• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 VR announced (Oculus Quest 2)

kiphalfton

I hate that this is likely because of RE7 existing. I really hope RE doesn't become first person from here on out.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but third person is pretty much always superior to first person.

Fredrik

Give this guy a decent mic, goddamnit! Google has billions of dollars, and this is how they end up announcing a new game to the public. Just pathetic...
Google? I notice that people are cranky here but this still isn’t Stadia lol

Anyway, old game but should be really nice if they manage to pull it off at a high framerate, and I haven’t actually played through the original yet.

Fucking sucks having bought a Quest 1 shortly before they announced the Quest 2.

And since one is black and the other white I can't just upgrade without the wife noticing.

She ain't your mum, you can spend your hard-earned money how you want. Don't be a cuck. If she wouldn't notice you switching out a QUEST 1 with a QUEST 2 of the same color, you could probably fool her by saying you traded your set for a friends because it fits better or some shit.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I imagine seeing a shadow of a chainsaw blade approaching me from behind. I don’t think I would buy the equipment just for this game. It sounds awesome, but RE4 is probably one game I’ve purchased the most. Not just 2-3 copies. More like 5-6 different versions of it.

I know, and that's exactly why I'll be skipping all their products from now on.

If the machine is not able to run it, at least put a PCVR version in the Oculus store.

But we all know why they are doing this. Good luck to Oculus Quest 2 owners when they release Quest 3.
I see it as a positive. It means they are pushing their latest device to it's limits which stops the older devices from utilizing it. Means the consumer gets the best posible game.

Also when the Quest 3 is announced just sell your Quest 2 for loads of money and put it towards a Quest 3. Not a difficult thing to do. But moaners will be moaners.

Weird how they kept "step into the Resident evil world in a new medium" as if they people had no idea that Resident Evil 7 VR exists.
didn't you receive the memo? VR began with Oculus Quest 2 a few months ago... it'll take awhile, but the rest of the industry will begin developing VR titles soon.

I imagine seeing a shadow of a chainsaw blade approaching me from behind. I don’t think I would buy the equipment just for this game. It sounds awesome, but RE4 is probably one game I’ve purchased the most. Not just 2-3 copies. More like 5-6 different versions of it.
seeing? You'll hear it - accurate positional audio has been a thing in VR way before PS5.

Doom 3 is on Quest too. There are actually many worthwhile games beneath the tons of minigames...

CamHostage

Nope.

This feels to me that it's VR done all wrong. RE4 is action-prone, but it's not really about these tactile experiences that you can live in, it's about watching the character encounter and react to the horrors. It's stop-and-pop gameplay is way more about the stop than the pop, because when you're not moving, you may be vulnerable even though you've got awesome weapons, so you're often shooting on a split-second aim in order to get the hell away when your headshot spawns a gigantic tentaclecicle. And the environments are I would imagine much smaller than they feel, but with a character inhabiting them and having great agility to jump out of windows or suplex a zombie, they have an epic feel; move that to a roaming first-person and I feel like you'd see too easily that the lake is really small, it's just that you can't tell because it's foggy and a giant fish tries to chomp you every time you start the motor up.

Maybe they'll surprise people (they did get a notable studio, so perhaps Armature is putting more work into this than I'm giving credit for,) but RE 7/8 really had to be imagined for first-person play, and it would be a full-scale job to make RE4 a joy in not only first-person but VR.

I kinda wish these guys were still porting UE4 and Bloodstained to PS Vita instead...

CamHostage

in VR you're just there, even though if only as a lame camera man ("TP"). You have full spatial awareness, you can quickly glance in every direction...

See, I don't feel that's the way RE4 plays though. In VR horror games, yes, your ears and your awareness will mess with your head when done well because you know you could always turn around and see something that snuck up on you or is lurking where you thought the path was clear. RE4 is RE4. Enemies are placed strategically to establish good level design, environments can be large but don't have breakaway surfaces or paths where creatures can come from that you can't explore, and terrifying audio cues like the distant sound of a chainsaw (or the surprisingly nearby sound of a chainsaw ripping through the door you're about to open) are used for enemies designed around purposeful encounters, not so much the looming terror or the tossed cat every now and again. Doom 3 and even Skyrim VR or Borderlands make sense for VR; third-person games made first-person seem a much tougher task to translate. This would have to be a very different Resident Evil 4, maybe akin to the rework given to Resident Evil 4 Mobile. If it's that different, then I'm interested in seeing what inspirations RE4 led to VR, but if it's essentially the same game with a new perspective and even easier aiming, that sounds like a bad idea.

Kazza

No Quest 1?

Well, fuck you too Facebook

It seems like Zuckerberg believes in generations...

iu

Last edited:

McCheese

Never played 4 so really excited by this, moreso than village. Buying the Quest 2 was such a good investment, I've used it more than any other next gen system.

