• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake | PS4 vs Xbox ONE vs PS4 Pro vs PC vs Xbox ONE X | Graphics/Framerate Comparison Video

Having played it on base PS4 those drops are a bit bigger than I thought. Could tell it was variable and not consistent, but I wasn't noticing it like I did when I played something like Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. Guess kudos on Capcom for making sure the game handles drops well.

Seems standard XBOX One is the only one that might be a bit rough, having both blurry graphics and running the worst with some major drops as well. Kind of surprised Capcom just didn't strait up lock that version to 30. Sucks One X seems to be just the base XBOX One but in higher resolution and the framerate fixed, so lacks the Pro's sharpness, but at least it still runs the best.

Evilms

Banned
Pro
1547143214-pro.png

X
1547143368-x.png

Pro
1547143474-pro3.png

X
1547143562-x3.png

Pro
1547143722-pro4.png

X
1547143652-x4.png

It reminds me a bit of the RDR2 case except that here the roles are reversed, the image quality of the game is cleaner/sharper on Pro.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
After spending hours with the demo on all formats, this video... is now pointless. Gonna wait until the full game is out.

But from what I can see, the demo is essentially the base console version with an uncapped frame rate (or, capped at 60 should I say.) In other words, the game is running with base console settings, so in the case of the xbox one, this results in not only worse distance textures due to the LOD bias being set at a shorter distance, but also a higher antialiasing solution being in use compared to PS4 (as was the case with RE7). Neither Pro nor X are even in 4k yet, and I have this feeling that the final S/1X result may not even be 1080p, but 900p. Now, when both consoles are in their enhanced mode with Pro/1X settings, the X should produce the best result, otherwise there's something gone wrong. But don't be surprised if the gap is very very close here, as the X usually pulls in front when the Pro cant hit full 4k, and it looks like here the Pro may just be able to.

The only real concern I have now about the final products graphics on any system, is the utter mess that is its lighting and HDR implementation. Over a proper calibrated HDR OLED and a normal pc monitor, over three different versions of the game, and in both SDR and HDR, I simply cannot get a good, solid result to show. The game is heavy on the shadow, with some areas being pitch black aside from your flash light. Yet, oddly, the blackness lights up grey and blue. In other words, on an OLED, black is, well, off. And in these areas, those shadows should be off. Sit in a black room, and you shouldn't even be able to see the light from the pixel. This is a huge issue for me, personally, as its ugly as sin to see. No amount of messing with the options is producing a decent result so far. I did manage to get something kinda of good on PC with no HDR, but even then, it wasn't anywhere near as good as it could be, and certainly shouldn't even need to be messed with.

Other than that, the usual complaints people are having, like "disable hud" also disables crosshair, which is stupid when you have a million PRESS X prompts on screen. And the SSR on playstation is utterly borked so badly its not even funny how this was released in this state.

But... This isn't even a demo as such, its an old, old build of the game, and I'm sure these things will be ironed out and fixed already. Some of this is babys first steps level of stupidity, stuff that even the most stupid tester would spot, so I'm sure its already been fixed.

Either way, I'm utterly moist and ready to go, and cannot play. My PC ran this at 60FPS locked in max everything, but I'll be going in xbox one X first, due to my huge ass TV. After that... PC all the way baby :D

nkarafo

I abandoned the demo after 20 minutes. Performance is horrible on a 1060 6GB, i5 4670 and 16GB RAM. Even on medium/low settings, even without fully utilizing the system, the game can't keep it's 60fps cap without tons of microstuttering and judder. I even tried locking it with RTSS (which usually fixes even the most stubborn cases) and there was no difference. Pretty awful experience, i'm probably going to pass this if i'm not 100% sure those problems are fixed.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Weird seems sharper on the Sony platforms including OG PS4
Not sure what going with the floor reflections, both Sony machines have a similar look and both MS platforms share the same reflections as each other with the exception of PS4 Pro/X1X being sharper.

nkarafo

The game also has a very washed out look. Even increasing contrasts doesn't make it look any better.

