• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition listed on PEGI for PC/Steam

robgrab

The reason RE6 suffered a graphical downgrade is because they switched to deferred lighting, which is more demanding, so some compromises had to be made.

Elija2

Now that they've reverted back to the old executable, am I gonna need a new hack to remove the filter?

EDIT: Anyone else having problems with the latest patch where the game won't even launch? Verifying the game cache didn't do anything, and it even tried to install GFWL.

finley83

Banned
Now that they've reverted back to the old executable, am I gonna need a new hack to remove the filter?

EDIT: Anyone else having problems with the latest patch where the game won't even launch? Verifying the game cache didn't do anything, and it even tried to install GFWL.

It won't launch unless GFWL is installed. Xliveless doesn't seem to work either.

Pooya

RE4HD team should go and retexture RE6 after they're done. That game is so low res it hurts my eyes.

Tried this the other days, runs great at 120fps and looks good still. I hope MTFramework sticks around for some more games, Capcom's new engine development seems to be a blunder. Lost Planet 2 still looks really good, they can still produce competent looking games with it if they wanted.

finley83

Banned
Then what was the point of porting it to Steamworks? It worked fine without GFWL before the latest patch.

Latest patch includes a save/profile import tool, which necessitates logging in to GFWL. Stupidly there's no option to launch the game without the GFWL hook.

Mr_Zombie

Can y'all imagine if this was ported to PS4? 1080/60

UNF

*looking at PC version*

Yes, I could imagine. ;)

It's kinda funny looking at Capcom's MT Framework games last generation, as textures, framerate, and AA would become worse with each game.

You also have to keep in mind that each game is bigger and bigger. I haven't played Lost Planet games, but with DMC4 and RE titles: DMC4 had small arena stages, with almost each room separated by a loading screen. Same with RE5, although here stages were bigger. The game also had more different types of enemies visible on screen. Then comes RE6 with even bigger stages and more variations of enemies (including enemies that could randomly mutate in real time). Not to mention the difference in amount of assets in general needed to put on disc - RE6 is basically RE5 x 3.

However, I would love RE6 with DMC4 or even RE5 high-res textures and IQ, though. RE6 can sometimes look so amateurish, with smeared low-res textures everywhere and rubbish AA. And I don't want to even talk about the car chase in Chris' scenario - PS2-level assets all around you. :/

Mr_Zombie

The only real let down is Sheva. Good god is she ever retarded. She unloads the majority of her shots straight into my back and ends up never hitting a single enemy. Then she runs straight at my gun barrel when I'm firing a grenade and kills both of us. This is one thing RE6 did right.... they managed to make the partner feel like a passive asset rather than a giant, game breaking burden.

I've never had any problems with Sheva; well, maybe only in the 2-on-2 fight where she chased Jill instead of being my sidekick and healing me when I needed her to. :/ Just equip her with a pistol, sniper rifle and a stun stick and put her on defense mode. She will stick near you, kill only nearby enemies and from time to time headshoot someone in a distance (it's especially helpful in the sequence when you're traveling on that rotating platform in the lab).

BONKERS

It does. It's almost startling how much better it looks than RE6. Even though it's some 3 years older, these textures are light years ahead of the garbage in RE6:

Thanks for the tip about the hbao+ flag, it looks noticeably better than default. I did some google searching and found that 0x0000001A may be a little better overall. It looks nearly identical, but works on more distance objects.

The game itself is a lot of fun, too. In retrospect, people were too hard on it. Even the dumbest action segments, like the truck minigun chapter, do a faithful job of channeling a rail/light gun shooter. It's not as good as 4, but it's really solid.

The only real let down is Sheva. Good god is she ever retarded. She unloads the majority of her shots straight into my back and ends up never hitting a single enemy. Then she runs straight at my gun barrel when I'm firing a grenade and kills both of us. This is one thing RE6 did right.... they managed to make the partner feel like a passive asset rather than a giant, game breaking burden.

I've been saying for a long time that the move to deferred (Among other things) in RE6 absolute killed their texture budget on the PS3/360. I wonder if they even just made all textures low res to begin with or if they just downscaled them all to fit after creation.

I personally like the green-filter as that's part of the game's intended art design.

I feel extremely inclined to purchase the overpriced (More expensive than console equivalent) DLC now because of listening and reverting the .exe and now seemingly driver HBAO+ works without bleeding even with the Street Fighter IV flag. (Though I assume it still doesn't work in Cutscenes)

Elija2

Latest patch includes a save/profile import tool, which necessitates logging in to GFWL. Stupidly there's no option to launch the game without the GFWL hook.

Well that's dumb but I guess it's necessary for GFWL migration. I'm hoping that they'll eventually remove it for good though like Dark Souls did.

