• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident evil 5 was awesome, and I hope it gets a remake.

Was RE5 good and worth a remake?

• RE5 sucked, No remake.

Votes: 67 26.6%
  • RE5 sucked, Yes remake.

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • RE5 was good, Yes remake

Votes: 114 45.2%
  • RE5 remake.. BUT single player..

Votes: 53 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RE5's visuals hold up, at least I think they do. I like the characters, but I think the plot is meh and the game gets worse as it goes on, instead of better.

No full-on remake necessary, maybe just a remaster with some QOL improvements to the AI?

Jada_Li

Banned
You know they'd take out the rock punching, so what's the point?
Does Capcom know their audience? Did they leave out "Where's everyone going? Bingo?"

Capcom, as already mentioned previously, did acknowledge the fans humorous jabs at Chris boulder punching in RE8 during the fight with Heisenberg. It's become so popular like Leon's one-liners that if RE5 were to be remade why remove it? It's become iconic to the RE franchise.

spookyfish

It didn’t deserve all the hate it got, but — would have been fine without coop, and the Banner-Grey-Hulk-modeled Chris.

Madflavor

This was so stupid, why'd they have to put that line in? I get it's a "Lol references!" moment, but how the hell would Heisenberg even know about that? Wesker is dead, and Sheva was on the other side of the crater trying to get back to Chris. The only person who knows Chris Redfield punched a fucking boulder, is Chris Redfield. So this means one of two things:
  • The line just flat out makes no sense.
  • Chris bragged to his comrades that he punched a boulder into lava, everyone thought he was joking until he insisted it was true, and he got a reputation of being a weirdo. Somehow word spread to Romania where a reclusive douchebag named Heisenberg heard about it.
Chris.jpg

Last edited:
Does Capcom know their audience? Did they leave out "Where's everyone going? Bingo?"

Capcom, as already mentioned previously, did acknowledge the fans humorous jabs at Chris boulder punching in RE8 during the fight with Heisenberg. It's become so popular like Leon's one-liners that if RE5 were to be remade why remove it? It's become iconic to the RE franchise.

They cut its spiritual predecessor, the boulder chase, from 4 remake.

And Leon sitting on the throne I believe :(

This was so stupid, why'd they have to put that line in? I get it's a "Lol references!" moment, but how the hell would Heisenberg even know about that? Wesker is dead, and Sheva was on the other side of the crater trying to get back to Chris. The only person who knows Chris Redfield punched a fucking boulder, is Chris Redfield. So this means one of two things:
  • Chris bragged to his comrades that he punched a boulder into lava, everyone thought he was joking until he insisted it was true, and he got a reputation of being a weirdo. Somehow word spread to Romania where a reclusive douchebag named Heisenberg heard about it.

He definitely found a way to work that into every conversation he could afterwards. I'm surprised he doesn't mention it at the end of re7.

Last edited:

Jada_Li

Banned
Chris.jpg
It's possible Heisenberg knows since Chris read a report on the Ganados from Leon that he wrote a report on his mission in Kijuju and mentioned he did that to save Sheva. So yeah, not bragging but maybe Heisenberg somehow hacked the BSAA system and read some reports written by Chris. Even Sheva said his reputation precedes him so it wouldn't be unbelievable that Heisenberg would of heard or read about Chris. Especially since Chris is the one that relocated Ethan and Mia at the command of the BSAA. Come to think of it in RE8 if you look through the curtain before starting the cutscene meeting Heisenberg at his factory, on the wall the map reads, "BSAA Come!!".

20210519202404_1.jpg

So Heisenberg did know about the BSAA and was the one I believe who contacted the Europe division. On the other hand, Chris at this point went rogue with the Hound Wolf Squad and is actually breaking the rules at the North American branch of the BSAA. Extra background information was shared with the deluxe edition of RE8; a file called, "The Baker Incident Report" written by Zoe. Very interesting backstory leading up to the events of why Chris is in Europe.

So the future of Chris and the BSAA will be interesting in the future of RE. Not to mention why is the European branch using B.O.W.s

HYDE

Banned
Amazing game. Completed it multiple times in co-op with friends. Had a blast.

It needs a remake, and I hope it doesn't ditch the co-op aspect of it.
Agreed…but it would be neat if they offered the ability to play it solo also.

nah, one of 3 things: the resident evil developers don't take the series nearly as seriously as some of the series' fans do, & simply broke through the fourth wall, kojima-style...

-Zelda-

Banned
Same. I really like 5 and I even really like 6, which is usually something that gets me flamed and trolled for admitting. First time posting it here though, so we'll see if this site is more open minded to "bad entries" like Resident Evil 6 for Capcom and Final Fantasy XIII for Squareenix.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Same. I really like 5 and I even really like 6, which is usually something that gets me flamed and trolled for admitting. First time posting it here though, so we'll see if this site is more open minded to "bad entries" like Resident Evil 6 for Capcom and Final Fantasy XIII for Squareenix.

RE6 is a bad game and FFXIII is hardly a game. Nothing about them are "bad entries", they are just objectively bad. The former is far too limiting, linear, and full of QTEs to the point of absurdity. It is a chore to play through and takes itself both too seriously and lasts far too long. The latter is literally hallways with zero thought in its combat until the last few hours of the game and its incredibly limited side content. If I can literally spam X for 25 hours with the rare paradigm shift to quickly heal or make debuffs, again all by spamming X, then they fucked up royally.

Its why I want to see RE6 get a proper remake. Maybe they can make it into a great game as it does have some interesting ideas and a decent story outline. They just failed to make it fun.

Synless

RE6 is a bad game and FFXIII is hardly a game. Nothing about them are "bad entries", they are just objectively bad. The former is far too limiting, linear, and full of QTEs to the point of absurdity. It is a chore to play through and takes itself both too seriously and lasts far too long. The latter is literally hallways with zero thought in its combat until the last few hours of the game and its incredibly limited side content. If I can literally spam X for 25 hours with the rare paradigm shift to quickly heal or make debuffs, again all by spamming X, then they fucked up royally.

It’s why I want to see RE6 get a proper remake. Maybe they can make it into a great game as it does have some interesting ideas and a decent story outline. They just failed to make it fun.
Prove that bolder part. You can’t win past that frozen lake, let alone 25 hours in without being strategic with paradigm shifts… Which is the core gameplay mechanic, not the menu attack items.

Resident Evil 6 however, you are right about. huge disappointment after RE5.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Prove that bolder part. You can’t win past that frozen lake, let alone 25 hours in without being strategic with paradigm shifts… Which is the core gameplay mechanic, not the menu attack items.

Resident Evil 6 however, you are right about. huge disappointment after RE5.

Sorry kiddo, not about to replay a shitty game and record it for your own self-satisfaction. Try again.

Dutchy

Yes and no.

I like my remakes as faithful to the original as possible. Every little nuance and detail included. But in case of RE5, there are so many fundemental things they should change in order to improve on the original because it was just that much of a step down from RE4. They'd have to redesign a lot to make it up to standards imho.

Playing through RE5 with a friend literally right now and oof, it's rough. The level design is so bad. Both of us are just constantly hugging map barriers because it does such a bad job of showing which area's are accessible and which aren't. Which is especially bad since the game does reward exploration, with tons of secrets to pick up along the way.

Also, ain't no way they're gonna remaster Chris punching a boulder rofl

Dutchy

Heisenberg refers to Chris as a 'boulder punching asshole' in RE8. So they it's not getting retconned anytime soon.
Yeah I know. Love that bit.

I can still see it get retconned one way or another. Maybe in a slightly humorous way that doesn't fully deny the fact that Chris at least tried to punch a boulder.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Absolutely awful game that aged like a turd. Shit controls, shit filtered graphics, awful sound balancing and Sheva AI makes me want to put the director of the game on the electric chair. In my honest opinion it should be death sentence to make such a stupid shit system like the forced coop.

0/10

Would rather stab myself in the both eyes with a fork rather than touching this shit.

AVOID and don’t fucking touch this shit game Crapcom.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Absolutely awful game that aged like a turd. Shit controls, shit filtered graphics, awful sound balancing and Sheva AI makes me want to put the director of the game on the electric chair. In my honest opinion it should be death sentence to make such a stupid shit system like the forced coop.

0/10

Would rather stab myself in the both eyes with a fork rather than touching this shit.

AVOID and don’t fucking touch this shit game Crapcom.

Nah was a decent game

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes and no.

I like my remakes as faithful to the original as possible. Every little nuance and detail included. But in case of RE5, there are so many fundemental things they should change in order to improve on the original because it was just that much of a step down from RE4. They'd have to redesign a lot to make it up to standards imho.

Playing through RE5 with a friend literally right now and oof, it's rough. The level design is so bad. Both of us are just constantly hugging map barriers because it does such a bad job of showing which area's are accessible and which aren't. Which is especially bad since the game does reward exploration, with tons of secrets to pick up along the way.

Also, ain't no way they're gonna remaster Chris punching a boulder rofl

I'm sure the game aged badly. It's been a while. But I remember having a deal of fun playing coop with my best mate and brother shouting out enemie locations, sharing resources.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
RE5 needs a complete back to the drawing board remake, I really can't see how to remake it without gutting the whole game out.
Outside of characters and location, everything must go.
And the story needs a complete rewrite, especially the Jill shit.

Maestr0

No, I believe the next remake in the RE franchise would better be either Code Veronica or 0

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Nah was a decent game
RE5 needs a complete back to the drawing board remake, I really can't see how to remake it without gutting the whole game out.
Outside of characters and location, everything must go.
And the story needs a complete rewrite, especially the Jill shit.
I agree with both of these takes. It's a fun game, especially with friends (same with 6!) But it doesn't hold the same cultural cache that RE 1-4 do.

I'd be ok with a timeline divergence where RE 5 & 6 OG become old-canon with the new RE Remake series becoming the new way forward.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Loved FF 13 it was my first one outside of emulated FF1 and 4. I played RE 6 with a friend and I liked it too. It made me buy the remakes.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I agree with both of these takes. It's a fun game, especially with friends (same with 6!) But it doesn't hold the same cultural cache that RE 1-4 do.

I'd be ok with a timeline divergence where RE 5 & 6 OG become old-canon with the new RE Remake series becoming the new way forward.

Culture cache? 5 and 6 become cannon. I'm such a casual. Then again I'm never interested in stories.

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Not to take any away from your sentiment friend

Last edited:

TGO

Grildon Tundy Grildon Tundy
I believe RE6 could be saved by focusing on Leons scenario in Tall Oak's, like RE5 they should change the year the game takes place
RE6 takes place 9 years after RE4
I think the timeline shouldn't be that big.
RE5 should be shortly after RE4.
and RE6 should be 2 years after RE4
They could have Helena Harper separate from Leon for majority of the game to give you some alone time and build up suspicion.
Bring Sherry into Tall Oaks as a second scenario/ala Claire.
And this is one of the reasons the timeline should be adjusted
Instead of being a agent Sherry is a student at Ivy University.
Sherry scenario will be extremely horror heavy.
More so the normal for an RE game.
Sherry will also use Melee Weapon until later in the game when she finally meets up with Leon.
The University is also a lot bigger now and more locations are in Tall Oak's to explore.
This will be RE2/3 on a RE4 Scale
Ada & Chris are in the game but completely different story focus on the outbreak in Tall Oak's.
Ada will have her own scenario but more like Separate Ways.
Helena Harper will have DLC story
Albert Wesker is alive and well too

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

I replayed RE5 recently and was stunned at how slow it felt until the final chapters, considering the furore on release of how actioney it was at the expense of the scariness.

It *did* feel like a big departure back then, but post-Uncharted 2 action games have upped the spectacle so much that Re5 feels like a weird action game relic, while not being a scary game either. I came away liking it less than I did at launch.

Last edited:
It would take a redesign to bring it up to their recent offerings. They would need to make it less linear, add more puzzles and actually allow for some exploration outside of the lake. The main problem we have if it is in development, is that it is probably being made by the team who did Resident Evil 3 Remake, so I don't have much hope.

TGO

It would take a redesign to bring it up to their recent offerings. They would need to make it less linear, add more puzzles and actually allow for some exploration outside of the lake. The main problem we have if it is in development, is that it is probably being made by the team who did Resident Evil 3 Remake, so I don't have much hope.
This is true, but they are the Team behind the original RE5 too, as well as RE7/8.
Understanding the difference between the teams you tend to get the idea of what to expect from them.
Post RE the teams are split up and looks like this
Team 1- RE2/RECV/REmake/RE4/RE6( Leon/Ada Scenario)/ RE/RE0HD/ RE2R/RE4R

Team 2 - RE3/RE0/RE5/RE6(Chris/Jake's Scenario)/RE7/RE3R/RE8
this excluded spinoff titles that Team 2 did including the Revelations series and that shitty Umbrella Corps game.

I would have said they are the best team to do it as they was the originals but, they was also the originals on RE3.
So I am sceptical too, but hopefully they learnt from the feedback from RE3R.

Top Bottom