• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

It was like something out of Silent Hill. The Resident Evil series has never been actually scary, so it did seem out of place.

Well, I don't think that room was scary, just, spooky. And RE6 makes some of the earlier RE games look like The Exorcist by comparison. :p

Astral

Well, I don't think that room was scary, just, spooky. And RE6 makes some of the earlier RE games look like The Exorcist by comparison. :p

Yeah I didn't find it scary at all because it was just so out of place. If the rest of the chapter had the same atmosphere, I probably would've found it a bit spookier. But when just before you entered the room you were being fired at in all directions and witnessed several explosions, it's really hard to find that room anything more than strange.

Well to be fair, it also makes the tank controls of the pre-RE4 games feel like an unplayable pile of shit! Trade-offs. ;)

I can very easily put up with the tank controls in exchange for awesome atmosphere, puzzles, and proper creepy atmosphere as opposed to better gameplay surrounded by forgettable mediocrity.

RE has never been scary, but it was always identifiably horror IMO and that's what I loved about it-- the tension it used to have. The new games have better gameplay, but when everything else sucks, I don't see how that really matters. Just one guy's opinion though.

Yeah I didn't find it scary at all because it was just so out of place. If the rest of the chapter had the same atmosphere, I probably would've found it a bit spookier. But when just before you entered the room you were being fired at in all directions and witnessed several explosions, it's really hard to find that room anything more than strange.

For me it was like stumbling upon a section where maybe some of the developers had some coffee and went "oh... we're doing Resident Evil, right?"

Riposte

I think RE6 has some great atmosphere at times. Stand out moments were against those enemies that split in half when you kill them. Both great in Jake 5 and Leon 4.

Also I get the feeling people seem to think atmosphere comes in two flavors: "dreary" and "spooky".

Replicant

That's kind of cute actually. Like a RE version of "Now kiss.gif" and with all the intense male-bonding Chris/Piers have in this game, I'm not surprised that there will be a lot of fanart coming out of the woodwork.

I love that Silent Hill-inspired room. Have you guys seen the back of that room though? That really rattled me up a bit. It was unsettling.

Neiteio

I can very easily put up with the tank controls in exchange for awesome atmosphere, puzzles, and proper creepy atmosphere as opposed to better gameplay surrounded by forgettable mediocrity.

RE has never been scary, but it was always identifiably horror IMO and that's what I loved about it-- the tension it used to have. The new games have better gameplay, but when everything else sucks, I don't see how that really matters. Just one guy's opinion though.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. The old games played terribly, and that includes the awful "puzzles." REmake, the best of the old REs, had an atmospheric look to it and a few choice boss encounters. Not worth bumbling through with broken controls, terrible puzzles and combat, though. The series has changed for the better.

That being said, I'd still be interested to revisit the old titles if they could fix the controls. Implement true analog like the prerendered scenes in OoT and employ some sort of lock-on to allow you to back up while aiming.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. The old games played terribly, and that includes the awful "puzzles." REmake, the best of the old REs, had an atmospheric look to it and a few choice boss encounters. Not worth bumbling through with broken controls. The series has changed for the better.

That being said, I'd still be interested to revisit the old titles if they could fix the controls. Implement true analog like the prerendered scenes in OoT and employ some sort of lock-on to allow you to back up while aiming.

They may have played terribly but I found them to be very memorable-- but then again I've never had any trouble with "tank controls" although I acknowledge that they're not good and can understand why some people may not like them.

Anyway, IMO the only thing that has improved are the controls. RE6 was a mediocre action game from start to finish. The RE series didn't get popular because they were forgettable, mediocre action games, so I guess the older ones did something right.

Neiteio

They may have played terribly but I found them to be very memorable-- but then again I've never had any trouble with "tank controls" although I acknowledge that they're not good and can understand why some people may not like them.

Anyway, IMO the only thing that has improved are the controls. RE6 was a mediocre action game from start to finish. The RE series didn't get popular because they were forgettable, mediocre action games, so I guess the older ones did something right.
Clumsier mechanics were more acceptable back then (see also: nearly every third-party N64 game). The new action-oriented direction for the series is obviously selling exponentially better, and there's nothing medioce about the action on display here. I quite like the settings and scenarios, too, and the storytelling is vastly superior to the olden days. (Seriously, rewatching some REmake cutscenes, that game did not age well, especially where voice acting is concerned...)

