• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 review thread

Zenith

Banned
Empire 5/5

OPM 5/5

GamePro 93%

OXM 9/10

OPM UK 8/10

Xbox World 81%

Resident Evil 4 GC had 96% average. Some info reported from the reviews:-

-The last quarter of the game has you
facing mostly Majini armed with guns, including AK74s. The contextual cover system is heavily prevalent in this section.

-Mercenaries co-op
is unlocked at the end of the game.

Whichever magazine was responsible for the latter quote, I would not want to be their editor right now. :D

While the former spoiler is annoying, I can actually see it being relevant information. The latter is pretty much just a straight spoiler, but it's something that people have been clamoring for. Understandable by that logic but annoying

So tempted to read the spoilers, but I wont.

Everyone else if you're duscussing them in this thread I'd appreciate total spoiler-tag-age, for those of us who want to read about reviews, without reading the reviews. Thanks.

USD

Fuck yes.
Mercernaries is gonna be fuck awesome. There had better be unlockable characters. Fuck shit awesome.

USD said:
Fuck yes.
Mercernaries is gonna be fuck awesome. They're had better be unlockable characters. Fuck shit awesome.
Agreed.
I'm hoping that Jill, Leon, and Claire will be unlockables, but that's a pipe dream at best.

Zenith said:
Whichever magazine was responsible for the latter quote, I would not want to be their editor right now. :D

Why, isn't that good news?

And why is this the first I'm hearing of the cover system?

Viperbah

anything mentioned in the reviews about ps3/360 differences?

I know there was framerate issues with the ps3 demo....just wondering if it has been fixed

I have it preorderd for ps3 currently-jw if i should change it.

Volcynika

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Why, isn't that good news?

And why is this the first I'm hearing of the cover system?

Due to lack of being in other reviews, maybe Capcom said people shouldn't mention it yet and it be a surprise? Iono.

Mamesj

Banned
crowphoenix said:
While the former spoiler is annoying, I can actually see it being relevant information. The latter is pretty much just a straight spoiler, but it's something that people have been clamoring for. Understandable by that logic but annoying

I don't get why the latter is a spoiler. why would knowing about that "spoil" playing the game? :lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
crowphoenix said:
While the former spoiler is annoying, I can actually see it being relevant information.

I agree. It sounds like something that should be on the back of the actual game case... I think it's a huge selling point for this game especially for those who
loved it in Resident Evil 4

Dead Man Typing said:
So tempted to read the spoilers, but I wont.

Everyone else if you're duscussing them in this thread I'd appreciate total spoiler-tag-age, for those of us who want to read about reviews, without reading the reviews. Thanks.
Dont. While they arent game breaking(especially the second one), Id play it safe. If you must read one, read the second one.

jett

D-Member
Those can barely be considered spoilers. Oh noes there's even MOAR shooting as the game progresses SPOILULZ.

And the second one...come on who didn't see it coming. At least it's not DLC. :p

Davey Cakes

iconoclast said:
Why so low
Why NOT so low?

I'm glad that the initial reviews don't include all 10/10's for what is obviously the year's most hyped game. That prevents it from becoming GTA4. Hooray!

marwan

Banned
i want the zombies and mansion back, i honestly don't like the direction the series is heading towards, it feels more like a 3rd person shooter than the classic survival horror we used to love! ...but at the end of the day i'll buy it anyways!

obaidr

Banned
I will love resi 5 as a great action game but i will never admit it as a real resident evil game. It acctually didn't deserve the "5" in its name. It should be something else like "shooter" or i dont know.

vala

from rehorror:

The latest issues of OPM and Xbox World Magazine had reviews of Resident Evil 5. Both claimed to have the first. Highlights:

-There are files and diaries about the early history of Umbrella.

-Like other reviews they both say real-time item management is a total hassle for an action game.

-With online, pressing pause only pauses your player's movement. The game will carry on and enemies will still attack you.

-If your online buddy hasn't unlocked a certain weapon you cannot give him it or its ammunition.

-The friendly fire option was apparently scrapped. Shooting your partner will still send them into a "flinch" animation and stop them from firing but they will not lose health.

-Both players must press the skip cutscene button for it to skip. At the shop screen where you select your loadout, one player pressing confirm will activate a 60-second countdown for the other player to finish up.

-Each chapter has its own online leaderboard for completion times and rank awarded. A good rank will unlock a figurine.

-A records screen keeps track of your hit/miss ratio for each weapon, your deaths, enemies defeated and more.

