• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
RE5 Tier 3?

upsidedownface0mj.gif

There are some absolute stand-out tracks, such as the orchestral pieces and some of the in-game music. But I felt that a lot of the music in RE5 was filler. I actually own several of the RE soundtracks, and over half of the music on the RE5 disk I find to be fairly forgettable. They fit for what they need to do, but isn't exactly music I'd listen to outside of the game's context. There's also a big lack of RE style haunting music, or beautiful music guised with atmosphere. What RE5's soundtrack excels at is the epic orchestra soundtracks, a few stand-out monster action songs, and the Mercenaries music (though my favorite, Mercenaries Reunion, isn't included on the soundtrack. :( ).

Sojgat

I still find it absolutely fascinating how polarizing opinions on individual elements of the game are between people. Som love some sections, others hate them. Makes for very interesting conversation.

I actually really liked RE6's soundtrack, I have a 'Resident Evil Soundtrack Tier' I keep for myself, and as it currently stands:

TIER 1:
-Resident Evil Darkside Chonicles
-Resident Evil Revelations
-Resident Evil Outbreak series

TIER 2:
-Resident Evil 6
-Resident Evil 2
-Resident Evil Code Veronica
-Resident Evil REmake

TIER 3:
-Resident Evil 5
-Resident Evil Zero
-Resident Evil 3
-Resident Evil 4

TIER 4:
-Resident Evil 1 (original)
-Resident Evil Dead Aim
-Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
-Resident Evil Pachi Slot

-Everything else is below these-

I like the soundtrack too, only some parts seem really plodding and tiresome. For example the music during the early parts of Chris's chapter 2, is just so heavy and repetitive, that I had to turn it all the way down. Most of the time it's pretty good stuff though.

Dusk Golem

I like the soundtrack too, only some parts seem really plodding and tiresome. For example the music during the early parts of Chris's chapter 2, is just so heavy and repetitive, that I had to turn it all the way down. Most of the time it's pretty good stuff though.

Not all of the music in RE6 is masterful, but I find I like almost all of the music in the game, and while I definitely will buy the soundtrack when it comes out, in the meantime my game rip is absolutely huge and I like most of it. I don't think the game has as good orchestra epic songs as RE5 (as I was mentioning that earlier in comparison), but I felt that a lot of the in-game music was much more interesting.

I also think a different musician did each campaign, the credits list four main composers and I've noticed that all four campaigns have very differently styled music. Leon's is more gothic and quiet, sort of giving me a RE4/REmake vibe, Chris's I think was composed by whoever did the RE5 main area music as they have a lot of similarities but I actually think he did more of the in-game action set-piece moments better (probably since here he gave the music a more.. Military-esque edge, while in RE5 they were trying to capture music to fit Africa). There were more fights in RE6 Chris's campaign where the music stood out to me. Jake's is incredibly different, with weird instruments that give it an almost jazzy sort of feel. Ada's is more ambient techno that breaks into more spy-like action beats, really reminiscent of her music in RE4's sub-campaign.

I had a 127 combo with about 4 minutes left with Sherry Costume 2 at Urban Chaos only to be trampled by 2 whoppers from behind and die =( I still had 2 first aid sprays and 4 herbs too. Note to self, always keep your health at max!

Daigoro

i downloaded the RE.net app for my phone. its a bit rough but pretty cool to have.

they just need to get the whole thing ironed out. hopefully they get it straight eventually.

I had a 127 combo with about 4 minutes left with Sherry Costume 2 at Urban Chaos only to be trampled by 2 whoppers from behind and die =( I still had 2 first aid sprays and 4 herbs too. Note to self, always keep your health at max!

yeah its a good tip. you can get combo'd to death easily if youre not careful.

lawful

Banned
This game is long as hell. Overall the game is incredibly fun. Crazy way over-the-top action in every level. Graphics are incredible.

I really don't care that it's not in-line with past Resident Evil's. I thought it was complete bullshit that I couldn't run and shoot in RE5. In 2009 for crying out loud.

I think they should have gone a step further and threw in regenerating health. I can't believe I'm still wasting inventory slots on herbs and health sprays. Get with the times Capcom. It's not even like you throw many of these items at me in the game anyway. Less item managing, more run and gun please.

RE7 should go full blown FPS.

