• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

The_Monk

I'm going to be buying a game this week, should I wait for a price drop and get something else, or just go for it? I loved 4, and yes 5. I hear a lot of mixed reactions, but lately am hearing a lot of disappointments. Surely it can't be any worse than 5?

Download the demo and play the 3 pieces. Then see if it suits you. In my opinion you should not rely on opinions or reviews on the internet. Nothing better than your own opinion if you are not sure. ;)

I'm going to be buying a game this week, should I wait for a price drop and get something else, or just go for it? I loved 4, and yes 5. I hear a lot of mixed reactions, but lately am hearing a lot of disappointments. Surely it can't be any worse than 5?
Its hard to say because the opinions are so varied. Quantity wise there is more than full price's worth.
I personally liked it much more than 4&5.

Download the demo and play the 3 pieces. Then see if it suits you. In my opinion you should not rely on opinions or reviews on the internet. Nothing better than your own opinion if you are not sure. ;)
though its probably the only option I disagree, the demo didn't represent the full game at all imo.

Z3M0G

Has anyone been lucky enough to experience cross-over multiplayer moments yet? I'm getting none on my first play-through... With the way this game is set up, it feels like a one-in-a-million chance that you'll actually pair with a group in another campaign story at the very same moment on the same difficulty.

Sojgat

RE6 is not survival horror, it's an action game with very deep combat, experiment with it and don't try to play it like a cover shooter. The demo contains some of the worst sections of the game, but it will give you a good taste of the core gameplay, if you want to try it. I really hated RE6 at first, but now it's one of my favorite games this year. People's opinions are all over the place with this one, so you really just have to judge for yourself.

Has anyone been lucky enough to experience cross-over multiplayer moments yet? I'm getting none on my first play-through... With the way this game is set up, it feels like a one-in-a-million chance that you'll actually pair with a group in another campaign story at the very same moment on the same difficulty.

I did as
Ada
covering Sherry & Jake on the river. was pretty fun.

Bittercup

The demo might not be the best parts of the game (although I still like them) I would recommend to play it before making the decision whether to buy the game now or wait.
But before you play the demo, take a look at this thread to know the controls:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494812
it makes a huge difference.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Surprisingly I had nearly all of them match during my playthrough.

Z3M0G

Inventory management with Chris is a bit of a pain... I need to micro-manage and throw things away (even threw out a red herb) just so that I can carry all the ammo types...

Took me a good 15 minutes to figure that shit out. The game gives you absolutely no indication of what you actually need to do.

I was, of course, excellent and was flying up that rope. The problem was my co-op partner being slow and I kept knocking him off and having to catch him. Repeat for a good 15 mins.

All joking aside, how did that get into the game?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The real question is: which had the best save room music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7IIedR_UfE

Pfft, this one is, has been, and always will be king.

So this is from the Mercs guide that was linked to, but I've been experimenting and found more. As I said before the key is to get the enemy to the end of the spin animation. So basically, you need to stun an enemy twice before they recover from the first stun to trigger the spin stun. Also to get the coup de grace you must either be facing the enemy's front or front side at the end of the animation when they are slumped/on their knee.

1 stage spin stun
-flash grenade
-reverse elbow
-save partner while grabbed (does the coup de grace)
-RT>RT combo from behind enemy

2 stage stun
-headshot then slide into feet or dash melee
-quickshot then slide into feet or dash melee
-shoulder shots to turn enemy then slide into feet or dash melee
-dash melee then slide into feet (this is one of the most effective and easy ways to do it)
-slide into feet twice in a row (easier said then done on the 2nd slide)
-dash melee twice in a row (not very useful because you need a slight run up)
-RT>RT combo from behind or side (can be done even when the enemy is already in a first stage stun, trick is to hit them with the 2nd attack so not to activate a heavy finisher)

the only thing to note is using a dash melee for the 2nd attack in 2 phase stun has a chance of killing the enemy outright rather then spinning them.

Damn it I love this game.

Ooooh iiiiiiiiiiiinteresting. I will have to experiment with this some more. I love how we're still finding more nuances in the game's combat system.

BTW what's up with this Urban Chaos event, what's the deal? Is it just whoever gets the highest score?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As a heads up, I am just going to take a swing and predict that the patch for the game with No Hope difficulty and Ada's campaign and all that may be on the 22nd. RE.NET talks about the expected date to fix its issues to be on October 22nd, for data receiving and medal glitches. I was wondering why they would choose that date, but I guess it would make sense if they release the patch that day. That may mean that there may be some additional fixes as well.

