• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

dr guildo

Played for the first time.

I LOVED IT!!!

Man I can't understand all the complains. People have been bitching about RE for years! After RE6 it seemed like no one gave RE a fuck anymore.

Now we have a fresh take on RE, on fucking VR and people are still complaining??? Geez...

We are still getting the regular RE gameplay with RE2 Remake, I'm glad Capcom is taking chances and I'm going to pre order this right now to show then support.

This is the kind of game I want to be playing on VR.

This !

That thread reminds me the DoomGameplayReveal's one, when everybody was downplaying the game. Now we know the story...

Alfrays

Neo Member
i hope they do another survey so that i can express all my bad feeling toward this game. I can't buy a game like this, first person make me sick … and RE is one of the few of my favorite sagas. Really, my heart is broken.

Plasma

Banned
Prove me that I'm wrong:

Third person RE = You can peek around corners and have a clear view of what's ahead. Game being thrown into the toilet

What are you talking about in the old Resident Evil games the camera angles and enemy placement were designed so you couldn't see what was coming up ahead.

News Bot

Banned
What are you talking about in the old Resident Evil games the camera angles and enemy placement were designed so you couldn't see what was coming up ahead.

And when you did it was usually daunting and oppressive. BIO3 has a number of these moments using large groups of Zombies, usually working their way towards you in a confined space.

KORNdoggy

the demo was great. tension like the good old days of first exploring the mansion in RE1 or dare i say, silent hill. it looks nice. and the perspective makes it all the more intense and immersive. sold!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is there any kind of timed release on this, I'm in the process of moving and won't have an online PS4 for a couple of weeks.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Someone spotted a BIG HINT that might suggest Resident Evil 7 will come with a demo of REmake 2:

e178f69d72bf24f8c9d0f59d369f0640.jpg

Neff

Regarding the camera, some of my favourite heart-pounding RE moments are where the enemy misses your character by a pixel as you dash out of the way. Being able to see proximity and collision affecting your character presents a feeling of vulnerability (and empowerment) in a way first person can't. It also enables more sophisticated enemy attack design since you're able to see and react to attacks coming from more angles.

I expect first person RE to be no more or less exciting/scary than the million first person games already out there, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can do what few have been able to in the last decade or so- to make first person feel fresh again.

Someone spotted a BIG HINT that might suggest Resident Evil 7 will come with a demo of REmake 2

That's amazing.

4m sales guaranteed.

Ludens

Banned

People reporting this...it means nothing, maybe the demo level is just crafted ad hoc so it's not a section you will find in the game, this doesn't mean RE7 will be a totally different title from the demo. Capcom is selling the game with this demo and the E3 trailer out, so I take what Capcom tells me and I consider the demo a demonstrative of RE7.

gconsole

Not sure if this has been mentioned? But I just realise that the director of this game is Koushi Nakanishi who is the same guy directing all Revelations.

Demoskinos

I wonder if that is a really subtle RE2 Remake demo announcement? I mean if VII is coming out in January like they say it is then they might actually have a playable build of the RE2 remake by then.

LUXURY

What am I doing wrong... I finished it in literally 20 minutes. I felt like I missed something.

Honestly, after the initial shock and joy the game really does feel like one of those first person Steam mystery games or P.T. It isn't a bad thing at all though.

sweetdee

Neo Member
I LOVED that demo! I'm not a die hard RE fan I guess - I played maybe 80% of RE1 and then the game crashed due to a scratched disk and I never finished it. I played about the same amount of Code Veronica and never finished, and then played RE4 to completion and maybe half of RE5. Maybe I have a different idea of what RE "should" be to someone who ate up all the games until now. But this was fantastic imo - I was tense as hell the whole time and jumping at shadows. I think this might end up being my favourite game of the series. People saying it was no good must have approached the game from a point of view of desperately wanting it to be an action game or a character game I guess - but this is a fantastic HORROR game. Love it. Can't wait to see the final thing. The atmosphere was dead on for me.

gconsole

He directed REV1. Yasuhiro Anpo directed REV2.

