• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Review thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've seen somewhere hat previous RE games have the same bad deadzone on xbox so I wouldn't get hope up.
PS5 is softer but with lens distortion disabled, it's bit better.
Remember. You play the game at the end and dualsense offers a better experience

I hate the DS haptics and have them turned off on the system level.

tenor.gif

Eiknarf

Banned
I've seen somewhere hat previous RE games have the same bad deadzone on xbox so I wouldn't get hope up.
Pardon my ignorance on all things Xbox this generation, but does the Xbox Series X/S have controllers that have haptics and trigger effects??

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Resident Evil 4 Remake is reviewed and praised for its faithfulness to the original game while also adding reimagined aspects. The story follows Leon as the President's bodyguard and re-engages classic characters like Ashley Lord Sandler, resulting in a feeling of homecoming. The game's ambiance, lighting, and tension are all praised as being excellent, and the reviewer gives a high rating of 9.46 out of 10.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Amazon Germany already sent my copy...

Hmm... The usually never send this early. But it says delivery on 27th... Normally it never takes this long.

Oh my god... I hope this work out and the copy is waiting for me when I come back home from Hong Kong this Thursday and I can play this game over the weekend. 2 months no video games... I'm starved... And now to start with the Remake of my all time favourite game...

Sad Doctor Who GIF

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: Isa

Moses85

Hmm... The usually never send this early. But it says delivery on 27th... Normally it never takes this long.

Oh my god... I hope this work out and the copy is waiting for me when I come back home from Hong Kong this Thursday and I can play this game over the weekend. 2 months no video games... I'm starved... And now to start with the Remake of my all time favourite game...

Sad Doctor Who GIF
Hatte ich auch schon öfters. Kam nie vor Street Date.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
however you like it.
Deadzones are better there too. not that it has anything to do with dualsense

This is where preference is so good. I personally cant deal with a vaseline filter when I own both consoles and to me. The Dualsense is uncomfortable to me. It has sharp edges at the bottom of the wings that dig into my hand, it doesn't feel anywhere as ergonomically perfect as the Xbox controller and the haptic feedback is so weak nearly all the games ive played it doesnt do anything for me. I think the only game that wowed me was Returnal and the Astro bot built in game.

I wouldnt want to play this game looking like the PS5 version, that's maybe just me though.

BlackTron

This is where preference is so good. I personally cant deal with a vaseline filter when I own both consoles and to me. The Dualsense is uncomfortable to me. It has sharp edges at the bottom of the wings that dig into my hand, it doesn't feel anywhere as ergonomically perfect as the Xbox controller and the haptic feedback is so weak nearly all the games ive played it doesnt do anything for me. I think the only game that wowed me was Returnal and the Astro bot built in game.

I wouldnt want to play this game looking like the PS5 version, that's maybe just me though.

I don't like PS controllers either, however the dead zone on Xbox also sounds dreadful. Considering that we already have versions of the game with Wii pointer control and VR, to me this is a train wreck. What would be amazing would be to take the new graphics and patch in old controls using a Dolphin bar.

Spaceman292

Banned
I am sure the game will be a huge hit with great production values. That said, turning my favorite side character (Luis) into comic relief is enough reason for me to avoid it altogether.

P.S. Mercenaries was revealed at the end of the last trailer as free dlc. However, it will released at a later date.
Big Cheese Ballistics Luis was always comic relief.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
No lol. It's just optional things you can interact with. You can skip it all.

I'm just saying that in the original game, the graphics make it so much clearer that it's immediately obvious that you can use that to your advantage, as much as it's immediately obvious that you can jump on a platform as Mario. My argument is that modern day hyper-detailed graphics obscure some gameplay elements.
That makes no sense. A fence still looks like a fence and a window like a window no matter how good the graphics are. Sounds like your eyes just don't work.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That makes no sense. A fence still looks like a fence and a window like a window no matter how good the graphics are. Sounds like your eyes just don't work.
My eyes definitely don't work, but I have contacts. It's a topic I've been on for a few years now if you're interested.

it's the reason you have detective vision, Witcher hot neon footprints, yellow tape on ledges, glowing neon weak points in Horizon, Tomb Raider vision highlighting objects you can pick up, etc. It's because you can't easily see it. You can see it somewhat, but not at the same level of speed that you can in older games with fast paced gameplay that allow to easily and intuitively react to your environment. I just looked at both versions of the village section last week, and it's 100x easier to see what you can interact with in the old one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

HYDE

Banned
Did anyone else miss the rattlesnake in the crate from the demo section? Wondering if they removed all rattlesnakes & eggs from crates.

Last edited:

ssringo

Huh? Been a couple years but I thought the first snake-in-a-box wasn't until the little room on the bridge after the chapel where Ashley is.

You are gonna find out with this remake if it's as good as the journalist say it is.

Unless you really love first person, werewolves and having a luna park with 4 different themes instead of an (almost always) cohesive game.

RE4 is fantastic but it's not cohesive. The village, castle, mines, and island all feel very different in tone.

I am sure the game will be a huge hit with great production values. That said, turning my favorite side character (Luis) into comic relief is enough reason for me to avoid it altogether.

Luis was always a clown.

GymWolf

RE4 is fantastic but it's not cohesive. The village, castle, mines, and island all feel very different in tone.

Luis was always a clown.
It is still more cohesive than whatever they tried with re8 that really feels like a luna park with 4 distinct attractions.

Tbh, not being cohesive is the last of re8 problem for me.

