• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Nemesis_

I haven't noticed too many glitches.

The worst was when I was paying with iladnynmynm and I noticed there was a lot of lag and such.

Does MT Framework still perform differently between the platforms? A lot of the graphical glitches could be due to that as well.

I just haven't had as much bad luck as everyone seems to be having. I've yet to have any connection issues, yet to have clipping issues (bar Helena) and have certainly yet to have any issues with the QTEs (besides the stupid climbing one). I also had little to no trouble completing the game on Professional on my first run. Maybe since I sunk so many hours into RE4 and RE5 or something? I don't know, I just don't get the complaints (and I certainly see no need for infinite ammo either =/)

But I guess I'm in the minority.

I think considering the scope and scale of this game, it's rather polished. More so than what you'd expect on a development cycle like this one.

Vamphuntr

These things should be removed altogether IMO. The vehicle sequences in particular were painful/sleep inducing the first time, on repeat play they become almost unbearable. I'm sure the idea is for these set pieces to act as a palate cleanser, but they just make me want to stop playing. More focus on creating varied encounters using the core combat mechanics would be the way to go.

Maybe they are less annoying with an AI partner though. In coop they were simply dreadful. We died so many times in that stupid
snowmobile
event because we had no idea how to evade the avalanches. I guess with the AI you can simply have it take the lead and follow him.

The chases where a boss follow you were annoying in splitscreen too since both of you can fail. Especially the one in
Chris Chapter 5
. We had many glitches here during the whole sequence where one of the screen would get locked showing the boss or a shutter closing down.

It seems they didn't build some of these events having a human partner in mind. Some also have touchy scripts and timing. Jake's chapter 3 was also irritating in coop since you have no idea about what to do.

The only coop gimmick I enjoyed were both in Chris' episode. I enjoyed
the part where you snipe and cover Chris crossing the bridge to rescue the BSAA members and the part where Piers is on the ground while Chris is in the jet as I was playing Piers in both
Both of these were fairly enjoyable and were not nebulous or frustrating.

I'll probably give the game another go in singleplayer when it will hit the bargain bin to see if it's less annoying this way. I just don't think it's bad game. I didn't enjoy it because of these scripted events but the gameplay is fine once you master all of the basic commands.

Afrocious

Trying to unlock
Carla
in Mercenaries.
Piers
is not helping at all. Managed to pull a C on Steel Beast. I've never survived a round with him on Urban Chaos, and I imagine him being next to useless in Mining the Depths.

:/

So much for getting that last costume so far.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
iladnynmynm

lol

Actually thinking back, I had a pretty funny glitch today. I was on Chris 2 playing as Piers, and as I was making my way up to the bridge this J'avo comes running towards me. I pop him in the face and go for a melee which sends him flying backwards. He falls down onto a set of girders that have maybe a few centimeters of space between them, and somehow he manages to slip between the girders and fall to his doom. I thought that was pretty funny.

Trying to unlock
Carla
in Mercenaries.
Piers
is not helping at all. Managed to pull a C on Steel Beast. I've never survived a round with him on Urban Chaos, and I imagine him being next to useless in Mining the Depths.

Nascar Piers is beastly. If you're trying to unlock costumes do it in co-op, it's much easier than trying it solo, especially with Ada whose loadout sucks a big one.

Nemesis_

lol

Actually thinking back, I had a pretty funny glitch today. I was on Chris 2 playing as Piers, and as I was making my way up to the bridge this J'avo comes running towards me. I pop him in the face and go for a melee which sends him flying backwards. He falls down onto a set of girders that have maybe a few centimeters of space between them, and somehow he manages to slip between the girders and fall to his doom. I thought that was pretty funny.

It surprises me that they bothered to actually look at those fine details (Ie. separating the girders as separate object rather than just treating them as a solid item) in this game. There's a few moments where I've noticed stuff like that (like being able to jump over almost anything and crouch slide under almost anything.)

Yet we still can't jump over the desk next to the metal detector.

#RIP

I don't get the Ada hate, you just need to learn how to use her. Pinning most enemies to the ground with her crossbow is also a god send for those easy melee kills or to help friends out if you're playing a co-op match. I love her ;_;

Bladenic

Trying to unlock
Carla
in Mercenaries.
Piers

How do you unlock
Carla for Mercs

Afrocious

You have to unlock all the other characters and she will show up (Chris, Leon, Jake, Sherry, Piers, Helena, Ada).

I don't think that's necessary actually.

