• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 rated for PS4 and Xbox One in Korea

Revan

Never played RE6 but I'd be in for a package that has RE4.....either way if it's priced decently I'll take the plunge into 6....

My biggest question - RE4 has been released on every single known gaming platform in the last 2 gens....except for the Vita.

Why Capcom? The Vita would be perfect for RE4!

Well, I got a platinum in RE6 on PS3, so I must admit that I really liked the game. Can I do it again? I really don't know. It was quite time consuming. Sure, RE6 had a serious identity crisis, but I don't think it deserved all of the hate.

Jawmuncher

Never played RE6 but I'd be in for a package that has RE4.....either way if it's priced decently I'll take the plunge into 6....

My biggest question - RE4 has been released on every single known gaming platform in the last 2 gens....except for the Vita.

Why Capcom? The Vita would be perfect for RE4!

We have to pray to Sony at this point for that. With another surprise port like revelations 2.

Neff

Well, I got a platinum in RE6 on PS3, so I must admit that I really liked the game. Can I do it again? I really don't know. It was quite time consuming. Sure, RE6 had a serious identity crisis, but I don't think it deserved all of the hate.

I wouldn't be surprised if it just consolidated trophies with last gen versions the same way REmaster did.

Unless of course it has new content, which if I had to guess I'd say it probably won't.

Jawmuncher

I wouldn't be surprised if it just consolidated trophies with last gen versions the same way REmaster did.

Unless of course it has new content, which if I had to guess I'd say it probably won't.

It think the list would be seperate. I think it only applies when all versions come out at the same time. Can't recall any rerelease that shares trophies.

Neff

It think the list would be seperate. I think it only applies when all versions come out at the same time. Can't recall any rerelease that shares trophies.

You're probably right, but the PS3 version of REmaster came out in 2014 and I remember being surprised that the PS4 version used the same trophy set.

Who's ready to play the BEST Resident Evil game again!

cswnSK3.png

I do want to play it just because ive beaten every other mainline RE. Damnit Capcom.

FaintDeftone

I own the PS3 version and I've beaten two of the four campaigns (stopped in the middle of Jake's) and always thought the game wasn't as bad as folks made it out to be. It was still a mediocre RE game but I liked it more than RE0. However, I doubt I would buy a remaster of it. I liked it but not enough to buy it again.

I'm kind of surprised at the love this game is getting. Every single person I play with along with myself felt like it was the hottest of hot garbage. It felt like a cheap knockoff of what 4/5 did. I willed myself to beat all the campaigns, but it was a complete chore and many of my friends gave up.

Leon's campaign is the only one that was halfway decent. Chris and Jake's were absolutely terrible.

Tambini

I tried the first few levels of Chris campaign with a friend and we couldn't see shit, the frame rate in split screen felt about 15fps and my friend could find zero ammo for the unhelpful sniper the game gives him. Didn't leave a good impression but one day I'll try it on my own

Replicant

i don't think labeling professional reviewers as whiners makes a lot of sense.

Well, there's your problem. Relying on 'professional reviewers' instead of your own opinion.

What is 'professional reviewers' anyway? Many of those people don't even have journalistic credential.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm trying, again, to play The Evil Within. Now that you can disable the awful letterbox. Tbh, I think I literally hate this game. Chapter 1 is such derivative garbage. The same crap people accuse RE6 of, but worse!

People have the nerve to rip on Leon's opening in RE6 and turn around and praise this pile of shit opening in TEW? At least Leon gets to DO something in the opening, between the forced walking sections. At least RE6 doesn't have texture pop in its inane cutscenes, and actually decent production values. At least a university prepping for a presidential visit is an interesting setting... as opposed to another blood-soaked asylum with a rusty I-Wish-I-was-Silent-Hill basement full of hamfisted dismemberment and a chainsaw cutscene-boss (hey he's not derivative he's an homage) where the only actual gameplay that isn't "hold forward to win" consists of jank-ass forced stealth. I'm limping with the worst animation ever because Mr. Homage chainsawed my leg, but apparently a quick hop on the elevator sorts that out, now I'm sprinting. Where? Idk. The building is shaking but if I just stand here nothing actually happens. Quick press forward to cutscene that makes no fucking sense, and dialog so bad I suddenly crave a Jill Sandwich.

But it's RE6 opening that's terrible... glad the survival horror master stepped up to show us all what we've been missing with TEW. Truly inspirational stuff.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying, again, to play The Evil Within. Now that you can disable the aweful letterbox. Tbh, I think I literally hate this game. Chapter 1 is such derivative garbage. The same crap people accuse RE6 of, but worse!

