• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

RedSwirl

MT Framework; so, the same engine 5 used, but a different revision with futher enhancements (?) I actually think what I've seen of 6 looks worse than 5, graphically.

RE5 ran on MT Framework 1.4. RE6 might actually be MT Framework 3 but they haven't said. they last game Capcom gave that information on was MvC3 which ran on 2.1.

GJS

Injected the demo using USBXTAFGUI first, results in my 360 locking up on a black screen. Trying Horizon now.

Alpha_eX

I don't remember fighting any Zombies, looked like I was fighting the cast of The Warrirors who have all been given machine guns and the worst accuracy training in the world.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Someone finally told me how to do voice commands in the game!

Hold B and it'll target your partner. You can then press LB or RB to either thank or praise them, and use the D-Pad to say things like, 'Wait', 'go', 'follow', etc.

RedSwirl

https://rapidshare.com/files/4234368346/resi_evil_6-xpg-xpghax.rar

Put this on your xbox360 usb stick

Folder structure needed

content/0000000000000000/4343882D/00080000/60CBBE264CC205195AD91592D44756A2B3BD2C2343

Use modio/horizon/360revolution or usb xtaf gui.

Horizon is probably the easiest since you don't need to know anything about the folder structure stuff and just put it inside the demo folder.

Downloading alr1ghtstart's links. So I can put the demo from those links into that folder structure and burn it on a DVD?

Running through the options quickly, here's what everything I noticed does:

AIMING: Default makes it where when you pull out your gun, you use Right Stick to aim and left stick to move. Classic is opposite. I found personally that Classic was more comfortable to me.

AIMING RETICLE: Default is a square crosshair, classic is the laser.

DOMINANT HAND: Changes whenever you automatically go in and out of your 'safe' position in cover when you pull your gun out, or if you change positions manually.

RELOAD: Changes whenever you reload after a clip automatically or have to do it manually.

Sure you know all about inverting Y and X axis with camera and aiming.

AIMING/CAMERA SPEED: The speed on the gun and camera are at their highest at default. The difference is huge between 10 (fastest) and 1 (slowest). Change the settings for camera and aiming speed until you find one you like. This does wonders.

AIMING DIRECTION: I really recommend you set this one to camera. With camera when you pull out your gun you'll pull it out to where your camera is pointed. If you do player, it'll pull out your gun where the player model is pointed, which can be disorienting as your character may pull it in a completely different direction than you're facing.

DASH CAMERA REST: When you dash with the A button, the camera will either be set so you get a lowered more on eye-level view (a bit from below so you can see above a bit), or a centered view (centers the camera behind you).

Subtitles, Gamertag display, HUD position, and laser & pointer color should all be obvious.

ICON DISPLAY: this turns on and off icons you see on your screen. I hope they separate this as this turns off Destination markers, but also your HUD (though it is kind of nice being able to play with no interface what-so-ever)

The ones that will do wonders for your gaming experience: Aiming, Aiming/Camera Speed, Aiming Direction, Dash Camera Reset, Icon Display (this one doesn't change controls/speed, I just hate the destination marker)

Also experiment with buttons though to learn all you can do, and just take a bit of time to get familiar with the controls.

to people with constant tearing, have you tried setting the dashboard to 720p instead of 1080p? that often helped with framework engine games in the past.

Awful demo!

- clunky controls
- camera makes me dizzy
- weak gun effects
- horrible screen tearing

Capcom, what are you doing?!

to people with constant tearing, have you tried setting the dashboard to 720p instead of 1080p? that often helped with framework engine games in the past.

I've tried this and it makes no difference. Tearing is still there in 720p.

That's a myth. I get minimal screen tearing at 1080p with Dragon's Dogma and the rest of the MT Framework games on 360. The RE6 demo just isn't optimized.

Sojgat

That's a myth. I get minimal screen tearing at 1080p with Dragon's Dogma and the rest of the MT Framework games on 360. The RE6 demo just isn't optimized.

It's not, I found RE5's tearing unbearable until I switched it down to 720p. Same trick doesn't work with the RE6 demo though.

Not as bad as I feared it would be.

The camera is fucking AWFUL though. It's ridiculous that devs can even still implement cameras this terribly.

The tearing was incredibly distracting.

With some optimization and a lot of polish on the camera controls, this game could be great.

also, animations didn't seem quite as bad as the videos made them seem.