I'm going by what I read off of GameFAQs. I have every character except for her, but only one doesn't have his costume,
Piers
. Because he sucks
or I'm terrible and shitty.

Sojgat

That's funny, I really enjoyed all the vehicle sequences. To each his own I suppose, but I did like that they were low stress alternative gameplay sequences where you could just turn your brain off and enjoy the spectacle.

Maybe they could still do them, but make them more connected to the main gameplay, the example that comes to mind is the final Warthog section in Halo CE. It's still a linear driving sequence, but you can get dumped out of the vehicle and fight using the standard FPS mechanics. I just don't feel engaged by most of the driving sections in RE6, I would rather watch an extended cutscene of a big car chase than play it in this game.

Maybe they are less annoying with an AI partner though. In coop they were simply dreadful. We died so many times in that stupid
snowmobile
event because we had no idea how to evade the avalanches. I guess with the AI you can simply have it take the lead and follow him.

The chases where a boss follow you were annoying in splitscreen too since both of you can fail. Especially the one in
Chris Chapter 5
. We had many glitches here during the whole sequence where one of the screen would get locked showing the boss or a shutter closing down.

It seems they didn't build some of these events having a human partner in mind. Some also have touchy scripts and timing. Jake's chapter 3 was also irritating in coop since you have no idea about what to do.

The only coop gimmick I enjoyed were both in Chris' episode. I enjoyed
the part where you snipe and cover Chris crossing the bridge to rescue the BSAA members and the part where Piers is on the ground while Chris is in the jet as I was playing Piers in both
Both of these were fairly enjoyable and were not nebulous or frustrating.

I'll probably give the game another go in singleplayer when it will hit the bargain bin to see if it's less annoying this way. I just don't think it's bad game. I didn't enjoy it because of these scripted events but the gameplay is fine once you master all of the basic commands.

I agree. These are some of the best uses of the co-op stuff in the game. All the characters have unique tools (some more so, such as Piers's rifle) and encounters could take better advantage of this stuff. Some more areas where the player feels like they actually need a partner to survive/complete a task would help, a lot of the time it feels like one player is just standing there while the other does the important stuff. I found the game is far less irritating in SP ( the exact opposite of RE5), the partner AI can't die outside of a couple chase sequences, and you don't get those weird glitches.

Bladenic

Oh okay, still need to unlock Leon, Piers, and Ada alts then. Chris has been my favorite so far to play as in Mercs, both OG and Samurai. So beastly. Played with a random for over an hour today, we owned the hell out of Urban Chaos (him as Leon, me as Samurai Chris) and got a 150 combo and over a million points. Felt so damn good. Helena, Jake and Sherry were also pretty fun to play as, haven't played as their alts yet but School Sherry's loadout seems awesome. Urban Chaos is definitely the most fun stage, though Mines was fun too. Steel Beast is way too large though, we only got an A rank on it with like 205k. We Sed the others multiple times.

Also played a lot of co-op today, so much fun. I'm finding a whole new love for this game now with co-op and especially Mercs. Played some Agent Hunt but didn't care for it that much.

Edit: I have all the characters but I still don't have her.

Afrocious

Also, has anyone come up with some tiers/rankings for the Merc characters? Here's my rundown from those I've played with so far. Placement in each list are done in no specific order.

High tier:
Chris
Sherry EX
Sherry

Mid Tier:
Ada
Helena
Leon
Leon EX
Jake? (feel like he should be higher cause I've seen people with high scores using him in the leaderboards, but haven't seen how people play him.)

Shit tier:
Piers
Ada on Urban Chaos.

Someone throw in
Carla
and the other costumes if you've played them, then reorganize all this based on your experiences. I'm very curious about what others think.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm maybe you do need to unlock all the costumes then? I don't think I had Ada's costume when I unlocked it but I could be wrong.

As far as tiers, I keep repeating myself but I would say these are in my top tier:

Chris
Sherry EX
Carla

They all have guns that are good for setting up melees, they have an alternate weapon that is great for taking out bosses or tough enemies, and both their melees are one-hit-kills. For that last point, some characters won't kill an enemy if you shoot the head and then go for a melee from the back, which is annoying since you then have to run up and bash their head in. With these three it's an instakill, you get your +5 seconds and can move on. I might add Jake to this list too but I haven't played with him enough.