Neiteio

Wow, the bosses in Leon's final chapter were AMAZING. Really loved all of the fights:
the T-rex was straight-up Malcolm-waving-the-flares-in-Jurassic-Park hilarity
;
climbing the rope (holding one button at a time!) during the chimera was fun because I felt urgency to get to the top and help Ada, and then actually fighting alongside her was superb fan service
; and
the corpse-eating fly was simply epic, whittling down its "feed supply" so it takes the lightning rod when it tries to repair its legs (blown apart with the epic El Gigante-style QTE) or its eyes
. All visually dazzling, all a lot of fun to fight. The final boss makes more sense, too; the files explain it really boils down to the three mutations mentioned above, and I believe the
chimera
form is the same encountered in Chapter 4. Extremely memorable finale! (And I lol'd when Leon said
"C'mon -- let's git to da choppa."
:)

Dr.Hadji

Finally got to play RE6 last night, co-op. A few things.
1. I like THS RE. Is it better than old RE? Doesn't matter to me. Things are going to chance. So you just take everything as they come.
2. While RE6 has more in common to a larger genre of THS than it does in the now much smaller sub-genre of survival horror, saying that it is a uninspired take on the genre is nonsense. At the very least, Japan's take on THS gives it enough flavor to make the game its own.
3. Sure the game is linear but scenes are made well enough that it easy provides context for my mind to wander outside of my sometimes small corridors. Structures wrap around nice enough so that the corridors fill up an area so a sense of place is achieved.
4. The game has an over abundance of move your character to do. With a diminished agency over the macro, my increased micro agency is an ok trade off.
5. Cheap scenarios are cheap. But they really only get you once. Its old school in that since. And I really can't hate on em too much without getting on my "this is "good" game design soap box". In practice it is just a small bump.

Jacob4815

As a heads up, I am just going to take a swing and predict that the patch for the game with No Hope difficulty and Ada's campaign and all that may be on the 22nd.

I don't understand this update.. what's the need to unlock the Ada Chapter at the beginning, for a new player?
And after the patch, there will be the opportunity to replay this campaign in the current state?
I mean only with Ada without a IA partner...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't understand this update.. what's the need to unlock the Ada Chapter at the beginning, for a new player?
And after the patch, there will be the opportunity to replay this campaign in the current state?
I mean only with Ada without a IA partner...

I don't know why they want to unlock it from the beginning, but I am pretty sure you'll be able to play it without an AI partner. I am guessing if you opt to play it co-op, there just will be someone there, and they won't be there if not.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It wasn't explained properly. I thought you had to hit both buttons alternating, but didn't know about holding it. It wasn't until I got fed up that Jake in his final chapter wasn't moving that
I googled it and found out you had to hold the buttons.
The prompts clearly show that the buttons should be held.

Now, while I didn't have any trouble with it, I would definitely agree that this section needed more testing. They probably should have allowed direct control over your character while climbing.

I hope the next RE game has more bosses that are like Lisa Trever, Tyrant and Birkin and less like Lost Planet/Monster Hunter rejects. They were still fun fights but just so out of place and over the top for an Resident Evil game. Chris's final boss reeked of Ninja Gaiden 2. I love weird creature designs in games but I like my Resident Evil to be a bit more grounded.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I can do those, they aren't coup-de-graces though. The coup-de-grace is Helena's dropkick or Jake's karate kick where he raises his leg up then slams it down onto the stunned enemy. They give you 7 seconds instead of 5, and you'll know when an enemy is set up for it because their head will be lowered, and the J'avo will be down on a knee.

The one surefire way to get it, is to do the reverse-melee. This is hard to do in a group though, because turning away from a enemy and hitting melee will often swing at the wrong person. But it's 100% if you have a straggler. As long as the melee doesn't take them off their feet, which happens sometimes.

Neiteio

The prompts clearly show that the buttons should be held.

Now, while I didn't have any trouble with it, I would definitely agree that this section needed more testing. They probably should have allowed direct control over your character while climbing.
I can't recall if there were any words beneath the icons indicating what to do. It might help for them to add the word "HOLD" under the one icon and "TAP" under the other, and then alternate as it goes back and forth so people don't get confused by the flashing icons. I also think that adding some sort of tutorial that teaches all of the mechanics, and runs you through the different QTE types, would be very helpful.

Footos22

That said, there WAS one part in that chapter that gave me a difficult time and I felt was poorly designed. When going for a key later in the level you need to "distract" Ustanak using an explosive device. Unfortunately this requires you to place the device in just the right spot else Sherry dies. Took me three or four tries to find the right spot.

That part that gave you a difficult time. I don't know if i got lucky or what but when she came climbing back down she ran right in front of him and he didn't do a thing. didn't even notice her so that gave me no trouble at all.

Evolved1

Not going to lie, I like their work but I just want a NeoGAF safe...well forum safe in general fan art for once. lol

Well lets just say until that stunned moment I'd never taken the term
"lickers"
quite that literally.

