• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 for PS4 & XB1 |OT| Was it always this awesome?

JudgeN

Did they up texture resolution or is it a straight port? I remember RE6 PC had those flat PS3/360 textures on cars/debris and shit, they stuck out like a sore thumb.

KingV

So I just bought the PC version of this on steam sale, should I stick with that or refund and buy the X1 version?

Specifically, I'm curious if I have no prayer of ever being put into coop with a random on PC.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I am also curious if it's worth opting for the PS4 version over the PC version.

I didn't bother with RE6 when it came out, but I'm kinda curious.

Bittercup

Since some might play this game for the first time:
I would recommend to play the game in chronological order instead of the whole campaigns individually.
It really helps to improve the pacing in my opinion. And it's nice to play towards the ending switching between multiple sides, especially when campaigns overlap.
Unfortunately the game doesn't offer a way to play in order by itself (unless the re-release patched that in?). So you have to quit after levels and manually switch.

The recommended order is (thanks to Dusk Golem)
Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

edit: Or alternatively start with Leon 1-3 (thanks to Charlouie Jonesman for the suggestion)
it's not perfect, since Chris 1 is actually later in the game but you can't play 2 before 1.

Jawmuncher

You should also add that taking a pill (or using FAS) fully recovers the stamina. It's really helpful during Mercenaries (where melee combos give you a time bonus and are great for crowd control) when you deplete all your stamina and don't have time to lay on the ground or take cover.
Willard once I get home
Figure I'll post some of my favorite things about the game.

-Dangerous

-Dynamite

-Ada Wong

-Simmons!

I'll definitely be playing this over the summer.
I snuck some into the op

Technical details on split screen?
It's there but still offset to keep aspect ratio
I am also curious if it's worth opting for the PS4 version over the PC version.

I didn't bother with RE6 when it came out, but I'm kinda curious.
The PC version is still the best. These version are said to be comparable to PCs medium setting with motion blur.

Did they up texture resolution or is it a straight port? I remember RE6 PC had those flat PS3/360 textures on cars/debris and shit, they stuck out like a sore thumb.
iirc it's a straight port, plus most of the extra content (sans l4d2 characters/skins). The big sell on consoles is 1080p/60fps.

IvanJ

Banned
Really looking forward to jump into coop with my wife tomorrow. We had a blast last time around, it seems so long ago.
A perfect game to play throughout April.

wbacon

Capcom USA
Will it also run with 60fps in split screen / local koop?

No scientific testing going on here, but it should run at 60fps most of the time especially in campaign mode. Disclaimer - I've only briefly tested the beginning part of the prelude and the stress-heavy Mercenaries No Mercy mode. Not an easy task managing two controllers just by myself ^^;)

The previously PC-exclusive Mercenaries No Mercy Mode will drop frames when things get busy with too many zombies, explosions, and smoke effects. Variable frame rate is in effect in these situations to maintain proper game speeds.

Otherwise, the game runs suprisingly well in 60fps split screen mode.

Edit: the above applies to both PS4 and XB1.

Lastly, this could be unique to my setup where the game is installed on an external HDD but I highly recommend letting the game install completely before playing, at least on XB1. Like many current gen games, RE6 allows you to play early sections of the game with partial download/installation. However, with XB1, the game may experience frame drop while the system continues to download and install in the background. Again, this may not occur with every system but something to keep in mind before playing.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I would recommend to play the game in chronological order instead of the whole campaigns individually.
It really helps to improve the pacing in my opinion. And it's nice to play towards the ending switching between multiple sides, especially when campaigns overlap.
Unfortunately the game doesn't offer a way to play in order by itself (unless the re-release patched that in?). So you have to quit after levels and manually switch.

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

it's not perfect, since Chris 1 is actually later in the game but you can't play 2 before 1.

I'd recommend you don't do this. It makes a disjointed plot even more disjointed and makes you replay somewhat annoying sections nearly back to back. I'd recommend you start with Chris' or Leon's, finish one then go do the other, and finally do Sherry's then Ada's.

No scientific testing going here, but it should run at 60fps most of the time especially in campaign mode. Disclaimer - I've only briefly tested the beginning part of the prelude and the stress-heavy Mercenaries No Mercy mode. Not an easy task managing two controllers just by myself ^^;)

The previously PC-exclusive Mercenaries No Mercy Mode will drop frames when things get busy with too many zombies, explosions, and smoke effects. Variable frame rate is in effect in these situations to maintain proper game speeds.