-There is a level select menu.

-Mercenaries co-op is unlocked at the end of the game.

-A "History of Resident Evil" section contains detailed profiles of everything that appears in the game.

-Josh was Sheva's mentor.

-When Sheva is AI controlled she will shout out hints that tell you how to progress to the next level.

-Screens show Sheva facing four Lickers at once, on her own, during one of the mandatory split-up moments.

-The last quarter of the game has you facing mostly Majini armed with guns, including AK74s. The contextual cover system is heavily prevalent in this section.

-You cannot manage items when in cover.

-In the later sections the "ethnically diverse" Majini disappear.

-Regarding the final boss battle, the reviewer says "The final encounter is a huge disappointment. Don't worry, I won't spoil it for you, but it's meant to be a massively important battle that definitively brings certain parts of Resident Evil's story arc to a close. But the frustrating difficulty and the fact that it's almost impossible to work out what you're meant to be doing makes for a crushing finale that's a joy to see the back of for all the wrong reasons."

OPM gave the game 8/10 and Xbox World gave it 81%.

Joe211 said:
jill is dead right?
Really? Damn. I need to brush up on my RE history. I had no idea.

Mamesj said:
I don't get why the latter is a spoiler. why would knowing about that "spoil" playing the game? :lol
When dealing with a very vocal community of complainers, it's better to just assume it's a spoiler especially if it's an unlockable.

vala said:
-Regarding the final boss battle, the reviewer says "The final encounter is a huge disappointment. Don't worry, I won't spoil it for you, but it's meant to be a massively important battle that definitively brings certain parts of Resident Evil's story arc to a close. But the frustrating difficulty and the fact that it's almost impossible to work out what you're meant to be doing makes for a crushing finale that's a joy to see the back of for all the wrong reasons."[/spoiler]
Kill off
Wesker
and not
Spencer
PLEASE

marwan

Banned
obaidr said:
I will love resi 5 as a great action game but i will never admit it as a real resident evil game. It acctually didn't deserve the "5" in its name. It should be something else like "shooter" or i dont know.

the series is starting feel more MGS than RE. *hides under the table*

Davey Cakes

marwan said:
the series is starting feel more MGS than RE. *hides under the table*
I've said it before. People will always mention RE5 as "progression" for the series, but I don't exactly see it that way.

I’m all for progression, but RE5 is NOT an example of preferable progression for a series that’s supposed to be survival/horror. I don’t see why they couldn’t just use RE4 as a template and move the series further upwards in terms of horror rather than just putting in more action, even less puzzles, and a huge focus on co-op play.

Games and genres can grow within themselves, they don’t need to borrow from other genres or even just straight-up become other genres in order to do so.

bomb_jack

I do not like the sound of enemies having guns later on in the game at all. When has an enemy in a Resident Evil game ever had a gun? Crossbows and Nemesis don't count. I had been very generous to RE5 up until now but I think this is straying too far from the formula.

~Kinggi~

Banned
bomb_jack said:
I do not like the sound of enemies having guns later on in the game at all. When has an enemy in a Resident Evil game ever had a gun? Crossbows and Nemesis don't count. I had been very generous to RE5 up until now but I think this is straying too far from the formula.
RE 4, i seem to recall uber zombies with chainguns.

bomb_jack said:

Straying too far? The Island in RE4 had zombies dressed like bikers wielding miniguns.

Zachack

I've read all of the spoilers so far and none of them are much of a spoiler. If anything they're pretty obvious.
I’m all for progression, but RE5 is NOT an example of preferable progression for a series that’s supposed to be survival/horror. I don’t see why they couldn’t just use RE4 as a template and move the series further upwards in terms of horror rather than just putting in more action, even less puzzles, and a huge focus on co-op play.
Please, RE4 was already a complete departure and if we're supposed to take UC seriously (rather than an example of Capcom taking advantage of fanboys and people who don't know any better) then RE hasn't been "scary" since the PSX. RE4 was not scary in the least and the abundence of items removed the majority of "survival".

RE4 was, however, awesome, so no surprise that they would just continue with the winning formula.

Shawn

Banned
Zenith said:
OPM UK 8/10

Xbox World 81%
If Resident Evil 5 is anything like Resident Evil 4 -- which was one of the best games from last generation -- it doesn't make sense to me why RE 5 would receive a score in the 80th percentile.

