• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 - Xbox 360 vs PS3 Demos Comparison

codecow said:
You can't ship on Xbox 360 without AA, it's a certification requirement. With that said, you're right that a lot of games do not use 2x or 4x FSAA but they are required to have at least some.

Interesting, is this a recent development in terms of certification? There are quite a few older 360 titles which do not have AA.

burgerdog said:
Wrong, both had 60fps gameplay. The jungle killed the fps on 360, though.
So was it both 60fps gameplay but the 360 only had 30fps cutscenes? I know 30fps came in somewhere. :lol

codecow said:
You can't ship on Xbox 360 without AA, it's a certification requirement. With that said, you're right that a lot of games do not use 2x or 4x FSAA but they are required to have at least some.

Right just like 720p is a certification requirement that was broken even by launch games like Project Gotham racing, and the two top selling FPS on the system Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3.

Free AA isn't free, but from what I've said 360 is usually better in that department than PS3 due to the way the console is designed (isn't it something to do with a couple megs of EDRAM or some other such techno jargon design thingy?). That or you can just believe "developers are lazy". This is just yet another example in a long, long line of multiplatform games.

Psychotext said:
So was it both 60fps gameplay but the 360 only had 30fps cutscenes? I know 30fps came in somewhere. :lol

IIRC the PS3 cutscenes vary between 60 and 30 FPS, whereas 360 cutscenes are locked at 30.

Never played the PS3 version I'm going off what people said at the time. Also the 360 one is missing a shader on the ice enemies which makes them brown.

And I also remember reading that the forrest caused problems for both platforms. Tearing/slowdown on 360.. just slowdown on ps3. Again this is all shit I read.

codecow

Arpharmd B said:
Right just like 720p is a certification requirement that was broken even by launch games like Project Gotham racing, and the two top selling FPS on the system Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3.

Free AA isn't free, but from what I've said 360 is usually better in that department than PS3 due to the way the console is designed (isn't it something to do with a couple megs of EDRAM or some other such techno jargon design thingy?). That or you can just believe "developers are lazy". This is just yet another example in a long, long line of multiplatform games.

Good point on the 720p. You're right there is a requirement that the minimum frame buffer size is actual 720p and yes you're right that specific games have gotten a waiver for this requirement (mostly first party).

Sean*O

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Er....the texture resolution in these pictures are damn near identical. The only difference I see is the image rendering.

Same pixel dimensions, yes. But the detail level of the PS3 textures is reduced to use less memory.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
rezuth said:
Bionic Commando Rearmed is GRIN thou, only Capcom publishing.

Edit: DMC4 ran faster on PS3? I thought they were both capped at 60FPS and from the screens I saw it looked awful on PS3.
Yes, it ran smoother on PS3, but the difference was quite minor. This was only obvious during the forest scenes which slowed down more often while also tearing on 360. The PS3 framerate still dropped a bit, but it remained higher throughout.

The visuals look exactly the same, for the most part, with the method of AA resulting in an additional blur while moving on PS3 (which duplicates a very similar effect found in the first three DMC games). Textures, models, effects, etc. were generally the same with the only obvious difference being the ice shader used on enemies during the snowy portions (a more complex shader was used in the PS3 and PC versions that was lacking on 360).

Basically, the point is, the PS3 version was rock solid. It's only downfall was the type of screen smoothing used which resulted in smearing while moving. The fact that the first PS3 game to use the Framework engine was so solid suggested that future games would be every bit as good.

Lost Planet was a bit of a downgrade on PS3, but it was ported by another company. The end results were very close to the 360 version, but image quality took a bit of a hit and the framerate was unlocked (it could jump up to 60 fps which resulted in a constant back and forth between 30 and 60 fps that looked awful).

I'm disappointed that Framework hadn't improved on PS3. I expected the PS3 version to match the 360 version in every area aside from image quality (a limitation of the GPU, really). In the end, the demos are very close, but the framerate stability just isn't there on PS3 and that surprises me. That said, the demos are both older builds so it is entirely possible that the final version will feature a solid framerate on PS3. Regardless, I doubt the image quality will improve so the 360 version is pretty much the version to get if you have a choice (I'd say PC, but that will make CO-OP more difficult to enjoy for some people).

Of course, I suppose one can't complain too much. The PS3 version is still very close to the 360 version and people with only one of the platforms will be pleased. This is nothing like the GC to PS2 port of RE4 where there were clear differences between the two. These two versions are 95% the same.

Same pixel dimensions, yes. But the detail level of the PS3 textures is reduced to use less memory.
No they are not. The textures only appear to lose detail as a result of the Quincunx anti-aliasing enabled on PS3. It creates smoother edges at the expense of in-surface detail. The textures are exactly the same between the two games but high frequency detail suffers due to this method of AA. That's all.

dark10x said:
This is nothing like the GC to PS2 port of RE4 where there were clear differences between the two. These two versions are 95% the same.

The differences between many of these PS3/Xbox 360 multiplatform games are so minuscule compared to previous generations, it would seem that other factors like controller preference or friend list sizes or whatever else would be a much more significant determiner when it comes to deciding which version to buy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Felix Lighter said:
The differences between many of these PS3/Xbox 360 multiplatform games are so minuscule compared to previous generations, it would seem that other factors like controller preference or friend list sizes or whatever else would be a much more significant determiner when it comes to deciding which version to buy.
I pretty much agree. For someone like myself, who is pretty picky, it's nice to know which version is superior, but for most gamers, the differences are so miniscule that it really shouldn't matter. Multiplatform releases have never been better.

PnCIa

- After completion of the game graphic filters, unlimited ammo, alternate costumes and an "arcade mode" among other things become available.
THIS. Seriously, they better have an option to bring back the old super contrast filter (like in the first ingame trailer), it gave the game a unique look.

Dyno

Played both versions multiple times. All is well. There is nothing noticable different on this one when you're playing the game.

Really.

Wow though, 10 pages!

Always-honest said:
hard to believe, but i'm in no position to judge this right now. maybe with my next 360 ;P
Wait what... So you never actually compared component with HDMI?

So then where did this statement come from?

Always-honest said:
image quality between Component and HDMI is not as big as you would think.
???

Rimshot

I haven't been active in this thread so excuse me if I ask something already answered before. I have both consoles this game will be releasing on and I am having a hard time trying to decide which version to get. So since the graphics are so close to each other there really isn't any reason to choose based on that I wanted to ask you all if there are any info on if any version will have exclusive DLC or something lie that? I remember Capcom saying something about PS3 owners going to be happy, does this mean the PS3 version will get something exclusive through PSN? If this is the case it will be the PS3 version for me, otherwise it will be X360 version as I have more friends who owns one of those to play with.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Rimshot said:
I haven't been active in this thread so excuse me if I ask something already answered before. I have both consoles this game will be releasing on and I am having a hard time trying to decide which version to get. So since the graphics are so close to each other there really isn't any reason to choose based on that I wanted to ask you all if there are any info on if any version will have exclusive DLC or something lie that? I remember Capcom saying something about PS3 owners going to be happy, does this mean the PS3 version will get something exclusive through PSN? If this is the case it will be the PS3 version for me, otherwise it will be X360 version as I have more friends who owns one of those to play with.
That as referring to the Home space, I think.

No exclusive DLC has even been hinted at. DLC, yes, but console exclusivity, no.

If you have both consoles, I'd say go with the 360. No frame rate drops, slightly better textures. However, if you have more friends buying the PS3 version, just buy that, it will be fine. The difference between the two is basically negligible.

http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=bh5demo

It's been linked a few times in this thread, but the above shows the graphical differences better than anything else.

Rimshot

Rez>You said:
That as referring to the Home space, I think.

No exclusive DLC has even been hinted at. DLC, yes, but console exclusivity, no.

If you have both consoles, I'd say go with the 360. No frame rate drops, slightly better textures. However, if you have more friends buying the PS3 version, just buy that, it will be fine. The difference between the two is basically negligible.

http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=bh5demo

It's been linked a few times in this thread, but the above shows the graphical differences better than anything else.

Thanks for the fast answer :)
And here's hoping there won't be any difference in cutscenes as dmc4. Cause I like the 360 gamepad better for shooters.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Rimshot said:

Ps3 and 360 version, when it comes to everything asset-related is identical. Even the image quality is nearly identical.

However, to achieve AA on the ps3 version, they are using something that slightly blurs the image a little. It is only noticeable if you look at side-by-side comparisons.

The big difference between the two is the framerate. Its pretty choppy in the ps3 demo, while butter smooth on the 360 nearly all the time. Claims have been made that the retail version is fixed but reviews have said there is still slowdown present. Also, people here claim 360 has some massive screen tearing problem. Thats a myth as ive yet to see any tearing in the 360 version.

The safe bet is 360. If you want to go with ps3 for whatever reason, i'd wait till release and see if mentions of slowdown is present. Also, there is a install period for the ps3 version, while 360 requires no install.

As far as exclusives go, there are rumors that M is launching a RE 5 themed 360 bundle pack, which could mean they might have some exclusive dlc if its that big to them. We dont know anything for certain.

But since you say you have more friends on the 360, that seems like a no-brainer.

Erebus

~Kinggi~ said:
Ps3 and 360 version, when it comes to everything asset-related is identical. Even the image quality is nearly identical.

However, to achieve AA on the ps3 version, they are using something that slightly blurs the image a little. It is only noticeable if you look at side-by-side comparisons.

The big difference between the two is the framerate. Its pretty choppy in the ps3 demo, while butter smooth on the 360 nearly all the time. Claims have been made that the retail version is fixed but reviews have said there is still slowdown present. Also, people here claim 360 has some massive screen tearing problem. Thats a myth as ive yet to see any tearing in the 360 version.

The safe bet is 360. If you want to go with ps3 for whatever reason, i'd wait till release and see if mentions of slowdown is present. Also, there is a install period for the ps3 version, while 360 requires no install.

As far as exclusives go, there are rumors that M is launching a RE 5 themed 360 bundle pack, which could mean they might have some exclusive dlc if its that big to them. We dont know anything for certain.

But since you say you have more friends on the 360, that seems like a no-brainer.

Just wanted to mention that the screen tearing on 360 is not a myth. I don't know what is causing it (resolution/display connection?) but it's definitely there for some people at least in the demo that is available now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DarkUSS said:
Just wanted to mention that the screen tearing on 360 is not a myth. I don't know what is causing it (resolution/display connection?) but it's definitely there for some people.
It's the resolution. Set it to 720p (its native res) and the tearing all but disappears (there is some infrequent tearing, apparently, but I haven't noticed it).

Erebus

I think it'd be better to keep the official thread devoid of comparisons (at least for now), so I'll just go ahead and post these here.

resident-evil-5-20090225081608694.jpg

resident-evil-5-20090225081602100.jpg

resident-evil-5-20090225081603569.jpg

resident-evil-5-20090225081605006.jpg

Apparently, they aren't from the demo.

Top Bottom