Keihart

RE4's combat it's like all about the new melee system, i wonder how that it's going to work.
Fighting those enemies without suplexes and roundkicks sounds kinda lame.

CrazyAlex360

Neo Member
Interesting to see the reaction on here. Some users not liking the facebook requirement, the quest 2 exclusivity and the fact that the graphics look outdated.

Will say at least for the graphic, even playing original Counter Strike maps that look worse than most PS1 games really feel different in the headset. Some things can take completely new levels of immersion and beauty when you are there.
I think the gameplay loop of RE4 will work well in VR and the Quest 2 has some impressive specs for mobile VR.

The Facebook requirement is bothersome and I understand the reluctance to create one for the headset. I have nothing other than my generic name attached and just use with my headset and not too concerned about the Zuck seeing me waggle in my living room. They do have a serious problem with their algorithm with new accounts however, but with the massive amount of Social VR being a big keystone of VR I can start to see the benefit of the Facebook integration. Despite all this 1984 requirements I am happy the device is very open. It is super easy to side load android apk and the hobby developer scene for the device reminds me of early Shareware days of floppy disks and Doom. Poetic considering on of the best games on the Quest2 is a fan made VR mod of Doom3 which is the definitive way to play even over the official PSVR release.

It being exclusive to the Quest 2 not too surprised at. Obviously as a Quest 2 owner I am relieved, and do feel for Quest 1 owners. It is amazing how much more horsepower the Quest 2 has, so at some point games would eventually be targeted to just work on the new hardware. With the amount of headsets and VR in general the Quest 2 has driven just in the last 6 months I think Oculus and Facebook are well within their rights and have earned the right to fund and publish exclusive games on their platform.

hlm666

See, I don't feel that's the way RE4 plays though. In VR horror games, yes, your ears and your awareness will mess with your head when done well because you know you could always turn around and see something that snuck up on you or is lurking where you thought the path was clear. RE4 is RE4. Enemies are placed strategically to establish good level design, environments can be large but don't have breakaway surfaces or paths where creatures can come from that you can't explore, and terrifying audio cues like the distant sound of a chainsaw (or the surprisingly nearby sound of a chainsaw ripping through the door you're about to open) are used for enemies designed around purposeful encounters, not so much the looming terror or the tossed cat every now and again. Doom 3 and even Skyrim VR or Borderlands make sense for VR; third-person games made first-person seem a much tougher task to translate. This would have to be a very different Resident Evil 4, maybe akin to the rework given to Resident Evil 4 Mobile. If it's that different, then I'm interested in seeing what inspirations RE4 led to VR, but if it's essentially the same game with a new perspective and even easier aiming, that sounds like a bad idea.
This makes a better VR game because its slower than doom and borderlands, and the scale of the world will feel way better. Seeing the fish in the lake flying at you will feel so more overwhelming than in 3rd person. As for combat being easier or less visceral if they make you reload like other pcvr games getting the mag or shell in with a chainsaw wielding loon bearing down on you will be tense.

That said I don't have a quest 2 so wont be able to play it anyway so fuck you facebook. I'll go play HL Alyx mods with my rift s.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I said nearly everything I needed to back in November when the rumours first happened, except that I will add that this will just be an easy headshot gallery. Wii version on steroids without the fun.

I would, however, like to player Mercenaries Water World in VR to see Super Salvador.

One of the key aspects of the gameplay, melee attacks, cannot co-exist with VR. That only leaves us with 2 possibilities:
  1. VR with no melee
  2. VR with steady camera melee (front kick)
Unless the rumour is false, you can’t have 4 in VR and it still be the same game. It doesn’t matter if it’s the original or a remake. If I can’t suplex a zealot, then it’s not 4.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Seeing the fish in the lake flying at you will feel so more overwhelming than in 3rd person. As for combat being easier or less visceral if they make you reload like other pcvr games getting the mag or shell in with a chainsaw wielding loon bearing down on you will be tense.

See, I feel like that's the Board Room answer about why RE4 would be a good idea, that, "You'll feel like you're THERE, dude!!!", but then once you get into the actual play mechanics and stage design of the game, you realize it doesn't translate so neatly.

Take the Lake Monster, for instance. Yes, seeing it pop up in front of you in first-person, terrifying! But... what if you're looking the other way? You miss a giant monster popping out of the lake. Then you turn around after wondering what that scary music sting was about, and there's this big pixelated, toothy monster way too close to you and you don't know what the hell it is. Everything was set up before in a carefully directed cutscene, but now it's first-person, and it'd be disorienting to constantly cut away when we want to be in with the character in VR, so we either have to force direction or change the action. So, okay, we can solve that by move the fish to always pop up in front of you. So now it knocks you in the water, and you have to swim back. Great, add some swimming waggle... except before, this scene was scary because we could see the fish monster behind us in the water and now we're looking forward towards the boat we're swimming towards (or maybe we're looking back sometimes, but again, there's no cinematic to motivate the player looking back,; the solution is in front of them, even though the fun is what's behind them. So we get back in the boat, and the fish monster grabs our anchor and we go for a ride and we're throwing harpoons and all of this is great for VR! So now, big finale, the monster is dead, and the final oh-shit with the rope tied on our foot... except this is VR and we're only tracking/showing your hands on screen, not your feet and legs (plus we're standing up, not laying down, kicking and squirming as we're being dragged to the edge of the boat into the watery abyss,) so we don't have legs to see as they get all caught up to drag us towards doom, so that needs to be rethought too...