Afrocious

Oh okay, still need to unlock Leon, Piers, and Ada alts then. Chris has been my favorite so far to play as in Mercs, both OG and Samurai. So beastly. Played with a random for over an hour today, we owned the hell out of Urban Chaos (him as Leon, me as Samurai Chris) and got a 150 combo and over a million points. Felt so damn good. Helena, Jake and Sherry were also pretty fun to play as, haven't played as their alts yet but School Sherry's loadout seems awesome. Urban Chaos is definitely the most fun stage, though Mines was fun too. Steel Beast is way too large though, we only got an A rank on it with like 205k. We Sed the others multiple times.

Also played a lot of co-op today, so much fun. I'm finding a whole new love for this game now with co-op and especially Mercs. Played some Agent Hunt but didn't care for it that much.

Edit: I have all the characters but I still don't have her.

Do you have every character's costume?

Bladenic

Hmm maybe you do need to unlock all the costumes then? I don't think I had Ada's costume when I unlocked it but I could be wrong.

As far as tiers, I keep repeating myself but I would say these are in my top tier:

Chris
Sherry EX
Carla

They all have guns that are good for setting up melees, they have an alternate weapon that is great for taking out bosses or tough enemies, and both their headshot melees are one-hit-kills. For that last point, some characters won't kill an enemy if you shoot the head and then go for a melee from the back, which is annoying since you then have to run up and bash their head in. With these three it's an instakill, you get your +5 seconds and can move on. I might add Jake to this list too but I haven't played with him enough.

Chris EX too, imo. His load isn't as good as OG Chris but he's still Chris.

Ken

Chris
Sherry EX
Carla

They all have guns that are good for setting up melees, they have an alternate weapon that is great for taking out bosses or tough enemies, and both their melees are one-hit-kills. For that last point, some characters won't kill an enemy if you shoot the head and then go for a melee from the back, which is annoying since you then have to run up and bash their head in. With these three it's an instakill, you get your +5 seconds and can move on. I might add Jake to this list too but I haven't played with him enough.

Who? If you're staggering them all special animation melees should insta-kill.

Replicant

Arrghhhhh! Has RE.net been updating for any of you guys? I haven't got any updates for days now. It keeps saying that I've only completed Chris 1 on Professional but I've done a lot more. I've done Chris 2, Jake 1 + 2, Ada 1, and Leon 1 all on Pro.

Sojgat

Also, has anyone come up with some tiers/rankings for the Merc characters? Here's my rundown from those I've played with so far. Placement in each list are done in no specific order.

High tier:
Chris
Sherry EX
Sherry

Mid Tier:
Ada
Leon
Leon EX
Jake? (feel like he should be higher cause I've seen people with high scores using him in the leaderboards, but haven't seen how people play him.)

Shit tier:
Piers
Ada on Urban Chaos.

Someone throw in
Carla
and the other costumes if you've played them, then reorganize all this based on your experiences. I'm very curious about what others think.

Use Piers's Anti-Material Rifle for quick shotting (also for destroying large enemies from a distance, lay on the ground to stabalize the scope) and his MP-AF on semi auto to set up coup de gras. His default is probably the best Mercs character after default Chris IMO.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Who? If you're staggering them all special animation melees should insta-kill.

I definitely remember playing as someone whose melee didn't kill outright, but I can't for the life of me remember right now. Piers? Leon? I have no idea, I'd have to go back and check.

Or maybe I'm confusing Mercenaries and campaign.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Why is RE4 out of the question?

Btw, do anyone got avatar safe fanart for Jill and RE6 Sherry that's not from Eroquis or Sawao? Its getting hard to find. :(

This one time I was looking for some Jill images to make a new avatar... and uh... safe search will be ON in the future.

People are so fucking weird man.

Afrocious

Chris
Sherry EX
Carla

You explained one reason why I can't stand using Piers. His Anti-Material rifle is fun, but setting up kills involves too much investment if you're trying to conserve handgum ammo. Going into single shot mode makes whatever the other gun he has weak requiring about three shots to the head for a stun. Better hope you don't get that QTE setup where he does that kick also. Hell it takes two shots in that mode to kill a dog.

Perhaps one thing to do with him is to just not use single shot mode for the setups, perhaps always shoot the enemy's arm to turn them around for the neck breaker, and keep that going?

Finished Chris and Piers campaign earlier today...
In the beginning, I felt Piers was completely expendable since he was new in the series, but by the end he was the biggest bro. Really sad they killed him off...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You explained one reason why I can't stand using Piers. His Anti-Material rifle is fun, but setting up kills involves too much investment if you're trying to conserve handgum ammo. Going into single shot mode makes whatever the other gun he has weak requiring about three shots to the head for a stun. Better hope you don't get that QTE setup where he does that kick also. Hell it takes two shots in that mode to kill a dog.