Yeah, changing to 720p cleared up the tearing problems I had with RE5. It was a real pain actually as I was playing alot of FIFA at the time which stuttered on 720p so I was constantly switching to 1080p in the dashboard every time I wanted to play the other game...

Edit - I think I had the same problem with Lost Planet 2 also.

Downloading alr1ghtstart's links. So I can put the demo from those links into that folder structure and burn it on a DVD?

You just need to create the folder Content, than put in the unpacked file (0000000000000000/4343882D/00080000/60CBBE264CC205195AD91592D44756A2B3BD2C2343)

In short: Yes, it works!

I play all my games in 1080p via HDMI - I played the demo at 720p via Component and the tearing was the same to me, it's also apparent in scenes. Pretty sure this will get ironed out by release (hopefully).

rvy

Banned
What's with the tearing, Jesus. Chris seems like Gears of War x Binary Domain, or something. Will try the others later.

KageMaru

I play all my games in 1080p via HDMI - I played the demo at 720p via Component and the tearing was the same to me, it's also apparent in scenes. Pretty sure this will get ironed out by release (hopefully).

Not sure how it is with recent MT Framework games, but earlier games exhibited more tearing when displayed at 1080p. One possibility could be the tearing was pushed to the upper boundaries of the frame, possibly in the overscan area of most TVs when the console is set to 720p. When scaled to 1080p, that part of the frame is no longer in the overscan area, so you see the tearing.

I could be entirely off on all of this, but at least in the past, tearing was effected based on the resolution you picked.

OK I have sunk in almost 3 hours into this demo so lets get right to it. Leon's demo is so boring, in the actual game I am sure it will work great as it is very atmospheric, almost old school RE. The camera was moving around too fast so I adjusted that. It is a bit too close to the character but i got used to it. Normal classic third person controls in RE is kind of weird but I played enough games like this for it to work but the close camera mixed with this control scheme does make things a tad bit hectic.

The graphics are generally gorgeous but small objects on tables and such look really simple, like blocky cups. Screen tearing everywhere in this demo, hopefully fixed for release. So I move through the boring slow opening Leon section and finally get to the part with the girl where I notice how cinematic the camera is. There are moments where the camera shakes, or zooms in or out to give you one hell of a cinematic view, this could work very well. I noticed how current gen this game is with its slick hud and that radar cell phone mode, feels like Batman, splinter cell, ass creed, basically every game this gen. The item screen is different, seems like limited inventory is a thing of the past, booo but everything is easy to navigate.

Once the zombies came and I could shoot I noticed how loose the aiming was. My shots clearly dont have the same impact they do in RE4 or RE5. I shoot zombies in the leg and they sort of simply absorb the bullet. Shoot them in the head and a chunk of their skull comes off but they slowly die, so slow that I thought I had to keep shooting them. The melee works well as it is not context sensitive so you can use it a lot more and damn is it effective. Leon's action is over before it even begins so I couldn't get into it much.

Chris' demo is where the action is at. Here enemies with guns are constantly shooting at you but dont worry you are bulletproof it seems. i hope the difficulty is in super easy mode cause there is no need to take cover, which is nice cause cover in a RE game is stupid, still I want a challenge. Here the enemies mutate into flying guys or big armed dudes. A mix of shooting and melee make quick work of them, I started to use dodge a bit more as well. It all seemed a bit sloppy to me, just a lot of shooting.

Then I tried Jake and wow is he cool. It starts with a cinematic run, I hope the game has segments like this where a little more control is needed, platforming in RE would be cool. Jake as an option for fists so I chose that and went at bad dudes Wesker style, so awesome. This demo has a boss battle, a classic red barrels around the room you lead the big giant dude into them boss fight. Amazing effects going on here as the roof is collapsing, the barrels explode really nice and the big monster has some great animation.

I started to try the other characters out, Piers in particular is fantastic cause he gets totally different guns than chris. One is a sniper rifle with thermal mode, this comes into play when he gets separated from Chris and you have to cover for him. His machine gun as different fire modes which is nice. As a played as Piers it felt the closest to RE4/5. I tried Sherry as well and damn is she quick and badass, this girl went through some training. Oh and I switched to classic laser sight mode, huge improvement.