Otherwise, the game runs suprisingly well in 60fps split screen mode.

Thanks for the info wbacon!

Why does it say online Co-op campaign specifically?

Did they remove split screen coop?

That was my favorite part on PS3...

They did not, no worries. Splitscreen is still there in all it's offset glory.

I'd recommend you don't do this. It makes a disjointed plot even more disjointed and makes you replay somewhat annoying sections nearly back to back. I'd recommend you start with Chris' or Leon's, finish one then go do the other, and finally do Sherry's then Ada's.

Thanks for the info wbacon!

They did not, no worries. Splitscreen is still there in all it's offset glory.

OK that's good news, although offset small boxes kinda sucks. I assume they made them smaller screens due to system resources last gen, surprised they could have the full screen utilized with options for horizontal or vertical split

I'll take it though

Gbraga

Best Mercs ever! Still bummed they didn't release additional DLC characters for Mercs. Would love to play as Wesker with RE6's controls.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
OK that's good news, although offset small boxes kinda sucks. I assume they made them smaller screens due to system resources last gen, surprised they could have the full screen utilized with options for horizontal or vertical split

I'll take it though

The offset screens' point is to allow the aspect ratio to be the same as single player, so that no part of the screen gets cut off. I mean, I like it, but admittedly it sucks if you have a small monitor.

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

All that being said, I'd still start with the first three Leon chapters, until they go to China. The slow opening of Leon's campaign works at the very beginning of the game, but somewhere in the middle it's a bit jarring and the switch works pretty well from a narrative standpoint imo.

Leon: "Let's go to China!"

And then you switch to Chris who's already brawling around in the chinese danger zone right from the get-go.

Nerrel

Yes and no. Plenty of people love it as a TPS, but as an RE game it's an abomination.

Some would say that as a video game it's an abomination...

I've gotten some limited enjoyment out of it. The controls are fun to use, and the action can be pretty slick once you get used to it. Unfortunately, I don't find the combat or enemy designs particularly enjoyable. It just felt really redundant to me after a few campaigns full of fighting practically nothing but machine gun toting enemies... that was the low point of RE5, and here they've stretched it into an entire game. A lot of people praise the combat and talk about how the j'avo are so well varied with their mutations, but I don't care. They don't mutate enough to keep me interested in fighting them over 3 campaigns.

The level design is generally shitty, linear, and uninteresting, and the game tries to wedge Michael Bay-esque explosion filled QTE sequences wherever possible. Capcom really exceeded their grasp in trying to make a AAA Call of Duty type cinematic action shooter, and it's pretty sad to see segments from other big games shoehorned into this universe. Jake's snowmobile segment feels like it was pulled out of MW2, but without any of the things that made it fun there.

There are some moments of the game that are just abysmal, so bad that not even the defenders who claim that the game is a "misunderstood masterpiece" will defend them. I don't even think it's humanly possible to enjoy wandering around in a blinding snowstorm fetch questing for keys while icy slopes send you to the bottom of the mountain and reverse your progress. Nor do I see any reason that collecting an herb, converting it into a pill, placing the pill in a case, and then tapping a button to eat the pill is a good health system. Yes, there's a shortcut, but it doesn't explain why it was so awful to begin with. It's like they designed this shit to be as tedious as possible.

This was the general reaction most critics and fans had to the game when it released. Some people have really bonded with the action and have praised the game for being a great TPS, and that group has become more vocal over time. But I think they've gone a little too far in the other direction by claiming that the game is some sort of masterpiece. No matter what, it will always be a "me too" AAA cash grab with really awful, boring level design. The combat being great doesn't erase that. You can consider it a heavily flawed game that you might really enjoy.

Just my opinion, come at me with "you were playing it wrong".

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Some would say that as a video game it's an abomination...

I am one of those people. It's is a parody of all of the games that Resident Evil 4 inspired, the series went from cutting edge to 'me-too' in the space of two games. It was like they took every idea from every AAA action game, and threw it at the wall to see what stuck.

Bittercup

All that being said, I'd still start with the first three Leon chapters, until they go to China. The slow opening of Leon's campaign works at the very beginning of the game, but somewhere in the middle it's a bit jarring and the switch works pretty well from a narrative standpoint imo.

Leon: "Let's go to China!"

And then you switch to Chris who's already brawling around in the chinese danger zone right from the get-go.
That's a good point. When I played RE6 the first time I used the recommended order list and enjoyed it like that.
But switching Leon 1-3 to the beginning might be an improvement.

Top Bottom