• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 VR announced (Oculus Quest 2)

Karak

I don't know why Quest 1 users are surprised that there's now a Quest 2 exclusive. Quest 2 launched almost 7 months ago and is also much more powerful than Quest 1. This had to happen at some point. There's still going to be enough new games for both systems.

Revive is for Rift games. Rift games are installed on your PC HDD and are launched from there. Quest games are installed on the headset and are launched from there.
Ah. was under the impression this one would be working via streaming since its so intensive and not on the quest hardware. Or have both options which I thought some did

FunkMiller

Ah. was under the impression this one would be working via streaming since its so intensive and not on the quest hardware. Or have both options which I thought some did

It'll be interesting to see what the graphical fidelity will be like on streamed games when they eventually come.

Wonko_C

Consoles last 5 to 7 years. The original Quest is not even 2 years old and already got fucked.
I guess with VR exclusivity you meant exclusivity amongst VR platforms themselves. I thought you meant the game shouldn't be VR-only. My bad.

And totally agree with you the Oculus2-only bullshit. Companies will always want to have the biggest piece of the cake to themselves, that's natural, but the way Facebook is going about it is too agressive, and I fear it's going to do more harm to the entire VR industry than good.

It'll be interesting to see what the graphical fidelity will be like on streamed games when they eventually come.
Shadow is a glimpse of that, and suppossedly pretty decent. Once dedicated cloud VR becomes a thing it will only get better.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Shadow is a glimpse of that, and suppossedly pretty decent. Once dedicated cloud VR becomes a thing it will only get better.

If it truly gets to the point where you can play something like Half Life Alyx streamed without a PC with latency that low - yeah, that's a game changer for anyone with a half decent internet connection. If Facebook decide to go down that route, and can successfully hit those kinds of benchmarks, on games of that fidelity, it really will explode.

Hell, I think Air Link will be huge if it works as well as, or better than, Virtual Desktop. Who the hell is going to buy another VR headset at that point?

Last edited:

FingerBang

This was one of the best news coming out of the amazing stream last night. I'm sorry for the Oculus 1 owners, and I hope they eventually backport it, but I'm really excited to play the game again in VR.

Honestly, the negativity on the web when it comes to VR is annoying. Yes, fuck Facebook as much as you want, but what's the alternative out there? Where's the competition? Who's making a better stand-alone HMD with a better support? Who's offering an all-in-one package at the moment? No one
I want MORE games for it. I want VR to be cheap and successful. I'm happy Valve and the others are making the expensive high end versions, but I'm not spending $1000 to play VR games because it's simply not worth it to me.

I hope this is just the beginning.

Tygeezy

RE4's combat it's like all about the new melee system, i wonder how that it's going to work.
Fighting those enemies without suplexes and roundkicks sounds kinda lame.
You can kick in other vr games(path of the warrior) and I’ve seen people body slam enemies in boneworks.

Keihart

You can kick in other vr games(path of the warrior) and I’ve seen people body slam enemies in boneworks.
Doubt they'll do something like Boneworks melee since that need a whole physics and animations system. But i think that might be what makes or brakes this port.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
At the blistering pace of 1 above average VR game being released every two years or so.
Industries as in VR take time to build just like with video games. I would say VR is at the N64 stage of VR.

For example the most recent game that just released on Quest is Swarm which reminds me of the days of playing StarFox 64. Massive boss fights, killer soundtrack, a unique story but still more arcade game than full on AAA game. VR has had its Zelda OoT or MArio 64 moment with Half Life Alyx. Facebook is investing tons of money with majority of their employees working on VR. The big games are coming and they are going to be more frequent. People that say this is a fad and there are no games need to understand we went from conception of VR to the N64 generation in under 5 years. Lets see were we are at in another 5 years.

Wonko_C

RE4's combat it's like all about the new melee system, i wonder how that it's going to work.
Fighting those enemies without suplexes and roundkicks sounds kinda lame.
Yes, that will probably be a bit of a bummer. My bet is that kick and suplex will be replaced with a prompt for the player to swing his/her arm and punch the enemies.