:/

I've seen some weird shit in my day, but wtf man.

Neiteio

Finally got to play RE6 last night, co-op. A few things.
1. I like THS RE. Is it better than old RE? Doesn't matter to me. Things are going to chance. So you just take everything as they come.
2. While RE6 has more in common to a larger genre of THS than it does in the now much smaller sub-genre of survival horror, saying that it is a uninspired take on the genre is nonsense. At the very least, Japan's take on THS gives it enough flavor to make the game its own.
3. Sure the game is linear but scenes are made well enough that it easy provides context for my mind to wander outside of my sometimes small corridors. Structures wrap around nice enough so that the corridors fill up an area so a sense of place is achieved.
4. The game has an over abundance of move your character to do. With a diminished agency over the macro, my increased micro agency is an ok trade off.
5. Cheap scenarios are cheap. But they really only get you once. Its old school in that since. And I really can't hate on em too much without getting on my "this is "good" game design soap box". In practice it is just a small bump.
Excellent analysis. My sentiments echo yours. I'm really loving this game. I'll probably still give the GOTY nod to Kid Icarus Uprising or Sleeping Dogs, or possibly Dishonored and XCOM when I play those, but from a sheer fun-per-hour ratio, I'm getting more than my money's worth with RE6.

GeekyDad

I hope the next RE game has more bosses that are like Lisa Trever, Tyrant and Birkin and less like Lost Planet/Monster Hunter rejects. They were still fun fights but just so out of place and over the top for an Resident Evil game. Chris's final boss reeked of Ninja Gaiden 2. I love weird creature designs in games but I like my Resident Evil to be a bit more grounded.

Not really. Even the very first RE had a giant snake and other "big" shit. RE4 was full of over-the-top bosses as well.

Z3M0G

I can't recall if there were any words beneath the icons indicating what to do. It might help for them to add the word "HOLD" under the one icon and "TAP" under the other, and then alternate as it goes back and forth so people don't get confused by the flashing icons. I also think that adding some sort of tutorial that teaches all of the mechanics, and runs you through the different QTE types, would be very helpful.

It used "Up" and "Down" arrows on the buttons to indicate if you should press them in or release them. If you follow what the arrows tell you to do, it's simple stuff. People are simply not accustomed to holding multiple buttons at once during a QTE. They are more accustomed to pressing one button at a time.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Come again?

Chimera.jpg

37241.jpg

boss_william_m4.jpg

img_153041_resident-evil-2-birkin-final-boss-fight-claire-gameplay.jpg

resident-evil-4-20051021042058711.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

Uroboros_Aheri.jpg

Resident Evil has always had off the wall creature design.

Neiteio

I seriously can't get enough of this game. I've been busy so I only manage a chapter or two a night, if that, and I've yet to do Ada's campaign, but I'm a little sad thinking I -will- eventually exhaust this game's content. I'm eager to do online campaign co-op, and continue to push myself in Mercs, and try Agent Hunt, but I'm eager for Capcom to start releasing the seven DLC Mercs maps, and the retro "low-poly" Mercs characters, and the Siege, Survivor and Predator modes (though 360 gets them first). I'm also hoping that this post-Ada cutscene involving Jake is a hint at a DLC mini-campaign like RE5's Lost in Nightmares or Desperate Struggle. Speaking of which, what do you think said DLC would entail?
It sounds like it's in the Middle East: maybe Jake will get a new partner and explore some Arabic architecture and encounter some new BOWs, mutations, maybe a new boss?

Come again?

Chimera.jpg

37241.jpg

boss_william_m4.jpg

img_153041_resident-evil-2-birkin-final-boss-fight-claire-gameplay.jpg

resident-evil-4-20051021042058711.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

Uroboros_Aheri.jpg

Resident Evil has always had off the wall creature design.

The earlier games had a much more creepier tone when is came to bosses. The Snake is not over the top at all and fit in perfectly with the tone of the series. RE4's only out of place boss was probably Salazar and Saddler. I really don't want to post spoiler pics of Chris's and Leons final bosses to prove my point.

Nemesis_

But one phase of Leon's final boss fight is
clearly a homage to one of Birkin's forms in Resident Evil 2, albeit a bit more mobile.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of which, what do you think said DLC would entail?
It sounds like it's in the Middle East: maybe Jake will get a new partner and explore some Arabic architecture and encounter some new BOWs, mutations, maybe a new boss?

That would give me a ginormous nerdgasm.

But one phase of Leon's final boss fight is
clearly a homage to one of Birkin's forms in Resident Evil 2, albeit a bit more mobile.

I really don't think you can compare Leons bosses to Birkin. Leons boss could have been in Bayonetta. Birkin was grotesque and creepy that still showed signs of his humanity.

