• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4, 5, 6 – Announce Trailer (PS4/Xbox One)

The PS4 version of Resident Evil 6 does not have AA. Or at least not full AA. PS4 version also has more motion blur.

I left motion blur on on the PC version (on PC it can be turned off) but motion blurring is used much less on the PC version.
Lighting and beams from the flashlights are not as good on PS4 either.
If I had to guess, the PS4 version is about the same as medium settings or medium with some low settings on the PC version

PC Max settings screenshots I took on 25 out of 40 brightness setting:

PC version Max Settings. FXAA3XHQ on.

http://abload.de/img/bh62016-03-2510-01-53fhqbw.png

http://abload.de/img/bh62016-03-2509-44-073hp2h.png

http://abload.de/img/bh62016-03-2509-48-04w7pap.png

http://abload.de/img/bh62016-03-2509-59-01yqr4g.png

http://abload.de/img/bh62016-03-2510-09-13iqquo.png

http://abload.de/img/bh62016-03-2510-12-13nlpuz.png

The PS4 version with brightness turned up to 40 out of 40 brightness is still darker than the PC version on Max Settings at only 25 brightness:

PS4 screenshots 40 brightness.

PS4 version:

http://abload.de/img/mygreatcapturescreenshlodb.png

http://abload.de/img/mygreatcapturescreensghrdr.png

http://abload.de/img/mygreatcapturescreensfcp7c.png

http://abload.de/img/mygreatcapturescreensgmoiu.png

http://abload.de/img/mygreatcapturescreensdpoto.png

http://abload.de/img/mygreatcapturescreensoqorq.png

VIDEO of me playing the PS4 version. Helena NO MERCY mercenaries mode on Creature Factory map.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwKdIRiyJuM

Rescuing Deborah and boss fight (PS4):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTYObKc2aSs

Local independent store sold it early.

Resident Evil 6 is still a bad game. Easily the worst numbered Resident Evil title in the series.
Overall I'd give it a 5.5 out of 10 with its lowest points being a 3 to 4 and its best sections about a 7.5.

By comparison I would rate the other Resident Evil games I completely finished as:

RE4 : 9.3
Resident Evil 1 Remaster: 9.0
RE5 : 8.4
RE Code Veronica: 5.0

YAAAASSSS!!!!

Can't fucking wait to play this wonderful disaster again! (^_______^)

Shoot the dynamite!!!!

Manu

For starters, Revelations doesn't waste your time with frequent and annoying QTEs like RE6 does.

No, it wastes it with pointless backtracking, an annoying hacking minigame, and entire chapters dedicated to Keith and Quint.

That's so much better.

RedSwirl

Main RE games tend to swap characters in and out in turns, but RE6 and the Revelations games kind of broke the pattern. Capcom even made a big deal about it being the first game with both Chris and Leon playable. They tried to make it feel like an ensemble game. Traditionally you kind of have two different "casts," the RE1 cast and the RE2 cast, or alternately the odd-numbered cast and the even-numbered cast.

RE1: Chris, Jill. Wesker as antagonist.
RE2: Leon, Claire, Ada
RE3: Jill, one-off character
Code Veronica mixed things up a bit with Claire and Chris. Wesker returns as antagonist.
RE4: Leon, Ada.
RE5: Chris, Jill, one-off character (as far as we know). Wesker returns as antagonist.
RE6: Chris, Leon, Ada, Wesker Jr., Sherry, one-off character.

I don't know if Capcom is taking the Revelations games into account regarding the character pattern, but either way it's about time Jill returned to numbered Resident Evil. RE5 was seven years ago. I agree that RE6 definitely positioned Jake as a new protagonist. Seems like a common trope to introduce a new generation of heroes with the child of a previous villain. I was thinking it was Claire's time to return too until Rev 2.

Neiteio

The backtracking in RER1 was great. I just replayed it recently and there were three or four custom parts that were completely optional that you can get by backtracking, using keys you collect later in the game. You have to face new arrangements of enemies, but the reward powering up your character is worth it.

Vashetti

Banned

Manu

i think it would be refreshing and cool to have an RE game with mostly all women - imagine having Helena, Jill, Claire, Sheva, Ada all in the same game!

Well, Rev2 had Claire and Moira, and then Barry and Natalia. Three women and just one man.

Akiller

Rev series could be a chance to bring back more characters i guess.

The backtracking in RER1 was great. I just replayed it recently and there were three or four custom parts that were completely optional that you can get by backtracking, using keys you collect later in the game. You have to face new arrangements of enemies, but the reward powering up your character is worth it.

This, also Queen Zenobia is a really cool location.

Manu

The FOV option was added quick after launch and it was great

Yeah, I know, but you still had to adjust it in the options.

