• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 - Review Thread | Activist Reviews and the Hate Patrol Destroy Truth™

It's good to see the press think sensibly when reviewing a game, now apply to all the other games and games journalism may get some crediability.

Why is this a case of them thinking sensibly? They hated a game I am going to hate so they are sensible. Oh no they praised a game I hate so they are all moneyhats and lie to themselves!

This whole mentality is so stupid. Its a bunch of different opinions, everyone has them.

Riposte

I think this game is superior to RE5 in every way besides balance. But it has a much stronger single player with improved AI, a much better co-op experience. I even think Mercenaries is a lot more fun. But for now I am guessing people are going to jump on this bandwagon no matter what the people actually playing/have played it say/think. Games like this usually don't get appreciated until later.

What's up with the balance?

Also mercenaries looked kind of barren until 1-2 minutes in.

rvy

Banned
MGS4: 10/10
Crysis 2: 8.5/10
RE6: 4.5/10
kevin-vanord_100.jpg

smh

AHAHAHAHHAHA. Holy motherfucking shit.

RE5 was RE4 without the awful puzzles. Which means it's a superior version of RE4.

Yeah, and inferior enemy placement along with shoe-horned, forced Co-Op.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Agreed, but going along with the review score since thats the main topic. Some people enjoyed the game, while others did not.

Isn't it more accurate to say some people focused on the positive aspects of the experience and others focused on the negative? Isn't it a common theme in reviews that the game is a highly variable experience? For some people, a game that is 25% or 50% bad is just bad. Not worth the time.

Vire

Somehow I knew... deep down this thread would devolve into reviews being a conspiracy against Japan.

GAF never disappoints.

omonimo

Banned
It's not going to do good here I'm afraid. Most of the people actually playing it right now are in agreement it seems, but I understand why a lot of people would write the game off after a reception like this. The problem is I feel this game is what I'm calling a flawed gem. I know a lot of people are going to say I'm a rabid fan or blasphemous for saying this, but I thought of while playing the game it likened to something like Deadly Premonition, or God Hand, or MadWorld. It is a flawed gem that has just that, flaws, but behind its flaws there is actually quite a bit of fun to be had.

I think this game is superior to RE5 in every way besides balance. But it has a much stronger single player with improved AI, a much better co-op experience. I even think Mercenaries is a lot more fun. But for now I am guessing people are going to jump on this bandwagon no matter what the people actually playing/have played it say/think. Games like this usually don't get appreciated until later.

Like the demo?

The meltdown by some fanboys in here is amazing.

wanna see fun? See people with an agenda on the review thread rubbing their hands till they peel off cancelling 20 invisible preorders.

Like the demo?

I would advise you to go back to the review thread, whereyour enjoyment of the low scores actually has a support group. After everything you said yesterday here, it would be like... appropiate.

PS: I don't even know which thread i'm in anymore, lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Resident Evil 4 is what started this supposed mess, Andrew. If people had given it shit for nudging the franchise in the wrong direction, Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 would have been truer to what die hard fans want from the series.

Now it's too late and I think instead of lambasting Capcom for the natural progression, those that want "classic RE" should embrace action Resident Evil or completely ignore action Resident Evil and hope when Capcom reboots the series next gen that they go back to basics or that they (or another studios) creates the survival horror game desired. Visceral got close with Dead Space but that too has gone action because that's where the money is, apparently.

Now personally, I don't care because I liked Resident Evil 5 for being a really big Japanese action game with high production values. I think Japanese action games, when made well are the best kind and as RE6 looks stupidly crazy, bombastic, and has a lot of content I'm going to play it and probably love it.

So what are you complaining about? Sounds like everything turned out awesome for you.

RE5 wasn't a "natural progression" and blaming RE4 for what RE5 and RE6 have done (good or bad) is just absurd.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
PowderedToast said:
reality: re6 still contains more imagination and innovation than most (if not all) AAA western games.

Hmmm...

