• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Revenant

Besides better judgement picked this up. Wow that has to be one of the worst openings to a game in a long time. Major turn off. Started up Chris campaign and it got better, but holy shit the game is so flawed. It's kind fun when it works, but again it's like theres something wrong with every element, tons of little things that just all add up to a frustrating experience.

this is a pretty good way to describe it. You could see where some of these ideas would work, but then it's so few and far between. If RE6 wants to be an action game thats fine, but it's just not a very good one and there are too many lows to make up for the moments of fun.

Lol. Don't like mannequins?

2129123131_d4515a9e5a.jpg

mannequin.jpg

Not really but it was more so that I KNEW something was going to happen in that room. I just didnt know what it would be.

Man mercs is brutal. It doesnt matter how much time is left on the clock once you killed 150. If you dont have a long ass combo your not getting them points.

I aksed before but does anyone know how to get a 4 star medal?

Vamphuntr

Really? Do you think you can link me to a GAF post or link to the leak? I want to read the reactions.

For the leak you should try looking for the very first reveal thread from January. I'm on my phone right now and search is kinda clunky. Maybe someone else has a direct link. Dusk Golem and News Bot were the one that posted about it I think.

Astral

Not really but it was more so that I KNEW something was going to happen in that room. I just didnt know what it would be.

Man mercs is brutal. It doesnt matter how much time is left on the clock once you killed 150. If you dont have a long ass combo your not getting them points.

I aksed before but does anyone know how to get a 4 star medal?

Assuming "4 star medal" means an S rank, I got an S with Leon, Jake, Chris, and Helena without ever killing all 150. I just got a 80 something kill combo with Leon and Chris and 2 50 or so kill combos with Helena and Jake. That was in Urban Chaos though. I don't know how much harder it is in other maps.

Assuming "4 star medal" means an S rank, I got an S with Leon, Jake, Chris, and Helena without ever killing all 150. I just got a 80 something kill combo with Leon and Chris and 2 50 or so kill combos with Helena and Jake. That was in Urban Chaos though. I don't know how much harder it is in other maps.

It cant be an S rank as I have plenty of those but still havent unlocked the "earn a 4 star medal" trophy.

Astral

It cant be an S rank as I have plenty of those but still havent unlocked the "earn a 4 star medal" trophy.

Oh wow. I know what it is now. A 4 star medal has to do with your dog tags. Each title in a dog tag has stars. The more you achieve in that title the more stars you get for it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Anyone else encounter a bug in the Chris campaign where the cutscene after
piers injects himself
skips? I was playing co-op and thought maybe me or my partner skipped it but when I looked at the cutscene viewer its blank.

Replicant

Maybe I am turning into a dumb mainstream gamer but I really like Chris Redfield's RE5 and RE6 character design (although his haircut in RE6 still bugs me). Yeah he's all roided up but his melee attacks are suitably powerful and his voice actor is damn good.

Me 2. Not here for skinny Chris anymore. So what if many male gamers can no longer self-insert themselves to be Chris because they don't have the kind of body similar to his? That's no reason to revert him back to his old weak self.

Neiteio

So someone tell me if this is all the DLC we know of so far:

- No Hope difficulty (will be patched in)
- Ada campaign co-op with "Agent" as partner (will be patched in)
- Survivor multiplayer mode (available to 360 owners first)
- Predator multiplayer mode (available to 360 owners first)
- Siege multiplayer mode (available to 360 owners first)
- Mercs map: Rail Yard (preorder bonus first)
- Mercs map: Catacombs (preorder bonus first)
- Mercs map: High Seas Fortress (preorder bonus first)
- Mercs map: Requiem for War
- Mercs map: Creature Workshop
- Mercs map: Rooftop Mission
- Mercs map: Liquid Fire
* Note about last four Mercs maps: Appear to be based on final boss locations for each campaign, plus what looks like Edonia in springtime
- "Classic" PSX skins for Leon, Helena, Chris, Piers, Jake, Sherry and Ada
- Possibly "Agent" as a Mercs character, since his portrait was found via hacking, iirc

Beyond that... Maybe the post-Ada Campaign cutscene involving Jake will turn into a Lost in Nightmare/Desperate Struggle-style DLC chapter or mini-campaign? And I wonder if they'll add any completely new characters to Mercs, like Jill and Sheva, or Barry and Rebecca?