I respect the legacy factor of the old titles, but I don't think they're held to the same scrutiny as the newer titles that don't benefit from nostalgia. Still, I don't like being negative, so I digress.

Lima

Damn Jake 5 was fun. Credits song is awesome too. Probably my favorite character of the bunch because he can pack a punch.

Neiteio

Personally, I found constantly glancing over my shoulder in RE6's Leon Ch. 2, in the pouring rain outside a cathedral in a cemetery at night, to be as densely atmospheric as Resi 1, and with fantastic gameplay, to boot. The other environments were perfectly gorgeous as well, from the billowing smoke lit by the fire of China's devastated streets, to the Gothic architecture of a snowy Eastern European village under seige, to the flickering lights and puddle-slick underbelly of a ship
full of Rasklapanje
. All perfectly immersive environments that transported me; the game world in general was rich in detail and atmospheric touches. And it's not like the old REs were scary -- only the controls were! It's amazing how liberating this series has become by giving you full control of your character and not artificially creating tension.

Clumsier mechanics were more acceptable back then (see also: nearly every third-party N64 game). The new action-oriented direction for the series is obviously selling exponentially better, and there's nothing medioce about the action on display here. I quite like the settings and scenarios, too, and the storytelling is vastly superior to the olden days. (Seriously, rewatching some REmake cutscenes, that game did not age well, especially where voice acting is concerned...)

I respect the legacy factor of the old titles, but I don't think they're held to the same scrutiny as the newer titles that don't benefit from nostalgia. Still, I don't like being negative, so I digress.
Really? It's not like RE is busting out them CoD numbers.

I found the numerous vehicle sections to be boring, long-winded, badly executed, the QTE'S were too vast and impeded gameplay progression-- I never want to do some of those QTE's ever again in my life-- don't enjoy scripted events or the super linear nature of the game, and so on. I felt like there were too many of these instances of horrible game design decisions. So in spite of yes, it having a functional combat/shooting system, it was sandwiched between a lot of, IMO, very difficult to defend gameplay scenarios.

And I've never minded the action in Resident Evil, in fact I'm okay with it, but I like a nice balance of action and horror. The older games were pretty good about that. RE2 was largely a creepy game but had some excellent action sequences in there, particularly the train sequence at the end of the 2nd scenarios. Great action that didn't overwhelm the game and was impressive at the time.

What RE6 is, despite the better gameplay... I don't know. RE4 had the better gameplay too, but it was also a well designed game. I can't say the same for this.

On a serious note, an RE7 breakdown:

+ Chris and Jill -- Historic chateau and surrounding countryside in France (Western Europe)
+ Jake and Sherry -- Affluent artificial archipelago in United Arab Emirates (Middle East)
+ Leon and Claire -- Bustling slums and Taj Mahal-style palace in India (Southeast Asia)
+ Barry and Rebecca -- Flavela, diamond mines and rain forest in Brazil (South America)
If we're doing RE7 wishlists:

+Jake and Jessica- India, RE4 style adventure with a longer than one of the RE6 size campaign taking place in 2 or 3 different settings but all in India(Jungle/outskirts of Indian City that leads into the slums/indian city, Taj Mahal style palace that leads into enemies lair). Jessica poses as a US agent and tells Jake that Sherry is in trouble and was captured in India. She secretly is a double agent for Tricell and wants to infiltrate a member of The Family's base to obtain a new virus and information. She seeks out Jake because she can't infiltrate the base alone and also to capture Jake afterwards. Towards the end she reveals her true nature but first offers Jake to join her instead of by force.

+ Sherry and Claire- Egypt/India, RE:CV style adventure with a similar length to one of the RE6 campaigns. The first part starts in a small Egyptian village that leads them into a pyramid. The second part is in India in a similar location but different areas. Sherry and Claire are off duty. After hearing mysterious information from Leon, Chris and the govt, Sherry thinks an unknown organization could be plotting a new virus outbreak and signs point to the base being in Egypt. Claire doesn't want Sherry to pursue said mission but goes with her to protect her. They uncover information and learn a little info about the bad guy being a member of The Family and that he is aware of jake and jessicas plan and he plans on capturing jake for his blood to create a new virus/clone him so they make their way to India.

