• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 demo MAYBE getting another update in Jan; XB1 digital preorders open

Jawmuncher

maxresdefault.jpg

Demo News
First off the demo update news comes from residentevil.com.br, who got the news from residentevil.com.fr. So it might have just been a misinformed PR rep. Though we all know a update is coming at some point. They also mention that the length from said rep is said to be about 15 hours. Though we know replayability is planned due to the game having multiple endings, and actions in the game changing how things can play out. Also mention that VR players might take longer with the game. I'm assuming due to being in a VR environment, you'll want to explore more I guess. Also the demo is still planned to hit Xbox One and PC at some point.

If you were somewhat disappointed with the updated demo of Resident Evil 7, just wait a little longer. According to a representative of Capcom France, Beginning Hour demo will be updated again in January 2017, probably just before the release of Resident Evil 7.

Again, Capcom said that the demo will come to Xbox One and PC, but not confirmed any date yet.

The information is the partner site ResidentEvil.fr (UltimateRE old) who had the opportunity to attend a conference on the game during an event in France.

In addition to confirming the update of the demo, Capcom released information on the total duration of the game. Resident Evil 7 should last on average 15h to be finalized, but the time may be much greater for those who are playing in VR (between 25 and 30 hours ).

Three DLCs are already planned for Resident Evil 7, which add about 8 hours of gameplay.

Resident Evil 7 will be released on January 24, 2017 for Xbox One, PC and PlayStation 4, with support for PlayStation VR.

Source: http://residentevil.com.br/noticias...-de-resident-evil-7-sera-atualizada-novamente

Xbox Preorder News
Now aside from all of that Xbox One Digital preorders have opened up as well. Both the regular and deluxe (comes with season pass), offer the preorder bonus Survival Pack recovery set. Which are some extra items I believe that can be used in either the normal or bonus difficulty which is part of the preorder bonus (That bonus difficulty can also be unlocked by completing the game once).

Standard: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...2459594)(te1Fq2FCseg-kxlhsa.mf_MRqnA6YrsA.A)()

Deluxe: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...2459594)(te1Fq2FCseg-P1xyc0obAC_ICBH7iCd2LA)()

liquidtmd

Banned
Aww, a Christmas Day update would be a real present! Quite bummed about the last update being very minimal stuff

Hyped for RE7.

Jawmuncher

Aww, a Christmas Day update would be a real present! Quite bummed about the last update being very minimal stuff

Hyped for RE7.

I think it's possible that the update might come out earlier. Guess it depends on whatever timed exclusivity Sony has on the demo. Seems capcom wants everyone to experience the full demo at the same time.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Waiting is hard <_<

It's good that everyone will get a chance to try the demo, though

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
There's been murmers from a few internet corners that the game will probably take most people 12-16 hours to beat and the game was completed about a month ago and is just being polished now, so this matches up with that. Interesting DLC playtime estimate though, I'm very curious what the DLC may entail. Hope it ends up being as good as RE5's additional story chapters, though expect we won't see the DLC until after launch.

Also hope Steam pre-orders go up soon.

Neff

A January update would be pretty useless, people will have made their minds up by then, and those on board will simply be waiting for the full experience.

Capcom's best strategy would be to have an update ready which gives the demo tantalising closure within a month or two, then a delicious wait until release.

Resident Evil 7 should last on average 15h to be finalized

That doesn't sound like a lot for a 2016 mainline RE.

Kazuhira

The length seems to be just fine,i think it took me like 20hrs to beat re4 the first time.
I'm kinda upset that the dlcs adds like half the time it takes to beat the main campaign,if the game is already complete they could've added them as ng+ modes ala 'separate ways' or something.
I'm still pretty hyped about this game,2017 is off to a great start imo :D

Neff

Sounded like RE length to me.

IIRC my first times for the last few RE titles were

RE4 - 21hrs

RE5 - 19hrs

Revelations - 13hrs

RE6 - 39hrs

Revelations 2 - 16hrs

Publishers always push their estimated play time numbers up, so I have doubts, and if content has been shared between DLC then my doubt goes further. The VR estimation thing is really weird, too. I was starting to feel good about RE7 but now my confidence has been shaken once more.

Dusk Golem

A January update would be pretty useless, people will have made their minds up by then, and those on board will simply be waiting for the full experience.

Capcom's best strategy would be to have an update ready which gives the demo tantalising closure within a month or two, then a delicious wait until release.

That doesn't sound like a lot for a 2016 mainline RE.

While obviously we won't know until we know, compared to RE6 it obviously is shorter, but that would make it longer than basically every mainline RE game except RE6 & RE4 (but bring it out to be longer than RE5 and the two Revelations games). Given it's not quantity, but quality, and I'd be very surprised if there wasn't additional content (there's been heavy hints the game has multiple options and a few branching elements, we already know there's an unlockable difficulty available from pre-ordering as well known as Madhouse Mode, and it'd surprise me if the game also didn't have a bonus mode ala Mercenaries, Raid, Battle minigame, or something else new to it).