EDGE-ONLINE said:
It’s a bloated, often incoherent game, but the most frustrating thing about Resident Evil 6 is that (Chris’s focus on cover shooting aside) it’s not an unimaginative one. It might feel padded at times, but Capcom always has something new to show you after the filler, such as a fresh campaign, another repellent boss form, a surprising enemy type, a co-op vehicle section, or an odd location to explore. Even replaying a chapter from the perspective of your teammate will offer a tweaked weapon set and slightly altered routes. In always trying to offer something more,

Doesn't sound that off the mark to me.

What's weird to me is that it seems that Capcom have simply overstretched themselves trying to please everyone, which is unfortunate, but hardly an ignoble mistake. Yet people are getting all salty and offended like they have simply "phoned it in".

Weird, the message being sent seems to be: "Don't try. just be happy with the creative box you put yourself in with RE4".

I don't think its neccessarily a case of the Western press being anti-Japanese, I just think it symptomatic of everything that's wrong with the enthusiast press. i.e. not enough attention is given to ambition and intent, and far too much focus is placed on the minutia of execution. I could go on, but the simple truth is the titles most lauded this gen by these people have on the whole left me cold, whereas others (like Nier) got trashed despite having far greater worth than their presentation suggests.

Bottom line for me is that the opinions of most of these sites are, frankly, irrelevent to my interests. So whether they choose to laud or slam big-games like this doesn't bother me one iota. I thought the public demo was ok, so I may grab RE6 at some point.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What's up with the balance?

Also mercenaries looked kind of barren until 1-2 minutes in.

The game has very uneven levels of quality, some areas are really fun while others are pretty bad. The game at it's best has some of the best highs of the series, but when at its worst it also has some of the worst lows in the series. The game has flaws, but behind those flaws there also is quite a fun game here, too.

I knew I was already gonna love it after having played the demo countless times, but I'm still having a blast right now

600 people lol

Oh Capcom, you so cray

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
what has happened here:

- anti-japanese sentiment has reached a tipping point in western press
- capcom are an acceptable developer to criticise due to their mixed business practices
- the game is bloated and excessive, but it's also difficult and has a steep learning curve

consequently, re6 becomes the perfect target to;

a. prove journalistic integrity by tearing down an AAA title
b. slaughter a hugely popular japanese brand with a sound 'motive'

reality: re6 still contains more imagination and innovation than most (if not all) AAA western games.

This hits the nail on the head, and describes why I give no mind to what reviewers have to say.

I feel like journalists are falling over themselves to criticize this game (and, by association, Capcom). They get to regain journalistic integrity by saying, "Hey, we give AAA games bad scores!" But in reality they're only doing it in a safe situation where the hardcore gamer public wouldn't crucify them because Capcom is a safe target. It's like criticizing EA; everyone will cheer you along, so it doesn't really take guts to do so.

I played the demo, and while it wasn't perfect and was somewhat awkward, I cannot for the life of me justify 3s and 4s. Really guys? This game doesn't seem like a broken mess of glitchy mechanics and broken design. Using words like "garbage" to dismiss the game just sounds like the kind of nonsense spouted by an oblivious journalist stroking his ego up in his ivory tower, all the while knowing that his sycophantic followers will be baying for Capcom's blood no matter what.

I hate to keep bringing this up, but Skyrim on PS3 was an objectively broken pile of garbage software; there can be no argument on that point. Did it get mauled in the review department? Hell no. But Bethesda is beloved by fans, whereas Capcom has a legion of haters.

Journalistic integrity indeed.

Hindle

Banned
Why is this a case of them thinking sensibly? The hated a game I am going to hate so they are sensible. Oh no they praised a game I hate so they are all moneyhats and lie to themselves!

This whole mentality is so stupid. Its a bunch of different opinions, everyone has them.

It really isn't though, take ME 3 for example, the game received like forty scores each at 9 or over. Yet most people who played it thinks it's crap. It's just the press bending over.

Resident Evil 5 was a reskinned and inferior version of Resident Evil 4, so it still had elements that made it a focused and polished action game. The jump from Resident Evil 4 to Resident Evil 6 is like The Godfather part one compared to The Godfather part three, it's extremely jarring.