After many playthroughs everything just clicked, this is NOT just a RE like shooter. The dodge and melee attacks change the action dynamics completely. It wasn't until I was diving all over the place and running meleeing, and shooting that it all became amazing. This is like Vanquish meet RE meet god hand and it is AWESOME!! When enemies come out run full speed at one, smash him in the head, dive roll around and shoot the next guy, get up roll back, get a punch in dive around again, shoot a barrel, dive back throw a grenade. That is how the game is meant to be played, the action is fantastic!

I was worried at first but now that I see the light I am super excited. The core gameplay mechanics are there for something really special, now it is up to the game design to live up to the last two games.

Mupod

The new melee system is pretty neat. I spent a lot of time as Chris just doing running melee attacks and falcon punching dudes.

Game feels pretty janky, RE5's demo was much more polished. Graphical glitches and tearing everywhere, awkward movement etc. Also I'm a fan of Dead Space but that doesn't mean I wanted RE6 to BE dead space. I guess all the 'WHY CAN'T I SHOOT AND MOVE' complainers will be happy now though. Health system is okay, I guess...at least it's not fully regenerating health. If they're gonna constantly put you up against enemies with guns then the regen + health blocks system makes sense.

Leon's section didn't really have much in it...following around slow NPCs, linear pathway with clearly marked destinations and locked doors everywhere else. At least there were zombies though.

Chris' section was Gears of War 3.

Gary Stu's section was the most interesting and if Not Nemesis chases you around the whole game that'd be really cool. I sucked too much to time the dodge to avoid his long range claw though, maybe next time.

In all it's a fun shooter with some interesting new movement/melee mechanics but the people who spent the last few years hating on RE5 will have a big fat new target for their outrage.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is there split-screen co-op like in RE5?
In case there is, are the gfx sacrificed in any way and is the screen set-up a la RE5/COD:MW2?

Put the folder in the unpacked file, or put the file in the unpacked folder? And then burn it?

1. Download all the rar files
2. Unpack them ... now you get the folder "0000000000000000"
3. Create the folder "Content"
4. Open the folder "Content"
5. Now put in the folder "0000000000000000"
6. Burn it.
7. Enjoy.

1. Download all the rar files
2. Unpack them ... now you get the folder "0000000000000000"
3. Create the folder "Content"
4. Open the folder "Content"
5. Now put in the folder "0000000000000000"
6. Burn it.
7. Enjoy.

Just another note...

If you see Mixed Media Disc, that's not a problem.

You're supposed to execute the game from the "Games List" tab.

(Saw a few people that came across this, thought it'd help?)

Vamphuntr

After sleeping a bit I retried it and I have to say my opinion is still the same. It could be good if they improve the aiming and tweak enemies feedback.

Unless they fix the FOV I don't think I'll be there day one. The camera is way to close and it's worse when you aim. I don't find the shooting satisfying at all. RE5 clicked with me right off the bat with its demo but here I'm not feeling it.

Anth0ny

So I just finished Leon's demo.

Yeah.

That was bad. I tinkered with the controls as much as I could, and it still don't feel as right as RE4, or even RE5.

Why can't I run? Why do I have to follow this slow asshole? Why is said slow asshole leading the way for Leon motherfucking Kennedy?

Luckily, Leon's demo wasn't as dudebrotastic as the on-stage E3 demo implied. The atmosphere was definitely old school RE to a degree. However, you can tell Capcom is going for the AAA blockbuster "feel" with this game, and that's only from Leon's demo. I'm afraid to see how far they go with Chris and Jake. The Revelaitons demo did a better job selling me on a new RE game.

Also, everyone is getting the screen tearing? Brutal.

GJS

Felt similar to RE5 to me, just with more freedom in moving, and using melee attacks.

You can play through most of the demo just by sprinting into enemies and using melee attacks.

Ran into a few bugs with the aiming as I had switched to laser sight. It would occasionally switch to a floaty reticle that was moving all over the screen in odd ways, unsynchronised with the gun.

Only thing that stands out is having to press a button to do shit that should be intuitive. Like climbing over stuff. Hated it.
If you sprint it does it all automatically.

Dusk Golems right, I cranked aiming speed to maximum and camera speed to 8, kept the reticle as normal and noticed a dramatic improvement in the feel of the game.

Also, melee is really interesting, and the new cover mechanic works well too. The way that it blurs out the background when you're safe makes it so you really have to pick your moment to peek out, I love it.

