• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Reveal Trailer (April 3rd 2020)

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Looks like a Netflix original again.

I had fun with RE2 so I'll buy it but I ain't expecting much. They are really avoiding the mini skirt. Smfh

Last edited:

Aggelos

It's a bit lazy but I'm okay with this. The zombies were fine in RE2 and there were a lot of different types. I assume there will be some new ones in this too but remaking every zombie just for the sake of being different when the game uses the same engine and is set in the same location as RE2 seems like a massive waste of dev time to me.

Same here. Those RE2Remake zombies were pretty amazing and deeply renewed. The dev team said that people had been growing bored with the classic zombies and they started treating them as weaklings. Thus the team went to town and great extents to great pretty tough and scary zombies. There was considerable variety among the zombie types and everything flowed nicely.
RE3Remake has been in development quite some time now, so re-use of assets is certainly a viable option for production costs.

I guess this is the surprise title that Jun Takeuchi teased being in development by his Dev Division 1 during a famitsu interview, back in December 2018 (Jun Takeuchi is the head of Capcom Development Division 1 => the people who've made RE Revelations 2, RE7, RE2Remake and DMC5 just to mention a few of their handiwork). He said that people would go like "Wow!? They're really making that one?"

As S. R. Hadden so eloquently once said, in the flick Contact --> "First rule in government spending; why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?' "

Why build one remake (namely RE2Remake) when you can have two two at twice the price?

This topic needs a certain gif

URKusZi.gif

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
The quick turn around and the reused assets are making think this is a fairly low budget affair especially with Resistance being rolled into it.
It'll no doubt have way less life to it than RE2. Only one playable character (bar a small section), one scenario. RE3 back in the day was already a way shorter game than classic RE2. If Resistance wasn't in there, I think the game would barely be worth full price. I gonna guess the story is about 5 - 8 hours long for your average Joe, most single player only games these days are pushing into the 20 hour mark.

My only real question is whether Resistance was always meant to be a part of RE3 or if Capcom, seeing that Resistance was getting flak online and that RE3 would be criminally short, decided to bundle them.
When Jill first sees him, he wasn't dead yet, as there's no blood pool underneath him. He was only unconscious, although mortally wounded. Later when Jill backtracks to the same room, Marvin is no longer there.
There are some issues with this:
-The blood trail is there leading from the big room to the office where Marv is meant to have crawled and died, I mean that's his blood. This is clearly just because Capcom reused the room asset from RE2 when Marv was already dead

-There are zombies in the room with Marv (about 3 of them)... If he wasn't dead he'd have been killed, unless zombies are like Xenomorphs and just don't attack infected people? This isn't the case at any other point in the franchise

-Marv is in the exact same place he's sitting when Leon/Claire find him when he turns into a zombie, so he's where he dies in RE2

-Jill says he's "been fatally wounded". Whilst she doesn't say he's outright dead, generally whenever someone says in past tense "fatally wounded" they mean that the wounds they have have led to their death, something you can only judge after the person is already dead (if you get shot in the head and are still alive you're mortally wounded, if you die as a result in hospital later on you were fatally wounded, you can't be "fatally wounded" present tense). The notion that after declaring him fatally wounded, Marv then went on to survive over 24 hours, of which he regained consciousness, moved to the lockers, had a conversation, then moved back to the office is just silly

-The idea that Jill finds a person -and a person she actually knows- who is alive but seriously injured and pretty much declares the guy a lost cause and leaves him to rot, unconscious on the floor is a massive stain on Jill's character. She's no boyscout like Leon, but she'd have to be an outright villain to do that

You really have to jump through some massive illogical hoops to declare that Marv is actually still alive and RE3 doesn't have a plot hole. Though him not being there when you backtrack is new to me. Though I looked it up and I don't see anyone else mentioning this?

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Regardless whether RE3 is good or not, that was a bad trailer.

