• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

eXistor

Holy shit that was bad. Leon was just following a corridor and very slow people, with the game dictating what Leon is capable of doing in a given situation doing (auto flashlight, running etc.) The first zombie I come across is a fucking QTE? Fuck that shit. ALso lots of screen tearing and the controls feels very...janky I guess is the word.

Then Chris: shooty shooty in boring-ass environment, going up ladders, jumping over gaps shooting dudes. Repated ad nauseum.

Jake. The most RE of the bunch. I was even able to go a different direction than the game wanted me to go for about 20 seconds. Then some more shooting in grey and drab environment. I died during the boss-battle here (I was really not paying attention, I was kind of playing in disbelief at how bad this shit is) and I quickly turned my Xbox off.

That's one game I'm definitely gonna skip. So far it's been everything I feared it would be and more. Reboot this series quick, it has completely lost its way.

I'm expecting that this game will be a prime example of trying to be a jack of all trades and a master of none, they should have stuck to their guns (NPI) and left it as an action fest, RE as a survival horror title was already accepted as dead, the Leon level indicates there's no one at Capcom who understands what survival horror is.

Holy shit that was bad. Leon was just following a corridor and very slow people, with the game dictating what Leon is capable of doing in a given situation doing (auto flashlight, running etc.) The first zombie I come across is a fucking QTE? Fuck that shit. ALso lots of screen tearing and the controls feels very...janky I guess is the word.

Then Chris: shooty shooty in boring-ass environment, going up ladders, jumping over gaps shooting dudes. Repated ad nauseum.

Jake. The most RE of the bunch. I was even able to go a different direction than the game wanted me to go for about 20 seconds. Then some more shooting in grey and drab environment. I died during the boss-battle here (I was really not paying attention, I was kind of playing in disbelief at how bad this shit is) and I quickly turned my Xbox off.

That's one game I'm definitely gonna skip. So far it's been everything I feared it would be and more. Reboot this series quick, it has completely lost its way.

I disagree entirely. The short piece with Leon able to fight zombies, they were a dramatically enemy encounter than the Juavo, and the improvements to the way Chris controls make his RE5 style sections much improved. Also running around as Jake and just punching guys is great.

Vamphuntr

Data mined the demo.

http://jumbofiles.com/yjfdwz6fvsd7

There's not much in there. More gameplay than plot.
Lists of attack animations, outfits, controllable vehicles, unlockable game modes. Random tidbits like enemy acid spits and "Ada" trying to kill you with a helicopter.

From these files it seems
that Ada will be playable as she has a dedicated menu and cutscenes

seg000:000149F4 00000019 C arc\\X360\\MenuAdaResource
seg000:00014A40 0000001A C arc\\X360\\MenuJakeResource
seg000:00014A8C 0000001B C arc\\X360\\MenuChrisResource
seg000:00014AA8 0000001A C arc\\X360\\MenuLeonResource

seg000:00014EA4 0000001F C soft\\message\\mes_cutscene_tuto
seg000:00014EC4 0000001E C soft\\message\\mes_cutscene_ada
seg000:00014EE4 0000001F C soft\\message\\mes_cutscene_jake
seg000:00014F04 00000020 C soft\\message\\mes_cutscene_chris
seg000:00014F24 0000001F C soft\\message\\mes_cutscene_leon

Dacon

Banned
I had some fun with Chris' demo.

I dont think it's as bad as everyone seems to.

*shrugs*

I am much more interested in what the final game has to offer.

Played a match online and confirm there's no weapon swapping or ammo management with your partner because all that stuff is duplicated. Both players get all the ammo and health pickups.

snap0212

Only played through the Leon part but I'm not impressed at all. Walking felt horrible. I'm not sure why I can't chose how fast I want to walk. Letting me run one second while making me move really slow the other just takes me out of the experience, that wasn't fun at all. I also think that blocking away paths by putting tiny boxes in my way shouldn't happen anymore. Yeah, video game logic is stupid but it shouldn't be that stupid.