Edit: Also, is there any way to swap items with partners? It seems that all ammo and items are for one player o the other only. My AI partner seemed invincible and didn't pick up a single item/

Also, skill points seem to replace item pickups if the game determines that you have enough health and ammo, interesting way to determine skill.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
terrible camera is terrible

N5dqw.jpg

7Nx3k.jpg

1zn0o.jpg

9tqcE.jpg

mxgt

Banned
So I played the Leon demo

jags.gif

Is that it? I followed a couple of slow people (why exactly is Leon following? shouldn't he be ahead?) around for 15 mins and shot like 2 zombies?

Anth0ny

Just finished Chris' demo.

WOAH

I didn't even tinker with the settings because I knew no amount of tinkering would get me even remotely close to an experience resembling Resident Evil.

It was fun. Unlike Leon's boring, slow, bad controlling demo, Chris' was just balls to the walls crazy. Zombies/ganado/whateverthefucks everywhere, explosions, machine guns... it's not Resident Evil. But whatever it was, I enjoyed it. Mainly because of the melee attacks. Unlike RE4 and 5, you don't need to shoot an enemy and hit A while near them during a time window to unleash a
FALCON
punch or kick. You just mash RT, and you're whooping some ass. I approve.

amar212

Can I just format the USB drive on Xbox and than transfer the file directly somehow?

I have Mac so I don't have any Horizon or similar programs?

Thanx in adv!

Mupod

Can I just format the USB drive on Xbox and than transfer the file directly somehow?

Thanx in adv!

Didn't work for me. Said the drive was full when I tried.

Maybe try burning it to a blank DVD? Not sure if anyone has tried that yet.

Thanx in adv!

no way to i dont think. had to use boot camp and horizon to get the demo on my 360 formatted flash drive. worked like a charm though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This game is really weird...it's very diiferent from RE4 and 5 first and foremost. I adore 4 and still thought 5 was great, but I need to play the demo more to decide how I feel about this.

Leon - His demo segment is pretty bad. Nothing happens, you can't run for a lot of it for some reason, and from what I explored I didn't actually find anything hidden. There's a very small combat segment at the end and there was already some cases of me shooting some zombies that might have been dead but haven't fallen yet, I couldn't really tell. It's not going to be very fun to replay.

Chris - 100% action slice. I found the combat to be VERY hard to follow here, people were firing guns around me and I couldn't tell where they were at. I was running into a lot of ammo issues and kept running out, the flying enemies soak bullets and don't react at all. There's a straight up melee button and it can keep being hit to beat the shit out of people. I was barely taking damage and didn't have to take cover at all, but the demo seems to be on Easy so I can't really say how this will be in the full game.

Jake - Actually my favorite segment. You get a decent sized room to go around and can find a lot of items and the Elephant Killer. The moves you have to quickly roll, slide forward, and dive backwards actually came in handy a lot and made the fight really fun. Sherry AI was pretty dumb and stood right next to red barrels.

I need to play them more but this is how I feel after one playthrough.

General pros/cons:

+ The game looks good...
- but tears like a motherfucker. And yes I am on 720p, this actually seemed to help DD a lot but in hear it still happens a lot.

+ I like the unique HUDs for each character. Even when you pause it's different, Chris gets a wheel you move around and Jake has a phone for example.

+ The intro cutscene for Chris was interesting, seems to be taking him in a different direction.

+ Leon's jacket.

- Enemy reaction to bullets is really weird. Need to mess with this more but it didn't feel right. I also noticed shooting someone then running up to melee them had a delay for the run to kick in.

- Camera zooms in a lot when you aim, being able to tweak that would be nice.

Spending more time with it. Piers' weapons (anti material rifle) are way more interesting than Chris'. It also has me noticing that every character has a different weapon set. Jake for example has his CQC (which is incredibly deep! Charging tiger palm from cover?! SHIT!) and a standard handgun, while Sherry gets the baton which isn't as good, but her handgun has a three round burst. The more I play it the more I'm falling for this game.

Jackpot

Banned
HvvoL.png

A spoiler ridden zone that may or may not be populated as the demo comes out - look here for all kinds of stuff that our curious friends may pull / hack / gut from the demo. Everything in this section will be spoilered without fail so be AWARE.

Data mined the demo.

http://jumbofiles.com/yjfdwz6fvsd7

There's not much in there. More gameplay than plot.
Lists of attack animations, outfits, controllable vehicles, unlockable game modes. Random tidbits like enemy acid spits and "Ada" trying to kill you with a helicopter.

Top Bottom