DonMigs85

This game is long as hell. Overall the game is incredibly fun. Crazy way over-the-top action in every level. Graphics are incredible.

I really don't care that it's not in-line with past Resident Evil's. I thought it was complete bullshit that I couldn't run and shoot in RE5. In 2009 for crying out loud.

I think they should have gone a step further and threw in regenerating health. I can't believe I'm still wasting inventory slots on herbs and health sprays. Get with the times Capcom. It's not even like you throw many of these items at me in the game anyway. Less item managing, more run and gun please.

Hell no

Riposte

Health being a valuable resource is an important reason why "run and gun" in RE6 is fun.

Dusk Golem

I know you're just trolling here, but you can't run and shoot in RE6 either. Its like Revelations, you can move at a fairly slow pace and shoot. Part of what makes RE fun for me is the more adventure game elements, which while the game is more linear is actually still present. I enjoy the mix-match of action divided by slower moments and variety. If there's anything you an say for RE6, it definitely doesn't lack variety.

fionel

My bad if this has been asked before, but is there word for an upcoming patch that allows agent hunts during private co-op sessions? I don't like playing co-op with randoms and it feels like My co-op partner and I are missing on the agent hunt fun.

Daigoro

decent looking Mercs guide here: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=5328841&posted=1#post5328841

some good info on the requirements for secret bosses-

Urban Chaos: Napad - Kill 15 enemies with counters before you've killed 80 enemies.

Steel Beast: Gnezdo - Defeat 25 enemies with coup de grace attacks before you've killed 80 enemies

Mining the Depths: Strelats - Kill 70 enemies before 600 seconds have elapsed.

also you get a bonus for killing the boss at any time, but the higher the combo you have, the better the bonus. so obviously saving it for last would get you the best bonus, but you can still get a nice score by just saving it as long as you can while keeping the combo going.

but obviously you cant just wait till the very end to activate it. so it would take some real work to save it for last.

Afrocious

decent looking Mercs guide here: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=5328841&posted=1#post5328841

some good info on the requirements for secret bosses-

also you get a bonus for killing the boss at any time, but the higher the combo you have, the better the bonus. so obviously saving it for last would get you the best bonus, but you can still get a nice score by just saving it as long as you can while keeping the combo going.

but obviously you cant just wait till the very end to activate it. so it would take some real work to save it for last.

This just opened up a whole new way to play Mercs for me. Wow.

Those three enemies are going to be a pain to try to keep alive til the end, especially the Napad and the Strelat.

Esura

Banned

You know, I was with you somewhat until you said it should be a FPS.

I'm a huge fan of RE5 and 6 how they currently are but I wouldn't mind regenerating health. Moving while shooting isn't too big of a requirement for me as I still find myself stopping completely so I can get a good aim in. But yeah, I can dig RE7 with RE6 gameplay but with regenerating health though.

So.......I haven't seen an answer to this anywhere yet, but how exactly do you access the extra mercenaries maps that were pre-order bonuses once you've downloaded them? I had the one from amazon, downloaded it, and it doesn't show up anywhere in my map selection screen. I'm guessing there's still some other requirement I have to fulfill to actually play it?

Hellix

I still find it absolutely fascinating how polarizing opinions on individual elements of the game are between people. Som love some sections, others hate them. Makes for very interesting conversation.

I actually really liked RE6's soundtrack, I have a 'Resident Evil Soundtrack Tier' I keep for myself, and as it currently stands:

TIER 1:
-Resident Evil Darkside Chonicles
-Resident Evil Revelations
-Resident Evil Outbreak series

TIER 2:
-Resident Evil 6
-Resident Evil 2
-Resident Evil Code Veronica
-Resident Evil REmake

TIER 3:
-Resident Evil 5
-Resident Evil Zero
-Resident Evil 3
-Resident Evil 4

TIER 4:
-Resident Evil 1 (original)
-Resident Evil Dead Aim
-Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
-Resident Evil Pachi Slot

-Everything else is below these-

The real question is: which had the best save room music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7IIedR_UfE

Synless

Regenerating health? FPS? God no!!! Those are some of the worst ideas I have ever seen mentioned for a RE game. Regenerating health would be the final kick in the nuts, killing all thats left of the games difficulty.

