• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 for PS4 & XB1 |OT| Was it always this awesome?

Riposte

The coolest thing about Jake 3's first part is that it's co-op and solo at the same time. They could make an entire game/campaign out of that concept.

KTO

after expressing concerns i was doing it wrong a few pages back, i have finally hit my stride. The mechanics definitely take some getting used to, and i feel like the game gives you better opportunities to learn how to actually play around chapter three of each campaign after just throwing you into the thick of it for the first two chapters. Leon's campaign especially, but they all have pretty similar arcs.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Guys, I need some help. I was playing with my friend who was hosting his game on professional difficulty, and I figured we both would get credit for playing on professional. Problem is that only he got credit for doing it and not me. I had to do the chapters again solo on professional to get credit. How can I make sure this doesn't happen again?

Replaying Leon's campaign. Everything feels more fun now. Once you know what's going to happen and you are aware of the mechanics everything starts to make sense.

Sectus

Guys, I need some help. I was playing with my friend who was hosting his game on professional difficulty, and I figured we both would get credit for playing on professional. Problem is that only he got credit for doing it and not me. I had to do the chapters again solo on professional to get credit. How can I make sure this doesn't happen again?

You probably weren't on professional difficulty. I don't think the game explains this outside of the digital manual, but each player is on their own individual difficulty (unless you play on "no hope" difficulty which forces the difficulty the same for both players). I don't think the joining player has a way to easily change it. I think it uses the difficulty you last played with in singleplayer.

Voliko

Finished Jake's Campaign last night. Chris's and Ada's left. I think Jake 3 was the best. 4 was not bad, I liked the part with the chainsaw guy and all the regular enemies on the roof.

5 was not good. There's like one regular enemy for most of it and it's not fun to fight, you just shoot at it over and over again. The hand-to-hand last section of the final boss is ridiculous, just mashing buttons and you get too much health. The only good parts were the showdown with Ustanak once you get to the circle on the ground, and the lift part with Chris and Piers. Don't even get me started on the un-fun circular elevator section. QTE's (99% which are terrible) out the wazoo in chapter 5.

As a whole I used like 8 shots of the magnum near the beginning, never used the explosive rounds, and rarely used the sniper. Had a ton of ammo by the end even on professional. I think I like Leon's campaign more, especially for the cooler locations and setting.

I am critical but I still really like the game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You probably weren't on professional difficulty. I don't think the game explains this outside of the digital manual, but each player is on their own individual difficulty (unless you play on "no hope" difficulty which forces the difficulty the same for both players). I don't think the joining player has a way to easily change it. I think it uses the difficulty you last played with in singleplayer.
I figured! I looked it up and for anyone else that's having this problem, you have to start a chapter and make sure it's on professional, then quit out of it to join your friend if he/she is hosting. You'll both get credit for professional this way.

What are your thoughts on the gunship battles in Chris 3? Some cool concepts in play, but I had a couple of issues:

1. Part 1 when protecting Jake and Sherry, you can't tell your partner to target the individual Noga-skakanje on the gunship. This can be irritating in those moments where they are throwing tons of rounds in your direction and can't get the opportunity to zero in.

2. The hitbox/tracking of some of the attacks is poor in both consistency and balance. Thus is more apparent in the boathouse fight than the rooftop, but elements of it rear up in the latter as well. Rounds fired off, both normal and explosive/AoE, can hit the player despite being several meters off target despite any evasive maneuvering done in that moment as well.

Also, while I'm glad Chris is more of a character, some of the beats in Ch.3 don't seem to fit him, nor did the interaction at the tail end of Leon and his behavior shift from that work.

Jake's campaign was definitely a mixed bag. I like Ustanak as a reference to RE 3's Nemesis and the open snow level (Chapter 2) had a great athmosphere and was fun to get through....

..but man, some of the action set pieces were close to busted, I never had a problem in Leon's and Chris' campaign. And the strange stealth sequence...huh...

The environment design was really pretty though, the chinese mansion was great. And Jake's piano-solo. Oh my, I laughed. That came out of nowhere.

Is amazing how shitty the darkness in this game is, or maybe I should say blackness, playing Leon chapter 1 and I'm just guessing where things are. Doors, walls and enemies are all just blackness. I dunno how Capcom fucked this up so badly.

Every other game I own is fine, before someone suggest altering my TV settings.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is amazing how shitty the darkness in this game is, or maybe I should say blackness, playing Leon chapter 1 and I'm just guessing where things are. Doors, walls and enemies are all just blackness. I dunno how Capcom fucked this up so badly.