On these videos it seems to have been pulled back by default (unless the uploader changed it himself.)

kc44135

I agree with this. I loved the backtracking in RER1. I'd really missed it in the series. That kind of level design is why I love the old RE's so much, and why something like RE6 with it's practically on-rails level design was so disappointing (although I think the actual gameplay mechanics are brilliant, personally). Backtracking helps to reinforce a sense of place, and I think it can heighten immersion. It's also just genuinely fun and satisfying to find a locked door or chest, and then finally be able to open it hours later and discover something cool on the other side. I really, really hope RE2's REmake has that style of level design. In my mind, it's essential for a Survival Horror game.

DOWN

Banned
I hope Sheva returns but we all hope they totally dump co op for the main story right?

Co op should be like a 4 hour side campaign that we all want to play, but using it in the central campaign kills the suspense and isolation that was key to much of RE4's brilliance. There's something to be said for having to walk the halls of an opulent and unfamiliar building with no one there to warn you of trouble.

Mr_Zombie

Anyone remember the promo live action videos on the RE5 site around the time the game was coming out?

One of them showed Chris (post-RE5 campaign) attempting to give a speech, and he appeared to be suffering from PTSD, and Sheva was in the crowd watching, concerned. Seemed like a really interesting angle I wish they'd gone down.

Well, they kind of did this in RE6, where Chris suffers from amnesia (and lives in denial) after the incident in Edonia. And then when he keeps loosing more team members in Lashaing, he become more and more reckless, driven by madness.

Also, RE5 viral ad Chris was hot <3

DOWN

Banned
Well, they kind of did this in RE6, where Chris suffers from amnesia (and lives in denial) after the incident in Edonia. And then when he keeps loosing more team members in Lashaing, he become more and more reckless, driven by madness.
It's just disappointing that it was so standalone from RE 5 and Sheva

IvanJ

Banned
I hope Sheva returns but we all hope they totally dump co op for the main story right?

Co op should be like a 4 hour side campaign that we all want to play, but using it in the central campaign kills the suspense and isolation that was key to much of RE4's brilliance. There's something to be said for having to walk the halls of an opulent and unfamiliar building with no one there to warn you of trouble.

Absolutely disagree.
Coop is the best that happened to RE, both 5, 6 and Revelations 2 were much better games due to co-op.
I definitely hope they continue providing couch co-op fir the story, raids, mercenaries, PvP, everything.

DOWN

Banned
Absolutely disagree.
Coop is the best that happened to RE, both 5, 6 and Revelations 2 were much better games due to co-op.
I definitely hope they continue providing couch co-op fir the story, raids, mercenaries, PvP, everything.
Literally none of those have reached the praise of RE4 in both creative direction and atmosphere. They did great on gameplay as usual, but they hurt the franchise in the sense that they are distinctively unable to capture the tone of the most positively received entries in the series.

Kuraudo

Banned
Anyone remember the promo live action videos on the RE5 site around the time the game was coming out?

One of them showed Chris (post-RE5 campaign) attempting to give a speech, and he appeared to be suffering from PTSD, and Sheva was in the crowd watching, concerned. Seemed like a really interesting angle I wish they'd gone down.

Oh wow, those ads are a blast from the past. I remember really liking the campaign at the time, even if it feels tonally off compared to the game (the No Hope Left one had similar issues).

kc44135

Literally none of those have reached the praise of RE4 in both creative direction and atmosphere. They did great on gameplay as usual, but they hurt the franchise in the sense that they are distinctively unable to capture the tone of the most positively received entries in the series.

I couldn't agree more with you. Resident Evil used to be a tense amd isolated expirience. Co-op really hurt the series in my opinion, and while you can play RE5, 6, and RER 2 solo, you'll still be stuck with an (largely incompetent) ai the entire time. It really takes away from the experience. Co-op can definitely be a lot of fun, but I believe it would be best left to extraneous modes like Raid and Mercenaries.

Neff

The backtracking in RER1 was great.

Hmmm...

Imo the 'good' kind of backtracking, which classic RE uses, is the Metroidian kind, where a game allows dramatically optimised play time by making use intelligent use of shortcuts which clearly define an optimum path once you've learned it. The reasons for backtracking usually end up being pretty good too, since they often turn out to lead to entirely new stretches of game.

Revelations does this only a couple of times, and leads you to nothing more than weapons and part upgrades. Other than that, it's a very linear game, and its detours aren't very substantial or intelligently designed. It doesn't reward good navigation in the same way. There's a good reason to visit almost every room in classic RE, but the order you visit them in changes your game significantly. Revelations basically amounts to a bunch of extra corridors outside of the main route to poke around with using the Genesis device (which is tedious in itself), and like you say, many of them are optional.

Backtracking is a hard thing to do well. When it's great, it's awesome. When it's bad, it's incredibly dull. Revelations unfortunately ends up in the latter category imo.

