• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4, 5, 6 – Announce Trailer (PS4/Xbox One)

DOWN

Banned
You'll be back, just wait till all of us are praising 6 on Tuesday!!

It's been a while, I remember Leon's campaign being really cool, at least.
Leon's campaign had some great scenes. Some of my favorite franchise moments ever in a couple of brief places actually. The zombies in the train tunnel looked amazin.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Bummer. Thanks though.

Any word on Xbone impressions? I know the Capcom dude here claimed 1080/60, but I have a hard time believing that, even for a remaster.

Yeah, it's 1080/60. It's not max PC settings, but it's a definite improvement over the PS360 versions.

Sectus

They never could outside of modding on PC. I had hoped they'd add that in someway tho.

Is it really medium settings? I find that incredibly... dumb. I have a low-tier graphics card and I can run RE6 at max settings at 1080p (never bothered checking what framerate I get tho) whereas many other PS4/XB1 games I couldn't get them to look near as good and run well as on the consoles.

If it really is medium settings then this just screams "Outsourced port job where no effort or optimization was done." Which isn't surprising... just stupid. If this is the case I don't think I'll be picking it up after all. Maybe after it drops under $10 or something.

Medium settings sound surprising to me too. I did a screenshot comparison when the port was announced, and the screens looked identical besides AA, motion blur, and brightness.

KyleCross

Medium settings sound surprising to me too. I did a screenshot comparison when the port was announced, and the screens looked identical besides AA, motion blur, and brightness.
Yeah, I watched your video when you upped it. I honestly couldn't really tell a difference between the screenshots. Hopefully Capcom didn't bullshot a re-release.

omonimo

Banned
Actually, to some extent, that is true. Not understanding the mechanics of a game can easily make a game seem bad. It'd be like playing Vanquish as a cover shooter.
I can understand if someone like RE6. But tries to pass idea it's a bad game just because most of the people can't handle the whole mechanic, it's a mental masturbation. This game it's really bad. End of the story. You like it? That's fine, but please we can't avoid to try to pass the idea the only real issue it's to be too much sophisticated? Because it's not exactly that the problem. It's a confuse mix of gameplay mechanics without a clear lead in the whole game design. Seems a sort of beta to me.

Mr_Zombie

No one says that not understanding game mechanics is the only reason RE6 is considered to be a problematic game (hence Cheat Code used the "to some extent"). But when you see someone struggling to do basic combat moves, or when you have people arguing that dodges and slides are an unnecessarily fluff in the game (the discussion in one of the recent "is RE6 a bad game" thread) you can't deny that such people will eventually get less fun from the game than the game might provide. It's like playing DMC games and only using basic Rebellion moves and guns and wonder "why the hell do people even like those games?". Sure, you can beat the game playing like that, but knowing how to play it properly and utilizing everything the game offers can give you much more satisfaction.

omonimo

Banned
No one says that not understanding game mechanics is the only reason RE6 is considered to be a problematic game (hence Cheat Code used the "to some extent"). But when you see someone struggling to do basic combat moves, or when you have people arguing that dodges and slides are an .0000 fluff in the game (the discussion in one of the recent "is RE6 a bad game" thread) you can't deny that such people will eventually get less fun from the game than the game might provide. It's like playing DMC games and only using basic Rebellion moves and guns and wonder "why the hell do people even like those games?". Sure, you can beat the game playing like that, but knowing how to play it properly and utilizing everything the game offers can give you much more satisfaction.
Well, of course. But it's not what I mean.

Elitist1945

I could get 4/5/6 on Steam for a little more than $20, which is the same as getting just one of the 3 HD titles for PS4 (which I have preordered). My question is, how are the PC versions in comparison to the upcoming HD versions (kinda hard to answer since they arent out).

epmode

I could get 4/5/6 on Steam for a little more than $20, which is the same as getting just one of the 3 HD titles for PS4 (which I have preordered). My question is, how are the PC versions in comparison to the upcoming HD versions (kinda hard to answer since they arent out).

