• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Review thread

Why is he gonna enjoy 4 more than 8? Because 4 is a much better game with a similar structure maybe?

Because its combat is better, story is better, weapons are better, and overall just better.

RE8 is just ok. RE 7 & 8 are just ok.

Hopefully it’s not just nostalgia

I loved RE8 and didn’t think the RE4 demo was all THAT great, but I’m excited to dive into the full game

GymWolf

Re4 shat on re8 from great heights and then teabag its shit smeared corpse for 3 hours straight.

Why is RE4 so much better than 8?

Never played much of 4
You are gonna find out with this remake if it's as good as the journalist say it is.

Unless you really love first person, werewolves and having a luna park with 4 different themes instead of an (almost always) cohesive game.

Stuart360

Bit surprised by how high the reviews are, only because i was expecting reviewers to be extra nitpicky with how beloved the orig game is.
User reviews will be extra interesting i feel.

Re4 shat on re8 from great heights and then teabag its shit smeared corpse for 3 hours straight.

So yeah, you are gonna enjoy re4.
RE8's combat to RE4's is like a bar cover band at 1AM. You haven't heard the original tunes in a long time, you're half-drunk on nostalgia and you enjoy it to the best of your ability. Then you sober up for the ending and wonder why the fuck you're here.

GymWolf

RE8's combat to RE4's is like a bar cover band at 1AM. You haven't heard the original tunes in a long time, you're half-drunk on nostalgia and you enjoy it to the best of your ability. Then you sober up for the ending and wonder why the fuck you're here.
That's almost poetry dude.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Because its combat is better, story is better, weapons are better, and overall just better.

RE8 is just ok. RE 7 & 8 are just ok.
RE8 I love to hell and back but that's just taste really. But RE7 I am sorry but you are wrong. Best selling game in the series (as of now), a proper return to survival horror and it rejuvenated the entire franchise to hell and back and hell all of the remakes and 8, owe it in many ways from structure to inventory, etc.

RE7 isn't OK. It's a masterpiece.

Never played much of 4
It's nearly universally regarded as one of the best games ever made. Virtually invented the modern cinematic TPS gameplay you see up to the present in things like TLOU. Nearly perfect pacing. Great bosses, level design, light puzzles. Fully re-invented a declining IP, about on par with how God of War (2018) did. Then had a great bonus mode that's been in the series pretty much ever since. Also had a great new game+ that everyone I know played multiple times. Even the inventory menu is so well liked that it inspired a spin-off game just based off the menu.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
RE8 I love to hell and back but that's just taste really. But RE7 I am sorry but you are wrong. Best selling game in the series (as of now), a proper return to survival horror and it rejuvenated the entire franchise to hell and back and hell all of the remakes and 8, owe it in many ways from structure to inventory, etc.

RE7 isn't OK. It's a masterpiece.
RE7 and its mud monsters were so boring. Only good part of RE7 was the tense opening sequence with sneaking through the house from the father. The rest, meh.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The Rock Clapping GIF

Stuart360

Hope this success means that RE5 Remake will come next.
Yeah 5 and 6 are far from perfect games, and a remake really could brath new life into them.

Wish they would do Code Veronica as well. Arguably my fave game in the series, but Capcom seem against it for some reason.

This thing made me buy a GameCube back in the day
had friends who bought gamecubes for RE4 too.
they didnt even buy any other games the rest of the generation. literally just RE4.
savages.

I rarely replay games and i'm the one who laugh for last since the remake is gonna feel at least 50% new to me over people knowing everything about the original one, i'm getting even more money per buck in this case.
the way the original feels is engrained into my body, so anything that feels off will give me physical pain.
im kind of screwed.

Ezekiel_

Banned
DualSense features seem well implemented :

"Heightened by the adaptive triggers of the PS5's DualSense controller, one-shot kills from the end of a shotgun or magnum feel weighty and mean. On the other hand, TMP (a submachine gun) sprays feel lighter yet more rickety as the trigger vibrates underneath your fingertip.

