• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 Remake Review Thread

I just caved and bought it. It went from Day 1 purchase to wait for a sale once I heard about the length. Buuuuut I am weak and now it's downloading onto my PS4.

Neff

What do you guys think about Jill in this one ? I have seen some people complaining about her personality.

It's fine. They played up her understandable bitterness and resentment of Umbrella hard, and that's reflected in the way she initially treats Carlos. There's much more to them both than in the original game, but it's consistent and it works.

so is this resident evil 3 remake more linear than resident evil 7 biohazard?

No. But it's even shorter.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

What do you guys think about Jill in this one ? I have seen some people complaining about her personality.
Love her, honestly. I think RE3R is the best portrayal of Jill. Capcom definitely dials up the "T2 Sarah Connor" of her personality, but that works perfectly for her after surviving the Mansion incident.

Then there is Carlos. This new version of him may very well be my favorite character in the franchise.

Nikolai is also the perfect villain. He hams it up, but is still believable in the setting of RE3R. He's basically the better version Wesker, imo.

Last edited:
So basically, those who didn't play the original back in the day will not get so dissapointed like the ones who played, is that it?

But then the ones that played RE2RE will notice that this is half the length of that for the same price. Game should have been 30-40 USD and I'll wait till that happens.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

It's fine. They played up her understandable bitterness and resentment of Umbrella hard, and that's reflected in the way she initially treats Carlos. There's much more to them both than in the original game, but it's consistent and it works.

No. But it's even shorter.
But does Resident Evil 7 Biohazard have more puzzles than RE3remake ?

Tbh I dont think Re2R was anything to write home about, but this one seems even less memorable.
Sometimes it feels more like the nu-tomb raiders,rather than a RE game.
They're both decent games RE2 is better than RE3 but not by a massive margin but I don't think they'll be as beloved as the originals were in 20 years time.

Larsowitz

Just completed the game. Took me 7.5hrs on normal.

I very much enjoyed the game, especially the later half (hospital onwards). There is much more focus on action, but I liked that. Gunplay and the Nemesis boss fights are well made. Story is actually much better than RE2, I think.

Overall a really good game.

sainraja

But then the ones that played RE2RE will notice that this is half the length of that for the same price. Game should have been 30-40 USD and I'll wait till that happens.

It's just as long as Resident Evil 2 remake. If anything, perhaps shorter by an hour.

I actually really enjoyed this. I wish they had kept more of the stuff from the original but what they did still works. It's a good fun game. I actually enjoyed this more than I did Resident Evil 2.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I really like this game, and I've realized (as I've gotten older) that Resident Evil games are so much more enjoyable on "easy" or whatever each game wants to call it. I'm just sad that this is one of those titles that puts my PS4 Pro fan in overdrive.

And I don't remember anything from the original since last time i played it was on its release.

Grinchy

Banned
It's weird how part of me misses some of the puzzle aspects and part of me doesn't. On my 3rd playthrough, I don't even feel like plugging in the damn train terminals anymore. There are like 2 points in the entire game where you have to input something for a "puzzle" and I'm already annoyed with both despite their ease.

But I do wish we had gotten a full game with the intricacy of the RE2 police station. Find this key to open this door that allows you to get the gem that goes in the eye that gives you the powder, ect. I love that stuff and it creates the potential for mixing things up to keep it all fresh. RE3 is pretty much just a 3rd person shooter action game.

Arachnid

It's just as long as Resident Evil 2 remake. If anything, perhaps shorter by an hour.
I disagree. I played both on hardcore for my first playthrough. RE3 took me a little over 4 and a half hours. RE2 was a solid 8 hours first time (8 hours is still too short for a single player game IMO), not including B playthrough. B playthrough brought it up to 12. RE2 also had plenty of unlockable single play content to mess with after the main campaign.

RE3 is easily my least favorite RE since 6 (I even enjoyed Revelations 2 more, and I didn't even really like REV2 that much).

Pansy

Honestly the critical reviews for the game seem pretty positive. It sems like more users are dissappointed with this title, and as an avid fan of the original, I can't say I blame the gamers. I ended up refunding it because $60 is fucking crazy for a game as short and linear as the remake was.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Ok. I’m really liking the Resident Evil 3 remake. I like it more than the Resident Evil 2 remake.

I’m okay with you guys attacking me. I can take it. Hahaaa.
There’s still the classic “running back and forth” “retracing steps“ aspect, which I come to expect. But I like that there’s no real puzzles. The puzzles were always ok in the RE games, but, I just feel like puzzles should be left for adventure games like Tomb Raider and Uncharted (or Indiana Jones movies)...etc. Especially because, during a zombie apocalypse, nobody has time nor would want to solve puzzles.

Top Bottom