ZoukGalaxy

May I say I hate video review ?
Ok, I said it. I must be old school but prefer actually to read a review to not to suffer videos reviewers voices and unbearable musics and video edit.

Last edited:
Is RE4 scary?
I've never played any RE games because it's a horror game but I heard that RE 4,5,6 are action games and less scary than others.
Only horror games I've played is Tlou 1 + 2.

Last edited:

Banned
I think it's fine too since it's Vampire and Werewolf. Until I saw some small footages of that fucking baby :goog_oops:

meh, all you need to know is that the baby is highly simplistic, it's like a short pacman sequence of getting away from it, in-between you just do a small puzzle with some scary sounds playing.

in that part of the game they take away your weapons, meaning the game only expected from you to run away for a bit.

the fact that they took away the weapons in that part made it 10x less scary for me because I know how limited the things the devs can do here is.
low interactivity kills immersion for me, and less immersion = less scary

Last edited:

Madflavor

I think it's fine too since it's Vampire and Werewolf. Until I saw some small footages of that fucking baby :goog_oops:

I actually envy you. The only two times I've been genuinely scared of Resident Evil were when I played Resident Evil 2 when I was 9 years old, and when my first experience with RE7 was in VR. But being scared only made the experience more fun and intense. Maybe you don't see it that way, but to me that sounds exciting.

Get the game and conquer your fear!

Nephron

Neo Member

Oh my god... I hope this work out and the copy is waiting for me when I come back home from Hong Kong this Thursday...
But what about Alterssichtprüfung?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This is a wild take, there is absolutely no way I would choose the ps5 version with that IQ. it's the worst I've seen this gen in a comparison.

I'd go with PC, mouse and keyboard first. If that is not an option I'm absolutely going xbox and letting my brain adjust to the awful dead zone.

I'm not playing some vaseline mess on a console that can drop below vrr range and stutter really badly for some weak haptic effects. They are too soft and I don't like the triggers at all. It's never felt right for me.

That shimmer......

Disgusted Steve Carell GIF

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I felt that Leon’s VA is off here somehow. Like I’m still nostalgic about OG Leon‘s voice who sounds more charismatic and fits in with the cheesy 90’s action movie one liners. Like he’s very confident and sure of himself. Remake seems more serious and nervous.

I think I’ve said this before in another thread but I do prefer the old VAs.

About Luis, yeah he’s a comic relief but at the same time very charismatic and likable. Like he’s joking as a coping mechanism for the stuff he’s done for the cult and is ultimately a good guy just by his limited interactions with Leon.

Anyway, I hope I’m proven wrong and actually like the Remake’s better if all the 10s give any indication.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is a wild take, there is absolutely no way I would choose the ps5 version with that IQ. it's the worst I've seen this gen in a comparison.

I'd go with PC, mouse and keyboard first. If that is not an option I'm absolutely going xbox and letting my brain adjust to the awful dead zone.

I'm not playing some vaseline mess on a console that can drop below vrr range and stutter really badly for some weak haptic effects. They are too soft and I don't like the triggers at all. It's never felt right for me.

That shimmer......

Disgusted Steve Carell GIF
It's not a vaseline mess if you disable broken lens distortion.
It's a game, you control it first and foremost.
ps5 version got higher fps too than xbox

Spaceman292

Banned
You are gonna find out with this remake if it's as good as the journalist say it is.

Unless you really love first person, werewolves and having a luna park with 4 different themes instead of an (almost always) cohesive game.
Since when was Resident Evil ever cohesive?

GymWolf

Since when was Resident Evil ever cohesive?
They are surely more cohesive than having 4 completely different setting in a single game.

A mansion with fireflies vampires (with the boss being a fucking dragon basically)
A cyborg factory (with a transformers movie bombastic boss fight)
A ghost doll house
Whatever moreau location was

And werewolves as standard enemies just to add some more flavour...

I don't think that even re6 with his 4 campaigns goes to these extremes.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I'm too scared to play horror games lol.
I’m 33 going to 34 in 2 months I still can’t play horror games. Funny because I’ve played every Resident Evil even the spinoffs. I really enjoyed Dead Aim. Getting older it is like something tick. I get very nervous and feel like my blood pressure goes up. Even RE4R might be too much for me even though I can finish the original blindfold because of how many hours I put into that game. The pacing is fucking gooooooood. I’m sad.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's not a vaseline mess if you disable broken lens distortion.
It's a game, you control it first and foremost.
ps5 version got higher fps too than xbox

But, I have a CX and a C2....Im sure you have a CX as well? How can you not feel the massive difference in the poor VRR implementation when it goes out of the 48HZ range compared to xbox?

It looks and feels to run worse on PS5 to me but you do you :)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But, I have a CX and a C2....Im sure you have a CX as well? How can you not feel the massive difference in the poor VRR implementation when it goes out of the 48HZ range compared to xbox?

It looks and feels to run worse on PS5 to me but you do you :)
I do feel. In performance mode it’s mostly north of 48

Spaceman292

Banned
They are surely more cohesive than having 4 completely different setting in a single game.

A mansion with fireflies vampires (with the boss being a fucking dragon basically)
A cyborg factory (with a transformers movie bombastic boss fight)
A ghost doll house
Whatever moreau location was

And werewolves as standard enemies just to add some more flavour...

I don't think that even re6 with his 4 campaigns goes to these extremes.
They all go crazy like that. Have you even played the other games? RE4 goes village, castle, military base, lab, mine.... Egc

Top Bottom