• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4, 5, 6 – Announce Trailer (PS4/Xbox One)

Oh that mode was fun. I was basically spraying some poor MF with some monster saliva. He was persistently tough but in the end, I nailed him. One dead Leon to go. BWAHAHAHA!

It was shit. Players would only turn it on on the easy difficulties where they only need sneeze at an enemy for it to die, if the harder difficulties did turn it on it was with infinite ammo and they were just as godly Magnuming everything that moves.

If by some miracle you did down a player, they'd quit in the moment it takes before it lets you finish them off.

Shit mode exploited by shit players.

gafneo

Banned
I kind of see what Capcom is doing their Res franchise. Make 3 or 4 games, then start off next game with a clean slate. This 4-5-6 thing looks like it was meant to be a trilogy.

Nerrel

This is one of the best trilogies/3-peats/sequence of games in the same vein in history. It's a shame they're so misrepresented by hardcore fans.

They're not misrepresented. RE6 was poorly received by most players and critics for a wide variety of reasons. If anything, it's a minority of devoted fans who are misrepresenting the game's critical problems- ie, awful QTE overloads, bland level design, linearity, generally bloated length with lots of repetition- by claiming that it's a masterpiece. I don't care how much you like the combat and controls, the rest of the game has serious problems.

RE5 in retrospect is a little better than people gave it credit for at the time, but not because anyone was wrong about their judgments when the game released. All the problems involving the lack of atmosphere/ poor partner AI /general downgrade from RE4 were fair. It's just that RE6 was that much less consistent that 5's strong and solid gameplay is much more apparent.

I'm not trying to shit on anyone for liking a game, but it irks me when people say RE6 is a great game and that those who disagree "don't get it." I've tried to like the game and have learned how to use all of the maneuvers and mechanics. I "get" the combat and huge upgrade in maneuverability. The game built around these abilities is still incredibly dull and tedious to play.

I happen to like Other M and think it deserves more credit for bringing 2D Samus into 3D, but I'd never say that the game is a classic and that the people who hate it have misrepresented it. I recognize that the game has a lot of obvious problems, but they don't stop me from enjoying it. I wish people would talk about RE6 in these terms. I just can't imagine someone playing through certain parts of RE6 (like Jake's snowstorm) and not thinking to themselves "hey, this is really shitty." There has to be some awareness that the game isn't very well designed in at least some areas, right?

Neff

'bad design' is a pretty subjective, nebulous term at best.

Personally I had no more problem with RE6's 'bad' level design than I did in any other exemplary action-driven title featuring linear paths with the odd secret detour or excursion.

Also the QTE aspect of RE6 is always extremely over-exaggerated.

Replicant

It was shit. Players would only turn it on on the easy difficulties where they only need sneeze at an enemy for it to die, if the harder difficulties did turn it on it was with infinite ammo and they were just as godly Magnuming everything that moves.

If by some miracle you did down a player, they'd quit in the moment it takes before it lets you finish them off.

Shit mode exploited by shit players.

Hmm, I don't remember there was any difficulty options when you are the monster. Wasn't that dependent on whatever difficulty the human player uses in their storyline mode?

Basically your choice was either to let invaders into your game or not to let them. I'm pretty sure I've had occasions where the players turn it on normal mode.

Hmm, I don't remember there was any difficulty options when you are the monster. Wasn't that dependent on whatever difficulty the human player uses in their storyline mode?

Yes it was based on the human-character players setting. But nobody playing Veteran or above would turn it on without also turning on infinite ammo.

Neiteio

I have a hard time believing someone can understand how to play RE6 and -not- have a blast with it. The game is amazing once you understand the core combat and mobility mechanics, and develop some mastery of them. And the level design is fine, and quite varied. Not sure I see the complaints there.

Among people who actually know how to play the game, I think RE6 is polarizing with its overambitious variety. The game throws so much at you, and so often, that it's inevitable not every person will like every set-piece.

Dusk Golem did an excellent job describing the variety. I'll paraphrase some of his examples here:

One exhibit is Jake's Ch. 3, which starts off with a stealth sequence where you're unarmed in a medical facility. The place is sterile and bright white, and feels unlike any area in the series in terms of atmosphere. Then you enter an oriental mansion that you can explore freely, searching a variety of themed rooms for keys needed to move forward (including optional ones for a secret weapon), engaging in light skirmishes along the way. Then you're running and hiding from a tank that bursts through the wall and stalks you through the courtyards. Then you're escaping the mansion on a motorcycle with enemies in hot pursuit.