RE7 was much better graphically.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ok just did a quick test of my own to confirm the resolution issue on xbox vs pro, and I have to be honest, the result is pretty clear. The xbox is quite clearly using a higher level of AA than the pro, however, due to that, its destroying image quality and textures at a distance, for some odd reason. This is the same as what RE7 did. This is seriously... pants. Anyway, here it is on PC, take a look at the side by sides. This is on PC at 1080p to show the issue in none 4k, I've turned off film noise and that god awful chromatic aberration:

K217Tv9.png

r7dGCha.png

MXgNYGb.png

n83Xcyc.png

Handy GIF, replace the DOT, didn't want to spam the thread with pics:
https://i.imgur(DOT)com/sl41zX1(DOT)gifv
sl41zX1.gifv

As you can see... Its not actually resolution, at all, but more so the xbox version is using TAA and its utterly destroying image quality... I have no idea why they would pick such an utterly ugly ass AA method that totally destroys the image. Sadly, I can't quite tell what the Pro is using, whether its FXAA or none, because in this game at least, it doesn't appear to do much of anything. But Pro with no AA is a much better image than xbox with TXAA, however, even though its sharper, this game has a serious issue with an over sharpen filter on everything that makes the game sparkle like crazy. Leons hair is an utter mess with no AA.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Here's my performance:

Untitled.png

You can see the crazy bad frametimes that translate to microstutters on the framerate panel. And you can also see a system utilization at around 80%-85% for both the CPU and the GPU so it's not like the system is capped.

This was recorded by standing still in the starting area, looking at the backgrounds.

Edit: I managed to improve performance by.... maxing out the settings. Seriously, i maxed everything except for the textures so it won't go beyond 6GB, and the game now runs smoothly with minimal stutters compare to how it was running before. And the system utilization is almost maxed out. First time i see a game behaving this way, lol.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
I'm on a GTX 1080 & I7 8700 CPU. I found the graphics settings really helpful, actually, & was able to run the game at 1080p/60 fps just under the memory cap (without an orange warning) with zero stutter (via a steam link as well).

It's a lot better than the ps4 version I tested yesterday (obviously)n but it was good to see an out of the box good performance (weirdly though, the initial default settings upon startup had the resolution set at 4K & a memory warning).

Evilms

Banned
VGTech: Resident Evil 2 Demo Analysis

Resolution:

X & Pro: Reconstructed to 1620p.
PS4: Native 1080p.
XB1: Reconstructed to 1080p.

Framerate:

X: 59.4 fps
PRO: 59.0 fps
PS4: 48.4 fps
XB1: 40.2 fps

I tried a
Xbox one and ps4 pro and to be honest I saw no difference in visuals (I must be too old lol)

What did bug me though was that a few zombies on Xbox their heads blew up with 1 shot to the temple and on my PlayStation the same zombie took 4 shots to the temple..

Not saying one is easier than the other just that bullet damage seemed RNG.

I tried a
Xbox one and ps4 pro and to be honest I saw no difference in visuals (I must be too old lol)

What did bug me though was that a few zombies on Xbox their heads blew up with 1 shot to the temple and on my PlayStation the same zombie took 4 shots to the temple..

It's critical hits, also known as critical headshots, causing the heads to explode, and yes it's RNG and it's been in RE since the beginning.
https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Critical_Hit

Aren117

I tried a

Maybe it was a critical hit, like in previous games? My first zombie also died with 1 shot on PC. On another run, it took about 10 bullets (with some headshots).

Holammer

Here's my performance:

Untitled.png

You can see the crazy bad frametimes that translate to microstutters on the framerate panel. And you can also see a system utilization at around 80%-85% for both the CPU and the GPU so it's not like the system is capped.

This was recorded by standing still in the starting area, looking at the backgrounds.

Edit: I managed to improve performance by.... maxing out the settings. Seriously, i maxed everything except for the textures so it won't go beyond 6GB, and the game now runs smoothly with minimal stutters compare to how it was running before. And the system utilization is almost maxed out. First time i see a game behaving this way, lol.

