• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition listed on PEGI for PC/Steam

The only reason I haven't picked up RE5 PC was the lack of the Gold Edition features. I'm guessing this also means RE.net integration as well?

Please, please, please let this be true. A dream come true.

RE5 DLC is some of my favorite DLC of all time, and it being on PC... oh, god. YES.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
GOLD EDITION!
LOST IN NIGHTMARES PC!

This is stellar news! Thanks for sharing Duder!

Bonus would be giving it to previous/GfWL owners.

Fantabulous move if you did that Capcom. I'd be Barry Sandwhiching people all day.

FoneBone

So they will charge for a DLC that's almost 5 years old?

We don't know yet. If it's like how a number of games (though certainly not all) have handled the GFWL->Steamworks transition, it may be offered for free to everyone who already owns RE5 on Steam.

Xpliskin

PORT EVERYTHING

everyone-o.gif

I like how they buffer the start of this gen though.

Seik

Banned
Good, Lost in Nightmare is something everyone need to experience if they like RE5, it's awesome. Now port Dragon's Dogma, please Capcom for god's sake! D:

Not that I'm port begging because I can't play, I have a it on PS3, being on PC could make the experience so, so, so much better. Is this kind of port begging kinda legit? :p

Erebus

We don't know yet. If it's like how a number of games (though certainly not all) have handled the GFWL->Steamworks transition, it may be offered for free to everyone who already owns RE5 on Steam.

That would be the right thing to do but I have my doubts because it's Capcom that we're talking about here.

They will not hesitate to cash-in on old content that should have been released years ago.

FoneBone

RE5 came out at a time that companies were just not seeing the profit potential in PC versions and a lot of them were gimped for downloadable content like that. I mean, the game used Games for Windows Live, so that just shows how much they cared about it at the time.
Yeah, a lot of publishers had a "be grateful you're getting it on PC at all" attitude. Late ports and late (or absent) DLC were pretty much par for the course.

This is all if the game even got a PC version in the first place.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I am literally close to crying tears of joy!!! I have been campaigning for the Gold Edition to come to PC for fucking AGES!!!!!!!!(see my activity on th Capcom forums). If this is true then God help me, because I already have over 900hrs of playtime in regular RE5 PC Mercenaries, and fear I may end up pumping 10x that amount into Mercs Reunion!

Oh shit this is just BONKERS NEWS!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The PC version already had the Deathmatch stuff.

Unless you're referring to mods then no, it did not. The deathmatch/survivors stuff was part of the Reunion DLC.

What I'm excited for is this will make it easier to integrate the already existing 4-player Mercs mod into the Reuinion stuff, giving everyone more of a seamless, less glitchy experience.

Oh and WHERE THE FUCK IS SECTUS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

ZeroCDR

Very exciting news! I was hoping but now I'm hyped!

RE5 is such an exceptional port on PC, can't wait to play the Gold content with kb+m.

Grief.exe

I imagine it'll be more of a

Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition Upgrade

scenario. I mean, it would be awesome if they gave all current owners the DLC, but new work went into new content and I don't think it's that crazy to expect people to pay for it.

Could be comparable to a Bioshock 2 situation, where current owners get the Gold Edition automatically, new players have to purchase it separately.

Though, when I think about the situation, Minerva's Den was already available on the GFWL store and 2K was unable to verify who owned the content. Allowing all owners access to the DLC covered all of the bases.

Steamworks pls

Already confirmed Steamworks.

The only reason I haven't picked up RE5 PC was the lack of the Gold Edition features. I'm guessing this also means RE.net integration as well?

I've heard RE.net integration is pretty sloppy.

ArjanN

Unless you're referring to mods then no, it did not. The deathmatch/survivors stuff was part of the Reunion DLC.

What I'm excited for is this will make it easier to integrate the already existing 4-player Mercs mod into the Reuinion stuff, giving everyone more of a seamless, less glitchy experience.

Huh, was remembering a mod i guess.

Either way that mode will be dead in a week again anyway.

I've heard RE.net integration is pretty sloppy.

