• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 Remake Review Thread

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
A Remake of 6 1/2 hour game is 6 1/2 hours
Shocking!

Then you know that Nemesis was never the true RE3 as that was Code Veronica and Nemesis was made cause of the 3 Resident Evil games on PS2 deal Capcom made with Sony.

Nemesis was always a side story made in half the time with expermental mechanics like the dodge and leand a bit more on the action side of things.

Bullshit and I'm calling you out on this one.

Code Veronica was a project meant for Sega fans, though it has been noted as a continuation of the story from RE2, due to it happening afterwards, unlike RE3 (but originally it was far more a contiuation of RE1, as Jill was supposed to be the MC). That doesn't make it "RE3" and it was never intended to be "RE3".
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis was originally a Gaiden story that was supposed to be a small in scope story. Like a stand-alone expansion At this time Capcom had a lot of plans for various games as well for other consoles like Code Veronica for Dreamcast and Resident Evil 0 for Nintendo 64. They also began working on Biohazard 3.

The real Biohazard/Resident Evil 3:
some of these ideas got explored later in Resident Evil: Revelations. However, it was cancelled.

Instead Mikami had way too much ambitions for what he also viewed as a indie-like game. Having it span numerous areas, across a city. Not that it matters, what something was originally planned as doesn't have anything to do with what it became. And RE3 was a fullfleged game. It was a bit more action, like RE2 was a bit more action from RE1, but nothing changing things much. RE4 (not the original one, but what we got) would be the entry that truly went that road. Aiming systems, camera angles, ammunition, puzzles, etc. It was all within the style of the PS1 REs.

Source: https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_3:_Nemesis/development

Last edited:

Code Veronica was a project meant for Sega fans, though it has been noted as a continuation of the story from RE2, due to it happening afterwards, unlike RE3 (but originally it was far more a contiuation of RE1, as Jill was supposed to be the MC). That doesn't make it "RE3" and it was never intended to be "RE3".
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis was originally a Gaiden story that was supposed to be a small in scope story. Like a stand-alone expansion At this time Capcom had a lot of plans for various games as well for other consoles like Code Veronica for Dreamcast and Resident Evil 0 for Nintendo 64. They also began working on Biohazard 3.

some of these ideas got explored later in Resident Evil: Revelations. However, it was cancelled.

Instead Mikami had way too much ambitions for what he also viewed as a indie-like game. Having it span numerous areas, across a city. Not that it matters, what something was originally planned as doesn't have anything to do with what it became. And RE3 was a fullfleged game. It was a bit more action, like RE2 was a bit more action from RE1, but nothing changing things much. RE4 (not the original one, but what we got) would be the entry that truly went that road. Aiming systems, camera angles, ammunition, puzzles, etc. It was all within the style of the PS1 REs.

Source: https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_3:_Nemesis/development
Via wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_–_Code:_Veronica#cite_note-:2-11
" Around the same time, a side-story game for the PlayStation starring Jill Valentine in the events leading up to Resident Evil 2 was being developed. This title was originally intended to be a spin-off with the Dreamcast title to be the true sequel. According to IGN, Sony bartered for limited exclusivity on the "Resident Evil 3" title, and thus the side-story was branded as Resident Evil 3 and the true sequel was labeled a spin-off and later titled Code: Veronica.[9] This notion is conflicted by interviews at the time, as producer Shinji Mikami and Flagship president Yoshiki Okamoto told journalists they wanted to keep the numbered chronology on the PlayStation systems, and give subtitles to Resident Evil games on all other systems.[10][11] Regardless, the game content remained essentially unchanged.[9] "

SuperGooey

This 100%.

RE3 wasn't meant to be RE3, but neither was Code Veronica. The narrative that CV is the "true RE3" needs to end.