Oh really? Then IMDB is wrong ?
I don't usually remember non mainline director's name so I thought it has the same director (just search Anpo name and it doesn't mention him anywhere in RV2 credit) . Anyway as per people's reaction here ...

gconsole

Thank you, so the revelations team is behind this game?

I don't think it's response by the whole team. Staff is pulled into different team all the time in the same company. But (maybe un-) surprisingly that RE has change its director in almost every game. Only original and 4 that has the same director ( Mikami )

News Bot

Banned
Oh really? Then IMDB is wrong ?
I don't usually remember non mainline director's name so I thought it has the same director (just search Anpo name and it doesn't mention him anywhere in RV2 credit) . Anyway as per people's reaction here ...

It does mention him in the REV2 credits. Use a source other than IMDB. Anpo also directed BIO5 (though at the time the producer had more clout).

Inuteu

Sorry if already answered: but theres any way to open the closed drawer in the kitchen?

the finger that looks like a key does nothing there

I was hoping to find the solution for this after founding the fuse and etc

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Sorry if already answered: but theres any way to open the closed drawer in the kitchen?

the finger that looks like a key does nothing there

I was hoping to find the solution for this after founding the fuse and etc

To get the closed drawer open in the kitchen, in the videotape world, look at the floor behind the microwave to find a lockpick, and then open it up in the videotape world.

Then return to the real world and check it.

Jake2by4

I don't think it's response by the whole team. Staff is pulled into different team all the time in the same company. But (maybe un-) surprisingly that RE has change its director in almost every game. Only original and 4 that has the same director ( Mikami )

Thinking about it now revelations 1 could be played entirely in first person, resident evil 7 FPS could have came from that too.

Inuteu

To get the closed drawer open in the kitchen, in the videotape world, look at the floor behind the microwave to find a lockpick, and then open it up in the videotape world.

Then return to the real world and check it.

thanks a lot

I would never imagine that. In the second playthrough I was more interested in following that producer guy in that part. but the game creates an invisible wall there

gconsole

thanks a lot

I would never imagine that. In the second playthrough I was more interested in following that producer guy in that part. but the game creates an invisible wall there

Yep, I think the puzzle design in this demo is pretty excellent by itself. Still , people is not happy ....

silva1991

Played for the first time.

I LOVED IT!!!

Man I can't understand all the complains. People have been bitching about RE for years! After RE6 it seemed like no one gave RE a fuck anymore.

Now we have a fresh take on RE, on fucking VR and people are still complaining??? Geez...

We are still getting the regular RE gameplay with RE2 Remake, I'm glad Capcom is taking chances and I'm going to pre order this right now to show then support.

This is the kind of game I want to be playing on VR.

This is not a fresh take on RE

it's simply not a RE game

you can't for instance turn DMC5 into an open world first person game with a Skyrim combat and say it's a fresh take on DMC

I hated RE6, but this demo makes RE6 look like a religiously fanatically faithful to the old school RE games in comparison

RE6 might have been a bad RE game, but at least it has RE DNA all over it

this demo is no different than the countless first person horror games that Pewdiepie and other youtubers play.

gconsole

This is not a fresh take on RE

it's simply not a RE game

you can't for instance turn DMC5 into an open world first person game with a Skyrim combat and say it's a fresh take on DMC

I hated RE6, but this demo makes RE6 look like a religiously fanatically faithful to the old school RE games in comparison

RE6 might have been a bad RE game, but at least it has RE DNA all over it

this demo is no different than the countless first person horror games that Pewdiepie and other youtubers play.

People say EXACTLY same thing when RE4 was first revealed.

Seyavesh

People say EXACTLY same thing when RE4 was first revealed.

to be fair i'd trust them if they did say that since that means they'd have to know about let's plays or the first person horror boom in 2004 which means they're either time travellers or clairvoyant

Nemesis_

If per people think those things in The Beginning Hour are puzzles then it's really sad to see how far the bar has lowered over the past decade.

myco666

Yep, I think the puzzle design in this demo is pretty excellent by itself. Still , people is not happy ....