Perhaps one thing to do with him is to just not use single shot mode for the setups, perhaps always shoot the enemy's arm to turn them around for the neck breaker, and keep that going?

The weapon I can't stand is that pathetic machine pistol that takes like 3 shots to the face or arm to stagger. I can't stand it, plus it's aimed from the hip so the angle at which the laser points at the enemies is weird and throws off my aim completely. Is that what Piers uses? I thought he had an assault rifle? But yeah the sniper is weird because you have to go into first person mode to hit anything, which slows you down. His quickshot with that is brutal though.

With Chris I always go for arm stuns, since his neck breaker move is super fast and effective. Doesn't work as well on J'avo though, so I prefer Sherry EX or
Carla.

That's how I pronounce it... or something like that anyway. Really, it's a little different every time.

ROFL! Here's a pronunciation guide: ill (like Bill) nad (like Glad) me (like Me).

Xevren

I definitely remember playing as someone whose melee didn't kill outright, but I can't for the life of me remember right now. Piers? Leon? I have no idea, I'd have to go back and check.

Or maybe I'm confusing Mercenaries and campaign.

Sounds like you only did a light and not a heavy daze. Some weapons are weaker than others, especially Piers machine gun. Takes more shot from it to cause a heavy stagger for the one shot melee kill.

I don't like Piers at all in mercs because I think his machine gun is complete ass. Rather take someone that can cause a heavy stagger for sure on a headshot.

Ken

I sure would love numerical stats for all the weapons like Mercenaries 3D had.

Sounds like you only did a light and not a heavy daze. Some weapons are weaker than others, especially Piers machine gun. Takes more shot from it to cause a heavy stagger for the one shot melee kill.

I don't like Piers at all in mercs because I think his machine gun is complete ass. Rather take someone that can cause a heavy stagger for sure on a headshot.

I think in general assault rifles/machine guns take more hits to daze while pistols usually only take one shot. That or pistols just have a higher critical chance than rifles.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of which, is there a surefire way to set up a coup-de-grace? Those things look cool as heck and give you +7 seconds, but I don't know how to set them up.

Afrocious

Speaking of which, is there a surefire way to set up a coup-de-grace? Those things look cool as heck and give you +7 seconds, but I don't know how to set them up.

I've always wondered how I got those. I'm either getting +5 from stomping/meleeing enemies or +10 from counter kills.

Evolved1

Depends what you're shooting at... for zeds a solid shoulder shot will give you the heavy stun and coup-de-grace (speaking of things I cannot pronounce).

The J'avo I'm just not consistent with it. I get it sometimes using the reverse-melee to set up a heavy stun...

Got to the 4th campaign this game is great im really enjoying it. Playing Split Screen local is definitely the way to go play this with friends its great. Discovering everything you can do in this game without a manual was pretty satisfying. Definitely like this version of Mercs better wish there were more maps though. I like that killing enemies with Melee maneuvers gives you +time on the timer. One question though is there any reason to play the game on professional?

Evolved1

Got to the 4th campaign this game is great im really enjoying it. Discovering everything you can do in this game without a manual was pretty satisfying. Definitely like this version of Mercs better wish there were more maps though. I like that killing enemies with Melee maneuvers gives you +5 on the timer. One question though is there any reason to play the game on professional?

It's a little harder, big stuff is harder to kill and you get one-shotted a lot more... but if you don't care about achievements/trophies... I guess not.

Sojgat

My trick with Piers is to quick shot an enemy, then when they are bent over stunned, tap another round into the head/neck area to put them in the headshot stun state for the melee coup de gras. You just have to keep switching the fire modes when you hear dogs, or when you're on your back.

Headshot stun state with good single shots, or the little trick I mentioned above. depending on the angle you get different ones, with Chris front is pick up and slam, rear is neck snap, while continuing a melee chain (on spun enemy) will give the falcon punch. Quick shot or double melee only puts an enemy in the dazed/doubled over stun state.

Edit: Spin stun setup is the elbow from behind, which is why that move is so important (flash grenades also work).

Double Edit: Sorry, I thought all the heavy Melee finishers were called coup de grace, but to do those you have to wait for the end of the spin stun animation, the enemy will slump at the end, then melee and you will perform the coup de grace to get a 7 second bonus.

