• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

so 'tweak the controls and they're good' people... maybe some pointers would be nice. what should i be looking to tweak? what settings did you find good? won't get a chance to play this for a bit, but it'd be nice to go right in with nice controls.

Dereck

Exactly my situation and I not chancing it or the the console getting knocked off live. That's what my release day mulitple RROD sent back and now towel baked and xclamped and last legs console is for haha.
That's scary, I played for 5 minutes but the thought of my XBOX being potentially banned is irking.

The whole "enemies don't react to bullets" thing worries me. Does this mean one cannot put a bullet in a zombie's leg and punch it in the face?

Nemesis_

The whole "enemies don't react to bullets" thing worries me. Does this mean one cannot put a bullet in a zombie's leg and punch it in the face?

I noticed they still, sometimes, do the GRABBING KNEE AND HEAVING animation when you shoot them in the leg.

The melee is a bit weird though - it's definitely not the same but I DID notice there's a lot more variety and environmental interaction too.

It's a bit of a win/lose situation.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is simply a list of demo details and not impressions. My impression was the more I played it, the more I liked it, some stuff that sounded stupid on paper is actually a lot of fun. I think it's going to polarize people though, as it's actually very different from RE4 and RE5, a lot more so than I was expecting.

-The demo seems to be set on Easy difficulty which unfortunately cannot be changed.
-Blue Medallions are back. They look a bit different but make the same noise. Found one in Jake's scenario.
-Instead of money, you collect Skill Points. No idea exactly what these do, but collecting treasures ala RE4 or RE5 give you Skill Points as well.
-You can change your gun to either a square crosshair or the classic laser.
-Laser color can be changed to Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, or Purple.
-Pressing down the right stick on the 360 controller made it so the character switched which hand they used their gun with. In RE5, Sheva and Chris used opposite hands and were on different sides of the screen. In this game, pressing a button will switch which hand you use and which side of the screen your character is on.
-There is a melee attack button now. On the 360 controller, it is the right trigger when you have no weapon pulled. Leon kicks, Chris punches. Different characters seem to have different strength of melees, and they essentially replace the knife.
-Speaking of the knife, some characters have it but like the old RE games it is used as a inventory item and weapon slot.
-Jake has an expanded form of melee, where one of his equitable weapons is called, 'First-To-Fist', which makes him attack things with his Wesker-esque moves. Actually a lot of fun to use.
-Sherry doesn't use her fist, but does have a melee weapon in the form of a Stun Rod. She uses it differently, but is more gymnastic with it.
-Both the fist and the stun rod are weaker than a gun, but essentially you use them to 'stun' enemies and get them into a lock of stun as you rag out on them.
-Green and Red Herbs are in the game, but combining them give you pills rather than mixed herbs.
-Characters have 'blocks' of health. You do recharge health, but never past the current block your own. There's several blocks (I believe 6-7) and if you for instance get to 2 and a half blocks, it'll recharge to 3 blocks but not past that,
-Pills are used with the 360 Controller RB button. Pressing it once provides one pill, while pressing it more than once in succession will make you pull out multiple pills to swallow in one gulp. One pill equals one block of health restored.
-On the 360 controller, you press and hold the L button by walls to use it as cover.
-While dashing and holding A, you'll automatically jump over low walls.
-Amusingly, the game has different animations for low walls you can't jump over. They may either grab it to stop themselves, or against a gate will grab the gate to.
-The game actually has a lot of interactive stuff. Characters interact with their surroundings, from running into things, running over things, changes in lighting, and more. Lots of small details in how they react.
-The J'Avos do seem pretty well randomized. Who bursts and who doesn't isn't set to always be the same enemies, and may or may not happen in several situations
-AI on both the enemies and your partner are improved.
-In Chris's section, you have several AI squad mates that join you and your partner. They shoot things but can't be killed and are only part in a few sections. They cannot die but will react to damage and can be downed for a bit. I had fun tossing grenades at them.
-Zombies seem to soak a lot more bullets than regular J'Avos do, but J'Avos who transform seem to soak more than Zombies do.
-That is unless you know where to hit enemies. Getting head shots on zombies seem harder now. On transformed J'Avos their weakpoints often change location, but have a visual clue. One example is that Flying J'Avos it's natural to hit the flying part like a Plagas, but actually it is better to hit their hanging body and their 'human' head, not the insect-like head.
-I recommend setting where you aim under options to camera, not player. The player one messed me up a lot, I say this as I was having difficulty with this option since I had it turned the other way around.
-You can turn off the destination markero n the menu, but this also makes the HUD disappear.
-When you're downed, you can still crawl on the ground and shoot enemies, just slowly.
-While you have your gun out, on the 360 controller pressing A+forward will make you do a short slide and put you on the ground on your back.
-While having your weapon pulled out, pressing A+down will result in a back flip that slides you a bit backwards.
-You can do a slide kick that trips some enemies by running and then quickly pressing L+A at the same time, but this has longer recovery time.
-Pressing L+R at the same time makes you do a 'quick shot'. It has a different animation and fires a single quick shot from your gun, like a secondary fire.
-Annoyingly each time you use a Grenade you need to select your grenade. After using one it goes back to the last weapon you had pulled out.
-An interesting added feature. While I haven't found and don't believe there are voice commands in the demo, at 'partner doors' you can press B to spam messages to your partner like in RE5. However, in this game they'l lstart off by speaking quietly but if they take a few seconds the characters at the door will then start yelling while you mash the B button. First few times you press it you'll say it quietly, but then after a few times they'll start yelling.
-The sensitivity in this game is very fragile and changing it can make big differences in your playign style. The fastest is really fast, the slowest is really slow. Adjust to find your liking for camera and aiming speed.
-You can turn the camera completely around your character now.
-Ustanak grabbing you in the mini-boss battle seems to be only freeable by your partner (though it does deliver damage the longer you're in it as he keeps sticking needles in you). This is different to most enemies n RE6, where you can free yourself (though friends can help).
-Each inventory and options screen is different in all three campaigns. Each have two screens, one for instant change so you can quickly go through your inventory and select what you need, and another larger one to combine things and view everything you have and such.
-There seems to be no way to pause in the game. you do have a pause menu, but the game doesn't actually pause.