I figured your CPU might be long in the tooth and thus bottlenecking your system, how weird. Hopefully Digital Foundry will come across this anomaly in their tests.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah I was gonna say on PC the game looked much crisper if you disabled some of the supposed to be fancy stylized stuff like film grain, lens distortion, the TAA (which doesn't fully get rid of all jaggies unlike in other games where I love the implemented TAA), CA and so on. So the PS4 looking crisper could be because it has some of that disabled. With everything enabled and maxed it ran pretty great (60fps but on 1080p) on an i7 3770K OCed to 4GHz (plus whatever its turbo function decided) and a GTX 1080 with slight overclocks on memory and core, it also seemed to maintain comfortably over 30fps in 200% super sampling but its VRAM was maxed so it could have problems. At 1080p even with maxed settings the VRAM use came up to 7.something GB MAX contrary to the menu's report that over 11-12GB are needed.

I have to say the game looks great but it's not some jaw dropping revelation or anything for me personally, various assets have a low resolution muddy look similar to stuff in RE7, the reflections can look very off depending on what's happening epsecially with the character models somehow distorting environment reflections in view, the self shadowing or something similar on character faces looks rough, etc. It's nothing like the super sharp and crisp and polished and shiny look RE5 had for its own era, it's not a next generation leap of that but something far less refined as far as I'm concerned. Still awesome, just saying.

I'll have to tinker with my preferences when the full game arrives to see what looks best disabled without disabling other effects I do like and so on. Lens distortion for example, I don't even know what it's supposed to do, it seems to mess with the fov, is it some kind of subtle fish eye lens or what? I'll have to see if I like the film grain look or prefer a sharper image quality and hopefully someone will be able to inject a better implementation of TAA that actually does get rid of all shader aliasing and doesn't make it too blurry in the process, I really like TAA in other games and the Alias Isolation fan modification.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
This is most probably using checkerboard on PRO and XBONEX, and just like RE7, CB on PRO looks better because PRO has the CB hardware and XBONEX does not...…..

CuNi

This is most probably using checkerboard on PRO and XBONEX, and just like RE7, CB on PRO looks better because PRO has the CB hardware and XBONEX does not...…..

if you would have looked a few posts up, it's actually just the AA that destroys Image quality.
XOX uses TAA. And honestly? I like it more than the oversharpened PS4 Image. Gives off a vintage look.

thelastword

Banned
VGTech: Resident Evil 2 Demo Analysis

Resolution:

X & Pro: Reconstructed to 1620p.
PS4: Native 1080p.
XB1: Reconstructed to 1080p.

Framerate:

X: 59.4 fps
PRO: 59.0 fps
PS4: 48.4 fps
XB1: 40.2 fps

Ahhh, here we go, just like I suspected.... Pretty similar results to RE7 give or take.....Cutscenes still perform better on PRO like it did in RE7.....I guess if you want a locked 60fps on PRO, you can just disable supersampling and set your video option to 1080p, that should net you a locked 60fps everywhere......

I don't think this is final code, so we shall see what final code brings, there are some issues with SSR, that shadow flickering is the same on both consoles though, but awesome effort for early code......I was told that there will be a 4k 30fps option for the final game for PRO and X, so we shall see.......Can't say much, I love when devs go for 60fps.....

CuNi CuNi
Yes, the AA pass on XBOX seems to be stronger, but I prefer the sharper image on PRO.....This game is already too dark and blurry, there's no way I'm asking for more blur for shits and giggles....

Not only is X incorporating higher graphics settings with enhanced AA, which leads to a softer image, but also has the best frame rate. You always say performance is king, right? This is a win-win for Xbox X on both accounts.

Stuart360

Wow the framerate on the base consoles suck, i didn't think it would be that bad. I tried the demo on PC last night and its not even that demanding GPU and CPU wise.

nkarafo

Is there a way to disable HDR? Since i don;t have an HDR screen, it makes the game look washed out. Apparently, it must be the same bug like in Resi 7 that also looked washed out because of bugged HDR.