Jawmuncher

There are some absolute stand-out tracks, such as the orchestral pieces and some of the in-game music. But I felt that a lot of the music in RE5 was filler. I actually own several of the RE soundtracks, and over half of the music on the RE5 disk I find to be fairly forgettable. They fit for what they need to do, but isn't exactly music I'd listen to outside of the game's context. There's also a big lack of RE style haunting music, or beautiful music guised with atmosphere. What RE5's soundtrack excels at is the epic orchestra soundtracks, a few stand-out monster action songs, and the Mercenaries music (though my favorite, Mercenaries Reunion, isn't included on the soundtrack. :( ).

I absolutely agree with Outbreak.
Some of the best music from the series, the opening song in 1 alone was spectacular.
Also RE5 i'd bump up for the sole reason of Rust in Summer 08, song was great for slayers.
Brought a smile to my face when I heard it in Mercenaries 3D

Sojgat

how to do coup de grace

-flash grande
-headshot then slide and melee
-quickshot then slide and melee
-Saving your partner while they're grabbed
-Behind the enemy, do the RT > RTcombo and you'll get the prompt.

So this is from the Mercs guide that was linked to, but I've been experimenting and found more. As I said before the key is to get the enemy to the end of the spin animation. So basically, you need to stun an enemy twice before they recover from the first stun to trigger the spin stun. Also to get the coup de grace you must either be facing the enemy's front or front side at the end of the animation when they are slumped/on their knee.

1 stage spin stun
-flash grenade
-reverse elbow
-save partner while grabbed (does the coup de grace)
-RT>RT combo from behind enemy

2 stage stun
-headshot then slide into feet or dash melee
-quickshot then slide into feet or dash melee
-shoulder shots to turn enemy then slide into feet or dash melee
-dash melee then slide into feet (this is one of the most effective and easy ways to do it)
-slide into feet twice in a row (easier said then done on the 2nd slide)
-dash melee twice in a row (not very useful because you need a slight run up)
-RT>RT combo from behind or side (can be done even when the enemy is already in a first stage stun, trick is to hit them with the 2nd attack so not to activate a heavy finisher)

the only thing to note is using a dash melee for the 2nd attack in 2 phase stun has a chance of killing the enemy outright rather then spinning them.

Damn it I love this game.

I'm still sad about that run I had that ended in death. I was playing out of my mind and had some really lucky spots as well. I think I had about 4 counter kills that killed everyone in the area that resulted in +45 seconds each time. Screw the BSAA zombies too. They usually take multiple melees to kill and if you shoot them in the head from behind they lean over and you have to get in front of them just to shoot their head again. Damn mercenaries, so fun yet so frustrating.

Sojgat

I'm still sad about that run I had that ended in death. I was playing out of my mind and had some really lucky spots as well. I think I had about 4 counter kills that killed everyone in the area that resulted in +45 seconds each time. Screw the BSAA zombies too. They take multiple melees to kill and if you shoot them in the head from behind they lean over and you have to get in front of them just to shoot their head again. Damn mercenaries, so fun yet so frustrating.

I hate them too, I just shoot them in the legs/crotch whenever I don't have an easy head shot (stupid armored douchebags).

Sojgat

Here are the requirements for the DLC maps bosses from the RE.net forums.

Rail Yard - 25 Quick shot kills before 80 kills (Ubistvo)

High Sea Fortress - 40 melee kills before 80 kills (Gnezdo)

Catacombs - 20 Quick Shot Kills - (Strelat)

Edit: arrghh double post

Nemesis_

Ahh, okay. I've definitely had the Strelat appear on the Catacombs before.

Gnezdo is such a terrible boss, so easily defeated.

Daigoro

So this is from the Mercs guide that was linked to, but I've been experimenting and found more. As I said before the key is to get the enemy to the end of the spin animation. So basically, you need to stun an enemy twice before they recover from the first stun to trigger the spin stun. Also to get the coup de grace you must either be facing the enemy's front or front side at the end of the animation when they are slumped/on their knee.

1 stage spin stun
-flash grenade
-reverse elbow

2 stage stun
-headshot then slide into feet or slide melee
-quickshot then slide into feet or slide melee
-shoulder shots to turn enemy then slide into feet or slide melee
-slide melee then slide into feet (this is one of the most effective and easy ways to do it)
-slide melee twice in a row (not very useful because you need a slight run up)
-RT>RT combo from behind or side (can be done even when the enemy is already in a first stage stun, trick is to hit them with the 2nd attack so not to activate a heavy finisher)

the only thing to note is using a slide melee for the 2nd attack in 2 phase stun has a chance of killing the enemy outright rather then spinning them.

damn i meant to post the coup de grace info as well. thanks.

what do you mean when you say slide into feet? whats the difference between that and a regular slide?