Too much time of the RE3 trailer was spend showing RE2's trailer, then we cut to first person which is confusing for consumers. This first person moment worked in RE2's reveal trailer when we didn't know it was Resident Evil, but it doesn't work when we know it's RE and just want to see the game. Then we cut to really awkward looking character models (why do they look worse than 2?), then the trailer kinda ends. Then it comes back to show a tease of Nemesis, even though they already showed him at the beginning of the trailer. And what's the point of teasing him? We've already seen him on the game cover? Haha

Such a sloppy trailer. It's cut so badly that it makes what is probably an amazing game look sloppy.

Geki-D

Banned
Never played the original is nemesis more aggressive than Mr X in hunting you ?
He is compared to Mr. X in classic RE2. Nemesis follows you through several areas (back and forth) and can run faster than Jill. Mr X in classic RE2 pretty much just shows up in several scripted areas, slowly walks towards you and when you leave he doesn't follow. RE2 remake Mr X is more aggressive than Nemesis was. Though I'm sure that'll change in the remake.

kunonabi

It'll no doubt have way less life to it than RE2. Only one playable character (bar a small section), one scenario. RE3 back in the day was already a way shorter game than classic RE2. If Resistance wasn't in there, I think the game would barely be worth full price. I gonna guess the story is about 5 - 8 hours long for your average Joe, most single player only games these days are pushing into the 20 hour mark.

My only real question is whether Resistance was always meant to be a part of RE3 or if Capcom, seeing that Resistance was getting flak online and that RE3 would be criminally short, decided to bundle them.

RE3 could easily be it's own package if they kept the focus on multiple paths, endings, and epilogues from the original along with an expanded Mercenaries mode. RE3 was all about replayability and a higher skill ceiling than the rest of the entries.

As for the Marvin thing it isnt a big deal as the wasnt mean to be this huge interlocking piece with RE2. Outbreak's take on the police station was an even bigger mess. I mean technically there isnt a single ending from the original RE that has Chris, Jill, Rebecca, and Barry all living and everyone let that go.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I didn't expect to see this so soon. Looks good but I'm waiting for more gameplay to see what they've done with the city setting and decide if I want to play it.

The first person sequence had me wondering whether this will have VR.
It's just a cutscene

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Wow! Looks amazing.

I really enjoyed REmake 2. So I'm gonna try to get this one for sure! Thank you Capcom!!

GV82

Oh dear I messed up took me an hour to figure out there was actually trailer, so I saw the thread title as I missed state of play, I thought the thread title said

Reveal trailer - April 2020

As in the fucking reveal trailer itself wasn’t due until April, not the actual game. 😑🤷🏻‍♂️ I assumed this was just an acknowledgement of the games existence & the trailer would come out next year, I don’t know what’s wrong with my brain today, it was only when I saw “Trailer areaction to RE3” pop up on my YouTube feed that it dawned on me.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I´m excited!

Remake2 was so much fun for me. It turned out like i imaginated the original game as a young boy.

This trailer was average however. Could have been way better.

I believe and hope that the game will turn out great.

I'm there day one!

Drake

I can't believe it's ready for April of next year which tells me this game has probably been in development for a long time . Also, they're really gonna go head to head against Cyberpunk? That's ballsy.

Geki-D

Banned
RE3 could easily be it's own package if they kept the focus on multiple paths, endings, and epilogues from the original along with an expanded Mercenaries mode. RE3 was all about replayability and a higher skill ceiling than the rest of the entries.
There really weren't that many branching paths in RE3 and what was there was minor. If RE3 came out in the same state it did back in the day (with improved GFX but the exact same content) it would be deemed totally unacceptable as a full price product. Even the Mercenaries mode would need to have something like online MP added to it because that's the expectation we've got these days. Average playtime for RE3 with the extra modes is 8 hours, that's the same as just the main story in RE2 remake. And RE2 remake was seriously artificially extended because of the second scenario modes (which were barely any different than the average first scenario for both characters). I'd actually argue that even RE2 remake was on the limit of barely being worth full price compared to other full price single player games these days.