+ Jill and new guy- Australia and India. RE5 style adventure with a shorter length than the RE6 campaigns. It is straight action setpieces with lots of ammo. Australian shanty town that leads to the outback. Then to India but not retreads of jake or sherrys campaign. Jill is on a BSAA mission to investigate a Tricell attack that occured in Australia. Jill eventually finds out that it was a coverup and that Tricell agents are moving in on India. She discovers India was attacked by a viral outbreak and makes her way there thinking Tricell is behind it.

+ Rebecca and Parker- Secret 4th Campaign. South America, Australia, and India. South American jungle/village, Australian outbreak leading to Tricell Australian branch and India. After Raccoon City, Rebecca decided to fight bioterrorism in her own unique way. She started to work for BSAA as cleanup and medic crew. Her mission is to spread the cure and help the infected either through the cure or terminating them. Parker is Rebeccas partner and helps protect Rebecca as she is frail and not as equipped to handle terror outbreaks on her own as other BSAA agents are. Her campaign starts off treating a remote location in South America that was affected by the T-Veronica virus(call back to RE:DC). She finds a sample of a new mysterious virus that one of the villagers had. She takes it and receives a call that she's needed in Australia. She goes through Australia cleaning it up and uncovers more info about Jessica/Tricell and the new virus with this information she's ready to create the cure. Her mission is to quickly spread the cure using the water channels as the virus spread via the Ganghis River. Jills partner also becomes infected and Rebecca/Parker has to race to get there in time to treat him.

Refined RE6 engine. Easier to explain and introduce to the player. Vehicle sections removed and QTEs dramatically reduced. Scripted events are also kept to a minimum with Jill and Rebeccas having most of them.

Replicant

I love the environments in RE. They are not terrifying or nail-biting but they sure are atmospheric in different ways. The neon-light China was a sight to behold and the Eastern European setting was giving a dreary and uninhabitable atmosphere.

And yeah, enough with Chris and Jill already. Especially their pairing. If they need to appear again, pair them up with new characters.

Astral

Personally, I found constantly glancing over my shoulder in RE6's Leon Ch. 2, in the pouring rain outside a cathedral in a cemetery at night, to be as densely atmospheric as Resi 1, and with fantastic gameplay, to boot. The other environments were perfectly gorgeous as well, from the billowing smoke lit by the fire of China's devastated streets, to the Gothic architecture of a snowy Eastern European village under seige, to the flickering lights and puddle-slick underbelly of a ship
full of Rasklapanje
. All perfectly immersive environments that transported me; the game world in general was rich in detail and atmospheric touches. And it's not like the old REs were scary -- only the controls were! It's amazing how liberating this series has become by giving you full control of your character and not artificially creating tension.

That might've been because of the respawning enemies. At least that's what it was for me. It was still a good chapter though. Cemeteries are always good. I didn't like most of China and Europe though. Too much PEW PEW PEW BOOM!

Replicant

Cemetary on Professional with Agent Hunt turned on is a fucking clusterfuck of epic proportion. You'll soon find yourself fighting for your life especially if 2 people invade your game.

Capcom already shipped 4.5 million. They make their money when stores purchase inventory from them. I don't think they're going back to the old style of gameplay anytime soon.

I don't want them to go back to the old style of gameplay. I'm fully confident that it's possible to update the gameplay but keep it, identifiably, Resident Evil. Ocarina of Time brought Zelda into 3D, had a lock on combat system, and made other significant changes-- yet it still felt like Zelda. Metroid went into first person, updating the shooting mechanics and such, but they kept the mood and style of Metroid intact. It felt like an updated Super Metroid with a different POV.

It's very possible to take old things and give them a new coat of paint without abandoning everything that made it into the popular series that it is. If you ask me, I think they're trying too hard. Their vision is so overwhelming and overproduced that they've totally lost sight of what made the series awesome.

I don't like to be negative either. I would argue that I'm one of the more positive members of this entire forum. I like the Star Wars prequels and it bothers me not to admit that.

