• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Resident Evil 5" Demo Premiers Exclusively on Xbox 360 Starting January 26

DMeisterJ

Banned
Do exclusive demos even help sales? I mean, I understand exclusive games, and DLC, but demos? I mean, look at TRU, sold better on PS3 apparently. Was that because of the Exclusive Demo? Maybe not, but what's the point? A one week exclusive demo is going to do what? I really hope this wasn't paid for in some way, shape, or form. x_x I mean, what's next? Exclusive Title Screen? Exclusive loading screens? Exclusive textures?

McLovin

DMeisterJ said:
Do exclusive demos even help sales? I mean, I understand exclusive games, and DLC, but demos? I mean, look at TRU, sold better on PS3 apparently. Was that because of the Exclusive Demo? Maybe not, but what's the point? A one week exclusive demo is going to do what? I really hope this wasn't paid for in some way, shape, or form. x_x I mean, what's next? Exclusive Title Screen? Exclusive loading screens? Exclusive textures?
It had to be paid for. Generally you want more people to try the game, so Capcom has to be getting compensated somehow.

nightez

Banned
Sectus said:
I know, those are the controls I'm talking about. Back in RE4 people were fine with them, but there's been lots of complaints about the exact same controls for RE5.
For some peculiar reason the RE4 controls are shit when used in RE5 - the D setup is the best option. I replayed RE4, just to double check the controls and they're still excellent for that game. Either RE4 is more polished or the RE4 control configuration only works well on the GC controller.

RE4 were great, but almost every new RE always had some kind of improvement in their controls, even if you didn't like them, that's a fact, but with RE5 the best way to play the game is using the same exact controls of RE4, and what worst, games like Dead Space took the RE4 controls and made them 10x better just with a few tweaks, playing Dead Space and then going back to RE5 was like backpedaling.

I enjoyed the demo, and I will be there Day 1, but didn't reach the expectations I had, that's for sure...

GhaleonEB

I find controls are one of the reasons I'm turning away from Japanese action games (such as Lost Planet), but I like the action game genre. I'll give the demo a shot but what I've read about the control scheme does not sound promising; I get frustrated pretty easily by unusual or poorly designed ones.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DMeisterJ said:

EXCLUSIVE BOX ART... oh wait...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
DMeisterJ said:

There were a lot of big 360 games that came out at the same time as TR so I think that explains what happened on that side...

DMeisterJ said:
TRU sold better? You mean all the news after the UK charts? It did in the first week IIRC but after that...

Metalic Sand said:
The force is strong with this one.

I spent many years of my life in Star Wars games. Heck, I even was an instructor, Rank of Jedi Master[I think there were only 5 of them ever]) at The Jedi Academy if anyway remembers or knows of that :p

But yes, as we were say. I HATE.

Kibbles

Already played this demo a month ago, in English... not sure why they didn't release it on the Marketplace already, the Japanese one turned English when I played it :lol Game is pretty disappointing. Controls are shit... pretty unexciting. =\

Zenith

Banned
unf unf unf.

big_01.jpg

big_02.jpg

big_03.jpg

big_04.jpg

big_05.jpg

RyuHayate

Between that and Bat Boss, RE5 will have some of the most grotesque looking bosses in the series from what's been shown so far.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
dfyb said:
no, i was going to play both demos (still probably will if it ends up coming to silver members). the fact that it's STILL restricted to gold in japan is awful.

or any other of the millions of silver members...?

OK. I'll play along.

So you live in Japan.

And you have an unused gold card.

And this is the most traumatic thing to happen to you in some time.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD I HAVE TO WAIT ONE WEEK WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAAHHHHH

Fucking crybabies.

McLovin said:
It had to be paid for. Generally you want more people to try the game, so Capcom has to be getting compensated somehow.

Or maybe... just maybe, the 360 version passed through certification a week before the PS3 version did so it's ready sooner.

The only reason to hold it back to match the other timewise would be to calm fanboy tears.

Darkpen

Banned
the only scary part of RE4 was those guys with needles poking out of them, with really fucked up breathing.

Especially if you were completely used to shooting enemies in the knees up until then :lol

:'(

Amir0x said:
GEE I WONDER WHERE THE WEAK POINT IS ON THAT THING
Since HD Capcom games share the same engine, it was easy decision for them to implement Lost Planet's "Thermal Energy" system across all of their titles. It was just that compelling.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
a Master Ninja said:
Since HD Capcom games share the same engine, it was easy decision for them to implement Lost Planet's "Thermal Energy" system across all of their titles. It was just that compelling.

SHOOT THE GLOWY SPOT!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Amir0x said:
big_02.

GEE I WONDER WHERE THE WEAK POINT IS ON THAT THING

look extremely well hidden, gonna have a tough time with that one!

Maybe they havent added it yet, must be an old build.

That's BS because my XBOX360 just died and I have no intentinos of buying a new one. BS I say. Big BS. I'll just wait to play it on my PS3 =/

Ok I guess I didn't figure it out.