It's a little harder, big stuff is harder to kill and you get one-shotted a lot more... but if you don't care about achievements/trophies... I guess not.

Ah i see thanks Ill probably do a run. Anybody have a full list of unlockables?

edit: just found a list thanks for the info guys

Bladenic

Got to the 4th campaign this game is great im really enjoying it. Playing Split Screen local is definitely the way to go play this with friends its great. Discovering everything you can do in this game without a manual was pretty satisfying. Definitely like this version of Mercs better wish there were more maps though. I like that killing enemies with Melee maneuvers gives you +time on the timer. One question though is there any reason to play the game on professional?

Only for the trophies, really. It's not that hard at all though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Headshot stun state with good single shots, or the little trick I mentioned above. depending on the angle you get different ones, with Chris front is pick up and slam, rear is neck snap, while continuing a melee chain (on spun enemy) will give the falcon punch. Quick shot or double melee only puts an enemy in the dazed/doubled over stun state.

Edit: Spin stun setup is the elbow from behind, which is why that move is so important (flash grenades also work).

I can do those, they aren't coup-de-graces though. The coup-de-grace is Helena's dropkick or Jake's karate kick where he raises his leg up then slams it down onto the stunned enemy. They give you 7 seconds instead of 5, and you'll know when an enemy is set up for it because their head will be lowered, and the J'avo will be down on a knee.

This one time I was looking for some Jill images to make a new avatar... and uh... safe search will be ON in the future.

Jill_Valentine_Gun_by_rockachica2.jpg

not sure if sexy

Sojgat

I can do those, they aren't coup-de-graces though. The coup-de-grace is Helena's dropkick or Jake's karate kick where he raises his leg up then slams it down onto the stunned enemy. They give you 7 seconds instead of 5, and you'll know when an enemy is set up for it because their head will be lowered, and the J'avo will be down on a knee.

Oh, you're right I never noticed that, sorry. So you just seem to have to wait until they come to the end of the spin state, they slump over a bit at the end of the animation then it works every time for seven points/seconds. Wow.

Esura

Banned

Not going to lie, I like their work but I just want a NeoGAF safe...well forum safe in general fan art for once. lol

They're just jealous because she's getting that Leon diq hard while they and their fave self-insert RE female characters are not getting any from him.

Ada should just go for a real man, like Chris instead of Leon.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I still find it absolutely fascinating how polarizing opinions on individual elements of the game are between people. Som love some sections, others hate them. Makes for very interesting conversation.

I actually really liked RE6's soundtrack, I have a 'Resident Evil Soundtrack Tier' I keep for myself, and as it currently stands:

TIER 1:
-Resident Evil Darkside Chonicles
-Resident Evil Revelations
-Resident Evil Outbreak series

TIER 2:
-Resident Evil 6
-Resident Evil 2
-Resident Evil Code Veronica
-Resident Evil REmake

TIER 3:
-Resident Evil 5
-Resident Evil Zero
-Resident Evil 3
-Resident Evil 4

TIER 4:
-Resident Evil 1 (original)
-Resident Evil Dead Aim
-Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
-Resident Evil Pachi Slot

-Everything else is below these-

Bladenic

I still find it absolutely fascinating how polarizing opinions on individual elements of the game are between people. Som love some sections, others hate them. Makes for very interesting conversation.

I actually really liked RE6's soundtrack, I have a 'Resident Evil Soundtrack Tier' I keep for myself, and as it currently stands:

TIER 1:
-Resident Evil Darkside Chonicles
-Resident Evil Revelations
-Resident Evil Outbreak series

TIER 2:
-Resident Evil 6
-Resident Evil 2
-Resident Evil Code Veronica
-Resident Evil REmake

TIER 3:
-Resident Evil 5
-Resident Evil Zero
-Resident Evil 3
-Resident Evil 4

TIER 4:
-Resident Evil 1 (original)
-Resident Evil Dead Aim
-Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
-Resident Evil Pachi Slot

-Everything else is below these-

RE5 Tier 3?

upsidedownface0mj.gif

mernst23

After finishing Jake's campaign and now being 3/5ths done with Chris's I'm going to update my previous assessment of this game being a stinky dog turd to servicable if I have nothing better to do. I was out of town all last week for business otherwise i'd have the campaigns beaten by now, but the game's chapters are sooooo long. Such a meh game.

DeVeAn

Finished all campaigns finally. There are so many cheap instant deaths and the vehicles suck. I tried but, it's not a great game. I can see mercs being good though.

Top Bottom