Neiteio

I don't want them to go back to the old style of gameplay. I'm fully confident that it's possible to update the gameplay but keep it, identifiably, Resident Evil. Ocarina of Time brought Zelda into 3D, had a lock on combat system, and made other significant changes-- yet it still felt like Zelda. Metroid went into first person, updating the shooting mechanics and such, but they kept the mood and style of Metroid intact. It felt like an updated Super Metroid with a different POV.

It's very possible to take old things and give them a new coat of paint without abandoning everything that made it into the popular series that it is. If you ask me, I think they're trying too hard. Their vision is so overwhelming and overproduced that they've totally lost sight of what made the series awesome.

I don't like to be negative either. I would argue that I'm one of the more positive members of this entire forum. I like the Star Wars prequels and it bothers me not to admit that.
I think I see where you're coming from. So something more like RE4 where it's more pervasively... gloomy and Gothic like the old REs, but with more playable gameplay. I can appreciate that, but at the same time I've really come to appreciate the more colorful variety in RE6. You mentioned Star Wars -- that's actually how I see the series now and like it best. To me, the series is most fun as "Star Wars with a horror aesthetic" (monsters and flickery lights and shit), and aside from some uneven pacing and poorly implemented QTEs, RE6 exemplified the idea of ensemble cast drama set against a world full of grotesque monsters in dark unsettling places. :)

Also, I feel a bit bad taking a shit on the mechanics of REmake and such earlier, because I did quite enjoy the overall "haunted house" dynamic the game had going. I just don't see eye to eye with people who exhault the old gameplay model over the new, although I see now that wasn't quite what you were doing. One thing that's nice about RE6, in a "more like the old games" sort of way, is that ammo and herbs can run scarce if you're not careful, especially on higher difficulties with no Item Drop skill equipped. Sometimes you really have to run, which is nice.

I love the environments in RE. They are not terrifying or nail-biting but they sure are atmospheric in different ways. The neon-light China was a sight to behold and the Eastern European setting was giving a dreary and uninhabitable atmosphere.

And yeah, enough with Chris and Jill already. Especially their pairing. If they need to appear again, pair them up with new characters.
That would ruin the point of them being in the same game.
they need to stop with creating these pointless side characters that never return.
they tried it already,
Sheva= ok
Josh= likeable but forgettable
Parker=Barry 2.0 but forgettable
Jessica=.....
Piers was only tolerable because the last 2 chapters.

I think I see where you're coming from. So something more like RE4 where it's more pervasively... gloomy like the old REs, but with more playable gameplay. I can appreciate that, but at the same time I've really come to appreciate the more colorful variety in RE6. You mentioned Star Wars -- that's actually how I see the series now and like it best. To me, the series is most fun as Star Wars with a horror aesthetic (monsters and flickery lights and shit), and some uneven pacing/poorly implemented QTEs aside, RE6 exemplified the idea of ensemble cast drama set against a world full of grotesque monsters in dark unsettling places. :)

Fair enough. I have no desire to call anyone out here, I'm just sharing my angle.

I think RE6 thinks it had a lot of things that makes RE... RE but the problem is that most of it was window dressing and nothing more. Oh, it had zombies, it had zombie outbreaks, it had the creatures, it had a couple of spooky moments, some darkness, some puzzles, etc.

But it's missing something pretty damned important:

What was great IMO about the older games was how everything progressed. Being lost, trying to figure out where to go, not sure when you're going to find more supplies to keep you alive or armed, trying to figure out some of the puzzles-- all with zombies and other weird shit as obstacles.

In RE6, it's almost purely about the action and pumping bullets into monsters. It isn't scary because it is, strictly, a shooter. The older ones were not. It was about feeling isolated and low on items and such. Now, the older games were never really hard, but when I was like 14 and playing the original, you bet I was really captivated by the style and the environment. I had no idea where to go in the mansion, where the fucking keys were, what kind of enemies would be around the next corner, etc.

To me, that's pretty scary, or at least unnerving. It always had me on edge. After Code Veronica, I've never felt anything remotely like that since. Now you have an abundance of ammo and you're playing as fucking superheroes. In the older games I never felt like I was anything more than a cop. They could handle guns, but you couldn't beat the fuck out of stuff like Chuck Norris.

Neiteio

That would ruin the point of them being in the same game.
they need to stop with creating these pointless side characters that never return.
they tried that already
Sheva ok
Josh= likeable but forgettable
Parker=Barry 2.0 but forgettable
Jessica=.....
Piers was only tolerable because the last 2 chapters.
I was actually rewatching the cutscenes from the earlier chapters, like Piers confronting Chris in the bar back in Edonia, or confronting Chris about his recklessness in Ch. 3, and I think they handled Piers well all throughout. Helena, on the other hand, was kind of hit and miss; her tragic drama was good, but her character could've loosened up a lot. Leon could've been a little less serious as well, though I guess their attitudes were tonally appropriate for a change.

Astral

They also should go back to the weapon upgrades. The skill system sucks. Everything is so useless for the most part. I've had Critical Shot, Melee, and Firearm forever and bought Piercing just for the hell of it (it sucks). The only other skills that seem decent to me are Combat Gauge Boost or whatever and the final powerful shot thing, but even so they're completely unnecessary.

hamchan

They should make the skills cheaper and add more levels. Felt like I could only buy a few skills running through a campaign once.

Neiteio

Fair enough. I have no desire to call anyone out here, I'm just sharing my angle.

I think RE6 thinks it had a lot of things that makes RE... RE but the problem is that most of it was window dressing and nothing more. Oh, it had zombies, it had zombie outbreaks, it had the creatures, it had a couple of spooky moments, some darkness, some puzzles, etc.

But it's missing something pretty damned important:

What was great IMO about the older games was how everything progressed. Being lost, trying to figure out where to go, not sure when you're going to find more supplies to keep you alive or armed, trying to figure out some of the puzzles-- all with zombies and other weird shit as obstacles.

In RE6, it's almost purely about the action and pumping bullets into monsters. It isn't scary because it is, strictly, a shooter. The older ones were not. It was about feeling isolated and low on items and such. Now, the older games were never really hard, but when I was like 14 and playing the original, you bet I was really captivated by the style and the environment. I had no idea where to go in the mansion, where the fucking keys were, what kind of enemies would be around the next corner, etc.

To me, that's pretty scary, or at least unnerving. After Code Veronica, I've never felt anything remotely like that since.
OK... Well put. I can respect where you're coming from, sincerely. I'm curious, do you think there's a way the two styles could be reconciled? Perhaps RE6-style mobility and combat but matched up against infrequent stalker enemies like the Verdugo from RE4, all set within an open-ended environment where supplies are scarce and you have to figure out various puzzles to proceed? That would be controllable and, in combat situations against the stalker, fun to play, but at the same time would foster dread since you'd probably come away from each encounter in poor condition, and you'd have to muster the courage to explore the setting to find herbs and such, all at the risk of running into the stalker again.

OK... Well put. I can respect where you're coming from, sincerely. I'm curious, do you think there's a way the two styles could be reconciled? Perhaps RE6-style mobility and combat but matched up against infrequent stalker enemies like the Verdugo from RE4, all set within an open-ended environment where supplies are scarce and you have to figure out various puzzles to proceed? That would be controllable and, in combat situations against the stalker, fun to play, but at the same time would foster dread since you'd probably come away from each encounter in poor condition, and you'd have to muster the courage to explore the setting to find herbs and such, all at the risk of running into the stalker again.

I think RE4 was largely on the money with a lot of things except for the story. I really didn't like the story simply because it had nothing to do with... anything. It felt like this bizarro spinoff. Story wise, I could not connect to it. Yes, I realize that's a fanboy problem, but I am indeed a very big fan of the games.

However, I thought the atmosphere in the village and castle were amazing. And some of the island. I still don't think it really gave me an "RE feeling" but at least it was wholly atmospheric and even slightly unsettling. I can deal with that.

You pretty much asked what I would do-- I don't really know. The first thing that comes to mind is RE4 style gameplay, RE4 style atmosphere, a much bigger emphasis on puzzle solving and being legitimately lost due to not knowing exactly how to progress without having to explore-- exploration was a big factor in the earlier games and I very much miss that.

