• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

I got grip, and I've said I'm waiting for the real game because the trailer looks good, people just don't like people saying the demo isn't anything like RE.

The game actually took one of the most iconic things about Resident Evil (the slow tense first person animation of opening individual doors) and built an entire game around that perspective, so I'd say it's VERY much just like Resident Evil. More rooted in the original concept than the last decade of RE games hands down.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The game actually took one of the most iconic things about Resident Evil (the slow tense first person animation of opening individual doors) and built an entire game around that perspective, so I'd say it's VERY much just like Resident Evil. More rooted in the original concept than the last decade of RE games hands down.
Haha check my posts, I actually made that joke earlier in the thread.

Finally played the Demo

Is not resident evil, period.
Is not a good 1st person game
Is not PT
The dialog and invisible walls during the video tape scenes are beyond horrible.
It's not scary
Bad graphics

The game feels like if someone from the gone home dev team was given a horro texture pack and applied to their engine, and decided to make a trail and error game of how to get clues and when to try to escape the house.

I'm glad this is not part of the actual game, but if it's anything like it, the franchise is dead to me until a Capcom brings back Japanese devs and reboot the franchise ala Devil may cry 5.

There is not one single good game western devs have made from existing capcom franchises IMO.

TGO

Finally played the Demo

Is not resident evil, period.
Is not a good 1st person game
Is not PT
The dialog and invisible walls during the video tape scenes are beyond horrible.
It's not scary
Bad graphics

The game feels like if someone from the gone home dev team was given a horro texture pack and applied to their engine, and decided to make a trail and error game of how to get clues and when to try to escape the house.

I'm glad this is not part of the actual game, but if it's anything like it, the franchise is dead to me until a Capcom brings back Japanese devs and reboot the franchise ala Devil may cry 5.

There is not one single good game western devs have made from existing capcom franchises IMO.
Is this not made my the RE team then?

Spoo

You have to use your imagination a little bit with this demo to see how it can support RE mechanically.

First, acknowledge what earlier RE games were. Rooms, connected by logical "breaks" in the form of doorway transitions. Mechanically, and technologically, this demo breaks those seams apart -- when you open a door here, they've lovingly brought along the feeling of a transition, but it all occurs in real-time.

We of course have rooms in this demo. But what are in rooms in RE? For one, objects of interest. These objects were often pixel hunts in the older games; you walked along invisible edges of walkable space, trying to find what was usable against a bunch of backdrop materials. You do this here, too, but the game is working in your favor a bit more; objects that can be interacted with now have prompts, so you can quickly rule out what is important from what is just tonal detailing.

Items in the old RE games required inventory space. We have that here as well; in fact, our inventory seems even more limited! This follows from what we know about the character; a simpler individual probably isn't geared to hold much more than what we can in this demo. The clippers alone are large enough to take up two inventory slots.

We also see the player has "active" inventory slots. These are items which can be used immediately, regardless of context. The only item in the demo which does this is unsurprising in nature; it's a weapon. Using L2, the player can ready the weapon (which is also a defense stance) and using R2 use the weapon; using it against the dead carcass shows that the axe has been crafted to respond differently to different materials; this attention wouldn't likely be shown if we aren't expecting to need to chop up some zombies at a later point.

Movement is important to pay attention to. In a game primarily centered around stealth horror, where weapon usage is kept to a minimum, you'd expect to see a few things. First, you'd absolutely expect 'lean' functionality. Peaking around corners is paramount to a game like Amnesia where you are defenseless, and the same is true for Outlast. You'd also expect to see a "look behind" function -- used exhaustively in Outlast to determine how far away creatures and enemies are from you. Lastly, you'd expect to see hiding places; beds you can go under, closets you can climb in, etc.

Absolutely *none* of these elements are here. The only thing we can confirm is the controls and inventory management you'd expect out of a RE game. Nothing more, and nothing less.

In the original games, when you used a weapon (ready stance), you couldn't move. Here it seems as if you'll have some limited movement -- you can sprint, but I don't think we'll be running and gunning. This indicates to me that we'll get something nuanced; run, position yourself, and fire your weapon. Location damage will probably be important.

The limited inventory probably means we can expect to see some inventory management in the form of storage chests as in older games. The demo shows off some very basic puzzles of the form "get item->use item", but it looks like, since we have the option of discarding items (disabled in the demo), we'll need to smart about placement. I would suspect that larger puzzles will show up.