Neff

The reason RE6 suffered a graphical downgrade is because they switched to deferred lighting, which is more demanding, so some compromises had to be made.

Yep. For RE6, they retooled MT 2.0 to prioritise lighting, which was very dynamic and impressive, but was also extremely ram-intensive and didn't leave much room for non-essential textures. Dragon's Dogma used this retooled version too IIRC.

I played both RE5 and RE6 yesterday (360) and RE5 does still look incredibly good. I'd say overall RE5 probably looks more consistently impressive, but at its best, RE6 totally outclasses it with its filmic lighting, facial modelling/capture, and effects. And in a lot of ways, it's simply more visually ambitious. Some of the cutscenes are mindlblowing.

Can y'all imagine if this was ported to PS4? 1080/60

UNF

I'd be happy to pay for RE4, 5 and 6 again for PS4.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've not been wanting to mention this as I wasn't sure if it was intentional or a mistake, though I'm sure others know but I haven't seen anyone mention it (maybe everyone knows and its obvious?) but it did this on consoles too so I think it's intentional, but someone who doesn't own the DLC can still play the DLC with a friend who invites them to join their session, and earn achievements and such from it too. The only thing you don't get is the costumes, models, and being able to select characters other than the default in Versus and Mercenaries Reunion (default Chris and Sheva for Versus, Warrior Chris and Business Sheva for Reunion), outside of obviously not being able to play it by yourself or with someone else besides someone who already owns the DLC and invites you. I uncovered it stupidly the day the DLC came out by playing Lost in Nightmares with a friend who I THOUGHT owned the DLC, but found out the next day he didn't and he didn't even realize the DLC was paid content, and have played with several people who don't own it (and do own it) since then.

Parsnip

Well that's dumb but I guess it's necessary for GFWL migration. I'm hoping that they'll eventually remove it for good though like Dark Souls did.

They should've just put the gfwl import stuff in an optional "beta" branch that people could opt into and kept the public branch free of that junk.

Sectus

You also have to keep in mind that each game is bigger and bigger. I haven't played Lost Planet games, but with DMC4 and RE titles: DMC4 had small arena stages, with almost each room separated by a loading screen. Same with RE5, although here stages were bigger. The game also had more different types of enemies visible on screen. Then comes RE6 with even bigger stages and more variations of enemies (including enemies that could randomly mutate in real time). Not to mention the difference in amount of assets in general needed to put on disc - RE6 is basically RE5 x 3.

However, I would love RE6 with DMC4 or even RE5 high-res textures and IQ, though. RE6 can sometimes look so amateurish, with smeared low-res textures everywhere and rubbish AA. And I don't want to even talk about the car chase in Chris' scenario - PS2-level assets all around you. :/

That's part of my point. I didn't mean to imply it was only about the graphical fidelity, but they were pushing a ton of stuff forward. It's just unfortunate so many compromises had to be made, but it is understandable. I really wish they had made a PC port of Dragon's Dogma, as that game was definitely held back by the hardware.

This is pretty annoying from a modding standpoint too. Previous version came with a custom limited version of GFWL which wasn't too intrusive, but this version needs the full thing installed, which means the game now has code protection, which automatically crashes the game if modifications are detected to the game's code. It's pretty useless as anti-cheat (people wanting to disable it, can disable it, and it doesn't prevent general memory value changes), so it just serves as an annoyance. I haven't done a comparison, but it should also impact performance of the game.

Nerrel

Here's a comparison of the two HBAO+ flags I'm aware of:

Default AO
0x00000014
0x0000001A

1A looks about the same as 14 but it has a much more distant range. It also supposedly has less bleeding. It does kind of fuck up the 2D bushes in the background, but that's a small price to pay.

I don't know how performance compares, but this game is so easy to run at max settings it hardly matters.

RE4HD team should go and retexture RE6 after they're done. That game is so low res it hurts my eyes.

I'd prefer they spend their time on a worthwhile game.... :(

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Here's a comparison of the two HBAO+ flags I'm aware of:

Default AO
0x00000014
0x0000001A

1A looks about the same as 14 but it has a much more distant range. It also supposedly has less bleeding. It does kind of fuck up the 2D bushes in the background, but that's a small price to pay.

I don't know how performance compares, but this game is so easy to run at max settings it hardly matters.

I'd prefer they spend their time on a worthwhile game.... :(

Isn't "default AO" basically no AO, since the game didn't come with AO built in?

Also the last one is the only one that I feel I can really see a recognizeable improvement in, but the improvement it provides is pretty good.

Ahhhh... I knew it had to be something related to resolution. That's a real bummer since Flawless Widesceen used to run beautifully at 3840x1620. I'm not sure if there's plans to update Flawless Widescreen to suppport the Steamworks version of RE5 or if it's just a game breaking bug introduced in the latest patch.