Overall, I didn't feel any tension, it wasn't scary and it was not a good action game. I hope the other parts of the demo are better. :)

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Is that it? I followed a couple of slow people (why exactly is Leon following? shouldn't he be ahead?) around for 15 mins and shot like 2 zombies?
Yeah, it was probably a very early level. I thought it was pretty atmospheric. Also lol at the guy holding the HELP ME sign. Seriously, look behind dude.

Just finished playing with my friend in coop. I didn't think it was all that great but at the same time I'm not a huge Res fan either. I thought the Chris chapter was very slow, and if his whole story line is like that then it will get very boring.

Bladenic

LOL wasn't RE6 supposed to be a reboot? Well, this is what you get HAHA.

I see this thread is filled with the same hyperbole that filled the RE5 ones. You people have no clue what you want. This demo is great. The game will be excellent just like the last one was. At least this is different, not just another 3rd person shooter that so many of you want it to be.

gconsole

I had a very bad first impression with this Demo. Very close zoom when aiming ? Character is slow and clunky as hell ? Shit I really hate it.

Then I read someone reply in here about the setting. Then I try adjust it bit by bit. I finally have camera speed at 7 and aiming speed at 8. Shit, the game dynamic is totally different. Everything is a lot more fluid than the default setting. I don't know why the developer think it's a good idea to force the player start with that slow setting. But yeah, I start to love it more and more now.

Surely many part still need polishing (especially the close camera when aim, what the fuck is in their right mind to to make it that close). But overall it's a good game. Even in a unique way. With good adjustment here and there. This game could be a lot lot better than RE5 at least.

Carbonox

From these files it seems
that Ada will be playable as she has a dedicated menu and cutscenes

seg000:000149F4 00000019 C arc\\X360\\MenuAdaResource
seg000:00014A40 0000001A C arc\\X360\\MenuJakeResource
seg000:00014A8C 0000001B C arc\\X360\\MenuChrisResource
seg000:00014AA8 0000001A C arc\\X360\\MenuLeonResource

seg000:00014EA4 0000001F C soft\\message\\mes_cutscene_tuto
seg000:00014EC4 0000001E C soft\\message\\mes_cutscene_ada
seg000:00014EE4 0000001F C soft\\message\\mes_cutscene_jake
seg000:00014F04 00000020 C soft\\message\\mes_cutscene_chris
seg000:00014F24 0000001F C soft\\message\\mes_cutscene_leon

So the rumour was true after all,
Ada gets her own playable scenario.

FUCKING YES.

Carbonox

That might just be
Mercs mode only.

I thought that but then as Vamphunter said,
she has her own dedicated menu and cutscenes. I can't see this counting for Mercs at all as IIRC characters don't get their own stuff like that in the previous ones.

Plus no one else appears to be referenced with their own stuff like that.

I had a very bad first impression with this Demo. Very close zoom when aiming ? Character is slow and clunky as hell ? Shit I really hate it.

Then I read someone reply in here about the setting. Then I try adjust it bit by bit. I finally have camera speed at 7 and aiming speed at 8. Shit, the game dynamic is totally different. Everything is a lot more fluid than the default setting. I don't know why the developer think it's a good idea to force the player start with that slow setting. But yeah, I start to love it more and more now.

Surely many part still need polishing (especially the close camera when aim, what the fuck is in their right mind to to make it that close). But overall it's a good game. Even in a unique way. With good adjustment here and there. This game could be a lot lot better than RE5 at least.

I think everybody did. What the fuck is going on with those default settings. RE5 was the same way, it played like shit until you cranked the aim speed way up.

Floex

Ok, so just finished all 3 sections

-I'll start with the good, graphically looking fantastic I thought. Impressed with the lighting coming in from the windows in Leons parliment building and Chris's section, with it's desolate, city landscapes . Facial detail looks great aswell

-Melee combat seems a bit more easier to pull of but in a good way. Felt quite satisfying if a tad over the top of the way you take out enemies

-Leons section was of most interest because it was like past Resi games of course. Slow, jump scares, horror, what I want from the franchise

Now the bad

-The camera, the camera is far too close to the character. Your FOV is minuscule, I was wrestling with the thumbstick just to see what was coming as I couldn't see a thing. Don't know what they were thinking with Jakes section. Running into the camera is bad enough, when you can't see anything becuase your FOV is so shit is even worst. The boss was the guy from Bionic Commando but bigger, seriously. This is where I gave up. It's basically a brute running at you or that thing from Gears Of War. It's so hard to dodge and you can't bloody see anything because the camera is so close you can't see a wall next to you! :x

-So the whole game is flippin' co-op again, fuck me. I thought only certain sections were going to have it but no it looks like the whole game again.

