• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 demo data-mined *MAJOR SPOILERS REVEALED & UNMARKED*

Interesting to see that you do indeed deal with the Bakers for the entire game along with the molded and insects. That's gonna disappoint some people.

But seriously, how is this normal? They put a text summary of the game in the files?

I remember data mining Mass Effect 3 demo. It showed that there was originally a Virmire 2.0 scenario and that Javak was integral to the plot. Kai leng was also more of a character that you interacted with often than just the couple scenes and boss fight.

Not sure if it's normal, but there's past examples out there.

Zoe is probably the ghost girl, and I suspect Eveline is the grandma that looks to not be doing much...

I'm fairly certain the wheelchair bound individual's name is Camille.

Jawmuncher

I remember data mining Mass Effect 3 demo. It showed that there was originally a Virmire 2.0 scenario and that Javak was integral to the plot. Kai leng was also more of a character that you interacted with often than just the couple scenes and boss fight.

Yeah considering the demo age and such, some of the stuff posted probably has changed.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Well that's disappointing.

I think it's fine in this case. It's obviously VR focused, so his actual looks aren't important. The previews out there told me that he's quippy enough to be a memorable character in his own right. So he doesn't need a face IMO.

I'm fairly certain her name is Camille.

Pretty sure that name came from some Youtube faker, that later tried to reference a Dengeki translation to prove his claim, only for a Japanese speaking person on Reddit to come out, and say that there was no reference to a Camille in the article he was talking about.

Yep. Javik was originally designed as part of ME3 (you can see him in a BTS video on a computer screen) before EA made them cut him out for DLC...and I seem to remember reading (a rumor) that Kai Leng was going to be a squad mate who turned traitor.

Jawmuncher

I think it's fine in this case. It's obviously VR focused, so his actual looks aren't important. The previews out there told me that he's quippy enough to be a memorable character in his own right. So he doesn't need a face IMO.

Pretty sure that name came from some Youtube faker, that later tried to reference a Dengeki translation to prove his claim, only for a Japanese speaking person on Reddit to come out, and say that there was no reference to a Camille in the article he was talking about.

I see where you're coming from but a face of some sort is integral to becoming memorable. I can't think of any memorable faceless characters. Even master chief has his mask.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I see where you're coming from but a face of some sort is integral to becoming memorable. I can't think of any memorable faceless characters. Even master chief has his mask.

To keep with the FPS horror theme...the Phone Guy from Five Nights at Freddy's, is never seen, and yet is one of the most talked about characters in that series.

Yep. Javik was originally designed as part of ME3 (you can see him in a BTS video on a computer screen) before EA made them cut him out for DLC...and I seem to remember reading (a rumor) that Kai Leng was going to be a squad mate who turned traitor.

He was the Virmire Survivor's partner from Alliance SpecOps, and is with them on Mars. If you found the VS being skeptical being odd, it was due to that Kai Leng originally was calling into question your choices and swaying the VS against you.

Crazy remember ingredients all the changes they made, yet they still had the three endings :p

As for RE7, obviously a lot is missing. The flying enemies aren't present, nor is the Grenade Launcher and most of the grenades we know of.

Jawmuncher

To keep with the FPS horror theme...the Phone Guy from Five Nights at Freddy's, is never seen, and yet is one of the most talked about characters in that series.

Most talked about, I wouldn't think would equal memorable. Can ethan without a face really stand up with the other characters in the series we have had this far? I'm not saying necessarily that he can't, but not being able to see his face is going to hamper that a bit. Especially since it kind of hinders the community if they want to do more with the character.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Most talked about, I wouldn't think would equal memorable. Can ethan without a face really stand up with the other characters in the series we have had this far? I'm not saying necessarily that he can't, but not being able to see his face is going to hamper that a bit. Especially since it kind of hinders the community if they want to do more with the character.

I just don't think having a face, gives a character any memorable characteristics in the RE series. Jake Mueller has a face, and yet I don't ever want to see him again. And I platinumed RE6 on PS3 AND PS4!

Meanwhile the few quotes I have seen from Ethan (from talking about his wife, to complaining about the setting of RE7 itself), are already making him a decent enough character as far as my tastes go. Like...I don't need to see his face, to know I'll like the guy already. He's already a more approachable, and likable character than many of the most recent additions to the canon.

Levito

Banned
Gosh this is disappointing if true. Resident Evil's overarching story is absolutely terrible, I was hoping this game would keep that stuff to a minimum.

Guess we'll see.

dlauv

Yeah. If a design is strong enough it can survive without a face and even without a voice.

Master Chief and Gordon Freeman, respectively.

Likewise, third-person characters aren't always memorable. Sebastian Castellanos is garbage. Jake is Gen 7's favorite white male voiced by Gen 7's favorite white male.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Gosh this is disappointing if true. Resident Evil's overarching story is absolutely terrible, I was hoping this game would keep that stuff to a minimum.

Guess we'll see.

Read the rest of the topic! Wesker isn't in the game. The story is safe!

Jawmuncher

I just don't think having a face, gives a character any memorable characteristics in the RE series. Jake Mueller has a face, and yet I don't ever want to see him again. And I platinumed RE6 on PS3 AND PS4!

Meanwhile the few quotes I have seen from Ethan (from talking about his wife, to complaining about the setting of RE7 itself), are already making him a decent enough character as far as my tastes go. Like...I don't need to see his face, to know I'll like the guy already. He's already a more approachable, and likable character than many of the most recent additions to the canon.

Like I get where you're coming from. But having no face or anything to ever see I think is gonna hurt ethan in the long term.

Yeah. If a design is strong enough it can survive without a face and even without a voice.

Master Chief and Gordon Freeman, respectively.

But those have a design still to them that you see. I think that plays abbot factor. I don't think Leon would be as popular as he is, if somehow capcom kept his face secret in all the games he's been in.

Hey Jaw, what would you say if Dino Crisis 4 went first person?

Would depend on the gameplay. If they tried to keep Regina faceless through it I'd be mad.

dlauv

I feel like we'd have to see Ethan Winters' design at some point. If we don't see artwork at any point ever I'd be pretty surprised.

Leon's got his hair, but he couldn't have been a less interesting character to look at or listen to in Resident Evil 6. Conversely, HUNK is pretty popular without his face.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Naming the final boss Albert is a ridiculous cocktease if it isn't Wesker.

If they named the final boss of RE8 something like Archibald Leon...It's not a cocktease, in the same way that someone named Eveline Albert isn't a cocktease.

KyleCross

How do you know they won't be memorable? They might be super cool.

And you know that how?

Gonna assume you're just playing devil's advocate here. You don't honestly believe these characters are going to be able to hold a candle to past RE characters do you? Their entire point are to be bland everyday people, do you consider the various teenagers in slasher films to be "memorable?" The only characters in 7 that are going to be memorable are the villains.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Gonna assume you're just playing devil's advocate here. You don't honestly believe these characters are going to be able to hold a candle to past RE characters do you?

And why wouldn't they? Why would only old characters be good in a franchise? Can there literally never be any good stories EXCEPT the very same characters we've already seen for the past 20 years? This is it? This is the end of quality in the RE franchise? Nothing new ever again? That's RICH coming from someone with an avatar from a character in the EIGHTH game in a series. A character that's BRAND NEW in that series, and have nothing to do with the original games.

I know one person who's going to lose it,
giphy.gif

KyleCross

And why wouldn't they? Why would only old characters be good in a franchise? Can there literally never be any good stories EXCEPT the very same characters we've already seen for the past 20 years? This is it? This is the end of quality in the RE franchise? Nothing new ever again?

You are mistakening "memorable" as "new." There's nothing wrong with new RE characters, in fact we've had many memorable characters introduced in the past couple of games.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You are mistakening "memorable" as "new." There's nothing wrong with new RE characters, in fact we've had many memorable characters introduced in the past couple of games.

How about you explain why new characters cannot be good.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Have we really? Because the revelations cast is incredibly forgettable, literally struggling to remember some of their names besides tits mcgee, owtheedge, and JKIloveAdaSimmons.

cvxfreak

I wouldn't bet on Albert necessarily being Wesker. Names have been used multiple times before.

In fact, Jack Baker is the third Jack we've had in the series, and all three were actually villains, too. (Krauser, Jack Norman from REV1 and now Baker)

There was an Edward Ashford and Edward Dewey.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Have we really? Because the revelations cast is incredibly forgettable, literally struggling to remember some of their names besides tits mcgee, owtheedge, and JKIloveAdaSimmons.

Well, if you're reductionist like that, everyone sounds unmemorable. Jake is neat, as are his interactions with Sherry and Chris. Simmons is meh, but his boss fights and constant transformations were amazing. Moira was a really fun and realistic character. Alex's obsession with Kafka was surprisingly apt, even without the deeper pseudo-incestual undertones of the Japanese script. Parker was fairly memorable in Revelations, even if his role was being an Italian Barry. Speaking of Revelations Jessica was such a gosh darn heel and flirt that it's strange that'd you'd forget about her and "[her] sweet ass".
I really tried to forget Jessica 'cause she's dumb as frick, but she's memorable.

xtianmarq

Sure. But still, it pisses me off. It could have been avoided, but yeah, shit happens.

So are you lending credence to the suggestion that the info in this data mine is accurate? I'd like to think that this is Capcom trolling us. They've worked really hard at keeping this under wraps for so long that I'd hate to see it all wrecked this close to release! Surely they are smarter than this?

Blueblur1

I read the spoilers; there still isn't enough to entice me to get this game. I'll have to tune into a Twitch stream come launch.

(The Survival mode did catch my eye though. It would be great if it was Mercenaries or similar to it.)

platakul

Banned
What if the main character is wesker but he doesnt adopt that name until the end when he gets the guns and then he turns to camera for thr first time and puts on the sun glasses and we go oh shit and then he shoots us, the audience

What if the main character is wesker but he doesnt adopt that name until the end when he gets the guns and then he turns to camera for thr first time and puts on the sun glasses and we go oh shit and then he shoots us, the audience

Problem I have with all these Wesker theories is that Wesker was an arrogant maniac who cared nothing for others. I don't see him, or a clone of him, having a wife or going out of his way to help a stranger.

After all, Jake was probably just him seeing an offspring of him would carry though the perfection he thought of himself as, rather than an act of emotion.

Seems like a modern RE way of handling the reveal.

RikkTheGaijin

Capcom Artist
So are you lending credence to the suggestion that the info in this data mine is accurate? I'd like to think that this is Capcom trolling us. They've worked really hard at keeping this under wraps for so long that I'd hate to see it all wrecked this close to release! Surely they are smarter than this?

Maybe I'm trolling too. :p

KyleCross

Stop this. Capcom isn't trolling, they fucked up and left the games script in the demo. We don't know all the facts and people are speculating (like who Albert is) but everything in this mining is true.

Vamphuntr

This isn't like the Mass Effect leak. For ME3 what happened was there was a rough outline of the game inside the demo's file. Seemed to be from early in production since a lot was either cut or altered in the final release. It wasn't based on the exploration of the game's executable. Here it's basically an hex search of the game's file or if you prefer looking around the code for certain flags. I doubt they really took the effort to rename everything in the code to something else just for the sake of it. I mean altering someone could as well break it. Doesn't mean everything will end up in the game though.

A bit weird there doesn't seem to be anything about the creepy grandma though.

Top Bottom