I couldn't agree more with you. Resident Evil used to be a tense amd isolated expirience. Co-op really hurt the series in my opinion, and while you can play RE5, 6, and RER 2 solo, you'll still be stuck with an (largely incompetent) ai the entire time.

Ada's RE6 campaign brings this feeling back, if fleetingly, and it's pretty great.

For better or for worst(worst for me), the main RE series is never going back to being solo only. They're going to cram in co-op til the series becomes unprofitable and /or dies.

The truth is that no matter how good the game actually is, co-op always seems to elevate games several points higher than if it were solo. People like playing games with their friends, even if it's mediocre or just bad. There's some pleasure to it.
That's why playing by yourself in RE5 or other games that were made with co-op in mind feel hollow/shallow in comparison to games specifically made to be played by yourself. You feel something missing.

Honestly, Dead Space 3 did it right/better, too bad that the story they told and the gameplay changes they made weren't very good. Someone else needs to come along and perfect that method. RE could do it. They probably won't though. Their games still sell butt loads.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Thanks :D Bought it for just under £18 quid. Hopefully I won't get any extras fees. Heard its basically blind luck if you do or not.
The value is too low for any extra fees, and if you choose the economy standard shipping it slips under the radar anyway most the time.

Um... the PS4 version of No Mercy does not have the same ammount of enemies on screen as the PC version.

Right?

Or maybe there's more enemies in DUO but I don't recall there being so few enemies in No Mercy.

Neiteio

Hmmm...

Imo the 'good' kind of backtracking, which classic RE uses, is the Metroidian kind, where a game allows dramatically optimised play time by making use intelligent use of shortcuts which clearly define an optimum path once you've learned it. The reasons for backtracking usually end up being pretty good too, since they often turn out to lead to entirely new stretches of game.

Revelations does this only a couple of times, and leads you to nothing more than weapons and part upgrades. Other than that, it's a very linear game, and its detours aren't very substantial or intelligently designed. It doesn't reward good navigation in the same way. There's a good reason to visit almost every room in classic RE, but the order you visit them in changes the your game significantly. Revelations basically amounts to a bunch of extra corridors outside of the main route to poke around with using the Genesis device (which is tedious in itself), and like you say, many of them are optional.

Backtracking is a hard thing to do well. When it's great, it's awesome. When it's bad, it's incredibly dull. Revelations unfortunately ends up in the latter category imo.
It's perfect for the kind of game Rev is, e.g. modern RE. Backtracking through old areas with new enemy arrangements and choosing the optimal path there (i.e. upper vs. lower cabins to reach anchor door) and receiving high-performance weapons/upgrades is a fun and meaningful way to enhance the modern RE formula. I also like the touch of purifying the solarium and remembering to revisit a few chapters later when the purification is done, granting access to a whole treasure trove of items. Heck, even the shotgun is purely optional and requires substantial backtracking.

It's like backtracking for the Broken Butterfly in RE4, only much more elaborate and done multiple times, and for more important items (weapons and parts you can't otherwise get). I'd love to see more of this in RE7.

Deku Tree

The thing I don't like or don't understand about this response is this comment:

Sorry, this will be a standalone release. IIRC, both PSN/XB1 doesn't have a cross-generation upgrade program or a back end system in place to support such feature. (e.g., own title X and get Y discount on title X 1.1.)

Maybe it's impossible to "get a discount on title X", but Journey was free digitally on PS4 if you already owned it on PS3. Anyway it isn't happening so thanks for the info.

Drewfonse

Do people who order from amazon get the the game on release date?
Or you have to wait for 2 day prime shipping?

Yeah, just ordered it via Prime for the One, and got free release date delivery. Plus Prime savings. Even including tax, it was only $17.35. I'm excited. Hopefully I'll finish it this time hahaha

I asked earlier with no reply:

I want to buy RE6 for Mercenaires but forgot if you need to play the story to unlock anything (levels, characters, ect) for that mode. Do you?

Dreamer RD

I want to buy RE6 for Mercenaires but forgot if you need to play the story to unlock anything (levels, characters, ect) for that mode. Do you?

Yeah some levels and chars are story locked. Mining the depths for example (from Jake campaign)
But that was on PS3/X360. Since we have a PC port, maybe things are different there. Need PC players opinion.

For better or for worst(worst for me), the main RE series is never going back to being solo only. They're going to cram in co-op til the series becomes unprofitable and /or dies.

The truth is that no matter how good the game actually is, co-op always seems to elevate games several points higher than if it were solo. People like playing games with their friends, even if it's mediocre or just bad. There's some pleasure to it.
That's why playing by yourself in RE5 or other games that were made with co-op in mind feel hollow/shallow in comparison to games specifically made to be played by yourself. You feel something missing.

Honestly, Dead Space 3 did it right/better, too bad that the story they told and the gameplay changes they made weren't very good. Someone else needs to come along and perfect that method. RE could do it. They probably won't though. Their games still sell butt loads.