-Screen tearing, unforgivable. Sort that out Capcom

-Button prompts - We're not all fucking stupid, we know when to press A to go over something or to climb something. Flashing it on the screen every 5 seconds really took me out of the world seeing a big green button pop up all the time

-I was going to complain about the machine gun enemies but I can't be bothered

Ein Bear

So, so disappointed with this. The Leon demo did show some potential (although the controls are REALLY wonky, especially compared to how well RE4/RE5 handled), but the Chris part was utterly terrible. It's bad enough that none of this Gears of War cover shooter stuff has any place in a Resident Evil game to begin with, but they've not even done it well, it's awful.

Kaldea

If the info under those spoiler tags means what it implies, HYPE.

I downloaded the demo last night but I just haven't felt like playing it. I guess I'm scared of hating it.

I used this method and get this error when I try to play it - The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again. Can it be because I'm in EU?

I'm in EU, worked fine for me. I used this link: http://www.mediafire.com/?zawxgcclrhcuw

Unzipped that, formatted my usb stick through 360 in "Storage" settings to leave like 1 GB for Xbox, put the "Content" folder through Horizon into the usb stick, and then it worked on my 360.

Boy was I glad to find out I could disable destination markers from the options... I'd hate for those to be perma.

Leon's demo was a bit slow but fucking awesome.

Anyone else push Y while aiming with pistols?
Akimbo Pistolssss!

RedSwirl

1. Download all the rar files
2. Unpack them ... now you get the folder "0000000000000000"
3. Create the folder "Content"
4. Open the folder "Content"
5. Now put in the folder "0000000000000000"
6. Burn it.
7. Enjoy.

This sounds dumb, but any particular app I should use to burn?

Minamu

He sounds just like Otacon :D

I've only tried the Leon part so far, but I learned to love it when I got to the garage. Not being able to aim at first and other small things felt really weird at first and the camera was way too fast but when it opened up, it seems really cool. And I haven't even seen Jake and Chris yet :D

gogogow

+ Great graphics; nice lighting, shadows, nice character models.

- FOV way too small, don't see shit (Leon's "Don't let them in", i'm like yeah, don't see shit, how am I supposed to shoot?!)
- Game decides for me when i'm able to walk and when to run.
- crosshair and laser sight, let us turn one of them off, it's very distracting and way harder to pull off headshots than in RE4.
- aiming, feels off, RE5 was already worse than 4, this is worse than RE5.
- Tearing

I see this thread is filled with the same hyperbole that filled the RE5 ones. You people have no clue what you want. This demo is great. The game will be excellent just like the last one was. At least this is different, not just another 3rd person shooter that so many of you want it to be.

I agree. The more I play it and get used to the play style the more I fall in love with it. I'm not even about to tell anyone that they're wrong about their criticisms especially when it comes to things like screen tearing and such, but I completely disagree with 95% of the major complaints so far.

I find that each scenario has something very cool about it. I like that the gameplay is roughly the same between each one, but that the situations are entirely different which force different strategies. Especially the second time I played as Jake and Sherry, I found myself having a ton of fun with the gameplay and just the boss fight in general. Dodging and falling to the ground on your back and being able to turn and shoot is just plain awesome.

Barring a few nitpicks, and not being that big of an RE4 or RE5 fan (though I do like them) this could definitely be my favorite since RE2. That's a very, very premature call but the vibe I get is pretty great. I like the horror elements and settings here a lot more.

btw playing as Sherry is a real treat, especially when you have her crawling.

I thought it was a brilliant demo. Really enjoyed it.

The screen tearing however cant be defended, it's just awful. Especially during cutscenes. Sort that shit out Capcom, though seeing as how Dragons Dogma is plagued by it...I bet they do nothing.

Top Bottom