Ninjimbo

Thanks for those impressions Golem. I'm a little more optimistic now. Looks like I'll have to manage my expectations going forward.

That damn screen tearing is everywhere! This is worse than the Xbox 360 version of RE5. I can live with jaggies and pop-in but screen tearing can ruin a game for me. I absolutely hate this!

Sojgat

There were lots of little things that could easily fixed with more polish, but the only major problems I had with the Demo were the lack of feedback from weapons fire and the awful amount of screen tearing. If each campaign is of a good length and doesn't recycle areas too much this game could still be very good. This is going to be multi disk on 360 I'm guessing?

iavi

So is the engine halfassed? Are they reusing re5 engine or is it new?

MT Framework; so, the same engine 5 used, but a different revision with futher enhancements (?) I actually think what I've seen of 6 looks worse than 5, graphically.

I thought it was fine. It's obviously struggling a bit on ageing tech, but otherwise it seemed like a decent Resi game. They've somehow made it look prettier in some aspects and uglier in others. At first glance, Resi 5 edges it on looks easily, but after a few minutes it becomes quite obvious that there are some cool things going on graphics-wise. Plus the environments feel more realistic and interactive. However, jaggies and tearing are very apparent as a result of this increased detail, and that's why it looks "worse" than Resi 5.

Sure, it borrows more from 5 than I would've preferred, but I thought Leon's campaign had potential, and Chris' could be a good military shooter. Not sure what to make of the other guy because it's just a boss fight.