Last edited:
Via wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_–_Code:_Veronica#cite_note-:2-11
" Around the same time, a side-story game for the PlayStation starring Jill Valentine in the events leading up to Resident Evil 2 was being developed. This title was originally intended to be a spin-off with the Dreamcast title to be the true sequel. According to IGN, Sony bartered for limited exclusivity on the "Resident Evil 3" title, and thus the side-story was branded as Resident Evil 3 and the true sequel was labeled a spin-off and later titled Code: Veronica.[9] This notion is conflicted by interviews at the time, as producer Shinji Mikami and Flagship president Yoshiki Okamoto told journalists they wanted to keep the numbered chronology on the PlayStation systems, and give subtitles to Resident Evil games on all other systems.[10][11] Regardless, the game content remained essentially unchanged.[9] "

Look up the actual article. Literally nothing about it says that. Code Veronica and Zero were both projects for different consoles. Biohazard 3 was developed at the same time, so Code Veronica can't be Biohazard 3 and was never intended as Biohazard 3.
The reason they didn't give everything a numbered title is as he said, in order to keep consistency. Otherwise it would be weird to see RE1, RE2, RE3 (since it released before) and then RE4 Dreamcast only. It was a side project due to the failure of porting Resident Evil 2. https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_CODE:Veronica/development

There's a reason why you don't look up wikipedia for info about games, because you'll have to go to franchise wiki articles to find better material. They actually use citations from back in the days and not some stupid article written by a journalist in 2009. Heck your own citations says it directly conflicts earlier information. See the italics.

Last edited:
Now, regarding the actual reviews. Really disappointing to see them half-arse it on Resident Evil 3 remake. If anything Resident Evil 3 was prime for adding content. Instead we get a rushed game, characters changed to not be recognizible, cut content, failure of Nemesis, etc.
Back in the days I think I finished the game in 8-9 hours first time. I'd have hoped they'd push it up towards 10 hours or more, even with a more modern design.
After all, it takes place in a city, moving across different places. In concept also dealing with multiple environments and larger groups of zombies. Ammunition would be important to conserve in such a situation and puzzles would have to be solved to gain access. There was prime potential for expanding things, instead of cutting them.
Resident Evil 1 remake seems like it's still the gold standard of remakes.

Definitely not buying it until it gets discounted.

Soulsdark

People keep calling the multiplayer a '' free addition '' and it's honestly annoying the shit out of me.
It's sorta like calling the pre-order costumes a '' bonus ''.
They're not.

You pay for the full game, and the multiplayer is part of the full game just like how it is in a CoD game for example.
And the costumes are literally just cut content that is being held hostage to make you pre-order and will be locked behind a paywall later o_O...
I think that it's important to call it for what it is, because letting them play around with the language like this is how they make it sound not as bad as it really is or make it sound like they're doing you a favor for including the multiplayer part of the game.

Last edited:

Forsythia

I'm still on the fence about this one. I don't care that it's short, RE2 is short as well, you just have 2 scenarios to play. But I want that classic Jill outfit. Any chance they'll release it later for purchase? Or is it unlockable?

GHG

Gold Member
The Sphere Hunter's review:

She approaches it from the perspective of someone who is a huge fan of the series and will play through the game multiple times.

Interesting note about the in-game timer as well. Looks like 5 hours means 8 hours in reality for the first run (the timer only counts gameplay). Funny that no other reviewers picked up on this.

Soulsdark

The Sphere Hunter's review:

She approaches it from the perspective of someone who is a huge fan of the series and will play through the game multiple times.

Interesting note about the in-game timer as well. Looks like 5 hours means 8 hours in reality for the first run (the timer only counts gameplay). Funny that no other reviewers picked up on this.

I noticed that too in her review, funny how she's more professional in her review than '' real '' game journalists lol.
I mainly care about gameplay tho, I wonder if the actual gameplay part is the same, shorter or longer than a single route in RE2R for example.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No, of course not. Short skirt? Baaaaaaa stop sexualising waaameeen
16-1584975942-1537743155.png

She looks really good without it.

Maybe smaller thigs would be nice

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just for reference

RYTFhti.png

RE2 Main Story is actually shorter
Although RE2 is a longer game.
But even though it can be completed in that time I do expect most people will take over 10+ hours

Aggelos

Join John Linneman and special guest Alex Aniel as they take a look at the Resident Evil 3 Remake. How does the RE Engine deliver from a technical perspective? And how does image quality and performance stack up across all platforms - and crucially, has Xbox One X improved from its disappointing demo showing?