Another exhibit is Chris' chapter on the aircraft carrier. Above deck, it's reminiscent of the factory/ship levels in RE5. Below deck, it's reminiscent of Revelations 1, with a pretzel-like network of dark hallways and rooms, and a regenerating enemy that can kill you in one hit. The enemy stalks you as you search for the way forward. And then after that you're flying a jet while Piers runs around the ship avoiding a rampaging giant.

The game is constantly switching gears, and someone may not like all of those shifts. But I commend the game for its variety. It's certainly never boring. :)

Nerrel

'bad design' is a pretty subjective, nebulous term at best.

Personally I had no more problem with RE6's 'bad' level design than I did in any other exemplary action-driven title featuring linear paths with the odd secret detour or excursion.

Also the QTE aspect of RE6 is always extremely over-exaggerated.

There's a quick time event for looking for keys in a car. It's not over-exaggerated.

The value of those QTE events is supposed to be that they can immerse you more when quick reflexes are required. The knife fight with Krauser was a perfect example of how quick prompts could immerse you into the action better than conventional controls could- and is in my opinion the best use of them I've seen still. RE6 throws them in constantly for no apparent reason, whether they suit the kind of actions being done on screen or not. There's a fundamental lack of understanding of what these mechanics do or why they're being applied. If you disagree, feel free to elaborate on your enjoyment of these segments and how they improve the game.
Among people who actually know how to play the game...

This bullshit again.
Then you enter an oriental mansion that you can explore freely, searching a variety of themed rooms for keys needed to move forward (including optional ones for a secret weapon), engaging in light skirmishes along the way. Then you're running and hiding from a tank that bursts through the wall and stalks you through the courtyards. Then you're escaping the mansion on a motorcycle with enemies in hot pursuit.

Our brains must be wired differently. I found those segments to be some of the most boring and aimless in the game. There were times when the palace segment reminded me of playing The Conduit in terms of sheer boredom with the gameplay and level design. Sure, it's pretty on the surface, but there's nothing inviting about the layout of the environment whatsoever and I felt no compulsion to explore it. It just just a long slog to find the item I needed and get out. Ada's segments on the aircraft carrier are another low point for me. It just felt like wandering around a huge mass of empty black hallways, fighting the same respawing enemies over and over while fetch questing for a key. There were times when I seriously had to evaluate how much I cared about progressing vs. how much I wanted to stop playing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
There's a quick time event for looking for keys in a car. It's not over-exaggerated.

The value of those QTE events is supposed to be that they can immerse you more when quick reflexes are required. The knife fight with Krauser was a perfect example of how quick prompts could immerse you into the action better than conventional controls could- and is in my opinion the best use of them I've seen still. RE6 throws them in constantly for no apparent reason, whether they suit the kind of actions being done on screen or not. There's a fundamental lack of understanding of what these mechanics do or why they're being applied. If you disagree, feel free to elaborate on your enjoyment of these segments and how they improve the game.
Oh gooooood. I love when people rip QTE except when it's their favorite game. Then it's always "perfect".

lol

Nerrel

Oh gooooood. I love when people rip QTE except when it's their favorite game. Then it's always "perfect".

lol

Do you not see the difference between making split second reactions to dodge a knife vs. looking for keys in a car? Is it not a valid opinion to think one of those things suits QTE more than the other?

I don't like them overall, but RE4 used them purposefully and generally to a good effect. RE5 wasn't quite as interesting, but they also weren't offensively out of place. RE6 just took it to a whole different level of pointlessness. Even when they were used for appropriately tense sequences, it felt like they were intruding on things that would be funner with actual gameplay. I would have liked to actually fight Ustanak a few more times instead of just hammering buttons to run from him so often.

Evolved1

Do you not see the difference between making split second reactions to dodge a knife vs. looking for keys in a car? Is it not a valid opinion to think one of those things suits QTE more than the other?

I don't like them overall, but RE4 used them purposefully and generally to a good effect. RE5 wasn't quite as interesting, but they also weren't offensively out of place. RE6 just took it to a whole different level of pointlessness. Even when they were used for appropriately tense sequences, it felt like they were intruding on things that would be funner with actual gameplay. I would have liked to actually fight Ustanak a few more times instead of just hammering buttons to run from him so often.
Quick mash square Leon THERE'S A BOULDER COMING!!!

If only Chris was here to punch it.

Edited to add : I just want to reiterate that in RE4 you mash a QTE to run away... in RE6 you actually run away from Ustank, crash b style.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

I recall the car being surrounded by a ton of zombies trying to break in, making the key search a little more urgent than you seem to imply.

I have a hard time believing someone can understand how to play RE6 and -not- have a blast with it. The game is amazing once you understand the core combat and mobility mechanics, and develop some mastery of them. And the level design is fine, and quite varied. Not sure I see the complaints there.

I feel the same way about RE5 tbh, but then again that game is harder to master and I guess the tank like controls put people off in such a fast paced action game.

Evolved1

I feel the same way about RE5 tbh, but then again that game is harder to master and I guess the tank like controls put people off in such a fast paced action game.
Some of us are literally just bad at it.

Neiteio

If someone understands how to play RE4, they'll probably understand how to play RE5, I think. You can even change the controls in RE5 so they're exactly like RE4. (That's how I play it, actually)

Blueblur1

I'm going to skip 6 and just get 5 and 4. What I've played of RE6 (Leon's campaign and Mercs) turned me off completely. I stopped playing the game and never went back to it. It's the only mainline RE game I waited to drop to $20 and the only one I never finished. I honestly hope that the one inevitable RE7 plays nothing like it and instead reverts to RE4/5 style controls and gameplay.

KyleCross

I'll certainly be up to co-oping with anyone interested. Most definitely going to Platinum the game again.

One thing I probably won't do again tho is 100% all the trophies in RE5. Even with a boosting group the MP trophies was a pretty crap experience.

Evolved1

If someone understands how to play RE4, they'll probably understand how to play RE5, I think. You can even change the controls in RE5 so they're exactly like RE4. (That's how I play it, actually)
Nope. These RE5 players are hardcore, and on another level. Inventory management during ladder, melee, recovery animations, they use the grenade for quick turning, exploiting invincibility frames, etc, etc... that's high level play and none of it's from RE4.

Neiteio

Nope. These RE5 players are hardcore, and on another level. Inventory management during ladder, melee, recovery animations, they use the grenade for quick turning, exploiting invincibility frames, etc, etc... that's high level play and none of it's from RE4.
You mean like this Mercs run I posted in my RE5 love thread. (Not my video, although I do inventory management during i-frames, albeit slower)

I'm aware of all that. I just meant in terms of core combat and mobility, the basic skills are transferable from RE4 to RE5.

Neff

The value of those QTE events is supposed to be that they can immerse you more when quick reflexes are required.

They're not 'supposed' to do anything, but what QTEs are good at -and have been since they were invented- is to allow player participation during scenes where established controls aren't feasible or possible.

The key hunt scene I enjoyed simply because of how mundane and ridiculous it was in the face of increasing tension and impending doom, and the catharsis of accelerating out of danger was palpable.

Evolved1

You mean like this Mercs run I posted in my RE5 love thread. (Not my video, although I do inventory management during i-frames, albeit slower)

I'm aware of all that. I just meant in terms of core combat and mobility, the basic skills are transferable from RE4 to RE5.
Okay, my bad. He had specifically referred to "mastery"so I was just responding that the really high level stuff isn't something previous RE4 experience would instill.

RSB

Banned
US Capcom blog was the only one that mentioned retail releases. I wouldn't be surprised if Europe is waiting for them all to come out to pack them together.
Yeah, this is what I'm expecting. I'll buy all 3 games individually on Xbox One and when they release the Action Trilogy Remaster (or however they end up calling it) I'll buy it on PS4 to have a physical version (and to play them again LOL)

Nice, looks like the MP achievements are still separated from the actual platinum just like on PS3. Thank goodness, I want the play but couldn't bring myself to do all of the mp stuff again.

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4389-RESIDENT-EVIL-6
Thank god (I hate MP trophies)

Really glad that Capcom confirmed all of the RE Net DLC being included with RE6. Now everyone can be the superior Leon

RE6_Mercs_Image_Leon_EX3.png

Oynox

Core hopes: They add a better control option for RE4 and they include that bonus mode in RE5 which was censored in Germany in the beginning-

Top Bottom