• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake |OT| Welcome back stranger! What are you RE-buyin'

Decided to give Verdugo(Mr. Right Hand) an honest chance in the remake to see if they balanced him properly this time around.

They did not.

He still is one of the fastest, most agile bosses combined with the largest health pool out of any boss. Both together still lead to annoyance when fighting him the way the game wants you to(using the mechanics of the area). So I simply went back to using the 80,000 1 shot solution just like in the original.

I recommend everyone save money for a Rocket Launcher when playing the first half of the castle area. In both games he remains to be the only boss I recommend this for.

Madflavor

Decided to give Verdugo(Mr. Right Hand) an honest chance in the remake to see if they balanced him properly this time around.

They did not.

He still is one of the fastest, most agile bosses combined with the largest health pool out of any boss. Both together still lead to annoyance when fighting him the way the game wants you to(using the mechanics of the area). So I simply went back to using the 80,000 1 shot solution just like in the original.

I recommend everyone save money for a Rocket Launcher when playing the first half of the castle area. In both games he remains to be the only boss I recommend this for.

Kill him, get the achievement, reload and do the fight again, but just run away when elevator arrives. He is not worth the 30k treasure he drops for the amount of ammo required to bring him down.

Kill him, get the achievement, reload and do the fight again, but just run away when elevator arrives. He is not worth the 30k treasure he drops for the amount of ammo required to bring him down.
That’s exactly why I bought the rocket launcher. In both the original and the remake he is a boss that is designed to waste resources. I’d rather waste one resource and not deal with an annoying fight, than deal with an annoying fight and waste resources, all to escape in an elevator. He’s the only one IMO fully worth the 80k investment(which is technically 50k after selling his trinket).

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Finally beat Ramon Salazar "legit", i.e., not using the rocket launcher. Not because that was my first choice, but because the RL is 160,000 on Hardcore!

I'm pretty sure there's some RNG going on with his patterns, and I got lucky in his second phase to where he kept blasting his slime from a place where I could peek out of cover and snipe him a bunch.

This video helped me get through it, for anyone else who's also struggling. Really, I just ran circles around the intact pillar the whole time.

Dayum, gotta love the magnum, props Mr Mikami

I got stuck in a room with 2 wolvie beserker blind monsters chained to the wall and like a million cult bros. I tried to kill all the cultists silently using crossbow and knives but they just kept coming and coming. So I tried again with the punisher (edit wrong name I meant broken butterfly magnum hand canon) which I hadn't even fired yet even though I've been upgrading it. One precise shot each on the parasite on the back of the beserkers and they're donezo

I started carrying the magnum because I noticed magnum ammo never drops. But since I've been carrying around it dropped once. Maybe it can drop as long as the gun is in your inventory but it's just super rare? I've never seen tmp ammo drop and I don't carry that around

Anyone know how rules of ammo drops work? I have noticed that what comes out of crates is random

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dayum, gotta love the magnum, props Mr Mikami

I got stuck in a room with 2 wolvie beserker blind monsters chained to the wall and like a million cult bros. I tried to kill all the cultists silently using crossbow and knives but they just kept coming and coming. So I tried again with the punisher (magnum hand canon) which I hadn't even fired yet even though I've been upgrading it. One precise shot each on the parasite on the back of the beserkers and they're donezo

I started carrying the magnum because I noticed magnum ammo never drops. But since I've been carrying around it dropped once. Maybe it can drop as long as the gun is in your inventory but it's just super rare? I've never seen tmp ammo drop and I don't carry that around

Anyone know how rules of ammo drops work? I have noticed that what comes out of crates is random
ive had magnum ammo drop twice. i am on the last chapter.

i know this because i keep it in storage at all times. and have to bring back the magnum to load the bullets into the chamber.

Doom85

Not sure, but it’s definitely not as generous as the original if you were running low on ammo and/or health. I had to drop down from standard to assisted when I reached the cabin because I had like no health items and ammo was low too. Even trying the strategies people suggested of evading up and down the floors, yeah no go, Luis can only do so much by himself.

And now I understand the value of the Bolt Thrower. That shit will ultimately save you SO MUCH ammo. Anyone playing for the first time should definitely grab it as soon as you can. Like, yes the knife is a good gun alternative, but you still have to spend money to repair it, whereas as long as you’re not stupidly shooting bolts where they’d be unreachable if you miss, well:

Real Estate Meme GIF by hero0fwar

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
What weapons has everyone chosen to upgrade? I've been taking my time with this one trying to savor it. My other two favorite games of 2023 so far(coincidentally both also remakes) I blew through in like 4 days apiece in Metroid Prime and Dead Space. Hoping to let this one last a little longer, so I'm still only on chapter 4. So still mulling what I'm going to fully upgrade.

Last edited:

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
What weapons has everyone chosen to upgrade? I've been taking my time with this one trying to savor it. My other two favorite games of 2023 so far(coincidentally both also remakes) I blew through in like 4 days apiece in Metroid Prime and Dead Space. Hoping to let this one last a little longer, so I'm still only on chapter 4. So still mulling what I'm going to fully upgrade.

- the Sentinel Nine (the actual best handgun. Strong, has a massive clip, gets a laser scope, gets the 5x crit exclusive, etc. Utter workhorse)
- the Riot Gun (Doom Slayer called; he wants to know if he can borrow it)
- Stingray (for the occasional snipe, although I'm thinking about trading it in for the CQBR Assault Rifle)

They have carried me through hell and back. Thinking about upgrading either the Broken Butterfly or Killer7 next.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I chose red9, riot shotgun, and the starting sniper rifle. Sniper rifle's exclusive upgrade is 2x damage so thats a no brainer. Riot shotgun has way better stats than the starter shotgun and both have a 1.5x exclusive upgrade. Red9 gets a 1.5x damage boost along with higher base damage than the starting pistol but the starting pistol's exclusive upgrade has a 5x critical chance to blow up heads. might come in handy in survivor but in normal i kill everything in 2-3 shots with the red 9. it also shoots off limbs just doesnt blow up heads as often as the starting pistol.

i upgraded both but on normal, red9 is better. starting pistol might be better on hardcore.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Do you think it's worth it to do every shooting range challenge? The 1-c one early on was annoying me, and I'm in an impatient mood and didn't feel like doing it any more. But not sure if I should go back and do it to get that last gold token and if it'll make a difference in the end.

And now I understand the value of the Bolt Thrower. That shit will ultimately save you SO MUCH ammo. Anyone playing for the first time should definitely grab it as soon as you can.
I've been using it as my main weapon and I am doing pretty well for ammo, but sometimes I wonder if the game is dropping based on how low ammo reserves are, because I'm always good for ammo I never have a huge surplus of it despite how stingy I'm being.

I also have a little problem that I guess is my own fault. In Elden Ring, when things get really chaotic and I hastily try to run, the game registers my sudden input on the left analog as pressing L3 so my character crouches and slowly moves around when I need them to dash. Something similar is happening to me with proximity mines where I quickly need to target an enemy and when I aim the game thinks I want Leon to very slowly attach a mine to the bolt thrower. It's a shame but I've actually stopped crafting mines to avoid this
Just got the the island. My memory of this area is pretty minimal so it's going to be really fresh for me 😂
No joke all I remember is regenerators. That whole sequence where I had flee them in terror until I got the infrared scope which lets you see where the parasites are on their body was amazing and I'll never forget it. I wonder what they'll do in Rem4ke

tbh I guess I also remember jetski, overtime, last boss being easy... that's it from the island though
Yeah Metroid Prime was awesome. In a way Prime and Resi 4 show us how far we haven't come in terms of game design since they still shine so brightly 20 years later.

I'm going Red 9 because it's a power pistol, it's a shame it can't use laser sight but it's very strong for such a little gun with abundant ammo and stock makes aiming pretty good. Riot gun for shotty and I already upgraded its max bonus using the x30 spinel ticket. Not sure if that hasty decision was wise but shotgun is my go to panic weapon when things get chaotic and I got 30+ ammo for it right now. Stingray for sniper, because I thought I would be fine with the starting sniper rifle but I had a really bad time in that castle room where cult dudes are attacking you while other dudes kidnap Ashley on higher ground and you have to snipe them. The difficulty I had there made me realise I need an automatic sniper rifle. Bolt caster obviously for the free real estate, and broken butterfly because that's the only hand cannon I've found, but I'm gonna put it back in the box and save it for special situations. When I'm upgrading these weapons, I'm mostly only upgrading power for faster kills and more efficient use of ammo. Only the Red 9 and bolt caster have a few upgrades in ammo capacity or reload speed, most of the guns have multiple damage upgrades only. Btw I also upgraded knife durability since it's so useful.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm fairly certain these were the exact weapons I went with for my first playthrough on the Gamecube way back in the day

