• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake demo is instantly killing my PS4 Pro

I really need to know if I'm the only one here. I have the Death Stranding limited edition console. I have recently played Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok and I know it sometimes is a little loud but plays well. I really look after the console, make sure it's cleaned and I have legs on the bottom so it's getting good air flow. I can't stress how much I look after this thing. But as I boot the game, the console is quiet for a moment or so but then when the logos start coming into the menu, the fans go absolutely wild. I've never heard the fans ever get this loud. The sounds of the fans gets incredibly loud in about 3-4 second and then the console says it's too hot on a blue screen and turns off. Someone suggested not having a disc in the console so I've removed it. It just dies. I've been trying many different things, probably for about 8 hours today and nothing helps. Anyone else had the same issue?

Surely it can't be more taxing on the console that H:FW or GoW:R?

Kev Kev

I really need to know if I'm the only one here. I have the Death Stranding limited edition console. I have recently played Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok and I know it sometimes is a little loud but plays well. I really look after the console, make sure it's cleaned and I have legs on the bottom so it's getting good air flow. I can't stress how much I look after this thing. But as I boot the game, the console is quiet for a moment or so but then when the logos start coming into the menu, the fans go absolutely wild. I've never heard the fans ever get this loud. The sounds of the fans gets incredibly loud in about 3-4 second and then the console says it's too hot on a blue screen and turns off. Someone suggested not having a disc in the console so I've removed it. It just dies. I've been trying many different things, probably for about 8 hours today and nothing helps. Anyone else had the same issue?

The fan on my PS4 Pro was the loudest I've ever heard it while playing the demo. I didn't get the 'too hot' message or the blue screen, but I haven't played the full game yet. Thanks for the heads up. I might have to reconsider before I buy it. I haven't heard anyone else having the issue, and I personally have no idea what the solution would be, but I'll keep an ear out. Good luck.

Hoddi

It might be worth pulling the top cover off to see if you notice a difference. There's no need to remove any screws so it's pretty easy.

These things don't have the best airflow.

Knightime_X

Sounds like internally something is dirty or clogged to the point functionality becomes an issue.
Clean the inner workings and try again.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
High Five Tom Cruise GIF by Hollywood Suite

Buy a PS5

Paulistano

Remove the cover (see some youtube videos it's very easy) and use compressed air on the vents (you can buy this on a can, it's cheap) and a vacuum cleaner.

Does it overheating if you play GoW or Horizon? Or this is happening just with RE4Re?

The Fartist

Gold Member
This is not true at all. You have to change it when it needs to be changed, which depends case by case. "Do not repair it if it's not broken".
Consoles are small and have a lot of nooks and crannies that accumulate dust more easily than a large PC case, and console owners tend to be less tech savvy so they often keep their consoles in less than ideal spaces, and consoles are mass produced so the thermal paste job is usually pretty shitty.

Hawk269

There is something seriously wrong with this game. I have a fairly freshly built new PC with a 4090 and the game is making my computer freak the fuck out. Like it effected my lighting of my entire rig somehow and caused some weird resolutions changes on it's own. Since this PC is only used for gaming I rarely ever have issues with games, but RE Remake is just causing so many issues that I deleted the demo and said fuck that game.

Consoles are small and have a lot of nooks and crannies that accumulate dust more easily than a large PC case, and console owners tend to be less tech savvy so they often keep their consoles in less than ideal spaces, and consoles are mass produced so the thermal paste job is usually pretty shitty.
PCs are more prone to be more dusty because they are usually placed on the floor so they sucks all the dust from there. Instead electronics equipment are placed on higher surfaces like shelves or furniture . That is the main reason why you shouldn't make a 1:1 comparison on how the dust is accumulating. I agree that consoles are often placed in wrong places (ground, carpet, drawer and so on) which can result in device malfunctions.

Last edited:

simpatico

Pate-wise from the factory, it's the luck of the squirt. Are you handy enough to repaste it?

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
PCs are more prone to be more dusty because they are usually placed on the floor so they sucks all the dust from there. Instead electronics equipment are placed on higher surfaces like shelves or furniture . That is the main reason why you shouldn't make a 1:1 comparison on how the dust is accumulating. I agree that consoles are often placed in wrong places (ground, carpet, drawer and so on) which can result in device malfunctions.
Anyone who places their PC on the floor is A. Not a PC gamer and B. Definitely didn't build their own PC and wouldn't know to change their paste or dust their rig every so often.

LordOfChaos

Did you only clean it from the outside? Sounds like time to bust it open, clean out the heatsink and fans thoroughly, and replace the thermal paste

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
this is intended.

Jimbo paid Capcom to do so to force PS4 gamers to PS5.

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

SeraphJan

I'm curious why op decide not to just get a PS5, its pretty affordable now that the supply problem is solved, overall better experience

Kev Kev

Has anyone else with a PS4 Pro had loud fan problems with RE4 Remake?

It’s like a jet engine when I play the demo, and I’m considering not buying the full game if that’s what it sounds like the entire play through. I can hear it through my headphones, plus I feel like it’s just bad for my PS4 lol.

Does it come and go? Only during certain sections? Is it not doing it at all for some of you?

Skifi28

It’s like a jet engine when I play the demo, and I’m considering not buying the full game if that’s what it sounds like the entire play through. I can hear it through my headphones, plus I feel like it’s just bad for my PS4 lol.

Does it come and go? Only during certain sections? Is it not doing it at all for some of you?
Sounds like a PS4 pro alright, working as intended.

Haven't played the Demo on my PS4 pro. But the Last COD from Infinity Ward also made my pro a jet engine.

Don't listen to the fools about cleaning the console or adding new thermal paste.

It doesn't really help. I've sendmy console to a repair shop and the end of the Story:

The cleaned it added new thermal paste and also put thermal pads on the RAM chips.

The difference was that the fan noise decreased only by one level.

The Pro(launch models) are pure garbage.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Pro is trash. I had to redo the Bloodstained final boss 3 times because the console would shut off due to overheating every time the ending was about to start. It also rebooted if I was in an MW 2019 lobby for too long. The old PS4 is better. Maybe not in terms of resolution and power but its a more silent and stable system.

Pro is probably the worst console next to the launch 360. It looks and feels cheap, its noisy and its not reliable.

Isa

Sorry about your issue. My OG Pro actually died with Death Stranding which I was playing through at launch. I ended up buying another one(one of the better models) but it also had a few issues. It may not be feasible for you or even a desire but the PS5 for my experience has been much more stable. I hope you get a chance to try the game without any headaches or worries, I know those kind of things can sour people on something, myself included.

RaduN

My base PS4 can not record video (of more than 2 seconds length), from RE4, because it takes forever to go back to homescreen :)) l
Literally in the tens of seconds (...that's forever in this case :)) )

God damn it this game messes with the ps4 badly, but i still love it 😃

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I have to repost here to add that, my old launch fat PS4 handles RE4 very well and the fans don't even kick in and do they with other games lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom