• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 rated for PS4 and Xbox One in Korea

Grisby

I like RE6, but it's a weird game. It's experimenting with a ton of things and see what sticks.
It tried to be a crazy melting pot for the campaign.

I'll praise mercs, but RE6's campaign was not that good. There are some parts that I can dig on, like Chris's battle with the snake or some parts of Leon's escape through the city. Jake/Sherry's part...well...the less said about that side the better.

Sorry bro, if my suspicions are right and you are like me, it's over. Resident Evil died a long time ago. Let me know what you think.

If you have PS4 or Xbox One, the first episode is currently available for free so you can try it.

Alright, I added it to my download que, I'm on a flight atm, first ep should be ready when I get home.

This probably will be my last try, if it sucks as bad as wraithbringer says then this series will be dead to me, I'll just play the old games

HeelPower

I wouldn't dare call it one of the best in the series, not by a long shot, but it was better than anything that came after 4, for sure.

It represents the best "over the shoulder" iteration after 4 so it ranks up there with the best for me.

The game really took me by surprise.I was expecting one of the poorest RE games to date and It is anything but.

It wasn't even a full priced title.

Raitaro

This would come at the "perfect" time for me if true, as usual.

I never ended up trying RE6 for myself after all the hate, but this past October I watched a complete let's play of it for Halloween. It has since become a rare game for me in the sense that it is one of the few games I still want to play myself even after watching a full let's play, that's how much I liked what I've seen. (Why, in short: each campaign looked different and varied and I really liked all the locations, animations etc. Granted, some of the boss fights did go on for too long, some chapters were a bit too gung-ho in terms of shooting, and overal it was very action/set piece heavy...but none of this is keeping me from wanting to try it still).

After that, I bought it on PSN in a Super bundle with pretty much all PS3 RE games, upon which I initially ran into an error of sorts where I could download all the games in the bundle except RE6. It simply didn't show up on PC or PS3 in my purchase/download list. After some unhelpful emailing with Sony (who told me I should take it up with Capcom, and that they could not find the bundle on the PSN store even with the link I provided!), and forum hunting (where I found several similar complaints, on Sony's own forums even!), this problem magically resolved itself later and the game showed up on my PS3 purchase list somehow.

This wasn't the end of the road however, as my previously (")repaired(") PS3 (which had had network connection issues and had taken me 4 months and several tries with a repairguy to get fixed late last year), upon firing it up for the first time in months, suddenly decided it was time to start overheating and shut down after a few minutes (upon which the repairman kindly reminded me that his 6 months warrantee had expired, even though it was his replacement motherboard and/or lack of requested fan cleaning that is likely causing this...sigh...).

In other words: I watched the whole game, then bought it on PS3 to never be able to play it due to both a software and hardware problem, and then it possibly gets leaked for PS4...I really don't know if this is a blessing or a curse!

HeelPower

Revelations 1 and 2 are for a different set of fans. You can tell a lot by the debates they bring up. That's not to say you can't like all of the RE games. I like basically all of them. However I will easily put 4, 5, and 6 higher than Revelations 2 or 1. Since those things you put as positives like exploration and such are too me negatives. I much prefer the pace and style of the newer action games. Still it's nice to have variety though.

image.php

But Dino Crisis is like heavily based on challenging,even punishing exploration. :p

BadWolf

In other words: I watched the whole game, then bought it on PS3 to never be able to play it due to both a software and hardware problem, and then it possibly gets leaked for PS4...I really don't know if this is a blessing or a curse!

Pretty sure that's a curse lol.

Raitaro

Pretty sure that's a curse lol.

Yeah, though the two positives here, to also use a "glass half full" view, is that I now don't need to get my PS3 repaired/replaced to be able to play it and that the version that I could end up playing in the end probably will be improved upon (after me having to spend more money on getting that version of course).

Very good game, my only teal criticism was the step back in graphics from the (still) gorgeous RE5.
The story is nonsense, but it has been since RE4. The core game was fun right through.

I didn't like RE6 much, so this remaster would need some major improvements to make me consider picking it up, something to the extent of Tomb Raider Definitive Edition. Basically, I would like a quasi nextgen engine guinea pig remaster rather than a cheapskate uprez remaster.

RSB

Banned
Revelations 1 and 2 are for a different set of fans. You can tell a lot by the debates they bring up. That's not to say you can't like all of the RE games. I like basically all of them. However I will easily put 4, 5, and 6 higher than Revelations 2 or 1. Since those things you put as positives like exploration and such are too me negatives. I much prefer the pace and style of the newer action games. Still it's nice to have variety though.
I honestly don't know what kind of fans they were trying to please with the Revelations games. I enjoyed both games (especially REV2, which has a very nice story and cool characters) but as a fan of both classic and action RE, I find the Revelations games to be quite mediocre when compared to either style. The level design, atmosphere, sense of exploration, etc, is nowhere near as good as in the classic RE games; and the gameplay mechanics are super basic when compared to RE4, 5 and 6 (REV1 has the excuse of being a 3DS game, but REV2 should have been much better)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
All this praise for Leon's campaign. It was good, probably the best of the four, but Ada's and Chris's were great fun too. Jake's was the only one that was kind of iffy. The action focus of Chris's was very not Resident Evil-like but he had some of the best level design in the game. The first few China chapters come to mind. His campaign also had the coolest final boss and the most interesting enemies, with their evolutions and all. Plus, Piers is the best new main character to be introduced to the series in a while
R.I.P.

I honestly don't know what kind of fans they were trying to please with the Revelations games. I enjoyed both games (especially REV2, which has a very nice story and cool characters) but as a fan of both classic and action RE, I find the Revelations games to be quite mediocre when compared to either style. The level design, atmosphere, sense of exploration, etc, is nowhere near as good as in the classic RE games; and the gameplay mechanics are super basic when compared to RE4, 5 and 6 (REV1 has the excuse of being a 3DS game, but REV2 should have been much better)

They're most likely trying to find that balance between the two game design, which they did on a smaller budget as well.

The mechanics aren't really as basic as you might think- the combat characters like Claire and Barry can do all the things in 4-5 plus a charged up melee and stealth and non-qte dodging. The array of moves are a step down from 6 though.

I've said it before in another thread but I don't think RE needs to take any lessons in game mechanics, what they do need is some good level design and atmosphere.

KyleCross

I enjoyed the fuck out of RE6, and for the past few years have got completed surrounded and beaten down whenever I stood up for it, usually on Twitch.

That said... what? This is a really odd pick for a remaster by itself. I mean, it feels like it'd be part of a collection. Granted, DMC4 was a singular game as well.

leroidys

Since this thread has basically become a series roll call, is there anyone who really loves Code Veronica? Like it's their favorite RE game?

Zebetite

Banned

i dunno, i quite enjoy exploration and i've never gotten many kicks out the revelations games. i'll take classic RE over RER, i'll take action RE over RER-- its not about a preference for action/exploration over the other for me, but a preference for a game that does one thing well over a game that does two things just okay.

AdaWong

I'll be the very first to say it even though everyone hates it:

The Rev series is made for butthurt (rightfully, though) Jill / Claire fans that are annoyed that the mainline series have put Leon / Chris / Ada on the spotlight.

RE4 [Leon] -> RE4 Re-release [Leon/Ada] -> Degeneration [Leon/Claire] -> RE5 [Chris] -> RE5GE [Chris/Jill] -> Damnation [Leon/Ada] -> RE6[Leon/Chris/Ada]

Leon: 5
Chris: 3
Ada: 3
Jill: 1
Claire: 1

Ever since the main franchise's "rebirth", Capcom has defiently shifted focus on certain things.
After the critical acclaim of RE4, they added content (Ada's campaign) to it and re-released it in other consoles, then the game sold like hot cakes on everything. RE4's popularity and quality REALLY put its characters (Leon and Ada) on the map.

We got Capcom's first canon animated RE film, Degeneration. Playing ot safe, Capcom goes with Leon's new-found popularity. Oh, and that girl from RE2 I guess. (Capcom literally treats her like this in the film btw) Film was successful regardless.

RE5 tried to re-ceate everything RE4 did but with different characters. The main RE5 character was the "main" RE character, Chris. For some reason, Jill got demoted to a supporting character here. RE5 received a lot of backlash at first from stupid AI to racism to OMGWESKERDIEDWTFCPACPOM. Still, the game sold like hot cakes just like RE4. So they re-released it with new mini-campaigns for Jill.

Degeneration's sequel, Damnation, played it safe too. This time, it featured Leon (surprise) but it also featured Ada, that chick Leon loves from RE4. They used this as a chance to promote RE6, too. (Credits featuring RE6 never-before scenes prior to RE6's release)

RE6, Capcom's biggest game, literally. Who did it feature? The game's biggest characters, Leon and Chris. Leon and Chris was one of the first concepts of the game according to the developers. They wanted to include a Leon vs. Chris scene. At the same time, they wanted RE6 to be well-received just like RE4. What to do? Bring back Leon and Ada! But wait, how do we incorporate Leon vs. Chris into this? Hmm... Then we got whatever RE6's cheesy plot was.

After RE5, fans of Jill were so pissed that she was sidelined. Capcom released Revelations (which was as ACTION and over-the-top as RE4 could get and seriously had nothing to do with real "survival horror"...) as a cash in because Jill's fans WILL buy the game regardless.

After Damnation/RE6, Jill fans were still pissed, especially since Chris is re-starring in a mainline game and not Jill. People were also pissed that Claire suddenly got written-off of the franchise. What did they do? They teamed up! Remember how there were petitions and threads everywhere that wanted a campaign dlc for Claire and Jill being partners (lol)?

We got Revelations 2, which had the ~~~return~~~~ of Claire Redfield, and this is funny, because you can replace Claire with a new female character and everything in REV2 would have been exactly the same - the game also changed Claire's personality all of a sudden, and not in a character-development kind of way. They included Claire because they knew the game would sell with a character's return.

Jill and Claire fans have every right to be mad. Jill was butchered in RE5 by getting her a change of appearance and a demotion, then got completely re-designed in Rev (dat face). Claire was nowhere to be seen in canon playable form since CVX. She was in Mercs 3D tho. Yay? So yeah, they have the right to be mad, but the Revelations series is made to simply feature other sets of characters because they knew games would sell with a beloved character's name despite the minimal work compared to main games.

Relique

I am excited to finally try this. I never got around to it last gen for whatever reason. I am hoping all the dlc is included.

RSB

Banned
i dunno, i quite enjoy exploration and i've never gotten many kicks out the revelations games. i'll take classic RE over RER, i'll take action RE over RER-- its not about a preference for action/exploration over the other for me, but a preference for a game that does one thing well over a game that does two things just okay.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the middle ground approach either.

That's why I hope REmake 2 is 100% classic RE (with pre-rendered backgrounds, tank controls, limited inventory, etc) and RE7 is an evolution of RE6 (hopefully with better level design and a more focused approach)

The second one, anyway, was for the fans that know you can have horror, puzzles and exploration on top of the faster paced and action oriented gameplay. That it doesn't have to be one or the other. So me, basically.
Even if you end up with a watered down version of both styles? As Zebetite said, I'd rather have a RE that does one style really well (like REmake or RE4) over a RE that does both just ok (the Revelations games)

Seyavesh

Thinking we're gonna get resident evil 7 next year is hugely optimistic, bordering on ridiculous.
resident evil 6 will be 4 years old next year and development started before re6 even released. it's also the 20th anniversary of RE, with it's own marketing campaign and logo built just for that purpose

so...
wanna bet?

resident evil 6 will be 4 years old next year and development started before re6 even released. it's also the 20th anniversary of RE, with it's own marketing campaign and logo built just for that purpose

so...
wanna bet?

yup
also IIRC RE6 was announced in Jan and released on October of same year...

Neff

RE7 is happening next year for sure. Many signs point to it and Capcom desperately needs a big hit game soon.

Jawmuncher

image.php

But Dino Crisis is like heavily based on challenging,even punishing exploration. :p

You got me there. I think for me it's just a case of falling into what I feel the norm is now for RE.
With Dino Crisis it is what it is (along with 2), so we never kept to see further changes (ignoring 3 or Dino Stalker)

I think the obvious budget for Rev 2 is what really held it back. As the quote below says for a lot of us the rev games are just the middle ground of trying to please another group that aren't exactly up to par for many of us. That's not to say anything negative to those that do enjoy them, but it's just as easy to see why we don't.

Completely agree, I was just generalizing since that's where i see most conversations aim into. Since the bolded is exactly how I feel about the Rev games.

Kitoro

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was the first terrible game I played last gen, and RE6 was the last terrible game I played last gen. They both hold special places in my heart for disappointing and insulting me and the hype I held for them on such a grand scale.

That said, RE6 can be fixed with a lot of work, and if they put that work in, I'll give it another chance.

Raitaro

Quick question: was there any news or confirmation about this new version of RE6 in the mean time, or?

Wish we'd get some kind of official word on it, especially with regards to how much work they are willing to put into it to improve the game.

I honestly don't know what kind of fans they were trying to please with the Revelations games.

The second one, anyway, was for the fans that know you can have horror, puzzles and exploration on top of the faster paced and action oriented gameplay. That it doesn't have to be one or the other. So me, basically.

Jawmuncher

Credit:Wario64

Australia just rated it as well. Looks like a pretty likely announcement at PSX or VGAs.
I'm betting on a RE6 HD Reveal and then a tease to RE7.

Credit:Wario64

Australia just rated it as well. Looks like a pretty likely announcement at PSX or VGAs.
I'm betting on a RE6 HD Reveal and then a tease to RE7.

SUPER HAPPY about this!!!
Finally I wont have to regret not buying a PS3 earlier this year when it was down to 100$
Now, Dragons Dogma DARK ARISEN and My life is complete.

BTW what and when is PSX?

I liked the bit I played. Its a game I wish id finished. I got stuck on that train boss fight with leon though where I had to shoot the guy as he was quickly and sporadically running at the train. One hit was instakill for some stupid reason

Jawmuncher

SUPER HAPPY about this!!!
Finally I wont have to regret not buying a PS3 earlier this year when it was down to 100$
Now, Dragons Dogma DARK ARISEN and My life is complete.

BTW what and when is PSX?

Playstation Experience in Las Vegas consider it a mini e3 for just playstation.
Live Stream of reveals this saturday from it.

R2 probably has the best co-op the series has ever enjoyed, too..

No way. There are some very cool unique ideas at play, but in the end the secondary character just doesn't have much to do in almost all the scenarios.

RE5 is by far the best co-op in the series, and one of the best co-op games ever made. The encounters play brilliantly with two people, and require constant communication and engagement from both players.

Roni

Gold Member
Really weird pick for a remaster. Especially when Outbreak 1 and 2 are still stuck on the dead PS2.

There's a reason, Capcom lost the dedicated server code. They themselves would have to reverse engineer their own work or build that from scrap.

Blueingreen

I agree with RE6 being a lousy Resident Evil game but seeing it label'd as an awful game period, when games like Sonic 06, Superman 64, Big Rigs exist is a tad unfair.

Timu

Do not want...this was easily one of the worst in the main franchise(somehow worse than 5, though co-op saved that one a bit), I had to force myself to finish any of the campaigns. Capcom should be working on a new good Resident Evil instead.

Korigama

Might get it if it's cheap. The dive/flip/crazy movement mechanics were awesome, really unlike anything done before. Too bad the tutorials are god awful. Make sure you check out that GAF guide to make sure you understand the mechanics fully.
If you've never played Vanquish, perhaps (and most people didn't).

More RE6? Yeah, maybe if Capcom paid me to take it. I despised this game even more than RE5.

Korigama

Not at all, Vanquish and RE6 are very different beasts.
Yes, they are. The former was actually good.

The only impression I got from RE6 was a clunkier, less focused product with comparable ideas. Considerably less emphasis on speed, and far more use of melee, both to its detriment. Terrible enemy and encounter design as well.

Top Bottom