• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3, new info from OXM (POTENTIAL SPOLIERS)

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
-The devs kinda' used Mr. X as a way to gather some feedback on Nemesis, though their goal all along was to make Nemesis a more terrifying and tense foe than Mr. X in nearly every way.
-There's some unexpected environmental pauses to be had in RE3... Like the classic red explosive barrel. Do you use it immediately on some zombies right now, or save it for later to be able to use it as a mighty blow against Nemesis?
-Nemesis the first time you drop him after a major story moment can drop rare items for you to pick up from wherever you down him at.
-The dodge mechanic has some context-sensitive actions Jill can do if you pull off a perfect dodge against specific types of attacks. One example is Jill does a unique animation if you perfect dodge one of Nemesis' tentacles.
-There are certain areas the game is kinder and will give excuse why Nemmy can't follow and give you a breather, but one of the main goals of the remake was to make him a rather consistent threat. Not always chasing you but the possibility he could chase you there stays true.
-They've designed Nemesis AI with actually not being relentless, if he's always chasing you that'd get tiring fast. His AI works to dynamically sorta' direction his moves, and give the player breathing room as well.
-Capcom have worked a lot on AI for this title in general, talking about making monsters react more to the environment and situations, and how they can work together, separately, etc. They even talk about how they've made the zombies behave differently whether they're alone or if there's several zombies around and they're in a group.
-Hunter Beta's are confirmed to be in the game as well.
-Say Raccoon City is a LOT bigger than it's been previously. They designed a lot of the city, it's not open world but they designed it so you can explore quite a few streets and even stores and buildings of the town, and have multiple paths through the city to take.
-Jill can unlock more pathways in the Subway System to new parts of the city as a form of fast travel. As you get further in the city, the Subway becomes kinda' your hub to connect all the different parts of town.
-There's a lot more side stuff you can do than RE2 or the original game, often times there's optional back-tracking the game gives you... You have a code to unlock a weapon tack in another part of town now, but do you want to trek through the city and risk facing enemies you left, or worse, Nemesis showing up while you do so? There's a lot of optional distractions, route planning and risk and reward going on here.
-Carlos is playable and has more playable sequences, but he doesn't have his own campaign. He also may show up as you go through the city as he's around looking for survivors as well. They put a lot of focus on making Carlos rough around the edges, but reliable and likable.
-Small thing, but they confirm in the sewers if you walk through grime or under a running pipe, the grime does stick to you for a bit before dissipating. Look how far video games have come!
-Sound design has been a big focus, fully supports surround sound systems and did a lot to make everything "sound" right with a city going into chaos.
-There's a slight hint that there may be a couple new monsters in RE3 that weren't in the original, but you'll have to wait to see.
-The team focused on having one consistent story rather than different ways events can go down. That said, they did a lot to make the story have more depth and stand-out. They say the story fleshes out Jill, Nemesis, and the UBSC a lot more than the original did. This is a classic story of Jill vs Nemesis, and both of them have history and reason to be struggling against one another that'll be more fully explored. Hint we'll dive a lot more into Jill's character, and Nemesis as a monster. They hope people will be really satisfied with what they've done and added to the story.
-Being asked of returning locations or stuff from RE2, it's answered that you may notice "a few things" when you go through the game. Hint also as this game takes place a day before and a day after RE2, you may also see some before and after things.
-The team hopes Resident Evil fans will be impressed with their reimagined Raccoon City. It's an iconic location for the series and they really wanted to get it right, and crammed a ton of attention to detail into the city they hope fans will appreciate.
-OXM say what they've played so far is "extraordinary", and if the rest of the game can keep up the quality of the 2-3 hours they played, it's going to become a classic Resident Evil game.

Last edited:

Aggelos

hNmtigR.png

-Spiders are confirmed to be in the game! They have a tendency to scuttle all over the place, sometimes towards or away from you, or drop on you from the ceiling. (Also confirm Drain Deimos and Spiders are separate enemies in RE3 and behave differently.)

Wow, if it proves to be true.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Spiders and grave digger confirmed?! Nemesis can get into save rooms?

Do you have a URL source or scans for this?

EDIT: I found scans, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them. Anyway, everything in the OP is confirmed in the article.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Thanks for post!

Hmmm... The only thing I'm unsure about is the confirmation about the return of giant spiders and the Grave Digger. The way it's worded in the article makes it sound like they are assuming these monsters will return instead of having encountered them themselves. They also seemed to have confused the Drain Deimos for the Brain Suckers so... I don't know. This doesn't seem to be a confirmation for returning enemies. :/

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
YES! My suspicions were correct, Nemesis choices are dynamic and not a "stop and choose" thing. That's all I wanted to read/know, I'm going in blind for everything else.

Aggelos

Hmmm... The only thing I'm unsure about is the confirmation about the return of giant spiders and the Grave Digger. The way it's worded in the article makes it sound like they are assuming these monsters will return instead of having encountered them themselves. They also seemed to have confused the Drain Deimos for the Brain Suckers so... I don't know. This doesn't seem to be a confirmation for returning enemies. :/

Second that.

Spiders and Grave Digger ARE NOT 100% confirmed. More like speculated and hypothesized to return.....

SuperGooey

It's already spreading like wildfire over forums and twitter that "spiders are confirmed".

I think some people are going to be confused and disappointed when they actually play the game, but if they actually do return, then I'll be super happy. The Grave Digger absolutely must return no matter what, though.

Last edited:

dan76

Second that.

Spiders and Grave Digger ARE NOT 100% confirmed. More like speculated and hypothesized to return.....
yeah, I was about to post this. The producer doesn't mention the spiders at all, there's just a small column about returning enemies, but they're not confirmed. The fact that the Deimos kind of move like spiders might mean they're in, but I'll believe it when I actually see it.

Other than that everything else sound great (Nemisis might be a drag, hope he's more interesting than X in the last game, but it is what it is). 4 weeks... 4 damn long weeks dodging a real virus...

Aggelos

It's already spreading like wildfire over forums and twitter that "spiders are confirmed".

People should be checking and double-checking their sources in this day and age of fake news and charlatans who just pull horse-sh*t out of their arses just to get attention.

SuperGooey

People should be checking and double-checking their sources in this day and age of fake news and charlatans who just pull horse-sh*t out of their arses just to get attention.
Yeah, especially since the producers have been pretty tight-lipped on this game. It seemed pretty out-of-the-blue that OXM was all of a sudden allowed to reveal major returning enemies that haven't been shown yet.

I really, really hope I'm wrong. I want every RE3 enemy to return, plus some new ones!

Aggelos

Hahahaha! Now it is confirmed that Nemesis CAN'T enter save rooms. What a shitty article.

I wouldn't say a bad article, necessarily, but rather charlatans and crooks who played up everything and read too much into the lines, without having official confirmation about Nemesis' A.I. and the existence of spiders.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

I wouldn't say a bad article necessarily, but rather charlatans and crooks who played up everything and read too much into the lines, without having official confirmation about Nemesis' A.I. and the existence of spiders.
They fucked up. Now lets see how many major gaming sites report this as fact without fact checking.

WindomURL

Nemesis is the RE that I played the least as a young'n and so my hype isn't as strong as it was for RE2R, but from the descriptions and info coming out it's starting to sound like an overall more engaging and polished experience. Getting excited!
Thanks op.

SuperGooey

I asked OXM on twitter to clarify if the enemies they said were returning (like the spiders and grave digger) were encountered during their playthrough, or if they just assumed they'd return based on them being in the original RE3.

Based on how they handled getting the save room thing wrong (they didn't admit they were wrong), I doubt I'll get an answer.

Top Bottom