The PC ports of all three games are good so they're almost certainly going to be technically better than the console versions. Big differences: Support for >1080p resolutions and mods. Resident Evil 4's PC port is especially desirable since it's the only way you'll be able to play the INCREDIBLE texture replacement mod: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757346

DOWN

Banned
Let's not get too crazy. RE6 was disappointing but the production values are there and it settled at a decent 74 on metacritic. It definitely has some standout moments.

kc44135

I haven't played the PS4 versions, but from what I understand, these are ports of the PC versions, not actual remasters. They seem to be equivalent to the PC versions running on mid to high settings. There's no new content, redone textures, or anything like that to the best of my knowledge, though, so you're probably better of getting them on PC unless you have friends you want to play with on console, or you're a filthy console peasant like me. :)

Neiteio

so wait, the only new thing is 1080p/60fps for ps4?
no new costumes, characters, modes, maps, anything?
It has some new features like No Mercy Mode in Mercenaries, which dramatically increases the number of enemies. Also includes all of the DLC baked into the base game, including the stuff once exclusive to RE.net (the PSX-style retro costumes, etc). And like you said, 1080p 60fps, plus better defaults.

Elitist1945

The PC ports of all three games are good so they're almost certainly going to be technically better than the console versions. Big differences: Support for >1080p resolutions and mods. Resident Evil 4's PC port is especially desirable since it's the only way you'll be able to play the INCREDIBLE texture replacement mod: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757346

I haven't played the PS4 versions, but from what I understand, these are ports of the PC versions, not actual remasters. They seem to be equivalent to the PC versions running on mid to high settings. There's no new content, redone textures, or anything like that to the best of my knowledge, though, so you're probably better of getting them on PC unless you have friends you want to play with on console, or you're a filthy console peasant like me. :)

Thanks boys. Saved myself $40 and still got all 3.

kc44135

Let's not get too crazy. RE6 was disappointing but the production values are there and it settled at a decent 74 on metacritic. It definitely has some standout moments.

I agree, RE6 had plenty of awesome moments. It is unfortunate that there's a lot of iffy level design in-between said moments, but stuff like Chris fighting an invisible snake, going hand to hand against ustanak as Jake, or surviving that epic plane sequence as Leon all really stick out too me. All of the campaign crossover events were awesome too (when they worked, anyway).

kc44135

Oh man I'm really looking forewards to play RE4 and RE5 again.

No, why should they. It's just a remaster. What do you expect?

Well,to be fair, other recent Capcom remasters have actually included new content. DMC4 had three new playable characters, and RE0 had a ton of new costumes, plus Wesker mode. That said, I don't think these should really be looked at as actual remasters. They're more like straight PC ports.

SomTervo

Is it still shit offset mini split screen or is it now edge-to-edge full split screen?

Literally the deciding factor for me buying these. Have all three thrice already. So great. Co-op masterwork.

Mr_Zombie

Unless they add anything to RE5 or RE4, it's better to buy the PC version. Official additional content aside (RE6 L4D2 characters and monsters in Mercenaries), you also gain the ability to set up better graphics (through in-game settings or outside the game, using 3rd party programs or filters) and mod games (changing characters' look).

However, if you think about online gaming, PC versions of RE5 and RE6 are currently a wasteland and the console version will probably be better in that aspect.

Unless they add anything to RE5 or RE4, it's better to buy the PC version. Official additional content aside (RE6 L4D2 characters and monsters in Mercenaries), you also gain the ability to set up better graphics (through in-game settings or outside the game, using 3rd party programs or filters) and mod games (changing characters' look).

However, if you think about online gaming, PC versions of RE5 and RE6 are currently a wasteland and the console version will probably be better in that aspect.

And this is why I'm sold on the console versions.

Mr_Zombie

Is it still shit offset mini split screen or is it now edge-to-edge full split screen?

Literally the deciding factor for me buying these. Have all three thrice already. So great. Co-op masterwork.