Do you think it's worth it to do every shooting range challenge? The 1-c one early on was annoying me, and I'm in an impatient mood and didn't feel like doing it any more. But not sure if I should go back and do it to get that last gold token and if it'll make a difference in the end.
No if you're not having fun and you dont want the trophy for s-ranking them all just leave it, you can still get useful charms without having all of them. It's better to do them later when Ashley is there to give you cheerleader support anyways

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm enjoying the game, just finished Del Lago

But damn the rain look like ass

Like, GTA Definitive Edition bad

And its suposed to be better after the day one patch? Cant imagine how bad it was before then

Playing on PS5
I personally don't have a problem with the rain, the part in the gameplay demo does seem to be toned down but that whole section the rain gets really heavy as you progress
izsDMgL.jpg
YlKrTdg.jpg

But I think people are over exaggerating just a tad.
In fact when it's heavy it's only really notable like those shots we've seen when lightning strikes.

Last edited:
I just finished! This game was phenomenal!

I haven't played the OG since I was 14 in 2005, but this Remake beats it. The boss fights and mini boss fights are worth a price alone. The Krauser fight rivals the Metal Gear Solid franchise 1 v 1 fights! Hands down my favorite fights of the gaming history! RE4 Remake is a perfect balance of Horror and Action, it's done 100% right compared to the OG. The tension, the atmosphere, all S+ Tier

I LOVE this game, with the Mercenaries free content and the eventual Ada Wong DLC, this is a system selling game! Yeah I said it! Best RE I ever played and I played every mainline RE game dating back to RE1 on PS1. I pray to the video game Gods we get a Code Veronica Remake, then life will be perfectly balanced

I give RE4 Remake a score of 10/10.

No game is perfect but this Remake is legendary and will be remembered for another 20 years

Hugare

I personally don't have a problem with the rain, the part in the gameplay demo does seem to be toned down but that whole section the rain gets really heavy as you progress
izsDMgL.jpg
YlKrTdg.jpg

But I think people are over exaggerating just a tad.
In fact when it's heavy it's only really notable like those shots we've seen when lightning strikes.
Something is off on my end, because it looks nothing liket his

I've watched youtube videos and here it looks like the rain before the day one patch. But my game is updated.

Really weird. Will try redownloading the game

Madflavor

I just completed my 3rd playthrough. Professional speed run. I had the Original Soundtrack playing. Gotta say, it made me miss the Remake soundtrack. Not to diss on the original's but the Remake's music absolutely slaps.

I just completed my 3rd playthrough. Professional speed run. I had the Original Soundtrack playing. Gotta say, it made me miss the Remake soundtrack. Not to diss on the original's but the Remake's music absolutely slaps.

Krauser's boss themes are incredible

Gotta have crafting cuz itz popular, I don't like it either.
Anyway at the end, games excellent but the original is a better game, balance is totally broken the village is way to hard at first since the low rate of fire and weak stopping power makes enemies way to hard to stun for melees and have way to few resources plus the knife breaks way to fast early on
Plus the villagers punch attacks are way to fast
Outside of Ashley the original voices are far far better especially saddler and Krauser

Ive only played the demo but from everything ive reas, this remake doesn't deserve the insane praise and review scores it got from reviewers and gamers alike. Not that it's a bad game but come on. It's got way too many issues. Leon's movement, aiming, and overall gameplay not being as tight and perfectly balanced as original. The image quality and deadzone issues is an awful technical issue deserving of having points deducted for. Ashley's section where she is such a hindrance with worse A.I. then original. The del Lagos boss fight being worse and looking bad graphically. Some of the odd artstyle choices like Leon's in game character model looking so fugly.

Again, it's obviously a good game for a lot of people and I'm looking forward to eventually playing the entire game but game reviewers continually can't seem to properly review games as evidenced by the reduculous 10/10's everywhere.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

And its suposed to be better after the day one patch? Cant imagine how bad it was before then

Playing on PS5
Its not just the rain. That section has legit the worst looking water I've seen since the PS3 era. That whole boss battle should have been scratched. Or at least polished up for another month. It was just bad. Just aimlessly throwing the unlimited spears at that thing just felt very PS2-y lol. They can do better than that.

I am enjoying the game a lot overall, chapter 8 now. The castle. Loving the atmosphere. But its just lacking that polish. I really don't know how reviews dont mention any of this lol.

Cook it for 6 more months and you'd have a masterpiece.

Back to playing tho

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished my Standard play-through with Leon in his Casual (blue jacket) costume. I really enjoyed the game. That costume took some getting use to during the first two chapters, but it looked supreme by the time I was at the end. Thinking about using the Hero costume next and the OG OST. I love those dark melodies, especially Serenity.