I absolutely agree with Outbreak.
Some of the best music from the series, the opening song in 1 alone was spectacular.
Also RE5 i'd bump up for the sole reason of Rust in Summer 08, song was great for slayers.
Brought a smile to my face when I heard it in Mercenaries 3D

Oh my god... Resident Evil 6 better get a Slayers mode with a "Rust in Summer 2012" theme now because I had totally forgotten about that and how awesome it was and now I am so disappointed there is not something similar in RE6

That damn song fills me with so much nostalgia I feel like I am going to explode

Bladenic

1 stage spin stun
-flash grenade
-reverse elbow

2 stage stun
-headshot then slide into feet or slide melee
-quickshot then slide into feet or slide melee
-shoulder shots to turn enemy then slide into feet or slide melee
-slide melee then slide into feet (this is one of the most effective and easy ways to do it)
-slide melee twice in a row (not very useful because you need a slight run up)

the only thing to note is using a slide melee for the 2nd attack in 2 phase stun has a chance of killing the enemy outright rather then spinning them.

I remember you being one of the most ardent haters when this game came out. And that's fine, opinions change. I really think this is a game that only gets more fun with time as you get better and discover more things.

Shame the reviewers never had a chance.

Sojgat

I remember you being one of the most ardent haters when this game came out. And that's fine, opinions change. I really think this is a game that only gets more fun with time as you get better and discover more things.

Shame the reviewers never had a chance.

Yup, I think RE6 makes a bad first impression, and it really had me hating it for a while. I had quite a severe reaction you could say. The more I play it however, the more I appreciate it. It's a real pity this game didn't have a bit more focus and polishing (a proper tutorial would have helped a lot) it could have been a masterpiece. The Mercs mode is just one of my favorite things ever though. I'll be picking up all the DLC for this, which is not something I would've thought after my first few hours with the game.

Feindflug

I started my second veteran playthroughs with the second characters, finished Leon's campaign yesterday with Helena at Veteran and I have to say that it felt awesome to get rid of the
various forms of the final boss
in Chapter 5 much quicker than the first time (helped also by a great Ada player in the
Dino form of Simmons
). I love Leon's campaign, this second playthrough was even more fun.

Started Chris's campaign with Piers again at Veteran and the first chapter was kinda annoying mainly because my character falls down too easy when shot by the J'avos, is there a way to counter that? maybe the defense skill? it got really annoying because I don't want to use cover. Other than that Chris chapter 2 and onwards the game is getting better and better and I am now at Chapter 4.

Also tried for the first time Agent Hunt yesterday which is really fun, also planning to do a serious attempt at Mercs today with Chris 2...I have something like 200.000points with him but I feel that I can do much better. The replay value of this game is insane, I have played ~50hrs and there's still Pro (and No Hope Left) difficulty to beat plus the extra modes. :)

Carbonox

those quicktime events in leon chapter 5 are stupid. Took me like 30 minutes to climb a freakin rope. I'm pissed!

It's a fucking sham that the Kunai Climb (Ninja Gaiden 3) is now in TWO games. Dumb as fucking ass cheek pizza that QTE is (in both games).

Whoever created it should be arrested.

So.......I haven't seen an answer to this anywhere yet, but how exactly do you access the extra mercenaries maps that were pre-order bonuses once you've downloaded them? I had the one from amazon, downloaded it, and it doesn't show up anywhere in my map selection screen. I'm guessing there's still some other requirement I have to fulfill to actually play it?

Mine was there right from the start. I hadn't finished anything when I first checked Mercs and the Urban Chaos map was selectable along with my dlc (Rail Yard from Best Buy.)

Tried redownloading it?

Sojgat

damn i meant to post the coup de grace info as well. thanks.

what do you mean when you say slide into feet? whats the difference between that and a regular slide?

What I should have wrote is dash melee, like the shoulder checks, etc. Thanks I'll change it all, slide melee what the F am I talking about sorry.