And LOL... don't tell me that a score of '8' is "good" for a game of the magnitude of RE 5. When one considers the context -- this is Resident Evil 5 we're talking about here -- a score of '8' out of '10' is far from flattering.

And don't give me this crap about "control issues." Again, if RE 5 is anything like RE 4, this whole thing about "control issues" is invalid, since RE 4 had NO "control issues."

I am not even sure how the second one can be considered a spoiler. It was pretty obvious. Hell i was actually worried that it was something important.

MrHicks

Banned
i just played the demo 5 times in a row in an epic battle with the controls and i give up
i really tried to get used to them but i guess im just to weak to adapt
im seeing all this hype and i wanna participate but oh well..

its safe to say "re5 and me are DONE proffesionally"

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Shawn said:
If Resident Evil 5 is anything like Resident Evil 4 -- which was one of the best games from last generation -- it doesn't make sense to me why RE 5 would receive a score in the 80th percentile.

And LOL... don't tell me that a score of '8' is "good" for a game of the magnitude of RE 5. When one considers the context -- this is Resident Evil 5 we're talking about here -- a score of '8' out of '10' is far from flattering.

And don't give me this crap about "control issues." Again, if RE 5 is anything like RE 4, this whole thing about "control issues" is invalid, since RE 4 had NO "control issues."
Have you ever heard of XBox World? Me neither. They need sales. Bad score = Controversy. Controversy = Sales

Shit, their cover even has SHOCKING SCORE written on it. It's just a ploy for more sales, that's all.

Sectus

Just a little warning, I've stumbled upon some posts on other forums with really REALLY huge spoilers. Spoilers which would spoil the entire game, not relativelly small stuff like
Birdlady is Jill
. So this is a good time to avoid forums which doesn't bother to add any spoiler warnings, or not look at spoiler tags in this forum. I guess there's some people out there with access to the full game and an urge to talk all about it on certain forums.

Pojo

Banned
Lostconfused said:
I am not even sure how the second one can be considered a spoiler. It was pretty obvious. Hell i was actually worried that it was something important.
...but you highlighted it anyway.:D I can see it now...the furrowed expression on your brow, tapping of the desk a few times, a quick glance away from the screen, then highlightreadphew.

Davey Cakes

TheCardPlayer said:
Have you ever heard of XBox World? Me neither. They need sales. Bad score = Controversy. Controversy = Sales

Shit, their cover even has SHOCKING SCORE written on it. It's just a ploy for more sales, that's all.
Maybe.

I'd rather see a game get a "shocking" low score than for the magazine to try to be the first one out and give the game an "expected" 10/10 or something.

I think it's safer to deny a low score, play the game, and love it, than to accept a really high score, play the game, and then have it not live up to expectations. Then again, I believe that avoiding scores in general is the best thing. This is RE5. It's one of those games that RE fans were going to buy anyway. Why need a score to confirm that?

Zachack said:
RE4 was not scary in the least and the abundence of items removed the majority of "survival".
I disagree. Resident Evil 4 is all about surival. In stints like the village, you are not safe. It's not like you'll have a hunter chasing you in a hallway, and you're safe once you get to that door and enter the next room. No, you are trapped in a village overrun by people that are trying to kill you. There is no safe room. You have enemies coming after you from every angle. Even if you enter a building, ganados will be coming from the roof, the windows, and the downstairs.

This really gives me a sense of surival-horror. Maybe it's not "scary" in the sense of creepy atmosphere, but there is a pure adrenaline rush that tells you you have to survive. It's a different kind of fear that I feel in RE4. I just want to survive.

Rolf NB

crowphoenix said:
I don't understand. It's a selling point,
added longetivity, a definite plus
. I don't even know why we're spoiler-tagging this information. Why would anyone be offended to know it up front?

zoukka

bcn-ron, thanks to you I looked on the last spoiler...

Why the fuck is it spoiler-tagged :lol Feel free to look it people it really is retarded.

iconoclast said:
Why so low

Sort of ironic that just the other day I listened to the old GFW Radio podcast after Shane was called out by some ass for giving Crysis an 8/10...with those exact same words.

Assemble!

RE spoilers don't ruin anything, so I've been digesting as much as possible. Just makes me wanna play more. Day one! Stop and pop, please!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Great scores all round. I wish I could actually read the full reviews (damn magazines).

Also, Zenith, from what you have seen, is the playtime actually 7-8 hours as that one source claimed, or is it closer to 15-20, like everywhere else has been reporting?

Top Bottom