Jawmuncher

So someone tell me if this is all the DLC we know of so far:

- No Hope difficulty (will be patched in)
- Ada campaign co-op with "Agent" as partner (will be patched in)
- Survivor multiplayer mode (available to 360 owners first)
- Predator multiplayer mode (available to 360 owners first)
- Siege multiplayer mode (available to 360 owners first)
- Mercs map: Rail Yard (preorder bonus first)
- Mercs map: Catacombs (preorder bonus first)
- Mercs map: High Seas Fortress (preorder bonus first)
- Mercs map: Requiem for War
- Mercs map: Creature Workshop
- Mercs map: Rooftop Mission
- Mercs map: Liquid Fire
* Note about last four Mercs maps: Appear to be based on final boss locations for each campaign, plus what looks like Edonia in springtime
- "Classic" PSX skins for Leon, Helena, Chris, Piers, Jake, Sherry and Ada
- Possibly "Agent" as a Mercs character, since his portrait was found via hacking, iirc

Beyond that... Maybe the post-Ada Campaign cutscene involving Jake will turn into a Lost in Nightmare/Desperate Struggle-style DLC chapter or mini-campaign? And I wonder if they'll add any completely new characters to Mercs, like Jill and Sheva, or Barry and Rebecca
?

Considering How Well that DLC did in RE5 they damn well better.

Ahasverus

I bought this game thinking press was exaggerating.
I was wrong.
This game is Dragon's Lair with zombies, what a qte fest, and controls are not even good, SH Downpour feels better than this... and that is just wrong.

Still trying to take some fun out of this though!

Also, Leon's model is soo
Hot
good

Ken

I bought this game thinking press was exaggerating.
I was wrong.
This game is Dragon's Lair with zombies, what a qte fest, and controls are not even good, SH Downpour feels better than this... and that is just wrong.

Still trying to take some fun out of this though!

No.

fionel

Played some split-screen with my non-gamer wife yesterday. She's the kinda person who simply cannot move and shoot at the same time so she couldn't kill anything with guns. She had a lot of difficulty moving her character (Sherry) around while the controls feel like second nature to me as I'm used to moving my character and the camera with both analog sticks simultaneously.

For the record, we finished RE5 on normal together and though she didn't rock in that game at least she didn't really have to fight the controls. This dawned on me on why there are polarizing opinions on how good/bad the controls are. If I had to take an educated guess I think if the user is not used to controlling the camera and the player character at the same time then they will think the controls are shit. Now I'm not saying things are perfect even for someone like me who has little problems with the controls, but once you get used to it the freedom of movement RE6 provides over the previous entries in the series simply gives you more options in a crowd, which can only be a good thing. However because of that it requires the user to constantly adjust the camera and that's where it totally frustrates some people.

Anyway just my .02.

Decided to test out co-op mercs and did a quick match. My partner and I killed it. 150 combo and the final score was somewhere around 1,111,000. Not bad for my first time with a partner, especially since it was someone random.

If anyone on PSN wants to play some mercs tomorrow just send me an invite. My PSN id is TheMadnessBeast.

I'd prefer they stick with this story. They could go interesting places with a potential Jake and Sherry romance, not to mention Chris and Jill (I think it could happen) and of course Leon and Ada. We still don't know what this organization,
The Family
, ultimately hopes to accomplish, though it's clear they have an Illumanti-like level of influence on world events. And really, every crazy new incident just adds a rich new wrinkle to the wild stories of these different characters. It's fun to think back on all the adventures these characters have been through, and to think where they'll go next. The lore and characters are a great part of RE's appeal, so I hope they never do away with it for a reboot.

I like how you say the story can still go to interesting places and the first thing you bring up is shipping bullshit.

Played and finished Chris 2 last night. Had quite a good time with it despite running out of ammo quite often. That quickshot with Piers' rifle is serious business.

I think we know all the dlc available for this game, got a feeling capcom is gonna start shying away from dlc to favour closer releases, so re7 in the next couple of years for example

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
I actually... Like this game. Haven't touched my xbox in a while and decided to check out the demo. Just played Leon's demo and really enjoyed it. Going to hold out for the pc version though.

GeekyDad

Do people really count being grabbed and other melee maneuvers as QTE's

That's the impression I got from some of the more scathing reviews I read. I guess technically they could be grouped together with the rest of the stuff because you're being prompted, but then, you'd also have to include jumping, climbing ladders, kicking crates, etc. I think it was an excuse to riff. In any case, the actual QTEs in RE4 were far worse in my opinion. I'm no fan of the mechanic ever, really, but they seem more engaging here, at least some of them do, like the ones where you have to wait for the indicator to cross over a certain area before clicking; that feels almost like the prompts in Elite Beat Agents.

Wouldn't it be great (and oddly appropriate) if anytime you got grappled by an enemy, the game broke into song and you had to EBA your way out instead of just a single QTE? Resident Evil meets Hair.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think we know all the dlc available for this game, got a feeling capcom is gonna start shying away from dlc to favour closer releases, so re7 in the next couple of years for example

It might happen. Again, Capcom has different departments but so far I've been pretty alright with how they've been handling DLC with this game (given none of it is out yet), the only thing I'm kind of iffy on was skimping out on Mercenaries maps but then I'd rather them foxus the DLC around the extra mode than the main game, and the game already has a ton of content in it so I don't really feel like they stripped anything from the game. I also have had some faith in it though as I've mentioned I thought the DLC for RE5 was really well handled and priced very well, Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape I view as quality DLC that came a year or so after the game being the type of DLC I fully support (content made after the game that improves off things from the original game's reception and has a lot of bang for your buck), and I feel that the same can happen here. I they take user and critic feedback on RE6 and develop some future add-on campaign stuff, I think it could be of very high quality.

The part of Capcom that handles RE is different than the part that handles Street Fighter, and I think the people of RE have a bit of a better idea of how to handle DLC than SF Capcom does.

Lothar

Banned
People in this thread seem to be liking RE6. So.. does that mean it's not as terrible as RE5 was?

How's the mood and atmosphere? Atmosphere to me, was the difference between RE4 being a great game and RE5 being an unplayable bore. Being in broad daylight for most of the time removed the oppressive atmosphere which has always been the thing that defined the series and made the games unique and worth playing.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
People in this thread seem to be liking RE6. So.. does that mean it's not as terrible as RE5 was?

How's the mood and atmosphere? Atmosphere to me, was the difference between RE4 being a great game and RE5 being an unplayable bore. Being in broad daylight for most of the time removed the oppressive atmosphere which has always been the thing that defined the series and made the games unique and worth playing.

Atmosphere in RE6 is definitely 100% better, but that doesn't mean that the game is less action oriented than RE5. If you're looking for a return to old school RE then you won't find it here, but if you want a good action game set in creepy settings with creepy enemies, then you might enjoy RE6.

Play the demo and see how you feel about it (although most people feel the demo showed some of the worst areas from the final game).

A few questions about Ada:
Why does Simmons
call Ada a "traitor" on that scene atop the train when he fully knew it was Carla? And in the scene in Chapter 5 before he turns into a t-rex and Ada appears in a helicopter, he tells her she will pay for betraying him or something like that. Didn't Ada tell Simmons herself in her campaign that her doppelganger is trying to destroy the world?

And how did people know about
Carla's existence, get the photo of her sitting with Simmons and find out she was Ada's clone
months before the game even came out?
And how did they know Ada was the one in the red with no earrings and Carla was the one in the blue with the red scarf?

First question:
Because Carla did betray him, she was asked to take Jake for him and instead used him for her own purposes (and infected Simmons with the C-Virus). In the Rex scene, he mistakingly thinks he's talking to Carla.

Second question: It was on the demo files I think.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

The people who are still talking about the game at this point are more likely to be the people who like it, so the general tone of the thread isn't really an indicator of overall opinion.

There are parts of RE6 that try to do mood and atmosphere more like RE4. I don't think it succeeds, but I think it does better in some ways than RE5 did. Still, RE6's inclusion of mostly orchestrated music rather than atonal, moody noise reveals its true aspirations.

If one thing has become clear from following this thread for weeks, and the demo thread before that, it's that it's really hard to predict what people will and won't like about the game, or whether their overall impression will be positive or negative.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
a lot of people apparently do judging by this thread.

they're wrong though.

Active reload, now that is fucking awesome 10/10 gameplay.... grabbing a bloodshot out of the air and OHK'ing it? Pshhh get that QTE shit outta my gamez!

I like active reload. But I like RE6 counters better.

Neiteio

The people who are still talking about the game at this point are more likely to be the people who like it, so the general tone of the thread isn't really an indicator of overall opinion.

There are parts of RE6 that try to do mood and atmosphere more like RE4. I don't think it succeeds, but I think it does better in some ways than RE5 did. Still, RE6's inclusion of mostly orchestrated music rather than atonal, moody noise reveals its true aspirations.

If one thing has become clear from following this thread for weeks, and the demo thread before that, it's that it's really hard to predict what people will and won't like about the game, or whether their overall impression will be positive or negative.
Or one and then the other -- I hated the demo at first but loved the full game. :)

As far as atmosphere, RE6 is 100 percent darker than RE5. Leon's second chapter (cemetery, cathedral, etc) feels like the second chapter of RE4 (village at night), and the grittier urban areas in RE6 are -at least- as immersive as RE4's Island. All in all, the atmosphere is consistent and an improvement over RE5. I'd say the trailers do a good job of establishing the overall tone of the game. It's dark, but definitely busier -- it's an ensemble cast drama set during a global crisis, so don't expect the same sense of isolation, but do expect a lot of variety.

Me 2. Not here for skinny Chris anymore. So what if many male gamers can no longer self-insert themselves to be Chris because they don't have the kind of body similar to his? That's no reason to revert him back to his old weak self.

? Chis never was skinny gamer like image or anything. He was always a fairly well off looking person. He never looked weak, he looked like a normal person. They just gave him a super hero physique that was like twice his original designs size, and had him doing stupid things like punching boulders which made things comical.

Most people who didn't like it abandoned ship already, the fanboys are now left

I missed boulder-punching Chris in RE6.

Nothing in RE6 was quite as grandiose as RE5, even though this time they were dealing with a global threat.

No boulder-punching showdown in a volcano... that was just too epic. RE6 needed something over the top like that.

Nothing in RE6 was quite as grandiose as RE5, even though this time they were dealing with a global threat.

No boulder-punching showdown in a volcano... that was just too epic. RE6 needed something over the top like that.

Uhmmm, play Chris's campaign as Piers. The final boss fight is the most awesome, over the top thing EVER... Boulder punching is weaksauce in comparison.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Wha? RE6 was much more over-the-top than RE5. Chris' last two chapters, Leon's last chapter, and the second half of Jake's campaign were off the wall.

Wha? RE6 was much more over-the-top than RE5. Chris' last two chapters, Leon's last chapter, and the second half of Jake's campaign were off the wall.

Why?

Because
Chris flies a jet? Because Piers shoots lightning?

Leon's final boss is the only thing that even comes close, and it was pretty awesome... but it doesn't compare to a shirtless Wesker yelling at Chris in a volcano. Nothing comes close to that

Top Bottom