Just a ton of little stuff like that which adds up to RE4 VR needing to be a different game in order to work in VR. Like you said, the combat may have to be modified to add the tension of physically reloading in order to make up for the ease of targeting, but again, that's not how RE4 is built to play. If this is a different game entirely in VR, then that's interesting, but so far they're calling this Resident Evil 4, not RE4 VR, so why make RE4 in VR when you could make a new RE VR (even set it in Spain with the Las Plagas, there's room for more in that world, or do an alt version of the story like the cellphone game or Darkside Chronicles) and have it be remixed right for VR?

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
except this is VR and we only have hand sensors, not foot sensors (plus we're standing up, not sitting down being dragged to the edge of the boat,) so we don't have legs to see as they get all caught up to drag us towards doom, so that needs to be rethought too...
*ahem*

Dream-Knife

Banned
If RE4 exclusivity is anything to go by, this will be on every VR in 9 months.

Weird that its exclusive to the quest 2 only and not the rift. FB is ruining oculus anyway.

I've played this game numerous times on many different platforms, that wasn't my point. I couldn't care less about the game in general, it's just the fact that there are VR exclusives that make it really hard to purchase a VR set. It's like having games being exclusive to a specific set of TVs.

That's all exclusives really. Only Nintendo has an excuse since they're running on ARM.

Last edited:

hlm666

Weird that its exclusive to the quest 2 only and not the rift. FB is ruining oculus anyway.
If RE7 VR Exclusivity is anything to go by this should be on every VR in errrr nvm.

Jokes aside its not really that weird when you look at the VR sales breakdown, quest seems to be on par with psvr. What is weird they are cutting quest 1 users out aswell, guess they are hoping to push them to buy a quest 2.

Dream-Knife

Banned
If RE7 VR Exclusivity is anything to go by this should be on every VR in errrr nvm.

Jokes aside its not really that weird when you look at the VR sales breakdown, quest seems to be on par with psvr. What is weird they are cutting quest 1 users out aswell, guess they are hoping to push them to buy a quest 2.
Well hopefully those people don't get turned off from VR due to this. Hopefully they jump ship.

hlm666

Well hopefully those people don't get turned off from VR due to this. Hopefully they jump ship.
Don't think this is big enough to do to much damage, Beat Saber 2 being quest 3 only will be when shots are fired lol. Thats pure speculation on my part obviously, but after this I fully expect that to happen.

like RE7

FB is ruining oculus anyway
without FB money and drive, Palmer Lukey's company would've been a footnote in history. Quest is the most successful headset to date besides psvr and the whole tech is just mind-blowing and Minority Report-like - the fact that mobile chips can't afford big modern graphics is a minor annoyance.

I hate to play devil's advocate for FB, but people should just grow up.

What is weird they are cutting quest 1 users out aswell, guess they are hoping to push them to buy a quest 2
or a Quest 3 early next year or something

then again, early next year is when I expect psvr2 to come. And Apple headset is about due some times ahead as well. Very exciting years ahead for second generation of VR investment in the coming years... hopefully comes out of prototype stage to actual transformative daily device along the decade...

Stitch

Gold Member
I don't know why Quest 1 users are surprised that there's now a Quest 2 exclusive. Quest 2 launched almost 7 months ago and is also much more powerful than Quest 1. This had to happen at some point. There's still going to be enough new games for both systems.
Wait does revive no longer work?
Revive is for Rift games. Rift games are installed on your PC HDD and are launched from there. Quest games are installed on the headset and are launched from there.

Buggy Loop

Looks better than The Walking Dead saint & sinners on Quest 2 right off the bat at least.. at first impression.

If the game is well made in VR, no vomit inducing QTE, I’ll buy at a high price!

Nearly all vr games in 2d video look shit, it really does a disservice to VR but there is no other way to market it.. Granted it's not the prettiest looking VR game that's for sure but it's on a phone powered headset, this will be frickin awesome!

Esppiral

They better rework those textures because they were even low quality back then imagine looking closely to one or those walls...

johntown

Banned
I would like to this positive and say that it will eventually come to the normal rift at least but given that RE7 still has not made it to PC I have my doubts.

Other quest only titles have made it to the normal Rift like the Star Wars titles.

IMO it does not make sense to keep it exclusive forever to just the quest 2. Regardless of what they say I hope it is only temporary but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Top Bottom