If you find super obtuse puzzles with no hints on what you probably should be even trying to do good then sure the puzzle design is excellent. To me it is really bad puzzle design. Then there are other things that make me really not happy.

- First person. I don't think this adds anything to the game and considering how many FP horror games we already have I don't understand why RE also had to go that route.

- Lack of enemies. There is one enemy and it isn't even a encounter but just scripted event. More importantly it isn't a BOW but just a hobo with a bloody face.

- It is really boring. The exploring isn't exciting and the demo isn't even remotely scary. It tries to be scary but it doesn't succeed being scary. It doesn't even have the camp that all other RE games have and instead is super serious.

Just really hope the full game is very different from what we have here because I am not impressed.

Nemesis_

You didn't exactly make VJOLT in the first 15 minutes of RE1, dude.

People have this weird idea that Revelations is a return to the "puzzles" of Resident Evil because you find several items and have to backtrack to use them somewhere. It's about as "puzzle" as the items you find in DMC.

I don't even care that the series isn't about puzzles anymore, it's just more upsetting that people will take anything and call it a puzzle because it's remotely non linear. The standards have slopped irrevocably

Not to mention that the VJOLT puzzle was well designed and we'll telegraphed. Nobody knows what to fucking do with the mannequin finger. Is that good puzzle design? Being purposefully obtuse isn't imo

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Revelations is shit. The first three missions are cool and build a little bit atmosphere, after that it becomes ActionResi again. The Sequel doesnt even try to have a scary mission before getting more action oriented again.

But I guess thats all what it needs after 5 and 6 to fool people in thinking That these games are the scary ones.

I think they're going to do some really interesting things with the videotape narrative in this game, allowing the player to affect the present by doing things in the tapes. And also the presence of the ghost only in the tapes could indicate that the 'supernatural element' only shows up on celluloid, not 'real life'. This could mean that the scares could really ramp up in the tape sections in RE7 because they can incorporate all kinds of supernatural stuff, and then make the present day stuff about being stalked by psychos or something.

Nemesis_

Revelations is shit. The first three missions are cool and build a little bit atmosphere, after that it becomes ActionResi again. The Sequel doesnt even try to have a scary mission before getting more action oriented again.

But I guess thats all what it needs after 5 and 6 to fool people in thinking That these games are the scary ones.

They're not shit but they're criminally overrated by everyone here.

I think they're going to do some really interesting things with the videotape narrative in this game, allowing the player to affect the present by doing things in the tapes. And also the presence of the ghost only in the tapes could indicate that the 'supernatural element' only shows up on celluloid, not 'real life'. This could mean that the scares could really ramp up in the tape sections in RE7 because they can incorporate all kinds of supernatural stuff, and then make the present day stuff about being stalked by psychos or something.

I like that aspect, even the simple stuff like showing you where the lever was in the fireplace was great. I wonder if the developers are a fan of V/H/S

TyrantII

People have this weird idea that Revelations is a return to the "puzzles" of Resident Evil because you find several items and have to backtrack to use them somewhere. It's about as "puzzle" as the items you find in DMC.

I don't even care that the series isn't about puzzles anymore, it's just more upsetting that people will take anything and call it a puzzle because it's remotely non linear. The standards have slopped irrevocably

Not to mention that the VJOLT puzzle was well designed and we'll telegraphed. Nobody knows what to fucking do with the mannequin finger. Is that good puzzle design? Being purposefully obtuse isn't imo

Yup, bring blue key to blue door didn't make Doom a puzzle shooter.

There's a lot of that in old school RE but it tied into item management and exploration. Then there real puzzels as well like Vjolt.

I do feel this demo is trying too hard to capitalize on PT, but at the same time I like the direction it's taking.

Top Bottom