I sure wish 21:9 would become more mainstream. I'm tired of always trying to hack my games to make them work in the ultra wide aspect ratios. When it does work though it's glorious.

UPDATE: I just finished playing for about an hour on a regular 16:9 monitor running downsampled at 3840x2160 and had NO crashes whatsoever so it's definitely a bug with non 16:9 aspect ratios. A damn shame. Hopefully someone figures out a fix/hack.

Fwiw, those crashes I would get were on the pre-Steamworks branch. It's an old bug that still exists, not one that was implemented with the patch it seems.

robgrab

Fwiw, those crashes I would get were on the pre-Steamworks branch. It's an old bug that still exists, not one that was implemented with the patch it seems.

Hmmm... Now that you mention it I do remember getting that same error code pre-Steam patch. During the campaign it would happen in very specific places usually right before a cutscene was supposed to trigger. There are two places in particular:

1. Crashes as Chris and Sheva approach a broken ladder where a cutscene is supposed to show Sheva examining the ladder to look for a key.

2. Crashes as Chris approaches the gap on a bridge that he's supposed to jump across which then shows a cutscene of an out of control driver careening towards them.

One thing I noticed before is I didn't get those crashes playing the DX10 version in those same areas. I typically didn't play the DX10 version though because I used the ENB that removed the color filter, which only works with DX9. Of course now that DX10 has been removed the problem is here to stay. Hopefully someone can figure out what's causing it because having that wider field of view, especially in Mercenaries Mode, is a literal life saver.

Nerrel

Isn't "default AO" basically no AO, since the game didn't come with AO built in?

Also the last one is the only one that I feel I can really see a recognizeable improvement in, but the improvement it provides is pretty good.
Resident Evil 5 has it's own AO flag in inspector, which the game obviously uses by default. It does provide some weak AO; you can even use it to force AO in RE6 (that game had none to begin with).

As far as the middle flag being weak, the shot I chose was deliberately long distance to show the difference in range between the two. In close up shots, where its effect is still actually applied, the middle flag actually can make a dramatic difference.

BONKERS

Resident Evil 5 has it's own AO flag in inspector, which the game obviously uses by default. It does provide some weak AO; you can even use it to force AO in RE6 (that game had none to begin with).

As far as the middle flag being weak, the shot I chose was deliberately long distance to show the difference in range between the two. In close up shots, where its effect is still actually applied, the middle flag actually can make a dramatic difference.

No, you are wrong actually. The flag RE5 has by default is only for DX10 (And only works correctly when HDR is at the default of RGBA8), and DX10 has been removed from this version.

Nerrel

No, you are wrong actually. The flag RE5 has by default is only for DX10 (And only works correctly when HDR is at the default of RGBA8), and DX10 has been removed from this version.

I didn't know that. I had read that there were no visual differences between the DX9 and 10 versions of the game, but I guess that's not true.

BONKERS

I didn't know that. I had read that there were no visual differences between the DX9 and 10 versions of the game, but I guess that's not true.

There really isn't by default outside of the AO which is done driver side from Nvidia.

The biggest visual difference comes from using the higher quality HDR setting that's hidden, less banding,flickering,etc.

BONKERS

I guess Capcom has stopped caring.

I mean FFS it's not like it costs you 40,000+$ to patch a game on Steam like on Consoles.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/21690/discussions/0/618458030688121927/

Still a ton of regressions from the GFWL version.

If we didn't have the GFWL version to roll back into, i'd be pretty LIVID right about now. And the GFWL version has it's own headaches.

Come on man. Seriously.

The community can only fix so many of your problems for you.

It doesn't even seem like you are giving DMC4SE the time of day either with any of it's problems. And THAT is how you are judging interest in classic DMC?

Sectus

It is unfortunate how it turned out. There's a couple of fan-made patches which are practically necessary. Survivors isn't even remotely balanced unless you get the fix for weapon drops.

I guess losing Svenn might have had an impact on Capcom's PC efforts.

Having more pro-PC people at Capcom USA would help, but the situation is at least better now than 3-5 years ago. Back then, we struggled to get stuff on PC at all. No Dragon's Dogma on PC, no RE5 Gold Edition on PC, and for a while it was looking like future versions of SF4 wasn't coming to PC (I think it was Super SF4 which skipped PC). But now all major Capcom releases are getting PC versions, and we're even seeing some PC-only projects being greenlit (like RE4HD, and the unfortunately buggy RE5 Gold Edition release).

I think one reason why there's been more buggy releases lately is due to outsourcing. No offense to whoever worked on the RE5 Gold Edition port, but that's the most shoddy Capcom PC port we've had since the Sourcenext ports in 2005. But whenever Capcom is doing stuff inhouse, we get really good quality. Original RE5 PC was super stable and had almost no bugs (the only huge downside was the missing DLC), same with DMC4 and other inhouse ports. I think DDO is the latest PC release handled by Capcom inhouse and that seems to be extremely well made.