Of course, the game will take place in a mansion area, just as RE1 did. This is about as on-the-nose as you can be with regards to RE DNA. Everything they've built here seems to be a wink and a nod to RE1 when you use a bit of your imagination to see how these systems will work in a much larger game. Unlike PT, the demo here is a more "full-bodied" experience; it has deeper exploration, and in those moments of exploration you can start to get a sense of how interesting this kind of gameplay can fit in an RE mold. Yes, it's different from RE6, but it's not actually much different from the slower pace of RE1.

I can't argue that it appears, tonally, that they are going for something much darker and less camp. If those are the elements of RE you love most, I'd brace for impact.

There is no indication in this demo of any kind of player health, etc. Mechanically, we're missing some things that will obviously be there, unless death is going to be "instant" on hit -- which is a possibility, but I'd imagine unlikely.

My conclusion is that this demo is not very RE-like, but does support everything we'd expect from RE1, if RE1 were in first-person. Movement will still be important. Shooting will be, too. Melee weapons will probably play a much larger role. Exploration will be a key part of the game, at a slower pace. It will be darker, and have more horror influence, but it will *not* be like Amnesia, or Outlast, and the PT elements found in this demo will likely *not* find their way in the full game (if they did, nobody would ever be able to finish it ;)).

So fear not RE fans, and wait for a reveal of gameplay from the actual game. In the mean time, try the demo; looking at it from a different perspective (pure mechanics, fluidity, exploration) may actually impress you. The full game will likely introduce the characters you enjoy, and a scary room that turns you into a Jill sandwich.

My conclusion is that this demo is not very RE-like, but does support everything we'd expect from RE1, if RE1 were in first-person.

Going through your analysis made me realize I immensely dislike RE in first person. The melee combat is gonna be janky with shaky cams, I can imagine it.

Ambitious

Given the size of this thread, it has probably been asked a few dozen times already, so sorry for asking yet another time: Does anyone know the song from the trailer?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I'm curious as to why people keep bringing up "scary".

I can see tense, oppressive, unnerving, or even creepy, but scary? Genuine physical fear?
That's a really powerful emotion and I don't see how any RE game qualifies being that. Even REmake is mostly unnerving/creepy.

Jake2by4

I'm warming up to re7, was skeptic but know that I think about rev1 could be played entirely in fps. So by tgs we might see the real game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The demo requires PS+, correct? Is there by some chance a fringe PSN store where it can be downloaded without the PS+ account? Like N Asian store, or a specific European store, where by some law free stuff has to be truly free or something?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The demo requires PS+, correct? Is there by some chance a fringe PSN store where it can be downloaded without the PS+ account? Like N Asian store, or a specific European store, where by some law free stuff has to be truly free or something?
Do you have already used the two free days on your account?

I can't fathom some of the "complaints". RE7 has finally nailed the horror and atmosphere and the execution so far has been stunning. Inventory, melee, guns will all be in the final game.

ptown

If they're going back to the old environments (especially cramped hallways) of the old Resident Evils and want to attract a bigger audience, I'm not sure fixed camera angles or behind the back RE4 style camera angles would work as well.

With fixed camera angles, it seems like you'd lose the ability to freely see your environment (unless they implement some camera angle switching options which could be jarring). With behind the back camera angles and especially in tight environments, the models can obstruct the view (unless they do some situational see through model stuff like some games do).

Besides going back to these old mansion style environments, atmosphere seems to be what they're focusing on most. First person does change things up and opens new experiences for RE. First, you can't see things behind you for one thing. Also, imagine that danger can come from any angle at any time - under the floor boards or the stairs, in the walls, hanging from the ceiling, etc. (Could you imagine, not initially seeing, but hearing a licker right above you as you enter a room?)

With PT and this demo, a change to first person view emphasizes the power of just looking e.g. down a dark hallway or into a basement or cellar can be pretty terrifying.

Maybe I'm just a big chicken, but first person view in PT and this demo, fills me with more dread and apprehension of the environment as I am about to go around a corner or even look down the hall (which would probably felt to be insignificant in a fixed or behind the back camera view).

Spoo

Going through your analysis made me realize I immensely dislike RE in first person. The melee combat is gonna be janky with shaky cams, I can imagine it.

Could be. And I think, if you dislike FP games that feature melee combat (like Condemned, maybe) than I'd be concerned. I imagine they will have a shotgun and pistol, and maybe some kind of bow-like weapon -- but I don't think we'll be running around with bazookas and grenades lol -- the article linked by More_Badass definitely indicates that combat is going to be a secondary, even tertiary element to this one. (This said, the axe swinging in the game actually feels pretty good and is not disorienting)

In short, if the fast combat of the newer RE games is why you play RE today, this one is gonna be a tough sell.