I downloaded the demo. I burned it to a data CD as an ISO using Toast. I unplugged my Xbox so I'm not connected to live. I put the CD in and went to the demos section of my library, and it's not there.

WTF did I do wrong?

WordAssassin said:
Ok I guess I didn't figure it out.

I downloaded the demo. I burned it to a data CD as an ISO using Toast. I unplugged my Xbox so I'm not connected to live. I put the CD in and went to the demos section of my library, and it's not there.

WTF did I do wrong?
I put it on a CD the first time too and it didn't work. But when I put it on a DVD it worked. I think you have to use a DVD.

the_zombie_luke said:
I put it on a CD the first time too and it didn't work. But when I put it on a DVD it worked. I think you have to use a DVD.
I tried that initially, but when I tried to burn the ISO toat said some bullshit about not being able to burn audio in that format and didn't let me make the DVD. WTF.

I even booted up the Windows portion of my iMac and tried to burn it like I saw in a YouTube how-to video, and that didn't work either.... it'd start burning and then just stop and say it couldn't complete it. Is there any other way to do this? I have blank CDs and DVDs galore, I have Toast 9, I have OSX 10.4.11, and I also have Windows XP on it. WTF. I want to play this NAO! Can't sleep!

Edit: Great, now what the hell is going on. I copied it from OSX to WXP, took like 2 minutes. Trying to copy it from WXP back to OSX is taking over an hour. God dammit I hate Windows.

McLovin

OldJadedGamer said:
Or maybe... just maybe, the 360 version passed through certification a week before the PS3 version did so it's ready sooner.

The only reason to hold it back to match the other timewise would be to calm fanboy tears.
Uhh... I have a 360 you know :/

WordAssassin said:
I tried that initially, but when I tried to burn the ISO toat said some bullshit about not being able to burn audio in that format and didn't let me make the DVD. WTF.

I even booted up the Windows portion of my iMac and tried to burn it like I saw in a YouTube how-to video, and that didn't work either.... it'd start burning and then just stop and say it couldn't complete it. Is there any other way to do this? I have blank CDs and DVDs galore, I have Toast 9, I have OSX 10.4.11, and I also have Windows XP on it. WTF. I want to play this NAO! Can't sleep!

Edit: Great, now what the hell is going on. I copied it from OSX to WXP, took like 2 minutes. Trying to copy it from WXP back to OSX is taking over an hour. God dammit I hate Windows.
I'm pretty sure this thread should help you better than I can:
http://digiex.net/games-downloads/768-resident-evil-5-demo-download-xbox-360-a.html
Just make sure you're burning a data disc and that it has the folder structure from the first picture in that thread.

MercuryLS

Banned
You know, I bet that most of these demo exclusives are like that because of circumstance. I bet that the dev can't get the demo out on both machines at the same time, so one comes out a little later. Then either MS/Sony gloat about how the demo is exclusive for a little while, kicking sand into other systems fans.

panda21

surely it actually hurts sales though

if the 360 version sells more because of an exclusive demo it just means they lost sales of the ps3 version because they didnt make a demo.

its not as if people who only owned a 360 would go out and buy it because there was no ps3 demo

Belgand

Full Recovery said:
Shiiiiit I played that a month ago.

And exclusive demos need to die, also exclusive gamestop demos need to die. *looks at KZ2*

Exactly. These are to convince people to buy your game. To get people who aren't just going to buy it based on hype or other marketing to buy the game. Or people on the fence to try out something that they might not be certain about.

Demos should be widely distributed to as many people as possible. I mean, a demo when you pre-order a game? Why!?! You're already planning on buying it!

PSGames said:
360 version has sold more.

Yeah, I might have bought it for the PS3 if there was a demo. Otherwise I'm inclined to listen to the weak reviews and not give it a chance at all. You're not increasing sales on a platform, you're losing them on the other.

I doubt people out there with multiple systems are going to buy a game on the system just because they played the demo exclusively on it.

Kafel

Banned
DMeisterJ said:

It brings awareness. No matter if TRU sold better on PS3, people know it has been released on 360.

MS will stay in the business for a long time.

Zhuk

Banned
It's really nice to see Capcom fully supporting and embracing the Xbox 360 and LIVE, they are an excellent example for other Japanese publishers to follow. :D

Belgand

Stink said:
clearly, the point of a demo for pre-ordering a game is to secure the pre-order.

Why would I pre-order it if I haven't played the demo? Isn't that the point of the demo... to demonstrate?

Kafel said:
It brings awareness. No matter if TRU sold better on PS3, people know it has been released on 360.

MS will stay in the business for a long time.

I thought that the Tomb Raider: Underworld demo was exclusive to the 360 (I hope because I can't find it on PSN and I wanted to play it). If it somehow sold better on the PS3 is this because the people with 360s actually played the demo and found out it sucked?

Siiiick, got it working. But it's 5:30 am here so I'm gonna have to wait till the afternoon to play it. Which is awesome because I have the day off. Yessssssss! *fist pump*

Top Bottom