Yes, it's still the offset mini-split screen. Capcom did this to keep the screen's aspect ratio no matter whether you play alone or in co-op.

X-Factor

Yes, for local multiplayer it is still offset split screen that does not fill the full screen. Playing co-op is better done online since each player has their own full screen.

STMpRKJ.jpg

DOWN

Banned
Offset splitscreen is gross. Shoutout to Battlefront for having full screen split I guess even though I no longer play split screen in the 21st century like the rest of the world.
jk but I really don't play split

Yes, for local multiplayer it is still offset split screen that does not fill the full screen. Playing co-op is better done online since each player has their own full screen.

I've only played online co-op, but I've also heard that in offline co-op, both players get shared item drops, so basically less ammo and herbs for both players. Pretty big oversight, if true. And I really like RE6's streamlined "seperate item drops for both online players" system, compared to how RE5 did it.

Liamc723

I really do wish we were getting physical copies here in the UK. I never like to buy physical bundles of games, which they'll likely do after all 3 games release here.

Blueblur1

At least I offered my insight. I have the PC and console versions of RE1 HD, RE0, RE4, RE5 and RE6.

I posted screenshots of the PC version on Max settings and PS4 screenshots and videos
on page 32

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1190129&page=32

I fixed the brightness settings on my capture card.
Here is a screenshot taken directly from the PS4's share button.

http://i.imgur.com/dTWviDd.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I appreciate your efforts, dude.

myco666

I've only played online co-op, but I've also heard that in offline co-op, both players get shared item drops, so basically less ammo and herbs for both players. Pretty big oversight, if true. And I really like RE6's streamlined "seperate item drops for both online players" system, compared to how RE5 did it.

Yeah offline co-op has shared item drops on the original release. Ran out of ammo often because of it. Hopefully they have fixed that in this release.

OuterLimits

Of course the best one by far doesn't release until Fall. Granted, I still have it on PS3, and probably the PS2 disc as well.

The castle portion of RE4 is still one of my favorite gaming moments. Village is fun as well.

X-Factor

At least I offered my insight. I have the PC and console versions of RE1 HD, RE0, RE4, RE5 and RE6.

I posted screenshots of the PC version on Max settings and PS4 screenshots and videos on page 32

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1190129&page=32

we have one amateur analysis from someone who dislikes the game by design saying medium so that's our best source atm

I fixed the brightness settings on my capture card. This is the newest video with the brightness fixed:
VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keo1QjxcuNM

Here is a screenshot taken directly from the PS4's share button using max brightness (40). Even on max brightness the PS4 version is darker than the PC version.

PS4 version max brightness (40)
MfgTp5T.jpg

another PS4 shot. This one looks better:

A6pPtJw.jpg

PC version max settings and max brightness (40). Note: Left 4 Dead characters are not in the PS4 version.

d4rALeR.jpg

Another PC screenshot:

dTLJmO0.jpg

I like that the release order is basically admittance from Capcom that the series kept getting worse and that RE4 is the best. There is no other reason for such a bizarre release order.

And I say this as someone who liked RE6 and is buying the remaster.

I like that the release order is basically admittance from Capcom that the series kept getting worse and that RE4 is the best. There is no other reason for such a bizarre release order.

And I say this as someone who liked RE6 and is buying the remaster.

Depends on what they're doing to RE4. RE6 would need the least amount of work visually speaking. RE4 would obviously need the most if they plan on cleaning it up.

Depends on what they're doing to RE4. RE6 would need the least amount of work visually speaking. RE4 would obviously need the most if they plan on cleaning it up.

I'm not expecting much, but I hope to be proven wrong. Especially after seeing that fan project of putting new textures in the game. I don't think Capcom will do anything near that.
Honestly, besides better textures and 60fps, what can you do to enhance RE4 further?

Moosehole

I'm looking forward to playing 5 again the most, but I'm picking up all three and I'm excited to play a lot of Mercs in RE6 this week.

Glad to see the 1080p/60fps for RE6. 5 will be glorious if it follows suit.

Top Bottom