It's longer than most AAA games anyway, the question then comes is it the right length for it is? For instance, since people love this comparison (though I disagree with it), RE7 will be longer than most first-person horror games like Amnesia, Outlast, and the like if this is all true (the only first-person horror game that may be longer than it is Alien: Isolation). But does it keep itself a well-paced and varied adventure, I think so but again we won't know until we know.

The length seems to be just fine,i think it took me like 20hrs to beat re4 the first time.
I'm kinda upset that the dlcs adds like half the time it takes to beat the main campaign,if the game is already complete they could've added them as ng+ modes ala 'separate ways' or something.
I'm still pretty hyped about this game,2017 is off to a great start imo :D

It's already confirmed the game has Madhouse Mode, the exact details of that are unknown except it's the 'hardest difficulty' in the game, you unlock it once you beat the game once, and it's available from the start if you pre-order. But due to the weird naming for it compared to the rest of the series and some Capcom rep hints, there's a chance that Madhouse Mode remixes elements of the game. We'll have to see if there's another mode as well, but I would bet on it (not in least amount of part literally every main RE game has had a bonus mode with the exception of the original RE1, which was amended in the Director's Cut).

RE4 - 21hrs

RE5 - 19hrs

Revelations - 13hrs

RE6 - 39hrs

Revelations 2 - 16hrs

Publishers always push their estimated play time numbers up, so I have doubts, and if content has been shared between DLC then my doubt goes further. The VR estimation thing is really weird, too. I was starting to feel good about RE7 but now my confidence has been shaken once more.

Keep in mind if you're a person who plays at a slower rate, then your time will likely be increased. I play at a kind of slow rate, but for instance, the average for RE5 is 8-11 hours for most, Rev2 is 9-12 hours, RE6 was 20-25 hours, RE4 was 15-20 hours, and so on. But I usually take my time in these games, so my playtime often ends up being higher than the average as well.

Jawmuncher

So Dusk Golem made a good point in the other thread. Looks like the Box Art might be changing from the little girl to the psychological test logo. Which is fine by me. Since both the Xbox and Steam pages now use this art work.

Original
CteYjiCW8AAQlT1.jpg

Updated (Xbox and Steam)
CteYj-6WgAAytrW.jpg

CteYkfaXYAAI1xd.jpg

Dusk Golem

So Dusk Golem made a good point in the other thread. Looks like the Box Art might be changing from the little girl to the psychological test logo. Which is fine by me. Since both the Xbox and Steam pages now use this art work.

Original
CteYjiCW8AAQlT1.jpg

Updated (Xbox and Steam)
CteYj-6WgAAytrW.jpg

CteYkfaXYAAI1xd.jpg

Yup, I only noticed on the Steam storefront, but they changed the banner from the Plantation with the girl to that version of the keyart from RE7, so it's looking like that will probably be the game's box art.

I also am hoping/thinking the pre-order on Steam will be going up soon, as not only did it just go up on Xbox but the Steam page has seen a number of updates to its page in the last 24 hours, including the banner image update and the release date being set.

bryanee

RE4 - 21hrs

RE5 - 19hrs

Revelations - 13hrs

RE6 - 39hrs

Revelations 2 - 16hrs

Those are some long playtimes for those games. RE4 for example took me just under 14 hours the first time on normal.

Caffeine

i'm hoping the demo arrives in december on pc lol, I have winter break then :p

Those are some long playtimes for those games. RE4 for instance took me just under 14 hours the first time on normal.

my first playthrough of re4 took like 17-18 hours.

Neff

Those are some long playtimes for those games. RE4 for instance took me just under 14 hours the first time.

Well I played pretty exhaustively, died a fair bit and never skipped cutscenes.

If I play now it's closer to 10-12hrs (I still don't skip cutscenes)

So Dusk Golem made a good point in the other thread. Looks like the Box Art might be changing from the little girl to the psychological test logo.

CteYj-6WgAAytrW.jpg

I hope so. That's a way better cover.

Jawmuncher

I personally think we're due for an update in Decemeber. That just seems like a better time frame. Especially if it's right after PSX. As other's said January seems too late. But not outside the realm of possibility of course. Might be a case of if they're able to finish the content up or not. So maybe they're aiming for Decemeber, but not making it a hard goal. Just one they'd like to reach.

Halloween, all I think we'll get is a trailer of some kind.

bryanee

Well I played pretty exhaustively, died a fair bit and never skipped cutscenes.

