• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake | PS4 vs Xbox ONE vs PS4 Pro vs PC vs Xbox ONE X | Graphics/Framerate Comparison Video

Ran super well for me at 3440x1440 maxed out. I'm very happy the demo and game have day 1 ultrawide support. Game looks great and runs very very well. Pleasantly surprised. My wife sat down with me and we played through it, taking our time and soaking it in(got rid of that stupid ass timer with the PC Trainer). We've played all the original PS1 versions of RE and she's not too thrilled with 4/5/6, but we both really like the direction and compromise that the RE2make is going with in balancing the shooting and exploration/survival horror aspects of the original game and newer ones. Will be a day 1 buy from me. Excited to jump back into RE2, I always thought it was the best RE game.

As far as comparisons go, seems to be a choice from a jaggy PS4 or a blurry Xbox One. Neither is preferable to me. If I had to make a choice I'd probably go for whichever one has the better framerate, which at this moments seems to point to the XBox One X being the better choice. I hope they give some options for the consoles to change a few settings. Chromatic aberration is a bit too heavy and was the only option I turned off after maxing everything out.
Could u please pm me a link to the pc trainer?

Dante83

Banned
I know capcom wants to keep parity, but the base consoles would have been better off with a 30 fps lock. I played it on my base ps4, and it feels so bad with that fluctuating frame rates. I can only imagine how much worse it is on the base XB1. The ps4 pro and XBX at 60 fps feels like butter and looks so much sharper.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I always had the full version of RE2 on PS, but what I'm not hearing about is how the original RE2 Preview had a timed demo too. It's kinda funny when thinking about the reactions to the timed demo now versus what they were back in the late 90's.

I finished it again on my second Xbox profile. I'm just lazy to install it elsewhere considering I preordered it. I like it.

The game is beautiful (atmosphere and the building). I'm sure we'll see a port next gen. Some parts are hard to make out due to realism IMO. I am not sure how to say it. Characters in RE7 had somewhat of a similar feeling.
IMG-5023.jpg

That is sad about the gore in the Japanese version. That part in the hallway corner was great. His skin was literally tearing or stretching off his jaw. I don't see a point in censoring it. :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
I know capcom wants to keep parity, but the base consoles would have been better off with a 30 fps lock. I played it on my base ps4, and it feels so bad with that fluctuating frame rates. I can only imagine how much worse it is on the base XB1. The ps4 pro and XBX at 60 fps feels like butter and looks so much sharper.

I've played the demo on all 3 platforms (base Xbox One & PS4 though, not the Pro & One X). The Xbox version (on a One S) feels identical to the PS4 version. I was surprised after playing the PS4 demo to find the framerate is apparently fluctuating around 40 fps according to certain tests, because it sure as hell didn't feel that way. Panning the camera around induces too much stutter IMO.

Isa

I loved my time with the demo. Across both PS4 Pro and the X. I'm going with the X, and both looked nearly identical. The only off-putting thing for me was the artifacts in the reflections on the floor in the PS4 Pro version. That sort of pixelated blur is distracting to me, kind of like the blurred shadows or some textures in Monster Hunter World as well. But I digress, the atmosphere and gameplay was awesome, amazing to see one of my favorite games getting a proper make over. I was debating playing the demo before launch but this made me want it even more haha.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Quoting myself from other thread:

So, DX12 is busted for Pascal. Retested the game in DX11 now and performance is way better and so much so, that I even bumped up internal render resolution to 170 from 160 in 1080p, shadows to High and Valumetric Lighting to Medium and never saw a deep below 65 FPS with everything else maxed (with SSAO instead of HBAO+ and Shadows Cache set ot "Off"). Granted we don't yet have a game ready driver which can probably fix DX12 performance (I highly doubt it), but given that there's literally ZERO difference in image quality between DX12 and DX11, that there's basically no need to even use the latest API and get the worse performance.

Also and on a side note, the new version of RE Engine is so much flexable and customizable, that I seriously think that Capcom can port the game to Swith no problem and I won't be surprised if they'll do just that eventualy, maybe even later this year.
Did anyone tested the demo on a 2080 in DX12?

Last edited:

Fake

For a while now ive heard that this game will support 4k/30 or 1080/60, But this demo shows it running at 1692/60. Will this be a supported graphics option in the final game?
Hope so, because base ps4/xbox really need a 30 fps cap.

Skyfox

I need to know which bloody version to buy on release day.

One X or Pro

It should be One X but the comments seem to indicate the One x is not as good as it should be and I don’t want to play the demo. I want to go in blind.

When will reviewers know which version is better? Is there an embargo?