They're certainly three distinct campaigns, though - the differences between Chris and Leon's demos almost makes them seem like different games. Which is cool.

It does have some "Resi Problems", though. The camera is very restrictive and annoying at times. Pressing A to climb up and down small ledges is VERY irksome, particularly in Chris' demo which is relatively action-packed.

Perma co-op. My biggest complaint about Resi 5. It's back, and it's even more annoying. Having to wait for your partner before you can open a door or move an obstacle is infuriating - and the demos are only five minutes a piece. If you like to make steady progress in your games, this is going to slow you down and annoy the hell out of you.

Overall, though, still hyped. Too much negativity here!

Dusk Golem

so 'tweak the controls and they're good' people... maybe some pointers would be nice. what should i be looking to tweak? what settings did you find good? won't get a chance to play this for a bit, but it'd be nice to go right in with nice controls.

Running through the options quickly, here's what everything I noticed does:

AIMING: Default makes it where when you pull out your gun, you use Right Stick to aim and left stick to move. Classic is opposite. I found personally that Classic was more comfortable to me.

AIMING RETICLE: Default is a square crosshair, classic is the laser.

DOMINANT HAND: Changes whenever you automatically go in and out of your 'safe' position in cover when you pull your gun out, or if you change positions manually.

RELOAD: Changes whenever you reload after a clip automatically or have to do it manually.

Sure you know all about inverting Y and X axis with camera and aiming.

AIMING/CAMERA SPEED: The speed on the gun and camera are at their highest at default. The difference is huge between 10 (fastest) and 1 (slowest). Change the settings for camera and aiming speed until you find one you like. This does wonders.

AIMING DIRECTION: I really recommend you set this one to camera. With camera when you pull out your gun you'll pull it out to where your camera is pointed. If you do player, it'll pull out your gun where the player model is pointed, which can be disorienting as your character may pull it in a completely different direction than you're facing.

DASH CAMERA REST: When you dash with the A button, the camera will either be set so you get a lowered more on eye-level view (a bit from below so you can see above a bit), or a centered view (centers the camera behind you).

Subtitles, Gamertag display, HUD position, and laser & pointer color should all be obvious.

ICON DISPLAY: this turns on and off icons you see on your screen. I hope they separate this as this turns off Destination markers, but also your HUD (though it is kind of nice being able to play with no interface what-so-ever)

The ones that will do wonders for your gaming experience: Aiming, Aiming/Camera Speed, Aiming Direction, Dash Camera Reset, Icon Display (this one doesn't change controls/speed, I just hate the destination marker)

Also experiment with buttons though to learn all you can do, and just take a bit of time to get familiar with the controls.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
A lot of my issues would be resolved by pulling the camera back. It's very easy to get disoriented.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
so download all rar files, download/install horizon on usb, create fold on horizon/place all rar files

done? new to this.

MMaRsu

Banned
Cool I'll download the demo from the RS link, thanks guys. Gaf always comes through :).

And nobody is going to get banned, stop spreading nonsense please!

Oh, one more thing: You can't pause. That's annoying. I accepted it in Dark Souls. I can't accept it in this. Or any other game.

Elginer

Leon's part was too damn shallow and short.
Chris's was dudebro out the ass, but I loved it for it. Also he's not a washed up jerkass which made me like him even more.
The scene at the bar LULZ
Jake's was fun but also kind of short.

Felt the controls were also too lose and it was a screen tear fiesta. All in all looks like a fun "interactive movie" to play with friends. Certainly not that much of a game. To many damn QTE for my liking but I guess that's what Capcom thinks the West wants.
:(

Loving it so far. Really liked the atmosphere in the Leon section, was definitely completely missing from RE5. Screen tearing is my only negative for now. No issues with the controls or anything else whatsoever. Maybe I'm easy to please. If so, I count that as a blessing.