SlimySnake

This is fantastic. Just beat the game but will try this out on my second run.

Ended up turning on the hair because the game is far more linear than the opening village area where i ran my benchmarks. Maintained a locked 60 fps at native 4k through out even with hair on. Ashley's hair was the real highlight here. Ada and Luis too. Really great stuff. Probably the most next gen thing about the game.

PanzerAzel

Ive only played the demo but from everything ive reas, this remake doesn't deserve the insane praise and review scores it got from reviewers and gamers alike. Not that it's a bad game but come on. It's got way too many issues. Leon's movement, aiming, and overall gameplay not being as tight and perfectly balanced as original. The image quality and deadzone issues is an awful technical issue deserving of having points deducted for. Ashley's section where she is such a hindrance with worse A.I. then original. The del Lagos boss fight being worse and looking bad graphically. Some of the odd artstyle choices like Leon's in game character model looking so fugly.

Again, it's obviously a good game for a lot of people and I'm looking forward to eventually playing the entire game but game reviewers continually can't seem to properly review games as evidenced by the reduculous 10/10's everywhere.
You have to account for nostalgia and the honeymoon period. It’s a remake of one of the greatest games of all-time and many peoples’ GOAT. That it’s getting 10s pretty much across the board isn’t unexpected; I find that to be less of a reflection on the game itself and more a reflection on the wishful expectations that gamers are hoping to relive from their childhood.

I’ve yet to beat it, but from what I’ve seen so far (mid castle) I’d give it around an 8-8.5. There are changes here I think are frankly dumb across the board (no laser upgrade for each weapon, storage limitations), ammo allocations don’t feel as balanced, the Lago boss is just cheap, lazy looking garbage that lacks the epic feel and polish compared to OG, Mendez fight was a bit tame, his chase sequence was unneeded, etc. I do find the feel of combat to be better here though, the atmosphere and graphics are superior, and the sound work and QOL improvements (d-pad weapon selection) make going back to the original hard.

I booted up the OG just to refresh my memory, and after an adjustment period, I’m constantly struck just at how amazingly well-crafted the game is and how well it coheres with everything it attempts to do, and I strongly disagree with those who claim it has aged poorly. The game is simply a masterclass in execution in nearly every respect. I think I honestly would’ve been happy had they given it a facelift with the new engine and incorporated the quality of life changes.

Sleepwalker

Something is off on my end, because it looks nothing liket his

I've watched youtube videos and here it looks like the rain before the day one patch. But my game is updated.

Really weird. Will try redownloading the game
Same here about the rain, I remember in some DF video someone said that a combination of settings reverted the rain to look like pre patch but I dont remember and dunno what to change to make it go away lol

You have to account for nostalgia and the honeymoon period. It’s a remake of one of the greatest games of all-time and many peoples’ GOAT. That it’s getting 10s pretty much across the board isn’t unexpected; I find that to be less of a reflection on the game itself and more a reflection on the wishful expectations that gamers are hoping to relive from their childhood.

I’ve yet to beat it, but from what I’ve seen so far (mid castle) I’d give it around an 8-8.5. There are changes here I think are frankly dumb across the board (no laser upgrade for each weapon, storage limitations), ammo allocations don’t feel as balanced, the Lago boss is just cheap, lazy looking garbage that lacks the epic feel and polish compared to OG, Mendez fight was a bit tame, his chase sequence was unneeded, etc. I do find the feel of combat to be better here though, the atmosphere and graphics are superior, and the sound work and QOL improvements (d-pad weapon selection) make going back to the original hard.

I booted up the OG just to refresh my memory, and after an adjustment period, I’m constantly struck just at how amazingly well-crafted the game is and how well it coheres with everything it attempts to do, and I strongly disagree with those who claim it has aged poorly. The game is simply a masterclass in execution in nearly every respect. I think I honestly would’ve been happy had they given it a facelift with the new engine and incorporated the quality of life changes.

Exactly and I have to admit I'm triggered by the people exclaiming this as more modern and "better than the original in every way" especially when they point to the originals combat system as the primary reason for why its "outdated".

Exactly and I have to admit I'm triggered by the people exclaiming this as more modern and "better than the original in every way" especially when they point to the originals combat system as the primary reason for why its "outdated".
The combat system isn't the main reason why this could be seen as better. I'm going to put a review in this thread soon because I'm close to finishing the game, but I'm leaning towards an A(which is a 9/10 rating). If they patch the very odd aiming feel for controller, I will bump it to a A+(equal to a 10/10 for me).