No problems for me on Remake, RE6 and Revelations, although in Remake it doesn't really communicate how to connect to your Re.net account well, but once you've done that it all seems to work fine.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Fantastic news, the gold content of RE5 is my favorite part of RE5. Mercenaries Reunion is the best version of Mercenaries in RE5, the new alt costumes are the best alt costumes, and Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape are my two favorite chapters in RE5 personally, with some fun randomization elements to make them replayable.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
You guys talk the talk but will you walk the walk? I am personally and sincerely asking each and every one of you to PLEASE buy RE5 PC this time around if you already don't own it. Yes the game is old as hell but trust me when I tell you it's worth buying for The Mercenaries.

The PC version of the game as it is now is a straight up ghost town online. Finding a Mercs game is like pulling teeth, and the ones that *are* left playing either A)Don't understand how the game works B)Are elitist assholes who don't want to play with anyone they aren't friends with or C)Guys with absolutely horrendous internet connection.

Anyway I'm seriously hoping the inclusion of the Gold edition will bring tons of new players into the world of The Mercenaries. That game mode is without question the best modern "Beat 'Em Up" ever made.

abracadaver

I thought digital games don't need a rating?
And the only difference is the DLC anyway, why would they show it to PEGI again?

Corpekata

Banned
I thought digital games don't need a rating?
And the only difference is the DLC anyway, why would they show it to PEGI again?

They don't, but most games do it anyway. Hence why PEGI rating is how Valkyria Chronicles got leaked. I imagine a lot of bigger companies probably have an internal rule regarding it.

Sectus

It may have taken them 5 years, but we finally got it. I guess RE5 being GFWL was a blessing in disguise as I don't think they would have added GE content if they weren't doing the Steamworks transition to begin with.

With Gold Edition out of the way, Capcom better port over Dragon's Dogma 1 as well. Maybe in 2 years time?

Oh and WHERE THE FUCK IS SECTUS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hello! I'm actually not surprised by the news as someone from Capcom was hinting this would be a thing last year. And while I'm glad this is finally happening, I wish it hadn't taken 5 years. 3-4 years ago I probably would have gone crazy with modding this, but I don't really have the time and motivation to do so now.

A must-buy for Mercenaries Reunion

And a must buy for being able to use Barry and Rebecca in all modes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH1AACVbzlE

RE5 came out at a time that companies were just not seeing the profit potential in PC versions and a lot of them were gimped for downloadable content like that. I mean, the game used Games for Windows Live, so that just shows how much they cared about it at the time.

Capcom was really weird about PC support back then. On one side they made some extremely good ports (mostly thanks to MT Framework engine), but there were some really obvious omissions (like RE5 Gold and Dragon's Dogma), some key Capcom figures kept saying piracy didn't make PC worthwhile (actually, I think large parts of the industry was really worried about the topic back then, hence ubisoft going crazy with always-online drm), and PC ports were always released much later than the console counterparts.

Mifec

You guys talk the talk but will you walk the walk? I am personally and sincerely asking each and every one of you to PLEASE buy RE5 PC this time around if you already don't own it. Yes the game is old as hell but trust me when I tell you it's worth buying for The Mercenaries.

Only if they make it available to territories that couldn't buy it for GFWL. DS is on steamworks now but you still can't buy it in places that couldn't buy it when it was GFWL.

Awesome! I would love to get a "remastered" version on ps4/xbox one, RE5 is still one of the best looking games imo except for a few textures here and there.
The game is pretty choppy when playing split screen though. :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I kinda assumed it would get the DLC, since they were doing the GFWL removal anyway, but it's nice to get confirmation.

That's happened with other GFWL -> Steamworks conversions because the DLC was available on GFWL, but RE5 is different insofar that its DLC was never released on the PC at all.

Parsnip

Only if they make it available to territories that couldn't buy it for GFWL. DS is on steamworks now but you still can't buy it in places that couldn't buy it when it was GFWL.

DkS is still in transition. I have to imagine that once the Steamworks branch becomes the default public branch, that restriction goes away. That's supposed to happen soonish, I think they said that migration period would end in February.

Top Bottom