My TV has been properly calibrated, and I had the same problem. Just turn up the in-game brightness.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

The blacks are strangely crushed in this version.

I just discovered this over the weekend. Me and a friend of mine have been playing RE6 on PC. We just finished playing through the 3 main campaigns (we initially thought Ada's campaign was single player only) and then I looked at my medals and saw that I only had medals for normal difficulty. I went to bed angry that night.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finished Jake's Campaign last night. Chris's and Ada's left. I think Jake 3 was the best. 4 was not bad, I liked the part with the chainsaw guy and all the regular enemies on the roof.

5 was not good. There's like one regular enemy for most of it and it's not fun to fight, you just shoot at it over and over again. The hand-to-hand last section of the final boss is ridiculous, just mashing buttons and you get too much health. The only good parts were the showdown with Ustanak once you get to the circle on the ground, and the lift part with Chris and Piers. Don't even get me started on the un-fun circular elevator section. QTE's (99% which are terrible) out the wazoo in chapter 5.

As a whole I used like 8 shots of the magnum near the beginning, never used the explosive rounds, and rarely used the sniper. Had a ton of ammo by the end even on professional. I think I like Leon's campaign more, especially for the cooler locations and setting.

I am critical but I still really like the game.

Finished Jake 5 last night and found it one of the worst sections in the entire game so far. Much of the level involves running from invincible enemies merely to activate switches and is chock-full of mash-heavy QTE's. The boss fight is the core definition of bullet-sponge with practically endless ammo required to take down and no hit reactions.

I had a moment where I considered uninstalling the game entirely after that travesty of an hour of playtime. My opinion had already waned incredibly since the somewhat optimistic early hours, but it really has gotten worse and worse with each new section. With the final chapter of the other characters awaiting and all of Ada left, it is going to be a real challenge keeping myself motivated to see this through.

Anung

Un Rama
It took 22 days but my copy arrived from America. The wait sucked but I'm super hyped to start playing.

Anyone got a link to Dusk Golens recommenced chapter order?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It took 22 days but my copy arrived from America. The wait sucked but I'm super hyped top start playing.

Anyone got a link to Dusk Golens recommenced chapter order?

I can post it here!

So you first have to the (pretty awful) prelude chapter (worst part of the game in my opinion, but isn't that long). The order Is would recommend both for the 'chronological' series of events (outside of Ada's campaign, but this list was made when her campaign wasn't available until you completed the other three events, and even still I recommend playing her's afterward since her campaign has story spoilers and is harder than the other campaigns), the order is:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

Anung

Un Rama
I can post it here!

So once you finish the (pretty awful) prelude chapter:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

Thanks Dusk. Been a few years since I've played 6 so wanted to make sure I went through it optimally.

Anung

Un Rama
Apologies for the double post. Jeez that prologue was just as bad as I remember.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering but didn't there used to be a camera option to make the camera stick to the players back and make it tighter? Had a jiggle around in the options and couldn't find anything.

Anyone is having issues with the weapon master thropy?. I already killed more than 10 enemies with every weapon and the thropy is not popping up.

Horns

Didn't even know this was being remastered. Never got around to it last gen so I think I'll give it a whirl especially at this price.

gconsole

I stop playing Jake campaign during Helicopter fight. It becomes full COD with all enemies carry gun and you have Helicopter keep shooting at you. I never have a problem RE become more shooter than the classic, but this is beyond what I want to play. That's the whole reason why I never buy COD type of game in the first place.

The problem is the creator will think the sale they got is from COD fanbase, where in the reality most of the audiences are still RE fanbase who just buy the game because it is RE. And I hate it if the next RE will follow this trend. I enjoy RE4, RE5, but not 6. This game is a mess. Apart from improved combat mechanism (which I hope they keep it in the next game), everything else is just all over the place. I even swear it out that this is not fun to play at all. WTH.

Sorry not sorry but FUCK these people who join my No Mercy sessions who can't even heal themselves and are stupid enough to shoot dynamite zombies when im standing next to them. Like what the fuck are you thinking?! The prologue even teaches you how to heal yourself so there's no excuse. People are just stupid in general so no wonder people dislike this game if they dont even know how to do the most simple things. Surprised they even know how search for a match. People like this just ruin the game for me. Solo play forever.

Psssh.

brau

Sorry not sorry but FUCK these people who join my No Mercy sessions who can't even heal themselves and are stupid enough to shoot dynamite zombies when im standing next to them. Like what the fuck are you thinking?! The prologue even teaches you how to heal yourself so there's no excuse. People are just stupid in general so no wonder people dislike this game if they dont even know how to do the most simple things. Surprised they even know how search for a match. People like this just ruin the game for me. Solo play forever.

Psssh.

Gotta play this with friends, family or some trustee gaffers.

I agree tho that bad partners will really ruin the experience.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I stop playing Jake campaign during Helicopter fight. It becomes full COD with all enemies carry gun and you have Helicopter keep shooting at you. I never have a problem RE become more shooter than the classic, but this is beyond what I want to play. That's the whole reason why I never buy COD type of game in the first place.

The problem is the creator will think the sale they got is from COD fanbase, where in the reality most of the audiences are still RE fanbase who just buy the game because it is RE. And I hate it if the next RE will follow this trend. I enjoy RE4, RE5, but not 6. This game is a mess. Apart from improved combat mechanism (which I hope they keep it in the next game), everything else is just all over the place. I even swear it out that this is not fun to play at all. WTH.

How is it like COD again? Because enemies have guns? Damn, I never knew Metal Gear was aiming for the COD fanbase.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
How is it like COD again? Because enemies have guns? Damn, I never knew Metal Gear was aiming for the COD fanbase.

The fun part of the assumption is after the helicopter fight, the rest of Jake's campaign doesn't even really focus on enemies with guns. The next section is full of enemies that mutate into lizard monsters, and then a Ustanak fight and a multiple-segment fight against the chainsaw enemy. The next chapter completely ditches gun enemies too.

LaNaranja

Why is it that Urban Chaos and Mining in the Depths are so popular? Everyone has access to every stage from the start, and both Catacombs and Rooftop have the same enemies so why the lack of variety? Whenever I want to play these stages with randoms I have to be the host because no one hosts the other other stages.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Why is it that Urban Chaos and Mining in the Depths are so popular? Everyone has access to every stage from the start, and both Catacombs and Rooftop have the same enemies so why the lack of variety? Whenever I want to play these stages with randoms I have to be the host because no one hosts the other other stages.
I love mining the depths. It's so fun. However, if people join the game you host, I don't really see the problem. I'd raise concerns if people didn't join the game you're hosting. I've hosted all the maps before and there's always someone that joins. We gotta lead the way!!!

The fun part of the assumption is after the helicopter fight, the rest of Jake's campaign doesn't even really focus on enemies with guns. The next section is full of enemies that mutate into lizard monsters, and then a Ustanak fight and a multiple-segment fight against the chainsaw enemy. The next chapter completely ditches gun enemies too.

Much of the scenario is ripped from CoD and similar games, I don't see how can ignore this based on a few variations, who wants to dodge some trees in a snowmobile chase, (I'm too lazy to link the clips of heli chases, heli battles, heli gun battles, etc etc, let alone the things other characters campaigns use And 'full of enemies that mutate into lizard monsters' isn't accurate, there are like 3 in one area which has several times as many enemies using guns. Next chapter has enemies with guns and rpgs too.

Mr_Zombie

Much of the scenario is ripped from CoD and similar games, I don't see how can ignore this based on a few variations,

You mean action games? Well, RE6 (as well as RE5 and 4) are action games. The series shifted from being a pure survival horror to action horror with RE4 11 years ago. Set pieces such as snowmobile rides, heli battles, tank chases were present in action games long before Modern Warfare. RE4 alone had a jet ski chase and a section where a guy in a helicopter helped you clear an area full of enemies, some of them using rocket launchers. Was that also ripped from CoD?

Anung

Un Rama
Finished the campaign today and as much as the level design doesn't gel with the mechanics. And as much as the campaign is bloated as hell and in dire need of an trim. I just can't hate it. There are so many amazing ideas and set pieces here. The story is dumb in the best way possible and I think this might have one of the most underrated soundtracks of the series. Probably the best character design too.

It's a genuine shame that everyone wrote the game off before coming to terms with the mechanics because once they stick they are just sooooooo bloody good. The versatility of the J'avo compliment the mechanics in ways people never gave them credit for and add a subtle element of strategy.

The only thing that I outright despise is enemy gunfire staggering the player. Gunfire knocking the player off their feet is just so baffling it actually hurts my brain. The little roll makes it a little less frustrating but it hurts the game feel so bad when you get caught in a constant knock down loop. It's like the game wants you to slow down while the mechanics want you to keep running. I wish there was an option to turn it off. Tripping over dead bodies sucks too.

It'd be a genuine shame if these mechanics never got another chance to shine. Learning the mechanics and playing co-op make this game legit great.

- I'd love to play these MP modes but nobody seems to be playing them :(
- I'm definitely going for the platinum in this. Already platted REmake and Zero HD.

Top Bottom