Eiknarf

Yeah I’m really sick of seeing people complain about game length.

it’s not penis size, people!!!

Good is good. If it’s 2 hours or if it’s 50 hours. It shouldn’t matter.

“oh that movie was great. Five stars! Oh but it was only 90 minutes so now I’m gonna take a point off. Four(4) stars! If it was two hours and 45 minutes I’d keep it at five stars!”

No! That shouldn’t be how ya judge things people

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah I’m really sick of seeing people complain about game length.

it’s not penis size, people!!!

Good is good. If it’s 2 hours or if it’s 50 hours. It shouldn’t matter.

“oh that movie was great. Five stars! Oh but it was only 90 minutes so now I’m gonna take a point off. Four(4) stars! If it was two hours and 45 minutes I’d keep it at five stars!”

No! That shouldn’t be how ya judge things people
Than it does matter : D

Thatkidgabara

Neo Member
Can't you go in to the settings of the xbox one X and manuaily change to a lower resolution llike 1440p wouldn't that get it closer to 60fps ?

Well cut content should come as no surprise, people were cool with stuff being cut in RE2. People were somewhat cool with the runs, so of course this shouldn't be a surprise.

Soulsdark

Well, I'll probably wait and get it on a sale now I guess...
I watched a full playthrough and it honestly looks like too many set-pieces.
It doesn't look like it's almost like an open world game in a sense like RE1 and RE2, it sorta reminds me more of one of those '' narrative-driven/ cinematic experiences '' games :/.
The game just wants you to move forward and not explore or figure out the best routes etc.
Just disappointing imo, I am not saying that it's going to be a bad game really but just not worth it imo at full price.

Maybe if you like those '' cinematic '' games it's going to suit your tastes but I don't.
The way that Nemesis was handled is quite indicative of what I am talking about.
I watched someone who was just awful at the game and he had no problems with Nemesis, he just threw a grenade at him and ran and Nemesis kinda just disappeared.
He didn't seem like a threat at all to me and barely appeared much.
And when he did it was just for very short sections.

He was a set-piece basically. He was treated more as a cinematic set-piece while Mr X wasn't and it made Mr X way scarier and more memorable.
A big problem with this is that it makes the game less fun on replay. Because there's no real variety and nothing new to figure out.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
It seems to be getting good reviews, but the digital foundry tech analysis mentioned that it is very linear and capcom changed the levels that made it seem worse than the original game. That seems concerning to me.

Soulsdark

It seems to be getting good reviews, but the digital foundry tech analysis mentioned that it is very linear and capcom changed the levels that made it seem worse than the original game. That seems concerning to me.

It is VERY linear, especially in comparison with RE1 and RE2.
Like I mentioned above, Nemesis is a set piece and a lot of the parts of the game are basically just running sections from him and even the sections that aren't are quite linear too.
The demo is honestly more open and non-linear than most of the rest of the game.

No joke either, but there was a scene that made me laugh at Nemesis before a boss fight.
Nemesis is pushed around a lot and doesn't come across as scary or dangerous and that scene was like the last straw where I just ended up straight up laughing at him.

At first I was kinda defensive about the game length too, but the guy I watched play the game is just truly awful at the game.
Like REALLY bad, and he got through it in 4 hours.
The kind of dude who discards 20 shotgun shells instead of just using a herb to heal himself to full in a boss battle just to get space for another herb. Someone on that kind of level of brain-dead and awful.
And he made Nemesis look like a complete joke.

I think that a big reason why it gets such good reviews from IGN for example is because it's very '' cinematic '', and that appeals to those kind of '' normies '' for a lack of a better term.
But that's not what I want in RE, it's fine a little bit but the actual gameplay reeks of it too.

I am just picking up another game instead, probably Monster Hunter Iceborne.
And I'll wait until I can find it for a '' DLC/ Expansion '' price. Because that's what it feels like to me.