Basically, keep the gameplay, take away the linearity/chapter style progression, more puzzles, good atmosphere-- and that's about it. I'm a simple man to please, Mr. Bond.

Besides better judgement picked this up. Wow that has to be one of the worst openings to a game in a long time. Major turn off. Started up Chris campaign and it got better, but holy shit the game is so flawed. It's kind fun when it works, but again it's like theres something wrong with every element, tons of little things that just all add up to a frustrating experience.

I was actually rewatching the cutscenes from the earlier chapters, like Piers confronting Chris in the bar back in Edonia, or confronting Chris about his recklessness in Ch. 3, and I think they handled Piers well all throughout. Helena, on the other hand, was kind of hit and miss; her tragic drama was good, but her character could've loosened up a lot. Leon could've been a little less serious as well, though I guess their attitudes were tonally appropriate for a change.

Piers bugged me when he kept talking about Chris being reckless which was ok, then has a completely different attitude when Jake is around.
I really thought going in he would be the worst side character in RE history.

GeekyDad

Well, I've definitely had my fill of Chris, at least the steroid version. If they brought him back to "regular guy" status, I think I would appreciate him more. But I don't really need a whole lotta dudebro in my Resident Evil. Either that, or just say "fuck it" altogether and throw Marcus Fenix into the story and go whole hog.

Is there a known issue with RE6 saves on the 360? This is the second time this has happened to me. I load my game and I'm significantly further behind than I was when I actually quit playing. The first time wasn't that bad, but this time I'm like an hour behind where I was. Don't know if I feel the motivation to play through the same sections over again.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they would go back to the exploratory nature of the old RE games because it wouldn't sell as well. I feel like today people either buy linear shooters like COD, or open world sandbox games like GTA and Skyrim. Those are really the games that sell in the millions, and if RE6 is doing as well as I think it is (4.5 million shipped at launch), then there's no way in hell Capcom management is going to greenlight a slower paced, adventure based RE7.

Well, I've definitely had my fill of Chris, at least the steroid version. If they brought him back to "regular guy" status, I think I would appreciate him more. But I don't really need a whole lotta dudebro in my Resident Evil. Either that, or just say "fuck it" altogether and throw Marcus Fenix into the story and go whole hog.

Maybe I am turning into a dumb mainstream gamer but I really like Chris Redfield's RE5 and RE6 character design (although his haircut in RE6 still bugs me). Yeah he's all roided up but his melee attacks are suitably powerful and his voice actor is damn good.

Is there a known issue with RE6 saves on the 360? This is the second time this has happened to me. I load my game and I'm significantly further behind than I was when I actually quit playing. The first time wasn't that bad, but this time I'm like an hour behind where I was. Don't know if I feel the motivation to play through the same sections over again.

The game only saves after it shows you a black "Loading" screen. It doesn't save at checkpoints.

Astral

I don't think they would go back to the exploratory nature of the old RE games because it wouldn't sell as well. I feel like today people either buy linear shooters like COD, or open world sandbox games like GTA and Skyrim. Those are really the games that sell in the millions, and if RE6 is doing as well as I think it is (4.5 million shipped at launch), then there's no way in hell Capcom management is going to greenlight a slower paced, adventure based RE7.

I don't like your negativity.

Astral

It's not negativity, it's business sense. Do you really think RE6 would have sold as much if it was an adventure game? Action games are much more marketable.

I would say you have a point based on ORC's sales, but those people were clearly possessed or something.

GeekyDad

Maybe I am turning into a dumb mainstream gamer but I really like Chris Redfield's RE5 and RE6 character design (although his haircut in RE6 still bugs me). Yeah he's all roided up but his melee attacks are suitably powerful and his voice actor is damn good.

I definitely agree with you about the voice actor. The dialogue might not have gotten much better over the years, but the delivery sure has. But I just prefer the actual character as the "everyman" he kinda was in the first game. He was just a regular Joe with a badge. Now, he's slipped into a weird kind of superhero state that is just one more element that subtracts (detracts?) from the scare factor the series used to possess.

Piers bugged me when he kept talking about Chris being reckless which was ok, then has a completely different attitude when Jake is around.
I really thought going in he would be the worst side character in RE history.
Its weird at the start of the campaign I found Piers to be the likable one while chris was unlikable. Then when Chris started being reasonable, Piers turned into a douche and seemed to oppose Chris for no other reason but to oppose him. Although the ending made Piers likable again.
It's not negativity, it's business sense. Do you really think RE6 would have sold as much if it was an adventure game? Action games are much more marketable.
Well there's a couple ways around it. For one it could've been more interesting if each campaign had more distinct flavor. There could be one campaign that is action setpieces, blockbuster, and spy espionage. Then another that is more RE4 like slower paced, tightly designed and a central location. They could throw a campaign where you're stuck in a building/location during an outbreak and you have to survive. Its just marketing.

Also, who's to say anything. Perhaps RE declined(RE:CV, RE0 and RE4) because all of those titles were on poor selling platforms(dreamcast and gcn). Maybe RE has risen more to its former glory is because Capcom finally released on platforms that made sense.

It was like something out of Silent Hill. The Resident Evil series has never been actually scary, so it did seem out of place.

If they bring back the real Wesker in a robot body, there could be some cool father-son moments.

True story. I literally stopped and never played Silent Hill 3 again after going into the mannequin room, hearing a scream and seeing blood come out of a mannequin. To this day that is still the scariest moment I have ever experienced in a game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Well there's a couple ways around it. For one it could've been more interesting if each campaign had more distinct flavor. There could be one campaign that is action setpieces, blockbuster, and spy espionage. Then another that is more RE4 like slower paced, tightly designed and a central location. They could throw a campaign where you're stuck in a building/location during an outbreak and you have to survive. Its just marketing.

Also, who's to say anything. Perhaps RE declined(RE:CV, RE0 and RE4) because all of those titles were on poor selling platforms(dreamcast and gcn). Maybe RE has risen more to its former glory is because Capcom finally released on platforms that made sense.

True, a lot of it is marketing. I found it interesting the way this game was marketed, actually. Its advertising really pushed forward the horror and "No Hope Left" theme, which I thought was surprising considering it's more of an action game. I thought they were pushing the mainstream away. But then I looked closely at the ads and while they tell you that it's a horror game, they show you that it's an action game. Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgKxVj6Xm30

I think Capcom did a pretty smart thing with RE6, since they now are basically the only blockbuster Michael Bay horror action game on the market. Dead Space is a horror action game too, but it doesn't have the huge, over-the-top set pieces that RE6 does. I bet you RE7 will continue the trend of massive action set pieces set in exotic locations with a side order of weird mutations and zombie killing action. It's a unique melange of gameplay and thematic elements that I think differentiate it from pretty much every game out there on the market right now.

However I don't think that RE started selling well solely because it moved to more popular systems. Devil May Cry moved to popular systems and it sold worse and worse every iteration because the game wasn't attracting enough positive attention. Resident Evil doesn't have that problem; it's such a strong brand, and the games have generally been very well received.

Astral

True story. I literally stopped and never played Silent Hill 3 again after going into the mannequin room, hearing a scream and seeing blood come out of a mannequin. To this day that is still the scariest moment I have ever experienced in a game.

Lol. Don't like mannequins?

2129123131_d4515a9e5a.jpg

mannequin.jpg

True, a lot of it is marketing. I found it interesting the way this game was marketed, actually. Its advertising really pushed forward the horror and "No Hope Left" theme, which I thought was surprising considering it's more of an action game. I thought they were pushing the mainstream away. But then I looked closely at the ads and while they tell you that it's a horror game, they show you that it's an action game. Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgKxVj6Xm30

I think Capcom did a pretty smart thing with RE6, since they now are basically the only blockbuster Michael Bay horror action game on the market. Dead Space is a horror action game too, but it doesn't have the huge, over-the-top set pieces that RE6 does. I bet you RE7 will continue the trend of massive action set pieces set in exotic locations with a side order of weird mutations and zombie killing action. It's a unique melange of gameplay and thematic elements that I think differentiate it from pretty much every game out there on the market right now.