But while some people feel that way, many more do not. This is why games like RE6 and DS3 are are so divisive and, to many, are the worst games in the series.

Coop is hugely appealing to a set group of players. It is hugely unappealing to another. It's a no-win situation, which is why games should either be envisioned as coop games from the first line of code or not have it at all. Something should either be or not he a coop game. When a game tries to do both, or please both, you inevitably fail.

That's just my two cents. I hate coop and hate playing campaigns with friends. If a serial killer told me to play RE6 coop with my friend or they will be sawed in half, I still wouldn't play it.

Imagine a serial killer has tied me and my closest, dearest friend to metal chairs. A bare lightbulb dangles from the ceiling. Our hands are cuffed in front of us, bound to controllers, and a flickering 32" TV displays the start menu for Resident Evil 6.

"Play," says a heavily disguised voice. The layers of reverb make it sound monstrous. "Play with your friend, or they will die." A saw blade whirls behind them.

"I will be Chris," I say, swallowing hard.

"Okay... I will be Piers," says my oldest pal, with whom I have grown up alongside. But before he can opt in, I press start.

"What are you doing!?" They cry. But they know what I am doing. I have made my decision.

"I'm sorry, friend. I must do this alone," I say.

They are eaten by the saw.

"I hate this game," I sigh.

But it's true. I would rather make a decision that directly extinguishes my best friend's life than play a coop campaign.

Yeah some levels and chars are story locked. Mining the depths for example (from Jake campaign)
But that was on PS3/X360. Since we have a PC port, maybe things are different there. Need PC players opinion.

I hope everything is unlockable via Mercs mode. I won't play the campaign again.

Helena, Sherry and Piers are unlocked by just playing Mercenaries and getting a B rank. A rank unlock their EX costumes. But on PS4 it seems like the EX costumes are unlocked by default?

Ada however... is unlocked by playing the campaign and maybe Agent too? I'm not sure about him.

Carla is unlocked when everyone else is unlocked + their costumes.

Maybe everything is unlocked on PS4 from the beginning but this is how it was on PS3.

DVCY201

Kinda weird that my PS4 is almost a dedicated RE machine, REmake, 0, 4, 5, 6, Rev2. And of course, the waiting for REmake 2 (glorious)

Sesha

I think going back to a single character approach could be good. Games like Tomb Raider and The Last of Us didn't need co-op campaigns to sell gangbusters, and Capcom reps have talked about both in interviews.

In recent years the biggest 3PS sellers have had single player-only campaigns with optional co-op and no AI partner. Capcom isn't satisfied chasing the second and third place, and RE6 proved a CoD approach will not garner more sales.

So I wonder if the release schedule for the RE456 remasters is done for a specific reason. I doubt the reason is fan popularity or metacritic scores. I'm thinking they're trying to set expectations.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Kinda weird that my PS4 is almost a dedicated RE machine, REmake, 0, 4, 5, 6, Rev2. And of course, the waiting for REmake 2 (glorious)
Now that Sony is adopting a more benign architecture, these games will probably be easily ported (compatible) on new hardware iterations.

kc44135

But while some people feel that way, many more do not. This is why games like RE6 and DS3 are are so divisive and, to many, are the worst games in the series.

Coop is hugely appealing to a set group of players. It is hugely unappealing to another. It's a no-win situation, which is why games should either be envisioned as coop games from the first line of code or not have it at all. Something should either be or not he a coop game. When a game tries to do both, or please both, you inevitably fail.

That's just my two cents. I hate coop and hate playing campaigns with friends. If a serial killer and told me to play RE6 coop with my friend or they will be sawed in half, I still wouldn't play it.

Imagine a serial killer has tied me and my closest, dearest friend to metal chairs. A bare lightbulb dangles from the ceiling. Our hands are cuffed in front of us, bound to controllers, and a flickering 32" TV displays the start menu for Resident Evil 6.

"Play," says a heavily disguised voice. The layers of reverb make it sound monstrous. "Play with your friend, or they will die." A saw blade whirls behind them.

"I will be Chris," I say, swallowing hard.

"Okay... I will be Piers," says my oldest pal, with whom I have grown up alongside. But before he can opt in, I press start.

"What are you doing!?" They cry. But they know what I am doing. I have made my decision.

"I'm sorry, friend. I must do this alone," I say.

They are eaten by the saw.

"I hate this game," I sigh.

But it's true. I would rather make a decision that directly extinguishes my best friend's life than play a coop campaign.

I largely feel the same way, and even in RE5, where the experience is obviously much better in co-op, I would rather just play at my at my own pace solo. I don't think I hate co-op as much as you do though, lol. Also, yeah, I don't really think you can balance a game for solo and co-op, or at least I haven't seen it done particularly well to date.

Top Bottom