Edit: So just to be clear sliding into feet is just sliding at the enemy's feet.

T.O.P

Banned
I never died, I just got stuck in an infinite loop of climb and fall, climb and fall, climb and fall.

yeah, when i was like 4-5 meters from where i was supposed to climb to i usually went into panic-mode seeing the monster catching up so quickly and i kept fuckin it up lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally did Jake 2 chapter 2 and, once again, I don't see how reviewers had so much trouble. The infamous "ice slope"? Easy. I was expecting the WHOLE level to contain this type of hazard but it's just one small section. I actually loved that part where you're wandering through the blizzard. You can also hold L2 and the game will point you in the right direction if lost.

That said, there WAS one part in that chapter that gave me a difficult time and I felt was poorly designed. When going for a key later in the level you need to "distract" Ustanak using an explosive device. Unfortunately this requires you to place the device in just the right spot else Sherry dies. Took me three or four tries to find the right spot.

those quicktime events in leon chapter 5 are stupid. Took me like 30 minutes to climb a freakin rope. I'm pissed!
What the hell were you doing? As the graphic demonstrates, you HOLD both buttons while alternating between letting go and pressing the left and right. I'm stunned at the difficultly people are having with that.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, you're right I never noticed that, sorry. So you just seem to have to wait until they come to the end of the spin state, they slump over a bit at the end of the animation then it works every time for seven points/seconds. Wow.

Hmm so you're saying shoot them then in the shoulder then wait until they get to the very end of the animation and go for the melee? Interesting, I'll check that out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to defend something that people clearly find unintuitive, but if you follow the prompts exactly as they appear in the game you survive, you just move a little slower than you'd otherwise expect.

Sojgat

Hmm so you're saying shoot them then in the shoulder then wait until they get to the very end of the animation and go for the melee? Interesting, I'll check that out.

No that doesn't work, shooting them in the shoulder only turns them around. Shoot them in the shoulder so they turn, then slide into their feet or dash melee them, and they'll spin every time.

The key is to get the enemy to the end of the spin animation. So basically, you need to stun an enemy twice before they recover from the first stun to trigger the spin stun. Also to get the coup de grace you must either be facing the enemy's front or front side at the end of the animation when they are slumped/on their knee.

1 stage spin stun
-flash grenade
-reverse elbow

2 stage stun
-headshot then slide into feet or dash melee
-quickshot then slide into feet or dash melee
-shoulder shots to turn enemy then slide into feet or dash melee
-dash melee then slide into feet (this is one of the most effective and easy ways to do it)
-dash melee twice in a row (not very useful because you need a slight run up)

the only thing to note is using a dash melee for the 2nd attack in 2 phase stun has a chance of killing the enemy outright rather then spinning them.

Reposted because I edited what I had written to be clear.

Finally did Jake 2 chapter 2 and, once again, I don't see how reviewers had so much trouble. The infamous "ice slope"? Easy. I was expecting the WHOLE level to contain this type of hazard but it's just one small section. I actually loved that part where you're wandering through the blizzard. You can also hold L2 and the game will point you in the right direction if lost.

That said, there WAS one part in that chapter that gave me a difficult time and I felt was poorly designed. When going for a key later in the level you need to "distract" Ustanak using an explosive device. Unfortunately this requires you to place the device in just the right spot else Sherry dies. Took me three or four tries to find the right spot.

What the hell were you doing? As the graphic demonstrates, you HOLD both buttons while alternating between letting go and pressing the left and right. I'm stunned at the difficultly people are having with that.

It wasn't explained properly. I thought you had to hit both buttons alternating, but didn't know about holding it. It wasn't until I got fed up that Jake in his final chapter wasn't moving that
I googled it and found out you had to hold the buttons.

Trying to unlock
Carla
in Mercenaries.
Piers
is not helping at all. Managed to pull a C on Steel Beast. I've never survived a round with him on Urban Chaos, and I imagine him being next to useless in Mining the Depths.

:/

So much for getting that last costume so far.
Catacombs is Piers best map if you have it.

RPGCrazied

I'm going to be buying a game this week, should I wait for a price drop and get something else, or just go for it? I loved 4, and yes 5. I hear a lot of mixed reactions, but lately am hearing a lot of disappointments. Surely it can't be any worse than 5?

Top Bottom