However I don't think that RE started selling well solely because it moved to more popular systems. Devil May Cry moved to popular systems and it sold worse and worse every iteration because the game wasn't attracting enough positive attention. Resident Evil doesn't have that problem; it's such a strong brand, and the games have generally been very well received.
Is it really a surprise that the horror aspect was advertised? Zombies are huge and have a massive appeal. The Walking Dead is the biggest cable drama drawing in over 10 million viewers. People love zombies. Dead Space isn't a traditional Zombie game which is why it doesn't have as much appeal/traction.

Also, while Devil May Cry may be dropping in appeal that has nothing to do with RE. Obviously, RE has to change and evolve but I disagree that it had to go completely Blockbuster action thriller. Given how the original REs sold there is an audience for difficult, spooky, survival horror titles. They didn't dry up. They got tired of the same formula and it being on bad platform choices. The Wii version of RE4 for example outsold the gamecube version because it was a much better selling platform. Ill have to double check but I believe even REUC outsold RE0/REmake.

A few questions about Ada:
Why does Simmons
call Ada a "traitor" on that scene atop the train when he fully knew it was Carla? And in the scene in Chapter 5 before he turns into a t-rex and Ada appears in a helicopter, he tells her she will pay for betraying him or something like that. Didn't Ada tell Simmons herself in her campaign that her doppelganger is trying to destroy the world?

And how did people know about
Carla's existence, get the photo of her sitting with Simmons and find out she was Ada's clone
months before the game even came out?
And how did they know Ada was the one in the red with no earrings and Carla was the one in the blue with the red scarf?

Vamphuntr

A few questions about Ada:
Why does Simmons
call Ada a "traitor" on that scene atop the train when he fully knew it was Carla? And in the scene in Chapter 5 before he turns into a t-rex and Ada appears in a helicopter, he tells her she will pay for betraying him or something like that. Didn't Ada tell Simmons herself in her campaign that her doppelganger is trying to destroy the world?

And how did people know about
Carla's existence, get the photo of her sitting with Simmons and find out she was Ada's clone
months before the game even came out?
And how did they know Ada was the one in the red with no earrings and Carla was the one in the blue with the red scarf?

For the first one :

It's implied he was in love with Ada so he made a replacement of her. It's obvious he would call her Ada as part of his roleplay

For the second one :

There was a leak. An employee working on the localization in Europe leaked out the info.

For the first one :

It's implied he was in love with Ada so he made a replacement of her. It's obvious he would call her Ada as part of his roleplay

For the second one :

There was a leak. An employee working on the localization in Europe leaked out the info.

Really? Do you think you can link me to a GAF post or link to the leak? I want to read the reactions.

And as for
Ada, he knew the Ada he was talking to wasn't the traitor or responsible for turning him into a monster, so why would he get mad at her?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is it really a surprise that the horror aspect was advertised? Zombies are huge and have a massive appeal. The Walking Dead is the biggest cable drama drawing in over 10 million viewers. People love zombies. Dead Space isn't a traditional Zombie game which is why it doesn't have as much appeal/traction.

Also, while Devil May Cry may be dropping in appeal that has nothing to do with RE. Obviously, RE has to change and evolve but I disagree that it had to go completely Blockbuster action thriller. Given how the original REs sold there is an audience for difficult, spooky, survival horror titles. They didn't dry up. They got tired of the same formula and it being on bad platform choices. The Wii version of RE4 for example outsold the gamecube version because it was a much better selling platform. Ill have to double check but I believe even REUC outsold RE0/REmake.

Oh shit that reminds me, Walking Dead Season 2 is now on Netflix. Fuck yes, time to catch up.

I agree that it didn't have to go completely blockbuster action to sell, but it didn't hurt it either. It's true that old school RE sold well, but then that was a time when games were meant to be a little obtuse and difficult, and gamers didn't expect so much handholding and streamlining. We live in a world where the highest selling game every year is an FPS with regenerating health, where you can only hold two weapons, and which funnels you down linear shooting gallery corridors as you watch cool stuff explode all around you. The world has changed and so have gamers' expectations.

I'm not saying an adventure-based RE game wouldn't sell well, I'm just saying an action-based RE game would sell more. My brother for example hates horror games. He can't stand them. But he went out and bought RE6 so he could play it in co-op with his friend and they're having a blast. That's the kind of consumer that Capcom is trying to reach, and I think they've succeeded.

Top Bottom