Thirty7ven

Banned
No thank you? What’s up with these companies thinking people spend hundreds of dollars on VR just so they can play ugly looking games?

Spaceman292

Banned
Industries as in VR take time to build just like with video games. I would say VR is at the N64 stage of VR.

For example the most recent game that just released on Quest is Swarm which reminds me of the days of playing StarFox 64. Massive boss fights, killer soundtrack, a unique story but still more arcade game than full on AAA game. VR has had its Zelda OoT or MArio 64 moment with Half Life Alyx. Facebook is investing tons of money with majority of their employees working on VR. The big games are coming and they are going to be more frequent. People that say this is a fad and there are no games need to understand we went from conception of VR to the N64 generation in under 5 years. Lets see were we are at in another 5 years.
I love VR too. It's definitely the *future*, but right *now* saying that VR is taking over is just silly.

CloudNull

Banned
I love VR too. It's definitely the *future*, but right *now* saying that VR is taking over is just silly.
I agree 100%. VR will never replace regular gaming but they both can co-exist. Your original comment was cheeky with a bit of truth too it. We still need more games. I am more speaking in general to people who say "fuck Oculus for making this VR only", or "people are dumb for thinking VR will stay around". There is an unusual hate for VR and it is hard to understand. I guess it is the same people who trash PC gaming or something.

Right VR has broken through to the Early Majority phase moving on from the Early Adopters when looking at adoption life cycle of new tech. Many new technologies never reach this point so it is irrational to see all this hate.

Romulus

At the blistering pace of 1 above average VR game being released every two years or so.

VR has only arrived in the last 2 years though and in that time theres been at least 7-8 superb games, and a couple of killer apps, and lots of 'good' games.
Not to mention ports that absolutely change games completely and there are a bunch of those. Racing and flight sims are untouchable in VR, even platformer are superior.
It's off to a great start if you look past the awkward phase and shitty Nintendo efforts like VB or Labo, or any 3DoF really. That's not VR.

gypsygib

I have a Quest 2, and am happy a VR version of this game is being made but it's stupid that people are excited that it's a Quest exclusive. Fanboys are pretty much always fools that place depriving others of games above there own self interests of more/better games.

If this released on Steam VR too you'd likely have the option of better graphics/FPS/mods.

Unless a game absolutely would not be made but for it's funding from one gaming company, exclusives don't benefit anyone.

CloudNull

Banned
Does anyone know if the game can run directly on the quest 2 without a need for a pc?
Yeah it does and that is why it is such a big deal. It is native to Quest 2 and no need to sideload or install a mod.

There are a lot of great older games that will run on the Quest which have been updated for VR but additional steps are needed to get them running which many Quest owners won't do.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I guess with VR exclusivity you meant exclusivity amongst VR platforms themselves. I thought you meant the game shouldn't be VR-only. My bad.

And totally agree with you the Oculus2-only bullshit. Companies will always want to have the biggest piece of the cake to themselves, that's natural, but the way Facebook is going about it is too agressive, and I fear it's going to do more harm to the entire VR industry than good.

Streaming VR is never going to happen. Wireless tech isn't reliable enough for ultra low latency 90+ fps. They can try it, but it will be a horrible experience.

Tygeezy

Yeah it does and that is why it is such a big deal. It is native to Quest 2 and no need to sideload or install a mod.

There are a lot of great older games that will run on the Quest which have been updated for VR but additional steps are needed to get them running which many Quest owners won't do.
Specifically all the excellent Dr. Beef ports (Doom 3, return to castle Wolfenstein, quake, and quake 2)

Tygeezy

Streaming VR is never going to happen. Wireless tech isn't reliable enough for ultra low latency 90+ fps. They can try it, but it will be a horrible experience.
Funny you say that because oculus just announced "airlink" which is the wireless version of their link to play pcvr games. Virtual desktop has been doing 5ghz wireless pcvr for two years now, and now it's getting official native support. Also shadow pc has been a thrid party solution for cloud streaming that works quite well. Nvidia now has an official cloud system for vr. Wireless pcvr absolutely is a thing at 90 hz and is only going to get better with lower latency wifi 6e.