The reason why I believe this could be seen as better or at least just as good as the original, is largely due to the cohesiveness of the narrative, yet at the same time managing to find ways to respectfully expand the lore. It feels like they let the lore masters really drive the ship and put in a good amount of work to try and make everything make more sense and blend together better. This led to them cutting a few filler areas from the original(thank goodness for that) to improve the pacing greatly during the second half of the game, and they also blended together certain areas that would make more sense together(like the underground mines and the bug hive) because it makes more sense narratively.

The level layout of certain areas feels better now, like the village for example, because now it connects together like a location should, rather than feeling like very long linear stretch of land/water over the course of several miles/km. The character interactions and slight changes of when they appear or disappear and also what they discuss, feel more natural now. It all flows better and it feels like smarter changes. The added context for Leon makes me understand his character more and how he is trying to live up to the idea of what he considers himself to be, including how he keeps trying to put his trust in those who keep letting him down or at worst, dying in front of him.

You can tell the developers really thought things through and refined it again and again, rather than just saying 'how can we make this feel more cool' like a Bluepoint-style remake would do.

geary

Guys, never played Resident Evil franchise and i need some help from you. Currently I have on steam the following games:

1. Resident Evil 2 / Biohazard RE:2 > 2019
2. Resident Evil 7 / Biohazard > 2017
3. Resident Evil 4 HD > 2014
4. Resident Evil: HD Remaster > 2015
5. Resident Evil 3 > 2020
6. Resident Evil: Revelations HD > 2013
7. Resident Evil 5 > 2009
8. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 > 2015
9. Resident Evil 0 > 2016
10. Resident Evil 6 > 2013
11. Resident Evil Resistance > 2020

Can you, please, tell me in which order should i play them and if am i missing something which is on PC? And where it fits on the playing order?

Roufianos

Playing on PS5
I thought the same. Almost looks as bad as the rain in Sonic Frontiers.

Gorgeous game overall though 😍

Last edited:

SCB3

Guys, never played Resident Evil franchise and i need some help from you. Currently I have on steam the following games:

Can you, please, tell me in which order should i play them and if am i missing something which is on PC? And where it fits on the playing order?

IMO it works out well to do RE1 > RE0 > RE2 Remake > RE3 Remake > RE4 > RE5 > RE6 > RE7 > Village

Then do the spin offs if you enjoy them, I personally like the Revelations games but they were very experimental at the time

Doom85

In terms of significant story games, you’re only missing Code Veronica and 8: Village.

In terms of being able to follow the story:

Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 0 (serves as a prequel to 1, but play it after 1 and 2 as it expects you to know who two human villains are)
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil Code Veronica (I imagine it’s on PC, it’s on the PlayStation Store), this one is definitely not skippable as a certain reveal happens, and 4 and 5 spoil it if you skip it
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Resident Evil 7 (also the two story DLCs “Not a Hero” and “End of Zoe” as they wrap up certain unresolved plot threads from 7)
Resident Evil 8: Village (also the story DLC “Shadows of Rose” as it expands on the ending), this one is definitely available on PC

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
He’s the only one IMO fully worth the 80k investment(which is technically 50k after selling his trinket).
There's also a charm that knocks the price down by 16k, it's called leon with rocket launcher.
Just like in the original, you need to carry the guns with you that you want ammo for; I always carried a magnum with me an got plenty of dropa for it.

SCB3

There's also a charm that knocks the price down by 16k, it's called leon with rocket launcher.

Just like in the original, you need to carry the guns with you that you want ammo for; I always carried a magnum with me an got plenty of dropa for it.
Wait is that true, I carry a Bolt Gun and I've never had Ammo drop for it, plenty of Shotgun ammo has though

Doom85

Chapter 14 spoilers:

HOLY SHIT!

Ashley: How do you like this?!
Did she just kill a Regenerator in a single second?!

GenericUser

Just finished the game, what a ride. I'm really exhausted right now. That game was hard, especially with the shitty xbox controls.

I thought saddler was much easier then salazar tbh. The game gave you a shitton of ammo and healing items before the final fight. With salazar on the other hand, you were on a much tighter ammo/healing item budget.

GymWolf

The P9, you find more bullet for it and with max upgrade it kinda hit like the weakest non-upgraded shotgun.

GymWolf

Playing on PS5
Are you on console? Because on pc it looks pretty good.

J3nga

Island part is such a slog, endless shooting mixed with really bad stealth, it's a real shame and they could've done much better job in the remake.

Top Bottom