For me, I've always loved the exploration of RE more than any other aspect. But I'm not so self-centered as believing people love RE for the same reasons I do. The cool thing about the series is that they have done something for everyone at this point, and I think they'll continue to do so.

Could be. And I think, if you dislike FP games that feature melee combat (like Condemned, maybe) than I'd be concerned. I imagine they will have a shotgun and pistol, and maybe some kind of bow-like weapon -- but I don't think we'll be running around with bazookas and grenades lol -- the article linked by More_Badass definitely indicates that combat is going to be a secondary, even tertiary element to this one. (This said, the axe swinging in the game actually feels pretty good and is not disorienting)

In short, if the fast combat of the newer RE games is why you play RE today, this one is gonna be a tough sell.

For me, I've always loved the exploration of RE more than any other aspect. But I'm not so self-centered as believing people love RE for the same reasons I do. The cool thing about the series is that they have done something for everyone at this point, and I think they'll continue to do so.

I'm basically exhausted by the multiple first person indie cheap horror games, so that is where my frustration roots from. Playing the demo didn't help with that notion but saying that its not part of the game brings some solace. As for the combat, I never asked for fast paced action, slow is just fine. Even though the axe animation isn't that disorienting, It is not very satisfying and rather simple.

I was thinking of Dishonored when it comes to combat, never played condemned myself, but I don't know how they can make first person combat any different from previous iterations...

The Ummah

Banned
Given the size of this thread, it has probably been asked a few dozen times already, so sorry for asking yet another time: Does anyone know the song from the trailer?

It's a cover made specifically for the trailer. Somebody has a rip on Youtube, but no official mp3 or anything.

dcx4610

I was really excited with the trailer but after the playing the demo, it felt, I don't now...cheap?

It was a PT rip-off for sure but at the same time, didn't come close to the atmosphere, scariness or even graphics of PT.

I didn't jump or feel nervous at any point during the demo. I still like the direction but I was more scared playing Outlast and I think graphically, it was only on par with that.

Hoping the full game is feels more like a AAA product. It feels very indie and copycat right now.

I was thinking of Dishonored when it comes to combat, never played condemned myself, but I don't know how they can make first person combat any different from previous iterations...

Dishonored's first person melee is kind of a slightly evolved version of Condemned mechanics. It's been some time since I played Condemned originally, but most of these games, especially Outlast, remind me of Condemned minus the combat. Thing is, the combat was the tensest aspect of Condemned, as clunky as it could be. I have yet to see melee combat of any sort done truly well in an FPS perspective. Even Dishonored, and I love that game, feels clunky and weird to the point that I basically never used the melee unless I had to.

This whole affair seems like a day late and a dollar short to me. Picking up one boring trend after the other didn't work anymore. We've seen all this shit before and done better unless they pull one very impressive bunny out of their hat come release day which I just personally can't picture with only 6 months to go. If they had something more impressive, I don't see why they wouldn't show it and release a demo that alludes to their new installment in their flatship series being a trendy knockoff when it isn't.

That being said, if they pull it off, I'll be the first in line to play the shit out of it! RE definitely needs a major kick in its ass after 5 and 6.

Spoo

It was a PT rip-off for sure but at the same time, didn't come close to the atmosphere, scariness or even graphics of PT.

I didn't jump or feel nervous at any point during the demo. I still like the direction but I was more scared playing Outlast and I think graphically, it was only on par with that.

Hoping the full game is feels more like a AAA product. It feels very indie and copycat right now.

The game looks like it's running at a pretty high frame rate, probably because of the VR stuff (90 hertz is required for Morpheus, right?).

I noticed that the models felt sort of low poly, and the resolution might be pretty low on this. Has anyone done a technical benchmark of it yet?

Perhaps the game will have different modes available for visuals when it releases.

Dishonored's first person melee is kind of a slightly evolved version of Condemned mechanics. It's been some time since I played Condemned originally, but most of these games, especially Outlast, remind me of Condemned minus the combat. Thing is, the combat was the tensest aspect of Condemned, as clunky as it could be. I have yet to see melee combat of any sort done truly well in an FPS perspective. Even Dishonored, and I love that game, feels clunky and weird to the point that I basically never used the melee unless I had to.

This whole affair seems like a day late and a dollar short to me. Picking up one boring trend after the other didn't work anymore. We've seen all this shit before and done better unless they pull one very impressive bunny out of their hat come release day which I just personally can't picture with only 6 months to go. If they had something more impressive, I don't see why they wouldn't show it and release a demo that alludes to their new installment in their flatship series being a trendy knockoff when it isn't.
We haven't even seen enemies or combat yet. Or the actual location(s) where the game takes place. Or know really anything about the story

TGO

The game looks like it's running at a pretty high frame rate, probably because of the VR stuff (90 hertz is required for Morpheus, right?).

I noticed that the models felt sort of low poly, and the resolution might be pretty low on this. Has anyone done a technical benchmark of it yet?

Perhaps the game will have different modes available for visuals when it releases.
DF hands-on
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-resident-evil-7-beginning-hour

EG first impressions
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-14-resident-evil-7s-demo-fails-to-be-the-next-p-t

Which echos my opinion too.

The Resident Evil REmake is the pinnacle of survival horror to me. It had it all, photo-realistic graphics, creepy, palpable atmosphere, a chilling score and a decent narrative.

"Resident Evil VII: biohazard" looks to recapture all of that, as well as adding an impressive first-person, VR method of playing; so 'excited' is not a strong enough word for me as a Resident Evil fan regarding this announcement!!

Played the demo it was canny. Very PT/Outlast.

I think Capcom should have done a Konami and did it like PT. named it something not RE and had plenty of hidden stuff and a cool teaser unlocked for RE7 at the end in some way.

As it stands I think people will be confused what it was and why it wasn't RE like in any way. Still whatever this was it was better than the last RE game that's for sure.

That being said, if they pull it off, I'll be the first in line to play the shit out of it! RE definitely needs a major kick in its ass after 5 and 6.

I had the exact same impression of dishonored too. Like you mentioned if this game doesn't wow me after the myriad of first person horror games out therer, I'm just gonna check out and focus on REmake2 and Revelations...

We haven't even seen enemies or combat yet. Or the actual location(s) where the game takes place. Or know really anything about the story

Which is why I wrote unless they pull a surprise out of their hats. What's being presented as of right now is what I'm judging. If it turns out to be cool, good deal.

Played the demo it was canny. Very PT/Outlast.

I think Capcom should have done a Konami and did it like PT. named it something not RE and had plenty of hidden stuff and a cool teaser unlocked for RE7 at the end in some way.

As it stands I think people will be confused what it was and why it wasn't RE like in any way. Still whatever this was it was better than the last RE game that's for sure.

Yup. Things as simple as a title bring expectation to most people. I think giving a different name, and stating for the get go that RE7 will play differently from the teaser would've been the smarter move.

TGO

Yup. Things as simple as a title bring expectation to most people. I think giving a different name, and stating for the get go that RE7 will play differently from the teaser would've been the smarter move.
I agree, I think that's my main problem
I'm being told this is Resident Evil and it's not.
PT did it in smarter way
My brother is playing the demo now and his first reaction is "this ain't like Resident Evil" and he hasn't played the last 3

Wild Card

What's a worse approach, showing off a new game with a CG trailer with no gameplay, or a trailer and demo that is actually not indicative of the game they are trying to show off?

What's a worse approach, showing off a new game with a CG trailer with no gameplay, or a trailer and demo that is actually not indicative of the game they are trying to show off?

The demo option. It's totally bizarre to me to release a demo that supposedly isn't indicative of the final game they're trying to sell me with said demo.

The demo option. It's totally bizarre to me to release a demo that supposedly isn't indicative of the final game they're trying to sell me with said demo.
It is indicative, in some ways. Tone, perspective, the nature being a regular guy instead of a superhero of a man. A mood piece essentially

Bergerac

Incorrect.

RE1 also has a bunch of stuff which made its way into RE6 not found in this demo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing off RE7 based on it, but let's not pretend that it's any more faithful than RE6 is to the franchise.

Melee emphasis was RE6's ultimate step away. Enemies weren't monsters to be feared anymore, they were now blow up dolls to go Kenny Omega on.

Finally got round to playing it and although I was a little worried by the strong negativity of many "seasoned RE fans" I loved it.

I actually feel like it is surprisingly close to being a VR version of an original RE title. It's about exploring, looking for objects and backtracking to combine them with other items or obstacles you have found in order to progress, and stumbling into horrors along the way - in that sense it reminds me more of RE 1-3 and SH than RE 4 onwards does.

For that reason it felt much more fun and rewarding to me than your typical "go from point A to point B to pull a switch" first person horrors like Outlast, and I can see how this format and presentation tell a clear, engrossing narrative.

I don't really have anything bad at all t say about the demo. Obviously the graphics are meh by console standards, but by VR standards it's excellent and the art direction does a lot to lift it even further.

Could be the VR killer app. If they pull it off it could be huge imo.

If it hasn't been talked about yet, I want to ask about the engine. Why couldn't they use Panta Rhei? RE engine looks like RE 6. Unfortunately, I'm not so much impressed.

Top Bottom