a less then optimal way (wasting ammo, get bitten etc.) I reload the game. It doesn't make sense not to do it, as there is no penalty for doing so and wasting ammo is a big no no in this game. It's boring playing that way and hardcore is too difficult for me.

Meted

This game is shit on standard. Everytime I get trough a situation in a less then optimal way (wasting ammo, get bitten etc.) I reload the game. It doesn't make sense not to do it, as there is no penalty for doing so and wasting ammo is a big no no in this game. It's boring playing that way and hardcore is too difficult for me.
Can't that be said for any game that lets you save with no penalties?

GenericUser

Can't that be said for any game that lets you save with no penalties?

To some extend yes, but it is amplified in this game as recources are scarce and every hit you take and every bullet you waste is one too much. Considering the fact that almost all enemies in this game are dodgeable, it makes no sense to waste any ammo on them. So when I get trough an area and I know that I could have done better, I just reload the game. It makes it a somewhat cumbersome experience tbh.

I know RE2 is the flavour of the month and criticizing it is forbidden, but thats how I feel right now.

Meted

To some extend yes, but it is amplified in this game as recources are scarce and every hit you take and every bullet you waste is one too much. Considering the fact that almost all enemies in this game are dodgeable, it makes no sense to waste any ammo on them. So when I get trough an area and I know that I could have done better, I just reload the game. It makes it a somewhat cumbersome experience tbh.

I know RE2 is the flavour of the month and criticizing it is forbidden, but thats how I feel right now.
you said you have played standard and hardcore, have you beaten standard yet? i beat it without save scumming, killing a lot of enemies and had a lot of ammo and healing items to spare, hardcore is a different story but i think you are expecting the game to be way less forgiving than it is on standard, i would suggest just playing it and without reloading all the time and you will have better time

You are playing it wrong and creating problems for yourself. Just play the game and don’t worry. There is enough ammo and health if you explore thoroughly.

Can you reload your save if you make a mistake in real life? NO! You should learn to live with your mistakes.

Mackers

On standard you get plenty of ammo and health that it's fine to use it. I understand you can abuse the game in the way you are, but you need to understand that it's your choice to do so. You are ruining the game for yourself and blaming the game for it.

Finished Leon Hardcore and felt it was a lot harder than my Claire Hardcore run. I think ita because she runs a bit faster. And grenade launcher is OP.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Now that I beat KH3, I can start RE2R! Just reached the point where you find all medallions and had a number of honest scares. First time in years that has happened. This binaural audio is freakin' fantastic.

I love REmake2. Just finished Claire A, Standard. Now playing Leon B, and man is it hard. The game gets right to the point. First hour Mr. X is already giving it to me while I'm runnign around with shotgun shells and no shotgun. I cant find the damn weapons locker key! Ugh.... love this game lol

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just finished Leon's campaign and without even completing Claire's campaign and 2nd runs, I can tell without a doubt that it is the best game of the year so far and I honestly don't know what could possibly top it - for sure nothing from what was announced for this year from now till May and what maybe coming out from May till September.

DMCV can do the trick but nah, at best it's going to be just a really good character action game with great visuals, gameplay and combat.

Last edited:

dan76

I don't understand the whole reloading saves thing in a game like this. Yes you can do it but you're cheating yourself from any sense of achievement from playing. I've never done it in any game, it's pointless. I usually use two or three save files in case one screws up, but I'm alway saving over stuff.

Top Bottom