• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 Remake Review Thread

vpance

What's frustrating is that Capcom has actually listened to critics and fans in the past. Even though RE6 is one of the best selling Capcom games ever, Capcom course corrected the series because the reception of the game.

If critics and fans weren't shills and actually criticized obvious bullshit like all the cut content in RE3, then maybe Capcom would learn from their mistakes. Instead, let's give a 9 or 10 out of 10 to a game that is clearly rushed and lacking a lot of content...

I always thought they "course corrected" due to badly mismanaged finances. That's why all the games they put out since RE7 are very modestly budgeted titles. But RE3 takes the cake though.

checkcola

Hmm, I still have RE2 Remake on my backlog, so this is an easy wait for it to price to be cut type of deal. Don't care about the multi-player.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder how fast they could crank out Dino Crisis.

I’m excited, but at the same time I feel like somethings up. They really overused that reveal image of Nemesis in the background of Raccoon City. It’s a good pic, but I feel like RE2 had much more publicity/marketing. This has been stock photos for months now. Japan getting all the in-depth looks or magazine coverage.

MiguelItUp

I remembered 3 being short but not THAT short. But it was also YEARS ago, so I guess I just didn't remember correctly.

Really wish Mercenaries could've been added as well.

Yoda

6 hours seems shorter than I remember, but it's been what? ~20 years? So maybe my memory is off. But seeing lines like action packed and streamlined is a big no-no for me. I think I'll pass or get it on sale in a few months.

5-6hrs campaign??!! GTFO! bargain bin of $20 for me most definitely confirmed.

All other resources and man power went into that online bs portion..what a shame.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Again - I will 10000% take 4-5h game rather than padding and stupid crap.
There is a reason I am still replaying max payne 2 and hl2. Amazing games with a lot of detail warrant replayability by itself and it's easier to decide "I can play this tonight and not plan next month of my life".
No respectable reviewer should mention this as an issue. RE2 was just as long

Last edited:
Again - I will 10000% take 4-5h game rather than padding and stupid crap.
There is a reason I am still replaying max payne 2 and hl2. Amazing games with a lot of detail warrant replayability by itself and it's easier to decide "I can play this tonight and not plan next month of my life".
No respectable reviewer should mention this as an issue. RE2 was just as long

I'll take RE2's remakes length which took me about 19hrs to complete with no rushing..that was an awesome experience and was definitely built by AAA team at Capcom. RE3 was rushed, or feels like it. Demo didn't blew my Hanes off.

RE3 5-6hrs entire campaign, c'mon 😕

Dr.Morris79

So get it when it's half price or get something else or work on your backlog if you have one.
My point was, it's cheeky shit to ask full whack on a mediocre game. If you're happy with that and can play it six times then fair play to you

But dont try and sell it to me as anything else

After trying Resistance I will no longer be purchasing the game. I think overall, it's clear they cut corners, and they should've been punished for it. This should've been a great game but they half assed it, tossed in another failed multiplayer project because of sunk costs and called it a day to get it released before the console cycle ends so we end up with the definitive editions with higher resolutions near the XSEX/PS5 launch date.

I will quote this post when those happen.

Orta

Banned
Keyboard and mouse controls are great in this game, I see no reason why you wouldn't use them.

Then maybe try the first person mod for your second playthrough:

I had a look at the binding options. You need to assign a third of the keyboard to in-game actions! Do you really need to use all of them?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'll take RE2's remakes length which took me about 19hrs to complete with no rushing..that was an awesome experience and was definitely built by AAA team at Capcom. RE3 was rushed, or feels like it. Demo didn't blew my Hanes off.

RE3 5-6hrs entire campaign, c'mon 😕
19 hours ?! I played it slowly and it took like 9. and 5 for another paythrough

GHG

Gold Member
I had a look at the binding options. You need to assign a third of the keyboard to in-game actions! Do you really need to use all of them?

Nope.

I just used wasd for movement, left my secondary weapon (grenades and the like) assigned to spacebar, shift to run, q for quick turn, r for reload and I think that was about it in terms of frequently used keys. The mouse buttons are what you would expect, right mouse to aim, left mouse to fire, mouse wheel to cycle through weapons.

