• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Review thread

Ellery

Fuck yeah. After playing it no idea how many years ago on the Gamecube and multiple failed attempts to replay it on PC I am glad that we get RE4 Remake next week and the reviews are superb.

About what I expected from CAPCOM. When I played the demo (for 5 minutes to check how it runs and the settings) I knew it was quality. Even felt like a step up from RE2/RE3 Remake in terms of graphical and animation quality.

:messenger_sunglasses: Diablo 4, Resident Evil 4, Zelda Totk, Final Fantasy 16 lmao what year is this, but god damn awesome.

Elios83

I'm too lazy to read the reviews, somebody knows if the PS5 IQ problem or Xbox control problem from the demo is mentioned in the reviews, and solved in final release?
Nope, according to John from DF in review code only missing RT effects on PS5 were fixed, poor controls on XSX and poor TAA/reconstruction on PS5 were not.
But there is a day one patch coming where they promised they would fix the rain at least.
So the impression is that the game needed a bit more time to be polished (but March is the end of the fiscal year for Capcom..).

Btw great scores, I had the game already preordered weeks ago.

Last edited:

dext3rr

Pizza Yes GIF

This is gonna be epic!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Goty of Goty is Gotc (century?)

You know what the best part is? I haven't played this since more than a decade. I remember very less.

Last edited:
I really hope the fix the PS5 version's blurry image g'dammit !

Also : No mercenaries , no Separate ways, why ?
Let me guess, they're gonna be sold as DLC later on (Separate ways most probably)

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What boss?

Some people are saying the shipping container boss is cut, but idk if its been confirmed. They’ll probably just add it for Seperate Ways if its not in the main game. I think Mercenaries is being added post-launch too.

GymWolf

Some people are saying the shipping container boss is cut, but idk if its been confirmed. They’ll probably just add it for Seperate Ways if its not in the main game. I think Mercenaries is being added post-launch too.
I only played re4 once on gc so i can't even remember this one tbh.

Dr.brain64

On the other hand, some sections have been cut entirely, but it is evident that this has been done with careful consideration and a deft touch. For everything taken out of the game, something new has been introduced to take its place. Capcom has clearly paid close attention to how these decisions impact Resident Evil 4's masterful pacing, and the delicate balance of combat, exploration, and some additional puzzle-solving that's light and approachable. - Gamespot

MikeM

I’m ignoring the Steam sale right now for this and TLOU on PC. Glad to see this is another quality remake.

Waiting on PS5 and PC performance reviews before buying tho. I want to go PC but stuttering and all that jazz.

Good reviews. Can't say I liked the demo though. Low resolution combined with sluggish controls. Perhaps the demo is an older build. I will wait for the Digital Foundry analysis of the full game first.

Kev Kev

I'm sure every major reviewer is going to be gushing over this thing, but I was just a little too put off by the left stick feeling so weighty. after 15 minutes I still couldn't get the hang of it and I felt like I was staggering and stumbling around. Right stick was fine for me though, and when Leon was running it felt perfect. So I dunno 🤷‍♂️

I'll wait till it's been out for a while to hear more opinions about the controls, preferably from people playing on PS4 and aren't doing a review for a big website. Maybe I'll watch a couple play through's on youtube to gauge the reactions of the players in real time. Tight feeling controls are important for me and the demo didn't hit the mark. Shame too, considering Remake 2 and 3 are a couple of my GOAT's and those controls felt near perfect.

Hopefully the demo was an older build and the tweaked the movement for the final release.

GymWolf

Haven't played this since the Gamecube, but holy shit is it expensive for an old Resi game. I've waited 18 years, I suppose I can wait the extra six months until it's priced like the rest of the series.
ougfMR2.png
It's around 40 euros on key sites if you have a pc.

GymWolf

I'm sure every major reviewer is going to be gushing over this thing, but I was just a little too put off by the left stick feeling so weighty. after 15 minutes I still couldn't get the hang of it and I felt like I was staggering and stumbling around. Right stick was fine for me though, and when Leon was running it felt perfect. So I dunno 🤷‍♂️

I'll wait till it's been out for a while to hear more opinions about the controls, preferably from people playing on PS4 and aren't doing a review for a big website. Maybe I'll watch a couple play through's on youtube to gauge the reactions of the players in real time. Tight feeling controls are important for me and the demo didn't hit the mark. Shame too, considering Remake 2 and 3 are a couple of my GOAT's and those controls felt near perfect.

Hopefully the demo was an older build and the tweaked the movement for the final release.
Someone said that the final version controls better.

Top Bottom