Last edited:

Romulus

They're going to show more footage at the Oculus event.

One of the problems I had with RE4 even back at release was the canned death animations. They've aged terribly now. The game is proper over the top, but the animations just look beyond ridiculous.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Funny you say that because oculus just announced "airlink" which is the wireless version of their link to play pcvr games. Virtual desktop has been doing 5ghz wireless pcvr for two years now, and now it's getting official native support. Also shadow pc has been a thrid party solution for cloud streaming that works quite well. Nvidia now has an official cloud system for vr. Wireless pcvr absolutely is a thing at 90 hz and is only going to get better with lower latency wifi 6e.

You can claim to have anything, just like Stadia claims to not have lag and streaming works well. Streaming doesn't work well enough for 60fps on a flat display, its not going to work at 90-144fps in VR when drops and inconsistencies will literally make you sick.

The only reason these services exist is because its more profitable to get you to pay a monthly rate instead of buying a product once.

Romulus

You can claim to have anything, just like Stadia claims to not have lag and streaming works well. Streaming doesn't work well enough for 60fps on a flat display, its not going to work at 90-144fps in VR when drops and inconsistencies will literally make you sick.

The only reason these services exist is because its more profitable to get you to pay a monthly rate instead of buying a product once.

Quest has been pretty much the opposite of Stadia when it comes to making claims.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Quest has been pretty much the opposite of Stadia when it comes to making claims.
And google has more to do with internet infrastructure than Nvidia or Facebook.

If 5G does solve all the issues that fiber and broadband have with streaming, better open up your wallet because those 50gb "unlimited" plans aren't going to be enough.

Tygeezy

What are you talking about claims? It's useable RIGHT NOW and will only improve. VR has tech such as ATW and ASW to compensate for latency and frame stutters. Its why virtual desktop is highly useable.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Cloud VR?
Yes, shadowpc. Currently you get 30-35 ms of latency with virtual desktop and 40 ms if you use frame buffer. Airlink wont be using a frame buffer because it has asw support and wifi 6e will shave off 4 or so milliseconds. So assuming you have a reasonably close data center you're probably talking about 45-55 ms of total latency which will work fine with asw and atw support on the headset.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yes, shadowpc.
But it's still over existing broadband infrastructure? So all the lag and drops in stadia, but worse due to the lack of hubs, then amplified because you're trying to do it in VR.

You're also paying $12 a month to rent a $1000 computer.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Cloud VR is indeed coming in the near future. GeForce Now is a prime candidate since they have the best streaming solution from what I've used. You can already do it using Shadow PC, and with some fine tuning achieve some pretty impressive results.

After tweaking with Beat Saber(Steam) for a bit, I was able to get a nice low-latency experience despite:
1. Being on Wi-Fi with ~25' and 2 walls in between me and router
2. Shadow being finicky and making me leave an additional Shadow window open on PC to access VD
3. Recording locally on the Quest 2 headset.

Another example of where Cloud VR will shine is VR gaming setups for non-VR games. Here's DOOM Eternal being streamed over ShadowPC and played using a tiny pocket MOGA controller directly connected to the headset. You can also use Xbox One controller like this.

It seems like Zuckerberg believes in generations...

iu
2-year generations, the best kind of generations. :messenger_sunglasses:

Kazza

2-year generations, the best kind of generations. :messenger_sunglasses:

VR tech is moving super fast, unlike regular console tech (unfortunately). Comparing the two is like comparing human and dog years. If in two years time they can bring out a new headset at the same price point with a lighter/smaller set, eye tracking, haptic gloves etc, then I have no problem with that. These are still the young, fun and exciting years of VR tech, so I'm going to relax and enjoy the ride.