LiK

Loving it so far. Really liked the atmosphere in the Leon section, was definitely completely missing from RE5. Screen tearing is my only negative for now. No issues with the controls or anything else whatsoever. Maybe I'm easy to please. If so, I count that as a blessing.

C-c-c-c-combo breaker!

C-c-c-c-combo breaker!

If they can iron out some of the technical problems like screen tearing and sluggish framerate especially when aiming, I really wouldn't have much else to complain/nitpick about. I really like it, much more than RE5 for sure.

Dusk Golem

Felt the controls were also too lose and it was a screen tear fiesta. All in all looks like a fun "interactive movie" to play with friends. Certainly not that much of a game. To many damn QTE for my liking but I guess that's what Capcom thinks the West wants.
:(

A lot of QTEs? I only saw two QTEs, niehter of which were really that bad or long, and that was when you meet the first zombie in the elevator with Leon and Helena, and as Chris when you cross the pipes by pressing X. I know there's a QTE if you get grabbed, but I wasn't really getting grabbed except once by a zombie...

I can relate on the controls feeling floaty at first, but you get used to it and can adjust it to make it much more 'firm' by changing the camera and aiming speed in the options menu. The characters movement is just adjustment though. I also don't get the interactive movie thing since... Well you are in control during most of it. Flashy things happen but I was actually impressed by how much of it you were in control of. However, things I found go to smoothly since there is only one (easy) difficulty so the enemies didn't present much of a challenge to me (used to play RE4 and RE5 on the harder difficulties).

I don't mean to say you have to like it, but I wanted to comment since I can already tell this game is going to have a lot of misconceptions all the way to release since I can see people mistakening things and then writing it off as fact without really looking into it or realizing not everything about this game is immediately obvious. I only found out about more advanced maneuvers, the secondary fire, how to use the controls properly, and the likes by experimenting with a partner. I think a lot of people are trying to play this a bit to similarly like RE4 or RE5 and run into difficulties, since that's initially what my problem was. It felt so much sloppier and janky at first, until I got used to it and realized not to play it like RE4 or 5.

Slayven

Only thing that stands out is having to press a button to do shit that should be intuitive. Like climbing over stuff. Hated it.

Alpha_eX

Where's the discussion thread, seem to have wandered into the "PM Please, how do I download / install" thread.

Don't waste your time downloading, not worth the effort. Just watch a video if you're curious, save yourself a lot of hassle.

todahawk

A lot of QTEs? I only saw two QTEs, niehter of which were really that bad or long, and that was when you meet the first zombie in the elevator with Leon and Helena, and as Chris when you cross the pipes by pressing X. I know there's a QTE if you get grabbed, but I wasn't really getting grabbed except once by a zombie...

I can relate on the controls feeling floaty at first, but you get used to it and can adjust it to make it much more 'firm' by changing the camera and aiming speed in the options menu. The characters movement is just adjustment though. I also don't get the interactive movie thing since... Well you are in control during most of it. Flashy things happen but I was actually impressed by how much of it you were in control of. However, things I found go to smoothly since there is only one (easy) difficulty so the enemies didn't present much of a challenge to me (used to play RE4 and RE5 on the harder difficulties).

I don't mean to say you have to like it, but I wanted to comment since I can already tell this game is going to have a lot of misconceptions all the way to release since I can see people mistakening things and then writing it off as fact without really looking into it or realizing not everything about this game is immediately obvious. I only found out about more advanced maneuvers, the secondary fire, how to use the controls properly, and the likes by experimenting with a partner. I think a lot of people are trying to play this a bit to similarly like RE4 or RE5 and run into difficulties, since that's initially what my problem was. It felt so much sloppier and janky at first, until I got used to it and realized not to play it like RE4 or 5.

great feedback thanks.
It makes sense as I've been doing a lot of heavy RE5 co-op and last night fired up RE4 and it felt completely off for the first few minutes as I readjusted. By the end of the session the controls and everything felt 'normal' again.

Top Bottom