Alexios

Wow the framerate on the base consoles suck, i didn't think it would be that bad. I tried the demo on PC last night and its not even that demanding GPU and CPU wise.
That's not really true, maybe the CPU side is slightly less demanding but this was my slightly overclocked GTX 1080's usage in 1080p maxed.
1ggcoy.jpg

Maybe it wasn't maxed at all points (then again the demo is just closed off indoor areas for the most part too, we'll see how other areas of the game fare) but that's a high usage for the GPU and the max shows it got higher at times too, up to 86% of a GTX 1080 and pretty much the majority of its VRAM too. And another guy in this thread with a 1060 already said it ran badly for him even in low settings.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
The way I'm seeing it, sharper image on PRO, better framerate on X during gameplay and better framerate on PRO during cutscenes, same resolution.....The X has better AA for sure.....The framerate during gameplay between the two mid gen-consoles is pretty close...….So we shall see if there was any optimization done for the final code....Still, both versions are pretty good, but for such a blurry/dark game, I prefer a sharper image......and if I want a locked 60fps I can just disable supersampling on the PRO.

The Vanilla consoles should fall lower though, maybe they should reconstruct from 540p to create a 1080p image for these consoles instead of going native 1080p.....Just like was done in Rainbow 6 Siege....

BTW, PS4 has extras like Leon's lifebar being shown on the DS4's LED and of course Audio/dialogue through the DS4...So osme neat extras at least...

Bryank75

Banned
I tried a

The obvious answer is that they are ajusting for skill level, PlayStation needs to be 4 times harder to allow for the rapid inputs and unpredictably innovative gameplay of the userbase.

Stuart360

That's not really true, maybe the CPU side is slightly less demanding but this was my slightly overclocked GTX 1080's usage in 1080p maxed.
1ggcoy.jpg

Maybe it wasn't maxed at all points (then again the demo is just closed off indoor areas for the most part too, we'll see how other areas of the game fare) but that's a high usage for the GPU and the max shows it got higher at times too, up to 86% of a GTX 1080 and pretty much the majority of its VRAM too. And another guy in this thread with a 1060 already said it ran badly for him even in low settings.
I5 6600K
16GB DDR4 Ram
GTX 980ti

I ran at 1080p, max graphics, except textures set to 'High 3gb' because of the vram issue.
The game ran at a locked 60fps for me, with gpu usage in the 50-90% range (high usage with multiple zombies on screen), and cpu usage in the 30-60% range per core.
There are much more demanding games out at the moment than this game.

Alexios

So you have a top of the line GPU from a couple years back that basically matches the various companies a step-below-top-of-the-line current cards. No shit. That would be like me saying it's not demanding because it runs fine on my 1080 non ti. That was still a 450euros card early last year, lol. Don't go by what the menu reports, my card has 8GB and the menu reported I need 11-12GB to max it @ 1080p but that still just about didn't max the VRAM usage in practice, at least in the demo. Maybe you can bump it up a good notch above the 3GB setting.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I thought this game was 4k or 60fps on the big dogs and 30fps on the base consoles. did this change?
Well when devs say 4k, it does not always mean native.....4K mode is pretty much what they refer to......For any game, unless it's counted it's not yet determined.....Meaning native.... or just a higher resolution than 1080p upscaled, cb'd or reconstructed to 4k.....

CuNi

The way I'm seeing it, sharper image on PRO, better framerate on X during gameplay and better framerate on PRO during cutscenes, same resolution.....The X has better AA for sure.....The framerate during gameplay between the two mid gen-consoles is pretty close...….So we shall see if there was any optimization done for the final code....Still, both versions are pretty good, but for such a blurry/dark game, I prefer a sharper image......and if I want a locked 60fps I can just disable supersampling on the PRO.

The Vanilla consoles should fall lower though, maybe they should reconstruct from 540p to create a 1080p image for these consoles instead of going native 1080p.....Just like was done in Rainbow 6 Siege....

BTW, PS4 has extras like Leon's lifebar being shown on the DS4's LED and of course Audio/dialogue through the DS4...So osme neat extras at least...
I agree. I would love for it to be option which AA on both pro and one X if possible. I know that while I may prefer the softer but slightly blurrier version, that's not for everyone. I just dig the vibe more that way but at the same time I'm usually the one turning it off in 99% of the other games I play as I prefer performance over looks. So to be completely honest this is a edge case for me too.