Without the second character I can't imagine RE3's main story being longer than RE2 remake and the fact Capcom are including MP with it is pretty telling to me, in that regard.

As for the Marvin thing it isnt a big deal as the wasnt mean to be this huge interlocking piece with RE2. Outbreak's take on the police station was an even bigger mess.
Sure, but it's still a plot hole they now have the chance to fix. As for Outbreak, the whole overarching plot of the franchise pretty much went to hell after RE3 anyway with a million retcons and nonsensical, lame storylines. Capcom clearly just didn't care all that much.
I mean technically there isn't a single ending from the original RE that has Chris, Jill, Rebecca, and Barry all living and everyone let that go.
lol I never let this go. How the fuck do you remake a game and not include the actual canon ending?! WTF were Capcom doing? I actually feel like after this remake, there's more chance Capcom will re remake RE1 than remake any other RE game past 3.

His appearances are random except for plot scripted places.
This really isn't true. RE3 had a pretty clear formula for when Nemesis could appear. As I said in the other thread:

Enter area - Search for items to get to the next area - Find all items and return to cash in point whilst Nemesis stalks you - Boss fight - enter new area - Search for items to get to the next area - ect...

Nemesis will never randomly appear outside of the set part of this formula unless it's a cutscene or a boss fight. Also I think he uses the rocket launch like, twice? Maybe three times? And he's actually easier to avoid when he uses it than when he doesn't.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Looks like a Netflix original again.

I had fun with RE2 so I'll buy it but I ain't expecting much. They are really avoiding the mini skirt. Smfh

The skirt is confirmed as extra outfit.
dMRRl1Q.png

However, nothing can fix the plain boring statue for the limited edition. That's like picking a figure of new Lara over the old one.

Last edited:

Aggelos

He is compared to Mr. X in classic RE2. Nemesis follows you through several areas (back and forth) and can run faster than Jill. Mr X in classic RE2 pretty much just shows up in several scripted areas, slowly walks towards you and when you leave he doesn't follow. RE2 remake Mr X is more aggressive than Nemesis was. Though I'm sure that'll change in the remake.

Ya, that is correct.

RE2Remake's Mr. X somehow became the new Nemesis, while being a constant pursuer-chaser during gameplay.
Remember that back in 1998, Mr. X was just known as Tyrant in Japan. I don't think he ever had a nickname or something. He has always been known as Tyrant.

But when Biohazard 3 Last Escape came out in 1999, Nemesis was described as 追跡者 (-> "tsuisekisha" = a pursuer, a chaser, a stalker) in Japan (and Japanese magazines, walk-throughs and whatnot). And he's been known like that ever since.

So JP audiences haven't used the nickname "Mr. X" that much.
Thus, for RE2Remake 's Tyrant, yes he ended up being a real pursuer, a stalker after all (and by that, he scared a lot of people).

Hopefully they're going to beef up Nemesis for RE3Remake.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the face they chose for Jill. It's not bad whatsoever but something about it being Jill is off-putting. Whatever though, it's RE3 and I've never really liked that game, so I hope they reworked this remake quite a bit...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks fantastic. RE:2 is in my top 3 for the year, and I actually never played more than few minutes of the original Resident Evil 3, so I'm super excited to play this.

Shantae

Banned
Is it just the youtube player, or is the frame rate really janky looking through parts of it? I can't tell, because sometimes it looks like it runs smooth.

Javthusiast

Banned
2020 looking like a hot chick who is gonna give you a handy and then just won't stop going after you are done. xD

Too many huge games coming holy shit.

PrCat88

Classic outfits look dope though Carlos still looks weird. Capcom knows how to secure a preorder. But Jill looks so much better like this than the dumb tank top design.
T0M0La1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom