• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 announcement imminent!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertM

I'd love it if they made RE4 prototype come to fruition. It had the atmosphere and the feel of the earlier RE games, but please less emphasis on the action and more on exploration/puzzles.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Dark FaZe said:
So by make something like Lost in Nightmares you mean a shitty boss fight, an absolutely mind numbingly dumb puzzle sequence with some decent atmosphere thrown in?

It was a fun piece of DLC that was a breath of fresh air in comparison to what we got in RE5, but at the end of the day I don't want it being used as a base for RE6 in any way.

I'm talking from a purely thematic perspective. I really like the combination of 4/5's "new" gameplay with the claustrophobic corridors and singular but very tough enemies hunting you. I'd love to play a game like this where you're constantly hunted while you try and navigate and find supplies using musical cues to indicate how close an enemy is. Conceptually the scenario was fantasic, and the setting and atmosphere was top notch. I enjoyed it far more than the main game.

I say it all the time that despite all of my criticisms of biohazard 5 (I could go on for hours on every little thing it did wrong), but I still think it's a great game and I had quite a bit of fun with it. The gameplay and mechanics are solid as they ever were in 4, but the creativity in the scenario and design took a huge hit. The only things it added to the formula was forced co-op and an atrocious rail shooter level that culminates in the wost boss fight in the series' history. Everything else about the game was taken wholesale from 4, just not done quite as well. They have talented programmers and artists, but they desperately need to get a more creative and passionate people when it comes to concept and design work. Basically, they need another Mikami.

USD said:
A little bit of early RE4 made it into Lost in Nightmares. Makes me wonder if any other scrapped parts of old 4 survived.

Yeah I noticed that. It was a neat moment of realization.

Gin

please just make the game scary - how hard is that?

re5 - i just want to forget this game even exists..

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I won't be surprised if they keep going in the action game/shooter direction. Love or hate 5, it sold pretty well and they'll probably take it even further in that direction.

Resident Evil 4 -> Gears of War -> Resident Evil 6

Zep

Banned
RE6 Checklist:

1. This

2. Co-op gaming w/ mic support that might give away position(oh yea!)

3. Kick ass typewriter music

4. Happiness

Ushojax said:
I think the exact opposite. The series needs to stop giving a shit about the laughable plot and characters from previous entries and focus on doing what RE4 did, a fresh scenario with some new ideas. By all means feature one or two characters from previous games, but don't get dragged down by the established fiction the way RE5 did.

I would also support something like that. The series lore was beyond convoluted by the time RE:CV came about. RE4 saved the series from itself.

but srsly wheres sherry

-Pyromaniac- said:
The factual fact is that Leon > every other character. Then comes Jill and Claire.

This is the truth, despite his strange obsession with a woman he met for a few hours years ago and who lied to him about basically everything. Get on match.com or something, Leon. Get a woman (or guy, whatever you're into).

No_Style said:
Correct. And RE4 had the shittiest of QTEs. The ones that suddenly appear in cutscenes and if you miss: kill you instantly.

I actually fucking loved that. The tension never let up, even during cutscenes.

Vamphuntr said:
They were more original in 4. In 5 the QTE are mostly ''Shoot'' and ''Dodge''. Fight with Krauser was a terrible use of QTE in RE 4.

And I loved that QTE scene the most of all. It actually made Krauser seem like someone you might not be able to handle.

Kuraudo said:
Well [RE0] was pretty shameful.

It was worse than shameful. It was solid but otherwise unremarkable, totally forgettable, and completely unneeded.

Snuggler said:
All I know is that the merchant better be back. I've missed you, stranger.

Only if they explain nothing at all about him. That's why he's cool.

I think the best move would be to let you play as the RE4 merchant in the next game's Mercenaries mode. That wouldn't require any explanation at all. I was very disappointed he wasn't unlockable in RE4.

Also, echoing earlier posts: File #3 please!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Night_Trekker said:
I actually fucking loved that. The tension never let up, even during cutscenes.

I think 4 actually had the BEST QTEs ever, in addition to being one of the first to do it. They weren't these ridiculously protracted affairs where you're too busy staring at button prompts to watch the cool shit happen, nor was there much punishment for failing them. You just start over usually immediately prior to the cutscene and an additional death mark on your score. They were quick and easy to react to and kept you paying attention to the cutscenes.

luka said:
I think 4 actually had the BEST QTEs ever, in addition to being one of the first to do it. They weren't these ridiculously protracted affairs where you're too busy staring at button prompts to watch the cool shit happen, nor was there much punishment for failing them. You just start over usually immediately prior to the cutscene and an additional death mark on your score. They were quick and easy to react to and kept you paying attention to the cutscenes.

Exactly. And some of the most jaw-dropping moments in the game happened when you failed an unexpected QTE.

I actually think the Wii version of RE4, which is otherwise the superior, definitive version of the game, removes a bit of the tension that using a traditional controller added. There were several different buttons to press and you never knew which combination was going to come up. It was frustrating, but it kept you paying attention and on edge.

Also, what the hell is with all of this "QTEs like God of War" stuff? QTEs started in Shenmue, people! I won't let the world forget that game :(

Puddles

Banned
I hate how people think it can be a shooter, OR it can be a horror game.

Why can't a shooter be terrifying?

Just give it a morbid gothic setting (no daylit African villages), make the enemy designs suitably unnerving, give it creepy music like the early games had, throw in more giant bosses, add chase sections with enemies who can easily kill you, throw in sections where you're ammo-constrained, add traps, and presto, you have a game that should satisfy the shooter crowd and the fans of RE1-CV.

A return to zombies would be alright as long as they ran like they often did in Darkside Chronicles, or if the developers did something else to mix the stale formula up (see: Crimson Heads). RE had just become too predictable before 4, and predictable isn't scary.

I would welcome another traditional game on the level of REmake, though. I might actually die of joy if they ever announce RE2make.

USD

Night_Trekker said:
I think the best move would be to let you play as the RE4 merchant in the next game's Mercenaries mode. That wouldn't require any explanation at all. I was very disappointed he wasn't unlockable in RE4.
That's the most awesome idea ever. Begging for shit from your partner would be awesome. :lol

AN HERB... I'LL BUY IT AT A HIGH PRICE

Puddles said:
I hate how people think it can be a shooter, OR it can be a horror game.

Why can't a shooter be terrifying?

Just give it a morbid gothic setting (no daylit African villages), make the enemy designs suitably unnerving, give it creepy music like the early games had, throw in more giant bosses, add chase sections with enemies who can easily kill you, throw in sections where you're ammo-constrained, add traps, and presto, you have a game that should satisfy the shooter crowd and the fans of RE1-CV.

Honestly, 5 sold the most, it'll probably be more in that vein.

I'd enjoy seeing a return to Survival Horror, like a mixture of 4 and 2, where it's a new character in a different scenario, maybe with Day and Night cycles.

I think the familiarity of a city-based campaign would be a bit more interesting. Of course, I'd like to see some elements of the S.D. Perry books make it into the series, but that'll never happen.

refreshZ

I hated RE5, loved RE4. I'm also a firm advocate of the "survival horror" reboot theory.

You know what I loved? Creeping around some decrepid mansion or farm or wood or wherever and coming across a shack/room with a typewriter and massive fucking box to put my shit in. It was the music, obviously. But the way it evoked the sheer danger around you and the warm safety of the outpost was peerless. Sure the mechanic is ancient but it was satisfying as hell. Combining herbs? Satisfying as hell. Upgrading your guns? Satisfying as hell. Purchasing new ones from a creepy misplaced merchant? Satisfying as hell. Chuck in some puzzles. Add some run & gun to the RE4 mechanics and you have everything you need for a worthy reboot/sequel.

For the love of God give me my survival horror back.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
refreshZ said:
I hated RE5, loved RE4. I'm also a firm advocate of the "survival horror" reboot theory.

You know what I loved? Creeping around some decrepid mansion or farm or wood or wherever and coming across a shack/room with a typewriter and massive fucking box to put my shit in. It was the music, obviously. But the way it evoked the sheer danger around you and the warm safety of the outpost was peerless. Sure the mechanic is ancient but it was satisfying as hell. Combining herbs? Satisfying as hell. Upgrading your guns? Satisfying as hell. Purchasing new ones from a creepy misplaced merchant? Satisfying as hell. Chuck in some puzzles. Add some run & gun to the RE4 mechanics and you have everything you need for a worthy reboot/sequel.

For the love of God give me my survival horror back.

You had me until "run & gun."

Move while aming/shooting like in Dead Space.
Zombies!
A main character that is not on steroids.

They have that and consider me hyped.

XPE

I don’t want something that’s long for the sake of being long, but the length of re5 campaign was a joke compared to 4.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'd love for it to be set during another city-wide outbreak again ala Raccoon City. I could have sworn the producers mentioned London and Tokyo.

Flakster99

I loved RE4. My game of the previous generation, dozens of playthroughs etc etc etc.
I also enjoyed RE5, less than RE4 but that doesn't bother me one bit. Looking forward to RE5's Move patch.

Reboot or no reboot, zombies or no zombies, camp or not-so-campy, I'm very interested where they take the series from here on out.

Davey Cakes

Puddles said:
I'd be down with bringing back Crimson Heads. The game also needs some really scary enemies like Lisa.
Crimson Heads, Lisa, dark hallways, zombies crashing through windows (i.e. jump scares); REmake had so many awesome horror elements in it. I'd love to see Capcom take some of REmake's achievements and carry them over into the next game.

You could say that RE0 did that, and I actually admit that I enjoyed RE0 (maybe even as much as RE5, honestly), but this isn't exactly what I mean. RE4 was an action/horror game through and through, but it had remnants of past RE games, mostly in the departments of atmosphere and tension. It served as great potential for mixing old and new while still evolving the series, and I think the balance it was beginning to create was squandered with RE5, which, in my opinion, took things in the wrong direction.

USD

If there's coop in 6, (and chances are there will be), I secretly hope it's more like RE0, only with live coop. In 5 your constantly together, at most separated by a high wall or a small chasm. It would be fun to actually have to split up and complete separate objectives at the same time.

Concept17

CryptiK said:
Zombies and I mean real Zombies(shambling or running) or bust SERIOUSLY!
Yeah... RE4 was good, but I didn't really care for the direction they went with the story. I was more interested in how Umbrella was tied into it. They need to go back to the series roots.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Host Samurai said:
Its already out

Gears of War
Army of Two
Kane and Lynch
Uncharted

Leave that shit out of my RE games

I am a strong proponent of the anti-move & shoot crowd, but I was thinking about it and I think it would be kind of cool if they added a button that made you walk backwards while aiming at the cost of some stability. This tiny bit of additional maneuverability would be useful in taking down large enemies and wouldn't significantly change the game's balance. Really the game's persistent control scheme is what I think the only thing really keeping this series to it's roots rather than metamorphosing into a full-on action shooter, and I don't think anyone wants that.

Alex

Have good mechanics based co-op again and I'm in, dont care about anything else specificly, I enjoy it all.

Also make a new Dino Crisis.

USD said:
If there's coop in 6, (and chances are there will be), I secretly hope it's more like RE0, only with live coop. In 5 your constantly together, at most separated by a high wall or a small chasm. It would be fun to actually have to split up and complete separate objectives at the same time.

YES. I'd much rather have both players separated for the majority of the game, only reuniting for big battles and boss fights.

Adam J.

I just hope that RE6 has better single-player than RE5. They should take a cue from Lara Croft: Guardian of Light and design the game so that one play-mode doesn't feel gimped compared to the other.

Jerk

Banned
Host Samurai said:
Its already out

Gears of War
Army of Two
Kane and Lynch
Uncharted

Leave that shit out of my RE games

This is funny because I rarely ever find myself moving+shooting in those games (especially on the harder difficulties).

I did tons of it in Dead Space though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom