• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

cvxfreak

So any connection to revelations in this? Really seemed like that entry served no purpose, thought it was going to set up events for this by chance.

Nope. That one's tied with the events of RE5, serving as a kind of precursor. I'm sure Capcom will reference it in future entries, especially if Revelations gets ported to other hardware.

StunandStab and I got a 150 combo in Steel Beast.

Yep! It was awesome.

We did it as Sherry and Piers. Score of 1198692 :D

edit: Also, I have memorized the spawns in Steel Beast... so that helps. If anyone wants help with that stage I would love to play any time (except maybe not tonight, pretty sure I am done for tonight)

Astral

Does anyone have the Weapon Mastery skills (Handgun, Shotgun, etc)? What do they do? They take forever to unlock.

EDIT: Nevermind I found out. How incredibly underwhelming.

On Leon's last(?) boss, split coop with roommate. Why won't this fucking guy just die? Seriously the most annoying villain and boss ever in a Resident Evil.

Bladenic

Omfg finished Chapter 3 Pro Chris playing as Piers. I cannot stress enough how utterly awful
both chopper fights are, BUT especially the second one at the restaurant. It really doesn't have a set pattern. But the worst part? It can hit you regardless of being in cover. I'm not sure of the fucking bullets ricochet and hit you, if its glitchy, if the chopper shots missiles and the explosion is really small yet still gets you, or what. But it's a pain in the ass to fight. Worst fight ever.
Chapters 1 and 2 were easy on Pro though.

Noi

Omfg finished Chapter 3 Pro Chris playing as Piers. I cannot stress enough how utterly awful
both chopper fights are, BUT especially the second one at the restaurant. It really doesn't have a set pattern. But the worst part? It can hit you regardless of being in cover. I'm not sure of the fucking bullets ricochet and hit you, if its glitchy, if the chopper shots missiles and the explosion is really small yet still gets you, or what. But it's a pain in the ass to fight. Worst fight ever. Chapters 1 and 2 were easy on Pro though.
Me and SixStringPsycho did that fight a few hours ago and it's easy as hell with both people
shooting at the chopper. For the restaurant one, I didn't even have to leave the area you jump onto, he went down THAT quickly. Then again, I'm rolling with Firearm Lv3, so I dunno if that makes that huge a difference.

Like I told Evolved, you should ask to see if people wanna play with ya.

Bladenic

Me and SixStringPsycho did that fight a few hours ago and it's easy as hell with both people
shooting at the chopper. For the restaurant one, I didn't even have to leave the area you jump onto, he went down THAT quickly. Then again, I'm rolling with Firearm Lv3, so I dunno if that makes that huge a difference.

Like I told Evolved, you should ask to see if people wanna play with ya.

Regardless it's still awful due to the simple fact that there's no way to safely and reliably hit it without getting owned. I don't have Firearms level 3 either though, I'm sure that makes a difference. And 2 people. But in principle it's still very poorly designed.

Noi

Regardless it's still awful due to the simple fact that there's no way to safely and reliably hit it without getting owned. I don't have Firearms level 3 either though, I'm sure that makes a difference. And 2 people. But in principle it's still very poorly designed.

Yeah, I'll agree with ya that the game is pretty poorly designed at times when it comes to single player stuff. Hell, on the Jake/Sherry side of that fight, it's kinda silly that
the normal weapon you use to fight it is a missable weapon for Jake, so if you didn't get it and never realize that you can jump on the rope... you pretty much have to depend on AI Sherry to take out the chopper solo. LOL
RE6 at times really shows that it was primarily designed with co-op in mind, with the option to play single player if you want to.

Riposte

So how do you manage weapons anyway? Lets say you don't want your inventory clogged by them?

WOW, Chris Chapter 3 Docks is the worst thing ever. Holy Fuck.

This has completely soured me on the game.

I loved that part. Felt good doing it with Piers.

I also had no problem with the boss people are talking about in Jake 3. You can kill it with the alt fire of your machine gun ("Scorpion" it might be called).

Playing this game solo seems like a bad idea altogether. A last resort, at the least.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't have many problems with Chris 3 or Jake 4, weirdly. Chris 1 was just boring, though. By far my least favourite chapter.

I actually ended up liking Chris 2, for what it was. The AA gun boss fight was fun. I like open spaces in these games.

Noi

So how do you manage weapons anyway? Lets say you don't want your inventory clogged by them?

You don't, unfortunately. Once you pick a weapon up, you have it stuck to you forever unless you choose to not carry them over in a NG+. Alternatively, the character you DIDN'T play as doesn't have any of the weapons as the character that got 'em.

Problem with that boss though, is that the
Bear Commander, not Scorpion, is missable for Jake. The only other way for Jake to damage to chopper is to grab onto the rope and shoot the pilot, but the game does no indication that you can actually do that.

Bladenic

Yeah, I'll agree with ya that the game is pretty poorly designed at times when it comes to single player stuff. Hell, on the Jake/Sherry side of that fight, it's kinda silly that
the normal weapon you use to fight it is a missable weapon for Jake, so if you didn't get it and never realize that you can jump on the rope... you pretty much have to depend on AI Sherry to take out the chopper solo. LOL
RE6 at times really shows that it was primarily designed with co-op in mind, with the option to play single player if you want to.

Yeah, I remember praising the AI and Capcom when I finished my Normal Playthrough. But the AI shows its weaknesses on Pro. Nowhere near as terrible as RE5 AI though.

Noi

So I suck at mercs, so I'm running a setup here to farm skill points on Chris 5.
Start as Chris, throw Piers over the gap, make a beeline for the elevator, pickup Piers, go straight for the lever room with the timer, kill all of the enemies that spawn from the chrysalids, move to the HAOS room, quit out.
Takes about 7 minutes for ~20k skillpoints. Anyone got something better?

Yeah, I remember praising the AI and Capcom when I finished my Normal Playthrough. But the AI shows its weaknesses on Pro. Nowhere near as terrible as RE5 AI though.

Yeah, making the AI invulnerable is probably the best choice made, though I do hate the trade-off being that they can't revive you with a bit of health/tic-tacs unless you use up a skill slot for it. That how they're the best at fighting regular mooks, but you can't count on them for crap during boss fights and the like. Then again, I pretty much only play RE5/6 with other people, so my AI experience is limited to easy difficulty runs for emblems/trophies and the AI's complete ineptitude during Final Campaign 5.

Replicant

So I suck at mercs, so I'm running a setup here to farm skill points on Chris 5.
Start as Chris, throw Piers over the gap, make a beeline for the elevator, pickup Piers, go straight for the level room with the timer, kill all of the enemies that spawn from the chrysalids, move to the HAOS room, quit out.
Takes about 7 minutes for ~20k skillpoints. Anyone got something better?

Oooh, I should try this. I assume the skill points can go towards the skills? But how about medals? Do we get any everytime we do it? I just want to unlock those costumes damn it but I am still sucking @ Mercs.

Noi

Oooh, I should try this. I assume the skill points can go towards the skills? But how about medals? Do we get any everytime we do it? I just want to unlock those costumes damn it but I am still sucking @ Mercs.

Well, you don't get medals cause you're not finishing the chapter, just quitting out after the game saves in the
HAOS
room. If you want the alt costumes, you still need to get 'em either the old fashioned way or with RE.net. :V

News Bot

Banned
The files pretty much confirm a sequel.

The Family already have a new leader by the end of the game, and they recovered the enhanced C-Virus from Simmons' corpse. Jake is being searched for again in the event that a new C-Virus (the enhanced one) turns up and they need his blood again.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I ended up buying it. Like cvxfreak I'm just too hardcore of an RE fan to not at least give it a go. From what I've played so far, I plan on writing up a detailed essay on fundamental game design and mechanics based solely on my experience with this game. In an effort to set itself apart they've left behind a lot of fundamental game mechanics that just simply "work" for this type of game.

I feel like I am actually locked in a personal struggle with the RE6 developers on why they made certain unique design decisions. This game is a perfect example of the problems and obstacles developers will be facing going into next generation, as development team size continues to swell past the 250 mark into 3-4 or even 500 member teams.

I can't go into detail yet, because I promised myself that I would master the game properly, like I have every other Biohazard I've played, before appropriately dissecting it. I have a long way to go....

Carbonox

The Family already have a new leader by the end of the game, and they recovered the enhanced C-Virus from Simmons' corpse. Jake is being searched for again in the event that a new C-Virus (the enhanced one) turns up and they need his blood again.

Either this ties in with the
'secret ending' featuring Jake which may or may not be DLC, or the sequel will actually focus on him taking the fight to The Family. Would be an interesting path.

Jacob4815

A spoiler question...
At the end of the game there will be some explanation of the mysterious "organization" for which Ada Wong worked in RE4?

Can anyone answer only with a "yes" or "no"? Thanks! :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I mean, everyone already knew there was going to be an RE7, yes?

When playing Solo half of them spawn at the very top, other half at the bottom. In Duo they just don't care...it's almost like that stage is for more than 2 players.

And yeah the J'avo are easier, they telegraph their moves more too.

Yo dude looks like we're ranked 581 on Mining the Depths. Haha not bad!

BTW what do you guys think is the best strategy for a 150 combo on Steel Beast? Is it best to have one guy up top and one guy on the bottom? Running from one floor to the other looking for enemies is an easy way to lose your combo...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
WOW, Chris Chapter 3 Docks is the worst thing ever. Holy Fuck.

This has completely soured me on the game.
Are you kidding me? I thought that part was absolutely awesome.

What on earth is giving you trouble? I'm genuinely surprised to hear that.

Chapter 3 in its entirety was very strong, I thought.

Finished Chris and Leon's campaigns, couldn't bring myself to carry on playing Jake's after falling down that fucking ice hill for the third or fourth time, so now it's left my shelf never to return. Whoever thought it was a good decision to have you fall down every time you lose a block of health should not be allowed to make games again.

Does the story even come together through files or the fourth campaign?

GeekyDad

Well, just ordered a copy. Now to try and restrain myself from watching anymore "let's plays" and walkthroughs until next Friday. Not gonna be easy...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Chris and Leon's campaigns, couldn't bring myself to carry on playing Jake's after falling down that fucking ice hill for the third or fourth time, so now it's left my shelf never to return. Whoever thought it was a good decision to have you fall down every time you lose a block of health should not be allowed to make games again.

Yeah I think the whole "falling down every time you lose some health" concept is retarded. You can kind of mitigate it by holding the action button to get right back up, but it's just a bad idea in general. I never did fall down that ice hill though, maybe because I kept rolling my way back up? I dunno, it just seems like a terrible idea to put that in the game.

Well, just ordered a copy. Now to try and restrain myself from watching anymore "let's plays" and walkthroughs until next Friday. Not gonna be easy...

Play something else. I bought Max Payne 3 the weekend before the game released and just played that non-stop over the weekend to keep my mind off RE6 lol.

What about all the chrysalidas that Carla left with his ultimate creation?, I think one of the files mention they are over the world. I really hope they are all wesker clones just for the lulz

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
RE.net seems to be down again... I like the idea of the site (wish more games would do something like that) but damn were they unprepared for the traffic.

What about all the chrysalidas that Carla left with his ultimate creation?, I think one of the files mention they are over the world. I really hope they are all wesker clones just for the lulz

She wouldn't create Wesker...she think's he's an imbecile.

RE.net seems to be down again... I like the idea of the site (wish more games would do something like that) but damn were they unprepared for the traffic.

She wouldn't create Wesker...she think's he's an imbecile.

That's because she's so tsundere!

Actually
may be so, but his blood was special and probably the key to build an ultimate creation, if the new Wesker were programed with Carla's goals I don't think she would wind...

Evolved1

That's because she's so tsundere!

Actually
may be so, but his blood was special and probably the key to build an ultimate creation, if the new Wesker were programed with Carla's goals I don't think she would wind...

She has Jake's blood. It's going to be Jake in the crystalid... this will be about as surprising as RE5 Jill in the birdsuit.

This way they get to have a "wesker" back as the bad guy(s) and Jake can also be the hero, plus they get to use the gimmicky clones for storytelling which they seem to enjoy so much.

When this happens in three years remember you read it here first.

She has Jake's blood. It's going to be Jake in the crystalid... this will be about as surprising as RE5 Jill in the birdsuit.

This way they get to have a "wesker" back as the bad guy(s) and Jake can also be the hero, plus they get to use the gimmicky clones for storytelling which they seem to enjoy so much.

When this happens in three years remember to read it here first.

I hardly believe Capcom would miss the oportunity to bring back Wesker and waste it of making a "bad" Jake, when Jake is already bound to appear in future RE games. Is Wesker or young Spencer...that would be hilarious

Replicant

Yeah I think the whole "falling down every time you lose some health" concept is retarded. You can kind of mitigate it by holding the action button to get right back up, but it's just a bad idea in general. I never did fall down that ice hill though, maybe because I kept rolling my way back up? I dunno, it just seems like a terrible idea to put that in the game.

THESE. SO MUCH THESE!!!

I want them to FIRE whoever created that segment. What a nightmare and a chore to go through. The stupid thing is you can't even roll and slide, which is the fighting mechanic they have for the characters, because you'll also fall down the minute you slide. You can't even stop until you hit the bottom of the mountain. Who actually think that is fun to play? So much stupidity and lack of thinking rolled into one idea.

Evolved1

THESE. SO MUCH THESE!!!

I want them to FIRE whoever created that segment. What a nightmare and a chore to go through. The stupid thing is you can't even roll and slide, which is the fighting mechanic they have for the character, because you'll also fall down the minute you slide. You can't even stop until you hit the bottom of the mountain. So annoying.

That part isn't too bad really... you have to kill one sniper and that's it. One sniper can knock you down, and he's already near the bottom. Just kill his ass, you have a OHK rifle. You can run past any other dude and kill 'em up top.

Plus... it's fun to slide down the mountain on your way back!

g84IA.png

Replicant

That part isn't too bad really... you have to kill one sniper and that's it. One sniper can knock you down, and he's already near the bottom. Just kill his ass, you have a OHK rifle. You can run past any other dude and kill 'em up top.

Plus... it's fun to slide down the mountain on your way back!

g84IA.png

I didn't even bother with him. I shot the guy with the snow mobile and I rode the mobile all the way to the top, leaving Sherry behind. She was okay though and eventually catch up with me because everyone else and their mother were chasing after me.

Sectus

Maybe I was just lucky, but I played the snow mountain part on professional and I didn't have any trouble. I was confused for a while about where to go, but I think I simply ended up using LB to figure where the objectives are.

I have one hilarious memory of that level. I was playing coop and there's this one bridge which looks like it's ready to collapse any moment but it's completely safe to walk on. Just to mess with my friend I thought I'd put a remote bomb on the bridge and explode it as he walks on it to surprise him. I did that... and the bridge gets destroyed in the explosion and my coop partner falls to his death! I couldn't stop laughing when that happened, I had no idea the bridge could be destroyed.

Alfredo

THESE. SO MUCH THESE!!!

I want them to FIRE whoever created that segment. What a nightmare and a chore to go through. The stupid thing is you can't even roll and slide, which is the fighting mechanic they have for the characters, because you'll also fall down the minute you slide. You can't even stop until you hit the bottom of the mountain. Who actually think that is fun to play? So much stupidity and lack of thinking rolled into one idea.

I personally didn't have THAT much of a problem with the snow hill. Sure, I fell and slid down maybe twice, which was pretty annoying, but then I just decided I'd just run past all the enemies 'til I got to the top, and that worked pretty well. It's a badly designed section, for sure, which RE6 is rife with, but it's not super difficult to overcome.

But, hey, maybe I just got lucky and I'll run into more trouble when I play through it again as Sherry.

Maybe I was just lucky, but I played the snow mountain part on professional and I didn't have any trouble. I was confused for a while about where to go, but I think I simply ended up using LB to figure where the objectives are.

I have one hilarious memory of that level. I was playing coop and there's this one bridge which looks like it's ready to collapse any moment but it's completely safe to walk on. Just to mess with my friend I thought I'd put a remote bomb on the bridge and explode it as he walks on it to surprise him. I did that... and the bridge gets destroyed in the explosion and my coop partner falls to his death! I couldn't stop laughing when that happened, I had no idea the bridge could be destroyed.

Hah! That's awesome.

I got lucky during the snowstorm part myself, I wasn't even aware you could wind up sliding down after being hit by an enemy (not to excuse that particular design decision), so I basically came away from that section thinking it was a pretty cool idea. Guess that sums up RE6, though; some great ideas hampered by some really glaring flaws. I can't help but wonder what could have been.

fernoca

Hahaha...sounds awesome. Never thought of that! XD
Would've been awesome sicne my friend was kinda freaked out by that part.

Anyway, just finished the 3 main campaigns yesterday (and twice, a second time with my friend in coop). Overall, I enjoyed it more than RE5; which I really liekd and replayed a lot. Though, as my friend said: There were more deaths during QTEs than during the actual game/bosses. :p

Some of Leon's chapters felt like playing the RE2 intro; really cool. Leon may not be my favorite character (Team Chris! <3!) but his chapters were. Also enjoyed Chris and Jake's; so is not like I had problems with the mroe shooter-like Chris chapters or the more...experiemtnal/melee ones from Jake.

Still have "some stuff" to do and play, but yeah some of those negatives reviews I'd say are too negative. I know they're supposed to show what the reviewer felt while playing the game; but some (like Gamespot's 4) are like the reviewer was really pissed off at failing the QTEs one too many times and decided to review the game right there. Heck, same thine happened to my friend: whenever there were QTEs that he hated (like teh ones to climb were you hold both shoulders) he started saying "Damn this fucking bullshit game..fuck it..it sucks!"...to then said "whoa, I think thsi is my favorite RE game". The game is not perfect, but is not the disaster many are making it out to be (neither is a bad game).

Neiteio

Whaaa? In what part of Jake's campaign could you fall down an "ice hill?" I don't recall encountering this.

Also, Sectus: Glad to see a Solo Helena 1 Mercs run. So far my favorite character to use in Mercs (though admittedly, haven't unlocked Sherry, Piers,
Ada
and
Carla
yet). I've Duo S-ranked the default forms of the other characters so far, though.

A question: How do I link up to RE.net?

And a declaration: Urban Chaos is one of the greatest Mercs maps in the history of The Mercenaries.

:)

Top Bottom