Neiteio

The earlier games had a much more creepier tone when is came to bosses. The Snake is not over the top at all and fit in perfectly with the tone of the series. RE4's only out of place boss was probably Salazar and Saddler. I really don't want to post spoiler pics of Chris's and Leons final bosses to prove my point.
Posting spoiler pics of Chris and Leon's final bosses would only prove they're consistent with the designs of past RE creatures. They're monstrous, grotesque, downright macabre at points, and overwhelming in their scope and scale. Everything an RE boss should be. And the dogged persistence of
Haos
and
Simmons
hit all the right notes for this sort of horror (aesthetically creepy, yet functionally fit for action gameplay). Seriously,
Haos
is top-notch visual design. I also quite liked the mix of
bone, cartilage and insect parts composing Simmons -- his "T-rex" form even has the split halves of his human skull on his chest
. :)

Neiteio

People are forgetting that
HAOS
was actually incomplete, so the design should be a little bit weird and off too.
Haos
is by far and away the creepiest RE boss design yet, imo. His fucking face... Terrifying yet awesome at the same time.
A fanged human skull with eyeballs still in the sockets, encased in green gel, its organs and nerves visible inside?
Goddamn.

Evolved1

Quickshot -> quickslide -> PROFIT (7+ sec)

watch your stamina

Posting spoiler pics of Chris and Leon's final bosses would only prove they're consistent with the designs of past RE creatures. They're monstrous, grotesque, downright macabre at points, and overwhelming in their scope and scale. Everything an RE boss should be. And the dogged persistence of
Haos
and
Simmons
hit all the right notes for this sort of horror (aesthetically creepy, yet functionally fit for action gameplay). Seriously,
Haos
is top-notch visual design. I also quite liked the mix of
bone, cartilage and insect parts composing Simmons -- his "T-rex" form even has the split halves of his human skull on his chest
. :)

You really don't think they can fit in a game like Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta and Ninja Blade? I got instant flash backs from them. Esp Leon 4. Not saying its bad or anything and all and all I like the way they look, but I much prefer the more gritty monsters like Lisa Trever, Tyrant, Nemesis, Birkin, Mendez etc. They look ripped right out of horror flicks, even the Nosferatu in Code Veronica was very cool and creepy for the series tone.

For the most part I enjoyed the creature design in RE6, I was just a bit WTF with Chris's and Leons boss designs.

Impressions so far:

Only campaign completed is Leon's, yesterday. I have to admit that his first chapter was full of filler. I still don't think it picked up a heck of a lot until the last two. It did make me incredibly interested in what is going on with Chris and Jake stories. I guess we'll have to wait when we start Chris's scenario next.

I have to admit, we spent quite a bit of time cussing at the controls. The delay in pressing X for the
lift controller
towards the end was ridiculous. Also,
WTF is going on with that Simmons dude? He JUST WOULDN'T DIE! It wasn't even fun by the time you actually killed him.
Will see how the next campaign goes....

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Quickshot -> quickslide -> PROFIT (7+ sec)

watch your stamina

Hmm. I wonder if it would be worth taking the combat gauge skill in Mercenaries if you plan to go this route. Is that skill even available in Mercs?

I also wonder if the extra 2 seconds is worth it when it'll take you an extra second or two to set up the coup-de-grace.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding bosses:

Carla's last form was quite disturbing as well, the big, screaming face running towards you? Goddamn.

At that point I was just so annoyed with that campaign that I was really pissed at the entire fight. I will admit that it's pretty creepy and disturbing though.

Christopher

I'm watching the story scenes online since I can't stand the gameplay man they really fucjed Ada her appearance is NOTHING like her and her voice doesn't have that mystery anymore

Evolved1

Hmm. I wonder if it would be worth taking the combat gauge skill in Mercenaries if you plan to go this route. Is that skill even available in Mercs?

I also wonder if the extra 2 seconds is worth it when it'll take you an extra second or two to set up the coup-de-grace.

There isn't a CG buff as far as I know. And the coup-de-grace is probably more about getting the minibosses to activate on certain levels.

Imo the extra 3 seconds is at best "break even" if you're fast, and not worth the heavy cost to the combat gauge.

You chew up the CG pretty fast.

AB12

I'm watching the story scenes online since I can't stand the gameplay man they really fucjed Ada her appearance is NOTHING like her and her voice doesn't have that mystery anymore

Same for me, but mostly due to the bad camera, first RE game am getting motion sickness from.

I really like Ada
(real Ada) in RE6, I really think the character desreved more exposure, but is true that the "cunning sexy spy" one liners were a bit overused. Of course Nothing like RE4 Ada.

Also in some shoots she looks more older, I like that, but also means that Leon should hurry up.

Top Bottom