If I play now it's closer to 10-12hrs (I still don't skip cutscenes)

I haven't played RE4 for a long time. I might have to play it again.

kc44135

Err, wait , they mean 15 hours without the DLC, right? If so, that's a fantastic final length to shoot for, I think. It's what I would consider the sweet spot for a linear game. I'm still kinda hoping there's an extra mode to play, though. Details are still pretty scarce on 7's core gameplay, but it really doesn't seem like Mercenaries would be a good fit for this game based off what we know so far. I'm not sure what would be a good fit myself, but I'd still like something beyond the main game. It's been a staple of the series since the original, after all (RE1's Saturn port had a "Battle Game").

Dusk Golem

That's dumb. Capcom is dumb.

Hoping for meaty DLC, was disappointed with 6 only having multiplayer DLC

It's confirmed that RE7 has three pieces of DLC, the DLC is as follows:

DLC 1: Four Short Stories (I take it these are like VHS segments)
DLC 2: One Additional Story Chapter

Capcom rep claims the DLC together will be about 8 hours long, though we know the DLC will be releasing after launch. All three DLC also come with the Deluxe Edition.

Game also has a pre-order item pack thing that also unlocks Madhouse Mode at the start of the game, but confirmed that's for pre-orders only and RE7 will have no microtransactions.

Err, wait , they mean 15 hours without the DLC, right? If so, that's a fantastic final length to shoot for, I think. It's what I would consider the sweet spot for a linear game. I'm still kinda hoping there's an extra mode to play, though. Details are still pretty scarce on 7's core gameplay, but it really doesn't seem like Mercenaries would be a good fit for this game based off what we know so far. I'm not sure what would be a good fit myself, but I'd still like something beyond the main game. It's been a staple of the series since the original, after all (RE1's Saturn port had a "Battle Game").

Yes, they say 15 hours for the game without DLC and an additional 8 hours out of the DLC. I also know there's been mutterings online in the last few weeks from a few sources that RE7 is around 12-16 hours long for the average player estimated.

Jawmuncher

In a surprise twist, RE7 would have Mercenaries still as basically a separate game just shoved on the disc with RE6 mechanics. Just to throw people for a loop.

kc44135

It's confirmed that RE7 has three pieces of DLC, the DLC is as follows:

DLC 1: Four Short Stories (I take it these are like VHS segments)

Capcom rep claims the DLC together will be about 8 hours long, though we know the DLC will be releasing after launch. All three DLC also come with the Deluxe Edition.

Game also has a pre-order item pack thing that also unlocks Madhouse Mode at the start of the game, but confirmed that's for pre-orders only and RE7 will have no microtransactions.

Yes, they say 15 hours for the game without DLC and an additional 8 hours out of the DLC. I also know there's been mutterings online in the last few weeks from a few sources that RE7 is around 12-16 hours long for the average player estimated.

That's awesome then. Hopefully the DLC's are good. RE5 had a pair of really great DLC chapters. Revelations 2's DLC chapters, not so much.

kc44135

In a surprise twist, RE7 would have Mercenaries still as basically a separate game just shoved on the disc with RE6 mechanics. Just to throw people for a loop.

Haha, never gonna happen, but it would be awesome. I'm still hoping that we eventually get a standalone Mercs game with 6's mechanics. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet honestly (yeah, Mercs 3D is a thing, but having played it, 3DS really wasn't the right platform for Mercs).

Knowing Capcom, I hope the upcoming update won't remove stuff for change elements drastically. I really hope they support PS4 Neo and HDR with the update. January is stillf ar away though.

I am not confident in how this is going. I do hope the Resident Evil house doesn't fuck it up again. There is potential for this one and the first RE game to feel like a RE game in a long, long time.
We'll see how it goes. If they can pull this off (from many aspects), this could be an encouraging sign for Capcom as a whole.

Slightly off-topic, but will Resident Evil 7 have a mercenaries mode? I just realized that I have seen no mention of it. I really hope it does.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Slightly off-topic, but will Resident Evil 7 have a mercenaries mode? I just realized that I have seen no mention of it. I really hope it does.

I won't be surprised if there isn't it. It doesnt fit with the slower pace RE7 appears to have. A Time Attack mode or something similar to RE2's 4th Survivor would be nice tho.

I won't be surprised if there isn't it. It doesnt fit with the slower pace RE7 appears to have. A Time Attack mode or something similar to RE2's 4th Survivor would be nice tho.

We don't know. I'm betting, no. Although Raid Mode could still transition nicely.

Raid Mode, Survivor or something similar would welcome. I just want something fun with replay value outside of the main story.

iBlue

Xbox users are getting the season pass for free just for getting the standard edition.. WTF Capcom. I own an xbox one as well but i am pretty sure this game will end up running better on the PS4.

Top Bottom