Last edited:

Larsowitz

I feel people should focus a bit more on the gameplay and if the game is actually entertaining or not. I played the demo and thought the gunplay is really well made and Raccoon City is a fascinating location.

Remember the original Devil May Cry on PS2 was only 4 hours as well. Still a brilliant game...

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Almost all reviewers call it fantastic, two reviewers call it 'just good, but sometimes disappointing'.

GAF: Yeah, I'll wait for a sale.
I really enjoyed resident evil 2 the remake which was short because I waited for a sale.

Great game or no great game 5 hours is too short for a game at full price. This will also be a sale game.

It's not even just the length. The game is on rails. It's an almost braindead third person shooter OUTSIDE OF MAYBE the harder difficulty mode which I doubt any "reviewer" has took the time to look over or is competent enough to appreciate. BUT, that still wouldn't save it, because the whole game is fundamentally shit to what it should've been. The development team didn't have a great overall plan if I had to guess, since they're a B team? This is the game we will look back on in a few years and say "It's worth a playthrough, but nowhere near as good as RE2make". It's missing what makes it Resident Evil. Now I know the wishy washy, "But RE3 was always a more action focused game", except my dudes even as linear as RE3 was in its overall routing and revisiting areas, this is turned up to 11 from what we've seen because there are pretty much no revisits here. The total gametime isn't the whole picture, it's both on rails and THAT short. Not enough of the bosses even seem that interesting.

I'm not being a dick here, it will be very hard to swallow. I would "enjoy" the game if I bought and played it too, but it would be just a means to an end and in time I would accept the truth.

I'm rambling here. I am the Grinch and I'm here to ruin your Christmas. It's just passion though.

Mista

Banned
I am not justifying the cut content rubbish but the original RE3 wasn't even long to begin with

Again, I am not justifying anything and yes they should be bashed for removing content from RE2 and 3's remakes

Orta

Banned
CD Keys (have used them loads of times, never had an issue) are selling the PC version + dlc for €39.29, that's €20 cheaper than Steam.

I do have a preorder for the game still and have yet to have my refund request accepted.... so I might crack when the game releases and buy it anyway :|

J3nga

It seems most reviewers tell clear time which is NOT total time. Clear time does not track cutscenes, when you die and go back. Guy posted screen saying clear time 3h something minutes and total time over 8 hours. We complain about dull open-worlds with 5 or less hours story stretched into 30 hours, now you have your answer why developers put that in their games - you guys are not going to buy games without this formula, sad but true. Also, FYI recent RE titles have all been short, my RE7 first playthrough on 8h, RE2R - 9h(not counting 2nd run as this is one huge convention, like why Leon and Claire solving same puzzles in the same locations, killing same bosses if the events are happening in parallel, WHAT THE FUCK Capcom??? also zapping system from the original has been cut off). At least RE3 does not have this unexplainable nonsense. Either way I think it's going to sell like hotcakes during the sale, but I would pick 6h densely packed game over 30h chore that by the end you're so tired of it you just wanna puke.

but I would pick 6h densely packed game over 30h chore that by the end you're so tired of it you just wanna puke.

Absolutely agreed. I don't play half the shit people waste their time with because I want a quality product. But the problem in this is you are PRESUPPOSING this game is a 6 hour densely packed game, it's not. I've watched it like 3 times now.

Aion002

Wonder if Project Resistance will ever be available alone? $60 seems steep for it and a five hour game.
Me too.

I enjoyed the Resistance beta a lot.

But I am unsure about having to pay 60 bucks on a 6 hour game to have access to one game mode that I enjoyed.

J3nga

Absolutely agreed. I don't play half the shit people waste their time with because I want a quality product. But the problem in this is you are PRESUPPOSING this game is a 6 hour densely packed game, it's not. I've watched it like 3 times now.
I haven't played it yet, I'll make that opinion once i'll play it myself, judging it by seeing someone else playing it is not something I'm a big fan of.

Hissing Sid

No. Clock. Tower.

Yeah that sounds like two hundred and ninety nine pennies to me Capcom. That or a ps+ jobby, whichever comes first.

In the meantime I have the original on GameCube so ya’know, no rush.

Top Bottom