Aggelos

I
That is sad about the gore in the Japanese version. That part in the hallway corner was great. His skin was literally tearing or stretching off his jaw. I don't see a point in censoring it. :messenger_pensive:

The gore and violence are toned down, since the JP demo is based off of the D-rated version (which is suitable to people above 17 years old)
If you grab the grotesque version which is Z-rated (meaning only for those above 18 years old) then you will find the gore.
But still, even the grotesque version might have some minor censorship when compared to the US version.

The Japanese Biohazard 7 release also came with two different ratings (the regular version D and the grotesque version Z).
Even the Grotesque version was still lacking some gore here and there in relation to the US RE7.

C00002685_305a833f0ef444799b47b9a9128c8e85.jpg

C00003542_0448c44c405544d8b21161963938dc31.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The gore and violence are toned down, since the JP demo is based off of the D-rated version (which is suitable to people above 17 years old)
If you grab the grotesque version which is Z-rated (meaning only for those above 18 years old) then you will find the gore.
But still, even the grotesque version might have some minor censorship when compared to the US version.

The Japanese Biohazard 7 release also came with two different ratings (the regular version D and the grotesque version Z).
Even the Grotesque version was still lacking some gore here and there in relation to the US RE7.

C00002685_305a833f0ef444799b47b9a9128c8e85.jpg

C00003542_0448c44c405544d8b21161963938dc31.jpg

Thanks for the info. What a weird world we live in.

The amount of gore in the Western version of this game is pretty extreme though. I haven't played something this gory in years. Even DOOM 2016 feels very toned down compared to this game and that's saying something.

Also the game has absolutely horrible rendering of black levels. I haven't seen the ugly grayish blacks in a game like what I saw here for a long time now. I hope the final build of the game fixes this. It's hard to be immersed in a dark hallway when it's a gray hallway instead of a black one. I thought I was having a problem with my TV settings so I opened some other games and they all looked right. It's definitely a problem with this game. Note that I was not running in HDR mode as my 4K TV doesn't support HDR.

I'm not planning on pre-ordering this, I'll wait for final release code and see if the engine's rendering is fixed before I consider spending any money.

It runs better on x sometimes when leon is talking his face gets blurry.

I need to know which bloody version to buy on release day.

One X or Pro

It should be One X but the comments seem to indicate the One x is not as good as it should be and I don’t want to play the demo. I want to go in blind.

When will reviewers know which version is better? Is there an embargo?

nkarafo

TAA removes shimmering and aliasing but makes the game blurry and there is even loss of detail.

However...

If your screen has a "sharpness" setting, you can increase it while using TAA and you can see the details coming back as you do it. By dialing sharpness up a few notches i got most of the texture details back, the game doesn't look as blurry as before and i still got rid of shimmering/aliasing.

Ellis

Base PS4 demo appears to be using FXAA judging by the amount of aliasing.

I hope the final PS4 build has TAA. I would rather the blur than jaggies everywhere;

Barakov

Gold Member
Oof. That's some rough performance all around. Pro seems to the best version but it still has some issues. Seems like people are having rough time even on PC. I'm hoping this a case of this just being an old, unoptimized build. I'm going to keep my PS4 preorder for now, might switch to PC if the base PS4 ends just as bad as this demo.

Last edited:

NXGamer

Oof. That's some rough performance all around. Pro seems to the best version but it still has some issues. Seems like people are having rough time even on PC. I'm hoping this a case of this just being an old, unoptimized build. I'm going to keep my PS4 preorder for now, might switch to PC if the base PS4 ends just as bad as this demo.
I covered all versions including 2 PC builds in my video at the weekend and I think aside the Base consoles that need a 30fps Cap the Pro and X run well at the 60 target. (Pro is worse than X slightly in gameplay and better in cutscenes than X from my tests). On PC from my low end FX8350 and GTX750Ti cleary sub HD and cutbacks but average around the 45fps level. I am sure more tweaks will get this closer and my Zen2700 and RTX2070 can do 4k/60 with tweaks but right now DX11 is the best choice with 12 having some issues. Remember though this is an old build and as such I am sure will not represent fully the final release. I will cover them all once it lands on my doorstep or digital inbox ;-)

Last edited:

Aggelos

US version vs Jap version !

The scenes are from the Japanese D-rated version, that's why it seems that Japan suffers from uncalled-for and unjust censoring.

Biohazard 7 had two version, the regular D-rated and Z-rated (the so-called Grotesque Version)
Same holds true with Biohazard RE:2.

So you just go out and buy yourself the Z-Version and you're done. No need to make a fuss about it.
Then again if you're squeamish and can't take too much gore and obscene stuff that's why there's the D-rated version.
Capcom Japan wants to make sure that a wider audience can enjoy Biohazard without getting them upset or disturbed with too much gore and violence.