Everything else is quite menu/inventory driven so you don't need to remember a ton of keys to do anything. As far as a game with shooting mechanics goes it's got very few keys to remember compared to other games.

Hostile_18

Banned
This would lead credence to the rumour both Resident Evil 2 and 3 were meant to launch as one.

I'm requesting a refund but "oddly" the send button wont work on Sony's PSN website. I bet they wont be in a rush to fix it.

GHG

Gold Member
19 hours ?! I played it slowly and it took like 9. and 5 for another paythrough

If you get stuck or backtrack to the police station after hitting the sewers then I can see how the hours would add up.

Took me about 11 hours to complete my first run with Leon.

OrionNebula

So, speed runners are axing RE2R in about 50 mins, so we can expect RE3R to get ran down in about, what, 30-40 mins? That’s starting to be amazingly short for that full tag price.
I mention speedrunners only because, if like me, you’ve played RE2R a bunch of times, you can easily do all 4 paths in less than 6-8 hours before long. But since RE3R doesn’t even have that, you’ll be stuck with a game you can axe in less than 2hrs before long, with no branching options whatsoever

+ Clock Tower, Dead Factory? C’mon, Capcom!

Last edited:

dDoc

Just saw someone playing the original Nemesis on Twitch. It does feel disjointed. Stupid puzzles (pebbles in statues to get an item in the clock tower? clock tower section is very short btw. Drain a pool to go down and get to the grave digger? lol) Lots of Nemesis encounters can be skipped by choosing the relevant "live" action option. Etc etc. What Im basically saying is that original RE3 doesnt hold up to today's standards.

So Capcom opting for a more realistic approach sounds good to me. But I would have expected a meatier campaign than 5 hours, expanded the city or hospital or other location. So still disappointed but remake should defo still eclipse the original.

Orta

Banned
Well that didn't take long.

God bless the perverts :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Screenshot-2020-03-31-12-27-06-117-com-google-android-youtube.png

Quezacolt

4, 5 and 6 were long games, first time i played RE4 back when it came out on the gamecube, it took me 20 hours to complete, but overall resident evil games aren't the long, they are pretty short if you rush through them. Took me 9 hours to complete Leon's campaign in RE2 remake, but that because i took it slow, tried to see everything on the first run.

It's possible that the people that finished RE3 in 5 or 6 hours just rushed through the game, gaming hournos for example aren't trustworthy when it comes to that either.

As long as the game has good replay value, wich most RE games have, even when you dont get multiple endigns/paths, i'll be happy. In this case, i just want the game to be good.

Skyr

Will start playing later this evening. Didn't play the original RE3 and really liked the demo. Think I will enjoy it.

Justin9mm

A little bit lower than expected, but I see no reason to worry for me.

One thing that is a shame for some people is the performance of the Xbox One X version (according to the reviews) which is weird considering that the Xbox One X is the current POWER KING in the console space. They should lower the resolution on the Xbox console to a hit a smoother framerate
It happens more often than not on the X. I have an X and been complaining about unstable performance with frame rate and screen tearing because of higher resolution and I'm either told im full of shit and my X must be faulty or I'm a Sony fanboy lol.

Ellery

It happens more often than not on the X. I have an X and been complaining about unstable performance with frame rate and screen tearing because of higher resolution and I'm either told im full of shit and my X must be faulty or I'm a Sony fanboy lol.

I mean it is cool that the Xbox One X actually has games running at full 4K resolution, but they should give gamers atleast the option to turn down the framerate for smooth 60fps. It is something that would hugely annoy me and one reason why I play most games on my PC, because I can change the graphic settings so I have a framerate that is acceptable for me.

Hope they are going to give options for this on next gen consoles. It would be a shame to have those extremely powerful consoles that can hit up to 12 TF and then have games ruined by unstable framerates.

Reactions: RSB
ACG - Wait For Sale. Hmmm...

I have to admit that I found the Nemesis kind of annoying in the original but I still finished it like 10 times. I might wait for the first sale (i.e. ~ 20-30% off).