Stuart360

So you have a top of the line GPU from a couple years back that basically matches the various companies a step-below-top-of-the-line current cards. No shit.

That would be like me saying it's not demanding because it runs fine on my 1080 non ti. That was still a 450euros card early last year.
I'm just saying that there are many more demanding titles than this, but i suppose the console versions of those titles are targeting 30fps instead of 60fps like this game.

Filben

he game also has a very washed out look.
Try the different color space they offer (since RE7). Helped for me.

I'm satisfied with the PC version. 140% rendering scale of 1080p and 60fps on my 1070 with everything maxed out except for volumetric light (which is on medium).

kingwingin

Well when devs say 4k, it does not always mean native.....4K mode is pretty much what they refer to......For any game, unless it's counted it's not yet determined.....Meaning native.... or just a higher resolution than 1080p upscaled, cb'd or reconstructed to 4k.....
I meant i heard that on pro you either pick 1080/60 or 4k/30

But from these videos we are actually getting 1692p/60?

nkarafo

And another guy in this thread with a 1060 already said it ran badly for him even in low settings.
That was me yeah, the game had lots of stutters for me on medium/low but on higher settings it's smooth. I know it sounds weird but maybe the GPU was under-performing in the lower settings because it was working on a lower power profile or something. In the end, i can confirm the game runs fine on the 1060.

Last edited:

Alexios

The stutters could be a vram thing, try lowering just the textures GB setting, or just check with MSI Afterburner (works on all cards, mine is Zotac) what the usage was like after you close it.

Unless you already did, no idea, hopefully the full game is more optimized across the board since other areas could be worse and more demanding than the tight indoor spaces of the police station.

Edit: never mind you already did, just saw the post with your performance stats. That's pretty weird for sure.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I meant i heard that on pro you either pick 1080/60 or 4k/30

But from these videos we are actually getting 1692p/60?
Yes, what's being tested here is probably old code from the demo, so the final build should bring in 4k native 30fps, but not 4k native 60fps.....The 4k mode @ 60fps looks to be rendered at 1620p rez…...

Ellis

My weak little i5 2400 + GTX 960 combo is more powerful than the two base consoles, but I still got much worse performance than the PS4's variable 40-50fps.

I'm not bothered as I went wit the console version anyway, but there is definitely a lack of optimization in this old build. Finished released build will probably fare far better.

Last edited:

Fake

Is Xbox suffering of black crush? I look the comparison and Xbox looks more dark than ps4. Weird DF still not making a video about. Sad they don't even answer me on twitter anymore.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Don't really like the uncapped framerate on base PS4 in the demo. Feels juddery. I hope its 30 for release.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Ran super well for me at 3440x1440 maxed out. I'm very happy the demo and game have day 1 ultrawide support. Game looks great and runs very very well. Pleasantly surprised. My wife sat down with me and we played through it, taking our time and soaking it in(got rid of that stupid ass timer with the PC Trainer). We've played all the original PS1 versions of RE and she's not too thrilled with 4/5/6, but we both really like the direction and compromise that the RE2make is going with in balancing the shooting and exploration/survival horror aspects of the original game and newer ones. Will be a day 1 buy from me. Excited to jump back into RE2, I always thought it was the best RE game.

As far as comparisons go, seems to be a choice from a jaggy PS4 or a blurry Xbox One. Neither is preferable to me. If I had to make a choice I'd probably go for whichever one has the better framerate, which at this moments seems to point to the XBox One X being the better choice. I hope they give some options for the consoles to change a few settings. Chromatic aberration is a bit too heavy and was the only option I turned off after maxing everything out.

Last edited:

Ellis

Is Xbox suffering of black crush? I look the comparison and Xbox looks more dark than ps4. Weird DF still not making a video about. Sad they don't even answer me on twitter anymore.

Most likely waiting for the final build before making their video on the game.

A bit pointless spending money and time on it twice when this old build will be irrelevant in two weeks anyway. Understandable if it was 6-9 months ago, but it's too close to release now to really bother.

Top Bottom