The Computer Entertainment Rating Organization (特定非営利活動法人コンピュータエンターテインメントレーティング機構 Tokutei Hieiri Katsudō Hōjin Konpyūta Entāteinmento Rētingu Kikō) (CERO) is an organization that rates video games and PC games (except dating sims, visual novels, and eroge) in Japan with levels of rating that informs the customer of the nature of the product and for what age group it is suitable. It was established in June 2002 as a branch of Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association, and became an officially recognized non-profit organization in December 2003. It currently consists of five age categories and nine content descriptors.

• A – All ages. Formerly "All."
  • B – Ages 12 and over. Formerly "12."
  • C – Ages 15 and over. Formerly "15."
  • D – Ages 17 and over.
  • Z – Ages 18 and over only. Formerly "18." It is the only rating that is legally enforced, and it is an offence for retailers to supply material that has a Z rating to anyone under 18

Last edited:
I was hearing something about this build may even be older than the E3 build during Maximilian's stream tonight. Would be nice if that's true.

Aggelos

For those who claim that the JP version of Biohazard RE:2 is censored.
On the left side the D-Rated version of Biohazard 7 and on the right side the Z-Rated version (the Grotesque Version).
See it to yourself

The Z-Version is gonna have the gore and violence in there

Last edited:
I’m hoping that we get more effective AA methods/implementation next gen. I don’t want AA if it eliminates jaggies by just making the whole picture blurry

Traxtech

Hoping the lighting and color in hdr and non hdr is fixed in the final product. Need those deep blacks for atmosphere especially in a dark game

Fake

Digital Foundry : Resident Evil 2 Remake Demo: Xbox/X/PS4/Pro/PC - All Versions Tested!

Lol. Who here saying df not going to wasting time to make a video about RE2 because its a early build?
Well, there is.
edit: 1080p on ps4 and 1080p reconstruct tech on xbox.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol. Who here saying df not going to wasting time to make a video about RE2 because its a early build?
Well, there is.
edit: 1080p on ps4 and 1080p reconstruct tech on xbox.
I mean the first sentences talk about how this is a quick comparison and they're saving going full in-depth for the full game and it's repeated a few times in the video too. It makes sense they don't want to waste time, at the same time there was enough demand for this demo comparison too apparently :)

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Terribly disappointed in the DF video, for the first time in ages. Not a mention of the blurry Xbox x version, or the hdr and brightness problems...?

Seems... like the sort of thing people were waiting for. Shame.

Fake

I mean the first sentences talk about how this is a quick comparison and they're saving going full in-depth for the full game and it's repeated a few times in the video too. It makes sense they don't want to waste time, at the same time there was enough demand for this demo comparison too apparently :)
Its not a matter or waste or not:messenger_weary:... If fans demands or the subject give then high number of views of course they gonna do. The demo was the game most commented in gaming forums.
Look at the number of PUBG DF videos...

Anw, yikes about dx12 performance... Hope they fix in the final build. PC is missing some reflection in max settings in comparison with Xbox X.

Last edited:

PsyEd

Its strange that no one even mentioning the dolby Atmos support for X and PC....not in the demo but will be in the final retail. This type of horror genre greatly benefits from proper surround and I can't wait to hear it. So X will definitely have and edge over Pro in the sound department. I'm sure final retail capcom will polish it more for all version to look and play better.

PC demo runs beautifully. Max settings at 21:9 3440x1440 at a pretty consistent 120fps is a thing to behold, with that wide FOV it was easy to choose PC over a 4K HDR One X version. Got it for about 30 quid on cdkeys, so just waiting for that launch day.

Last edited:

demigod

Its strange that no one even mentioning the dolby Atmos support for X and PC....not in the demo but will be in the final retail. This type of horror genre greatly benefits from proper surround and I can't wait to hear it. So X will definitely have and edge over Pro in the sound department. I'm sure final retail capcom will polish it more for all version to look and play better.

What exactly does Atmos do? How much big of a difference is it compared to just 7.1?

Isa

I thought the DF video was fair, considering the potential age of the build we got to play. And a lot of games tend to shape up towards release. I played both Pro and X versions and didn't have any issues with HDR, and I don't recall blur or texture issues, but honestly I was so impressed with what's on display anyway. And the time limit didn't help me soak in the environments more. I'm really gonna take my time exploring with the full release. Also a thnx to those on here who shared the locker and safe codes lol.

dolabla

Why does it look washed out on consoles in those comparisons?

Looks like they just left it on the default video settings. It's very much washed out if you leave it there. You definitely have to adjust those square patterns (at least on console versions) when you first boot up the game. Hopefully they will have this fixed in the final build to where you don't have to do that.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Looks like they just left it on the default video settings. It's very much washed out if you leave it there. You definitely have to adjust those square patterns (at least on console versions) when you first boot up the game. Hopefully they will have this fixed in the final build to where you don't have to do that.

That shouldn't matter if they are capturing these through a capture card though right? Unless the slider is in default a too bright of position.

Top Bottom