Haptic feedback does just as much for the experience. The PS5 pad matches the pitter-patter of Leon's footsteps, subtly rumbling from side to side as he explores the Spanish village. It then really comes into its own when the former cop wades through water, with the controller providing resistance in the form of vibrations that make you feel like you're fighting against the current to maintain balance. It's effective, providing the PS5 version a compelling reason to be purchased over other editions."

killatopak

Gold Member
No shit, one of them is a lazy ass remake who look 95% like tlou2 and doesn't even have the same combat improvements.

Nobody cared about tlou1 remake.
Nah man. I think TLoU is more of a remaster.

Also RE4 despite being perfect in my mind does have a lot to improve on compared to TloU which has a more modern control scheme. Story also has improvement.

Changing stuff up massively on RE4 is widely accepted while TLoU still plays great even before the remaster and changes to the core aspect of it will be widely disputed. Not saying one is better than the other though.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I just played through RE2 remake like 6 times in the last week on the PS5, and I hope the adaptive triggers are done better. I think what annoyed me most about them was every time I went into a menu or cutscene, the controller would make its noise to turn off the trigger tension. Then sometimes the noise would happen out of nowhere while running around.

I don’t think I noticed this issue with the demo.

GymWolf

Nah man. I think TLoU is more of a remaster.

Also RE4 despite being perfect in my mind does have a lot to improve on compared to TloU which has a more modern control scheme. Story also has improvement.

Changing stuff up massively on RE4 is widely accepted while TLoU still plays great even before the remaster and changes to the core aspect of it will be widely disputed. Not saying one is better than the other though.
We already had a remaster on ps4, the one on ps5 was a remake, just a lazy one.

5 people in the whole planet would have been against introducing better level design, more animations for the melee and dodge/prone, let's be real.

It was a cashgrab made because the serial was also about to release in a couple of months.

Last edited:

GymWolf

RE4 has been remade/remastered for every generation since PS2/GameCube Era.

The only game that has been re-released more is Skyrim.
fresh prince of bel air gtfo GIF

https://www.gamingbible.com/news/games-bethesda-skyrim-has-more-re-releases-than-resident-evil-4-now-20210820
And? How does that make the latest remake worse or tlou1 remake any better?

The previous re4 iterations were clearly half assed attempt, i never said that those weren't cash grab.

Tlou remake had devs lying about how it was made from the ground up on ps5 (while looking 99% like tlou2 and having worse gameplay).

Last edited:

XXL

And? How does that make the latest remake worse or tlou1 remake any better?

Before there was not enough horsepower to differentiate the graphic that much if this was your point and they were clearly half assed attempt not real one like this one

Tlou remake had devs lying about how it was made from the ground up on ps5 (while looking 99% like tlou2 and having worse gameplay).
No the REAL one will be on PS6.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Quezacolt

Imagine how RE3 could've been if Capcom put the same energy into it like they did RE2 and RE4 ☹️
RE3 was made by another team, with some help of the team from RE2.
not only that, but it also had to come out just 1 year after RE2, and probably didnt have enough time because of that.

GymWolf

RE3 was made by another team, with some help of the team from RE2.
not only that, but it also had to come out just 1 year after RE2, and probably didnt have enough time because of that.
So we praise capcom for releasing a lot of games but this is also the reason why some of them are crap?

Noice.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
We already had a remaster on ps4, the one on ps5 was a remake, just a lazy one.

5 people in the whole planet would have been against introducing better level design, more animations for the melee and dodge/prone, let's be real.

It was a cashgrab made because the serial was also about to release in a couple of months.
Youtube recommended me a comparison video of RE4 and TLOU Part 1. Mostly focused on minutia details but what stood out immediately was just how much better RE4 looked in comparison. Not a generational difference, but just a better looking game overall when put side by side like this.

I remember TLOU2 looking way better than RE2 and RE3 but its obvious that Capcom has continued to improve their graphics since 2020 with Village looking better than RE3 and now RE4 looking even better.

Both are last gen games but its clear that TLOU Part 1 is basically a game from 2020. Great looking but still, lagging behind the more recent games this gen.

Traxtech

Still can't believe these remakes and remasters that came out/coming out this year, I feel like a kid again

Last edited:
Blew my mind that TLoU Remake didn't flesh out the level design nor add any of the combat mechanics from TloU2. I'm sure it looks prettier but I'm not paying for that + less content.

Top Bottom