I'd go a step further and say that the Chris section of the demo is almost as jarring as the Gulf War stage in Splinter Cell Conviction. Just completely out of place for the franchise and the game mechanics.

Edit RE: Skyrim PS3

Skyrim is a game where you can realistically play it for 30+ hours (or to completion) without experiencing any of the memory bugs. It's also a non-factor on two of the three release platforms, both of which were probably used as review builds. Reviewers should have gone back and retroactively changed their PS3 scores, but it's not far fetched that it could have fallen through the cracks given the amount of games they have to cover in the holiday window.

All I can think about is the reviewers reading this thread, seeing the spin about east vs west or some bullshit, and going "wuh?"

For the amount of shit people give games writers, you sure do have faith in their ability to produce wild conspiracies

How's cvxfreak taking this, lol

Better idea: stop making Resident Evil games

Agree, they need to let it settle down a bit now. They're pushing them out with no direction at all. Wait a couple of years, reboot the story and take time in making QTE-free and good gameplay. And lose the fucking cheesy and repetitive charcters.

I'm still really conflicted about Capcom.

They've done a ton of damage to most of their core franchises this gen. What they're doing with Mega Man is the poster child of owning an IP you have no idea what to do with.

But EX Troopers looks promising, and I loved Dragon's Dogma. I know they have talented teams, I know they can produce interesting new ideas or at least do a fresh take on a concept they haven't tried.

Trouble is - and this has always been one of their faults - the instant some new idea is successful, they milk it into a shriveled corpse.

They're like a microcosm of the whole industry for me right now.

Another new concept they're working on is Remember Me, which is nothing new but is kinda new for them, and while I thought what we've seen so far looked awful, I was interested to see the final product. I wonder now what effect RE6's critical response - more importantly subsequent commercial response - will have on their Western-leaning projects.

Eidan

RE5 was RE4 with no atmosphere, awful 'co-op puzzles', and worse level and encounter design.

I'll never understand what people find so magical about RE4's "encounter design". Midway through the castle were you still amazed when you'd get locked in a room and have to kill everyone before getting out?

Interfectum

Weird, the message being sent seems to be: "Don't try. just be happy with the creative box you put yourself in with RE4".

Eh, that's not really a bad thing. We had only one Resident Evil 4. They could have easily built on that formula for a few more games. Instead they took RE4 and went full on shooter co-op mode. Really soured me on the series (of which I was a hardcore fan of).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Two worlds collide, rival nations
It's a primitive clash, venting years of frustrations
Bravely we hope against all hope, there is so much at stake
Seems our freedom's up against the ropes
Does the crowd understand?
Is it a East vs. West, or man against man
Can any nation stand alone?

omonimo

Banned
wanna see fun? See people with an agenda on the review thread rubbing their hands till they peel off cancelling 20 invisible preorders.

I would advise you to go back to the review thread, where your enjoyment of the low scores actually has a support group. After everything you said yesterday here, it would be like... appropiate.
It's good to be a so superior person, right? In any case, you are ever right, I imagine.

ironcreed

Banned
I knew I was already gonna love it after having played the demo countless times, but I'm still having a blast right now

600 people lol

Oh Capcom, you so cray

I dig your attitude. You know you are going to have fun, but can still see the faults and why people hate it. I feel the same.

Can we separate the "Japanese Dev Apologism" and the actual quality of a game?

It has become kind of condescending to the japanese devs that they say they love.

Maybe there is actually a decline? Maybe their attempts to cater the West is just a symptom and not the problem?

This hits the nail on the head, and describes why I give no mind to what reviewers have to say.

I feel like journalists are falling over themselves to criticize this game (and, by association, Capcom). They get to regain journalistic integrity by saying, "Hey, we give AAA games bad scores!" But in reality they're only doing it in a safe situation where the hardcore gamer public wouldn't crucify them because Capcom is a safe target. It's like criticizing EA; everyone will cheer you along, so it doesn't really take guts to do so.

I played the demo, and while it wasn't perfect and was somewhat awkward, I cannot for the life of me justify 3s and 4s. Really guys? This game doesn't seem like a broken mess of glitchy mechanics and broken design. Using words like "garbage" to dismiss the game just sounds like the kind of nonsense spouted by an oblivious journalist stroking his ego up in his ivory tower, all the while knowing that his sycophantic followers will be baying for Capcom's blood no matter what.

I hate to keep bringing this up, but Skyrim on PS3 was an objectively broken pile of garbage software; there can be no argument on that point. Did it get mauled in the review department? Hell no. But Bethesda is beloved by fans, whereas Capcom has a legion of haters.

Yup

Lawl at the conspiracy theories now

Why not? Bad games like RE6 losing sales is good. In fact if everyone used the 60 dollars that were previously allocated to RE6 on 6 copies of Vanquish (9.99 at your local KMart!) then there is a high probability that world peace would be attained much sooner.

I propose a new solution. Split the franchise in half. One action oriented thrill ride for the masses (or so they assume) and the other can be the correct way to carry off the foundations laid in RE4.

Let the markets decide which is the more viable and worthy game. I mean, they can develop numerous games at once, why not the same franchise with two complete different approaches in crafting them?

Otherwise we get a game like RE6 with supposedly little cohesiveness and off the wall approach action as opposed to methodical or unsettling horror.

I would advise you to go back to the review thread, whereyour enjoyment of the low scores actually has a support group. After everything you said yesterday here, it would be like... appropiate.

PS: I don't even know which thread i'm in anymore, lol

People that think neogaf is all a conspiracy are just so weird.

Do you seriously want to back up the most moronic post in this thread?

Seriously??

KissVibes

Banned
RE6 commercial failure might indicate a bad future for Capcom. This is depressing.

Resident Evil 6 will probably be the best selling game in the series. Nobody in the mass market give a shit about reviews. Look at the best-selling media properties and their scores. Most of them are rated poorly as fuck. People only care, right here, right now because it meets the bias they have set for Capcom abandoning what Resident Evil was. Which again, all started with Resident Evil 4.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Resident Evil 4 is what started this supposed mess, Andrew. If people had given it shit for nudging the franchise in the wrong direction, Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 would have been truer to what die hard fans want from the series.

Now it's too late and I think instead of lambasting Capcom for the natural progression, those that want "classic RE" should embrace action Resident Evil or completely ignore action Resident Evil and hope when Capcom reboots the series next gen that they go back to basics or that they (or another studios) creates the survival horror game desired. Visceral got close with Dead Space but that too has gone action because that's where the money is, apparently.

Now personally, I don't care because I liked Resident Evil 5 for being a really big Japanese action game with high production values. I think Japanese action games, when made well are the best kind and as RE6 looks stupidly crazy, bombastic, and has a lot of content I'm going to play it and probably love it.

Maybe people didn't give it shit at the time because A) classic RE was getting tired as hell, and B) it was a great fucking game. It's easy to complain about it in retrospect now that RE5 and 6 turned out as they did. At the time, no one would have a reason to be critical of RE4 for the reasons you're offering.

Furthermore, franchises don't develop in a vacuum. Industry trends are just as responsible (I think more responsible) for the move away from the PS1 era RE games.

Riposte

The game has very uneven levels of quality, some areas are really fun while others are pretty bad. The game at it's best has some of the best highs of the series, but when at its worst it also has some of the worst lows in the series. The game has flaws, but behind those flaws there also is quite a fun game here, too.

I see, I misunderstood what you meant by balance.

Can we separate the "Japanese Dev Apologism" and the actual quality of a game?

It has become kind of condescending to the japanese devs that they say they love.

As far as the anti-Japanese angle, the only thing that sticks out to me is just assuming that Resident Evil 6 is a "western-style" game. That makes as much sense to me as calling a Dark Souls a western-style game. I don't like the chain of thought from where that comes from.

Top Bottom