It's also worth mentioning that some of the problems with recent PC ports aren't exclusive to the PC versions of those games. Revelations 2 had massive performance issues on consoles, and many of the bugs happened on every version.

Mr_Zombie

When QLOC was responsible for PC releases (e.g. RE4HD, RE6), even though on release their ports were a little buggy, they provided a long-term support and patched their games. It's sad that the finally released PC version of RE5 GE is so buggy. :/

Sectus

When QLOC was responsible for PC releases (e.g. RE4HD, RE6), even though on release their ports were a little buggy, they provided a long-term support and patched their games. It's sad that the finally released PC version of RE5 GE is so buggy. :/

Those could have received one or two more patches too honestly. RE6 has an annoying bug where joining someone's invite will fail a third of the time, there's missing text for one of the regional matchmaking options, and it really could use a "turn off voice chat" feature (if you've got a microphone, voice chat is always transmitted, you can't turn it off ingame). And RE4 still has some 60fps bugs, and a rendering bug which slightly blurs the entire image. And I'll forever be bitter that out of all things, the one thing they decided to give up on was the bolt action rifle reload animation.

strafer

Did something happen to the mouse and keyboard controls with this new version? I doesn't feel right to me now.

With the old version I could play just fine.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Those could have received one or two more patches too honestly. RE6 has an annoying bug where joining someone's invite will fail a third of the time, there's missing text for one of the regional matchmaking options, and it really could use a "turn off voice chat" feature (if you've got a microphone, voice chat is always transmitted, you can't turn it off ingame). And RE4 still has some 60fps bugs, and a rendering bug which slightly blurs the entire image. And I'll forever be bitter that out of all things, the one thing they decided to give up on was the bolt action rifle reload animation.

My understanding is that this is because originally, the game rendered in 4:3 with 16:9 letterboxing. I believe what they do is render it at 4:3 and then zoom/crop such that only the 16:9 viewing area is visible. I haven't tested this personally, but I believe if you were to render the game at a 4:3 resolution, then set it to display on your screen cropped you would likely get a perfectly clear rendering. Example, Instead of rendering at 1920x1080, render at 1920x1440 and set your GPU scaling to "no scaling." I think because of this, it isn't a bug so much as rendering as intended. Just sort of lazy I guess. You'd hope they could figure out a better way to do it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I guess Capcom has stopped caring.

This is the same Capcom that broke the Dead Rising 2: Off the Record process to where someone made a script in Windows Powershell to fix their broken importing.

Capcom don't give a fuck, Capcom don't care. It's basically "fuck you, we did a quick fix so we can continue to sell our shit port to you. Now fuck off."

Sectus

My understanding is that this is because originally, the game rendered in 4:3 with 16:9 letterboxing. I believe what they do is render it at 4:3 and then zoom/crop such that only the 16:9 viewing area is visible. I haven't tested this personally, but I believe if you were to render the game at a 4:3 resolution, then set it to display on your screen cropped you would likely get a perfectly clear rendering. Example, Instead of rendering at 1920x1080, render at 1920x1440 and set your GPU scaling to "no scaling." I think because of this, it isn't a bug so much as rendering as intended. Just sort of lazy I guess. You'd hope they could figure out a better way to do it.

1280x720 no AA: http://abload.de/img/bio42015-07-1619-39-2eyp7j.png
1280x960 no AA: http://abload.de/img/bio42015-07-1619-39-1zzonj.png

Both look the same, including the blur. I don't know what the cause is, but it feels a bit sloppy.

Fun fact for people still bitter at the state of RE5 Steamworks version (like me), I found out that the Steamworks ports of RE5/DR2/DR2:OTR were outsourced to Mercenary Technology.

http://www.mercenarytechnology.com/#portfolio

Although to be honest, a big chunk of the blame is probably on Capcom (seemingly) not giving them more time for post release support. It still is kind of awful though, the remaining bugs are easily reproducible and they probably could have fixed them with just a little more time.

I wonder if they are doing the Dragon's Dogma port?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
1280x720 no AA: http://abload.de/img/bio42015-07-1619-39-2eyp7j.png
1280x960 no AA: http://abload.de/img/bio42015-07-1619-39-1zzonj.png

Both look the same, including the blur. I don't know what the cause is, but it feels a bit sloppy.

I hadn't seen these when you originally posted it, but thanks for disproving my suspicion. That actually makes me want to step through a framedump of this game with something like GeDoSaTo to see at what point in the render pipeline do things get blurred, or at least see what resolution things are being rendered at along the way.

Top Bottom