• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 | PS2 vs GameCube | Was there a big difference?

ClosBSAS

Re4 was specifically made for the gamecube 3d chip which was very advanced for that time. Ps2 was left in the dust with this game.

Skifi28

I was waiting for an xbox version back then......There was a PS2 port, surely they would also port it on the better hardware, right?

Still waiting.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's was impressive for what it was, RE4 was made using all the strengths of the GCN.
so porting it to a machine that was created before those features was even available on PC,( in other words they didn't exist)
was a mighty feat.
The PS2 was basically a 90's console, and these type of ports showed how it punched right above it's weight.
Still GCN is the obviously the best version

ILHASS

It was really huge, textures, lighting, effects etc all was downgraded. As a gamecube owner in 2005 i was shocked wnen saw first comparisons between GC and PS2..i think it was a starting point for console wars and pixel counting.

Last edited:

Same ol G

This game was terrible on PS2, i had the GC version i played it with a friend who had a PS2.
After buying it on PS2 he started complaining about how it looked because he was used playing the GC version.
I think this is another case of what version did you play?, people who only played the PS2 version back then will say it looked good.
People who played both versions know that the difference wasn't small, somebody said it already but it at least looks half a gen apart.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Damn GameCube looks amazing compared to Ps2.

We need that Remake coming out for Ps5 because i can´t wait to replay this masterpiece AGAIN!

HotPocket69

Banned
I had it preordered for GameCube at EB Games. I played through the demo multiple times before it came out. I remember thinking it took ages for it to come out on PS2. I remember seeing photos of people holding up a copy and thinking “you're finally going to get to play this amazing game?”. I had a Ps2 at launch, but at the time exclusives for a particular console meant nothing if you owned all the consoles on the market. I bought the PS2 version down the road. The GameCube version was one hell of a game. It felt like it didn’t have any flaws to it.

It didn’t.

Re4 is still perfect

And the Rem4ke is gonna be disappointing

longdi

Banned
i completed the ps2 version. yes the difference was huge, as was splinter cell.

these games showed how overly hyped up emotion engine was typical of sony over promising.

Last edited:
It's the first version I've beat back then. Seemed totally fine to me, though I did know what the GC version was doing better (dynamic lighting, textures, shaders, geometry, realtime cutscenes, enemy count in some iconic places, etc). Still, it was perfectly serviceable despite all the graphical sacrifices. Really enjoyed the additional content too.

Basically, it was downgraded, but it was still clearly RE4. A very good version of the game that umfortunately had to sacrifice a bit of the mood of the original GC version.

There's no mistake it's the worst one between the 2, even with the awesome added content bonus.

One thing that I thought was a great improvement with the PS2 version is the fullscreen 4:3 ratio or full widescreen 16:9 ratio available, unlike the GC version which was locked to letterboxed 4:3. This makes the GC version perhaps the worst version to play nowadays.

Graphics and performance, as always, PC.

Controls? Some will disagree, but probably Wii. If not Wii, then PC.
PC's resolution is too high for this game ; shows too many flaws. Might be missing an effect here or there too. Some animations are locked to 30fps, so it's best to play at 30fps on PC as well, if you can lock it properly in the control panel. Seeing the rifle animate at half rate :messenger_grimmacing_ Then turn hd textures off as they're gross.

Pecking order is Wii, then gamecube, then PC 2nd edition, then hd consoles, then ps2 then pc first edition then mobile (god the horror) lol. Wii original on a Crt is so good.

Romulus

I knew what you're thinking because you said xbox ports and that's the only game I can think of atm. SC aged like milk, low poly with over reliance on normal maps, but it takes all kinds I suppose.

The vast majority would disagree. Actually I've never heard that before.
There was even a thread here about it people playing it for the first time in like 2018 could not believe it was running on 2001 hardware.
Chaos Theory still looks good to this day outside of cherry picked screens. Posting a bad looking video of it is nearly impossible.
Lighting, shadows, and textures were second to none for the time. It literally looked like a first gen 360 game in some levels.

Last edited:
Played it first on Wii. One of the best games ever. Also, that European cover art. :pie_smiling_hearts: I need to find this box in my storage and put it in a glass case. It's gorgeous.

cover_large.jpg

Beaten Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube, PS2, Wii, PC, PS3, Xbox 360, and PS4. Obviously, the PC is the most refined experience. The Wii was really fun because of the aiming scheme, but I'd suggest that it shouldn't be your first playthrough.

The PS2 had no real benefits to it besides the awful "DLC" added to it, but I have so much nostalgia for that version as it was my first. If it's the only version you ever had to play, there would be no issue. The game is that good.

Beaten Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube, PS2, Wii, PC, PS3, Xbox 360, and PS4. Obviously, the PC is the most refined experience. The Wii was really fun because of the aiming scheme, but I'd suggest that it shouldn't be your first playthrough.

The PS2 had no real benefits to it besides the awful "DLC" added to it, but I have so much nostalgia for that version as it was my first. If it's the only version you ever had to play, there would be no issue. The game is that good.
awful DLC? I really liked it, specially chapter 4 and 5 of separate ways. Also, the new weapons were really cool.

awful DLC? I really liked it, specially chapter 4 and 5 of separate ways. Also, the new weapons were really cool.
You're right, maybe awful is too harsh of a word. The bow was pretty fun to use, and certain scenarios like "Leon is fighting in the background while you open this door for him" was fun, but overall it wasn't good for me upon replaying. Assignment Ada was just "run to the next door and don't bother killing anything" simulator.

SkylineRKR

I immensely enjoyed the PS2 port, as I had no Cube anymore. And I loved the Ada Scenario which would be 19,99 DLC today. Its pretty big. PS2 version was also true 16:9. For the rest GC version was much better.

In the remaster the base game looks good but Ada episode looks like shit.

Top Bottom