People have the nerve to rip on Leon's opening in RE6 and turn around and praise this pile of shit opening in TEW? At least Leon gets to DO something in the opening, between the forced walking sections. At least RE6 doesn't have texture pop in its inane cutscenes, and actually decent production values. At least a university prepping for a presidential visit is an interesting setting... as opposed to another blood-soaked asylum with a rusty I-Wish-I-was-Silent-Hill basement full of hamfisted dismemberment and a chainsaw cutscene-boss (hey he's not derivative he's an homage) where the only actual gameplay that isn't "hold forward to win" consists of jank-ass forced stealth. I'm limping with the worst animation ever because Mr. Homage chainsawed my leg, but apparently a quick hop on the elevator sorts that out, now I'm sprinting. Where? Idk. The building is shaking but if I just stand here nothing actually happens. Quick press forward to cutscene that makes no fucking sense, and dialog so bad I suddenly crave a Jill Sandwich.

But it's RE6 opening that's terrible... glad the survival horror master stepped up to show us all what we've been missing with TEW. Truly inspirational stuff.

Lol. Never played TEW but I did watch a Lets Play of it and it looked pretty awful.

joe2187

Banned
Lol. Never played TEW but I did watch a Lets Play of it and it looked pretty awful.

It's not only a mess in terms of pacing and gameplay, the game itself is technically broken to the point where it becomes a chore to play because the game itself is struggling to cope with your actions.

The letterboxing was the worst offender and the camera and aiming controls would just straight up become unreliable and inconsistent.

How did tango gameworks make a game in an engine that was specifically made to run at a smooth 60FPS and then completely fuck it all to hell.

Evolved1

Most people I've seen say they like the game say that Chapter 1 is pretty bad and the game doesn't even really get started until Chapter 3. Self included.
Funny how TEW receives a pass on many of the very issues RE6 gets roasted on the spit for.

Funny how TEW receives a pass on many of the very issues RE6 gets roasted on the spit for.

I enjoy both games and fully acknowledge both of their faults. Both had their fair share of detractors and received middling review scores so I don't think either is really 'receiving a pass.' There are definitely some people who were very vocal about Evil Within being a 'return to survival horror' before it came out though. But those kinds of people are always silly.

Generally speaking, people who love TEW as a whole agree that the game doesn't pick up until chapter 3

The people who really like chapter 1 tend to express that they wish the rest of the game was like it

I didn't like it because I like being able to fight back but it's not too hard to get through

Jawmuncher

You're probably right, but the PS3 version of REmaster came out in 2014 and I remember being surprised that the PS4 version used the same trophy set.

I forgot the game released early in Japan on PS3 & 360. Guess it's the exception to the rule. Though since the X1 & PS4 versions are the exact same game besides the obvious changes due to better hardware that might play into it as well.

Why do RE threads always have people shitting on TEW and vice versa. Can't we all just get along and understand that hey, "maybe I just didn't like it."

Why do RE threads always have people shitting on TEW and vice versa. Can't we all just get along and understand that hey, "maybe I just didn't like it."
It was the worst game of all time, black bars!

The game has its share of issues but some of the negative hyperbole is a bummer

Evolved1

Because we don't live in a vacuum and playing through one, it's difficult to disregard all the negative shit that was hurled at the other, even though this is worse in the same ways, yet came after... but gets a pass. It's okay to ignore the same issues in TEW while RE6 (still) gets hammered on.

It was the worst game of all time, black bars!

The game has its share of issues but some of the negative hyperbole is a bummer

Yeah, negative hyperbole in an RE6 thread. I don't believe it.

I'm trying, again, to play The Evil Within. Now that you can disable the awful letterbox. Tbh, I think I literally hate this game. Chapter 1 is such derivative garbage. The same crap people accuse RE6 of, but worse!

Literally nobody praises the opening of TEW. It's the worst part of the game (not as bad as RE6 tutorial tho, since it at least has plenty of atmosphere). From chapter 3 through almost all the rest of the game it's fantastic. If it were an RE game it would easily be in the top 5.

Grisby

Yo, yo, TEW's campaign is leagues better than RE6.
Literally nobody praises the opening of TEW. It's the worst part of the game (not as bad as RE6 tutorial tho, since it at least has plenty of atmosphere). From chapter 3 through almost all the rest of the game it's fantastic. If it were an RE game it would easily be in the top 5.
I need to replay it. Such an awesome game. Only thing that was disappointing to me (outside of the beginning chapters, and maybe a section or two near the end) was Kidman's DLC, :/.

Evolved1

Yo, yo, TEW's campaign is leagues better than RE6.

I need to replay it. Such an awesome game. Only thing that was disappointing to me (outside of the beginning chapters, and maybe a section or two near the end) was Kidman's DLC, :/.
Ya it's been really fantastic so far. Truly top tier stuff. I'm in the much heralded Ch. 3 now. After a completely nonsensical (like, literal nonsense) story sequence. I'm in combat. This stealth is putrid shit so hopefully I don't run out of ammo. I can say, the framerate is sure showing up in Ch.3... star of the show atm.

Btw I loved the "turn the crank while attacked" QTE segment. That was sooooo much better than RE6 QTEs. I'm glad TEW doesn't have those annoying QTEs that are in RE6.

Neff

Both RE6 and TEW were my GOTY for 2012 and 2014 respectively, but if I had to choose I'd pick RE6. It just edges out TEW on variety, spectacle, and pure entertainment value.

Alfredo

I hope this re-release does include some fixes. Cut out the prologue tutorial, it sucked and was uneeded.

I just got a less hype for the potential re-release realizing that I'll probably have to play through that awful prologue again. It's soooo bad. At least make that skippable in the remaster if they don't change/cut it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As a person who has played both Resident Evil 6 and Evil Within through to completion and enjoyed both of them well enough for what they were, I can say with utmost certainty they are very different and don't share the same problems, with the exception being their prologue tutorial chapters are the worst part of both games, but even in that it's for different reasons.

Mechanically they are different, pacing they are different, atmospherically they are different, stylistically they are different. I can't think of a single flaw outside of prologue concerns I'd share between either of them, so I guess I just don't see where people are coming from outside of saying they don't understand other people's differing taste or something.

KyleCross

I think RE6 is better than TEW in every way, I feel TEW is quite overrated with the mess of a game it is, and by "mess" I'm not talking about the technical issues.

I gave up on reviews and popular opinion over RE6, to this day I get beat up online for defending it. It's crazy. It was the moment that I realized "Reviewers can have horrible opinions like everyone else, they just get paid for them." I've lost professional respect for reviewers by this point in time. I realized I gotta be the judge on what video games are good or not. Crazy concept, right?

Hopefully tho public opinion does improve with this re-release, it'd be nice to say you like a video game without people telling you to die.

Sadist

Make the camera less wonkey and improve the Chris/Piers campaign. It will be more enjoyable to new players picking it up for the first time.

Don't know if I'll be able to play RE6 again though. I appreciate what Capcom tried to do, but eh, a lot of mediocre stuff going on in that game.

Mr_Zombie

Make the camera less wonkey and improve the Chris/Piers campaign.

But, but... the Chris/Piers campaign was the best one, since it didn't try to hide what it really is (a third person shooter/brawler) and was the least annoying one - had the least amount of bullshit sections (I can't really remember anything aside from the godawful car chase at the end of chapter 3).

The player never appreciates the level design because you're running everywhere. It's oddly the first game where I felt it was too fast. The PS3 controller has ten points of motion, but CAPCOM didn't add any natural transitions, so you gently push it, 1-2 you walk, 3 - you RUN. How fucking awesome was it to walk and digest your surroundings in RE4 and RE5? tsk

I agree. Funny thing was I started to notice environmental details in RE6 levels in... Revelations 2 Raid mode, where they reused RE6 levels. RE6 doesn't really let you stop and look at the surrounding, it constantly hastes you, wants you to move forward to the next skirmish, while also providing you with the sprint button that doesn't consume your stamina.

Jawmuncher

Make the camera less wonkey and improve the Chris/Piers campaign. It will be more enjoyable to new players picking it up for the first time.

Don't know if I'll be able to play RE6 again though. I appreciate what Capcom tried to do, but eh, a lot of mediocre stuff going on in that game.

The later updates added camera fixes. You could set it up wherever you wanted just about. I actually still play on default.

But, but... the Chris/Piers campaign was the best one, since it didn't try to hide what it really is (a third person shooter/brawler) and was the least annoying one - had the least amount of bullshit sections (I can't really remember anything aside from the godawful car chase at the end of chapter 3).

I agree. The Chris campaign is seen as the worst since it's the most shooter, but considering that's what the game basically is I never saw the problem. I have more qualms with Leon's campaign when he is in tall oaks. Always felt like it was trying too hard for older re fans. Felt fine once he got to Shanghai though.

Both TEW and RE6 have flaws, but I think TEW is the more polished game. And probably also the closer to being a survival horror. But they're both some of my favorite games of the last few years.

The later updates added camera fixes. You could set it up wherever you wanted just about. I actually still play on default.

When they released that update I started using the new camera immediately, and found out it made it easier for me to set up counters. So I've always played it like that since then.

I agree. The Chris campaign is seen as the worst since it's the most shooter, but considering that's what the game basically is I never saw the problem. I have more qualms with Leon's campaign when he is in tall oaks. Always felt like it was trying too hard for older re fans. Felt fine once he got to Shanghai though.

I think all campaigns have their good and their less than pleasant moments. Still enjoyed the game a lot, and it's my most played RE game.

Top Bottom