Can't wait for RE4VR!

just from holidays until now: Myst, Hitman Trilogy, Doom 3 have been released and are all above average.

and that's only counting names flatheads like you may know, because I'm quite excited for the likes of Maskmaker, Wanderer and Fracked soon.

don't pay much attention to the HL pc mister race fanbois - they will likely be chanting the Alyx chorus for the next 10 years until Lord Gaben releases the next installment and pcvr lives on with obscure early access indies. Meanwhile, Sony and Facebook are the only ones actively bringing good content into VR and being hated by those freedom fighters...

Last edited:

Romulus

VR tech is moving super fast, unlike regular console tech (unfortunately). Comparing the two is like comparing human and dog years. If in two years time they can bring out a new headset at the same price point with a lighter/smaller set, eye tracking, haptic gloves etc, then I have no problem with that. These are still the young, fun and exciting years of VR tech, so I'm going to relax and enjoy the ride.

Can't wait for RE4VR!

People have no idea how huge this could be. It's not an additive like Wii controls. Most just see this as a slightly different way to play, and they couldn't be more wrong.

The only question is if the port will be smartly designed.

Don't you have a Quest 1?
No, I got a Quest 2 when Sony decided not to allow psvr to have any huge benefits from PS5.

it's mobile hardware, it's just obsolete the next year, no way around it. I got my phone some 2-3 years ago thinking it would be ready for TES Blades, no luck.

Last edited:
EzDEjmqXMAMISZu

It looks like they completely retooled it for VR. It makes sense because facebook I believe is paying for this.

had they completely retooled it, we'd be grabbing guns from holsters rather than stupid 2D menus - but that may still be the case, only showing overall inventory here... let's hope.

I don't think this will have much melee besides knife stabbing. I'm not expecting any kind of physics, like in TWD SS. great game for different reasons than current VR tops...

Can't wait for RE4VR!
Sure, moving fast. That explanation won't make it any more enticing to get me more into their ecosystem though. I can definitely wait to get my money's worth somewhere else. It's not like I can even get a Quest 2 anyway, they completely screwed the IPD on that for my needs in their pursue of making it cheaper.

And it's not just about the games, Oculus was already giving all kinds of non-answers for Quest 1 support questions even before the Quest 2 released. That's not the kind of support I would expect from a company that wants to make something get traction for more adoption, and I won't incentivize that behavior.

I'll stick with PCVR because at least that still works (for now, if they don't remove Virtual Desktop support after releasing AirLink only for Quest 2 yay!), probably a better idea to stick with Steam where I can so I can move between headsets with more ease anyway.

A.Romero

I don't think ads are the only problem with FB. I mean, they still have your info they are just not able to display it to your devices while you are at home. They can still do shit with your data and serve whatever they want once you are out of the range of your pi-hole. I mean, I couldn't care less about data privacy to be honest. It's impossible to keep any semblance of privacy in modern times anyway but I do understand why some people don't want to go down without a fight.

I'm OK with exclusives. It's no different than console exclusives. I do have a problem with them supporting Quest 2 and not PC VR without any reason. Imagine Microsoft would launch an exclusive for Xbox S that doesn't run on Series X, that's just stupid. Like punishing people that have jumped onto their ecosystem.

I was about to buy a second hand Oculus to get a fucking cable because believe it or not, there are no replacement cables being manufactured for the first Rift but this bullshit has reminded me that it's not worth it now that FB is behind all this shit. No VR for me until a new affordable solution comes out.

CamHostage

Resident evil 7 would be way harder to run on quest 2 hardware.

Sure, although hey, Capcom just about got Monster Hunter World onto Switch with Rise, you never know what magic can come from RE Engine...

While the XR2 is easily more powerful than the switch, the game could barely run on PS4, which is far more powerful than Quest 2. It had to run at an almost unacceptable resolution to maintain the framerate on base ps4. Pro was serviceable, but that's like 8x more powerful than Quest 2

I understand that, and I was kidding, obviously... mostly kidding. Much like with MT Framework, I've learned never to doubt the power of RE Engine...

Last edited:
Top Bottom