When he said it was only 5hrs on the hardest difficulty with a return to locations from RE2 in the later half, that automatically threw a red flag this was nothing but DLC. but as you can see from mainstream, as they all got it for free, that doesnt equate.

Ichabod

Banned
Really disappointed in the cut areas. The final run from the clock tower to the hospital and onward were my favorite parts of 3.

Part of me hopes Capcom sees the negative fan feedback and adds the missing areas, creatures, and features back in a director's cut version. Yeah, yeah, I know. Let me dream 😪

wintersouls

I do not understand why some measure the duration of a game with what it can make you enjoy. Many of the games I've enjoyed the most in my life lasted a Saturday afternoon and weren't exactly cheap.
Did you enjoy Shadow of the Colossus less because it was short? Or a few years ago from Super Castlevania IV? And so a great list.

SuperGooey

I do not understand why some measure the duration of a game with what it can make you enjoy. Many of the games I've enjoyed the most in my life lasted a Saturday afternoon and weren't exactly cheap.
Did you enjoy Shadow of the Colossus less because it was short? Or a few years ago from Super Castlevania IV? And so a great list.
The problem is value.

Classic RE games generally can be beaten in 2 hours or less pretty easily after you have the layout of the map and enemy locations memorized. However, RE games usually have 2 campaigns, multiple endings, and unlockable game modes (like Mercenaries, 4th Survivor, etc.). In the case of the original RE3, it only had one campaign, but to get the most out of that one campaign it had:

-Live-selection pieces
-multiple endings
-randomized item and enemy locations
-a more in depth crafting system that gave you far more freedom with your play style.
-The Mercenaries mode

The remake of RE3 has none of these elements. On top of that, it even has less puzzles, locations and Nemesis encounters than the original RE3. To me, this is absolutely unacceptable, and deserves to be harshly criticized.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm just not willing to spend $90 Canadian on a game I can beat in afternoon, especially when you factor in the removal of areas and replayability. The value at that price just isn't there for me personally.

Eiknarf

The problem is value.

Classic RE games generally can be beaten in 2 hours or less pretty easily after you have the layout of the map and enemy locations memorized. However, RE games usually have 2 campaigns, multiple endings, and unlockable game modes (like Mercenaries, 4th Survivor, etc.). In the case of the original RE3, it only had one campaign, but to get the most out of that one campaign it had:

-Live-selection pieces
-multiple endings
-a more in depth crafting system that gave you far more freedom with your play style.
-The Mercenaries mode

The remake of RE3 has none of these elements. On top of that, it even has less puzzles, locations and Nemesis encounters than the original RE3. To me, this is absolutely unacceptable, and deserves to be harshly criticized.
Ohhh this new RE3 has less “running back and forth” puzzles? I like that! I wanna kill zombies

J3nga

The problem is value.

-Live-selection pieces
-multiple endings
-The Mercenaries mode

All them reviewers played on standard, maybe hardcore(or whatever it's called this time) will improve matters and further difficulties worth revisiting the game, but we yet to see that. What I'm not happy is
cut ink ribbons mechanics and cut locations.
Remakes in general supposed to push that nostalgia, but also welcome newcomers IMHO. I want to see reworked location and be able to recognize, in the demo none of the locations I could recognize.

Ohhh this new RE3 has less “running back and forth” puzzles? I like that! I wanna kill zombies

You're gonna like 4, love 5 and cum over the 6.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

All them reviewers played on standard, maybe hardcore(or whatever it's called this time) will improve matters and further difficulties worth revisiting the game, but we yet to see that. What I'm not happy is
cut ink ribbons mechanics and cut locations.
Remakes in general supposed to push that nostalgia, but also welcome newcomers IMHO. I want to see reworked location and be able to recognize, in the demo none of the locations I could recognize.

You're gonna like 4, love 5 and cum over the 6.
Oh yeah?
I’ll try

Wait! Isn’t RE4 old? Aren’t they all old?

Larsowitz

Sounds a bit like the Vanquish discussion back then...as long as the campaign is good I do not care if it is only 4-5 hours...

Would have been nice to have a mercenaries mini game though...

Top Bottom