• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Developers Discuss the New Evolution of Horror

dlauv

RE4 was a bigger departure than people would like to admit, although there was some aesthetic cohesion in sound sfx and art direction.

This looks to be hitting closer to home, but has a much bigger change in aesthetics.

vpance

Game seems goes on a good path , do not have problem with the FP change (Silent Hill Room was is a good example FP works )

But being honest think new Kojimas game could give us a better idea of evolution of horror.

Low FOV dark corridor horror is such a cheap way to invoke fear. I think that aspect of it alone can overbearingly misguide you in how good of a game you think it is. I guess that's why people love haunted houses and rides - people love to be scared. Well, I don't really. But even if I did I wouldn't want that if it meant losing skillful emergent TPS zombie action co-op combat experiences, since there's not that many of those.

Astral Dog

I honestly think this game will be worse than Resident Evil 6 at this rate. The first person view does NOTHING for me.

Capcom are wasting a numbered Resident Evil on some VR gimmick.

i dont know that is a very high bar to top.

the game is trying something new, not only for VR thing, thats a huge risk not a waste.

ethomaz

Banned
You do know Zelda's coming out that year, right?

But I share your optimism. It's promising that Capcom wants to reinvent RE once again. RE4 will never be topped by a similar style game in my opinion. The question is: what is RE7 going to do to distinguish itself from the multitude of first-person horror games out there?
That why I said at launch... RE7 is February.

Squire

Banned
Åesop;208273225 said:
While REmake is my favourite game of all time, this was just a Remaster for the quick $, same thing with Zer0. I have around 1% faith that they are still able to create a good game like that. Also they proved many times that they have no clue what people want. Revelations was a bit better than RE5/ RE6 but still a terrible Resident Evil in my opinion

Who is "people"? RE fans that post on message boards? You seem to be discounting the fact RE has sold really well in the action mold. 5 sold great, 6 did better, and most hardcore RE "fans" don't think highly of either game.

There's a balance to find between a game that will sell like those and one that will make stalwarts happy. Although, Capcom doesn't even have to find it, if they don't want to. You can easily make another RE6 that's cheaper to develop (as in, not three campaigns), but probably still looks better graphically, and sells better. Horror fans are pretty lucky they're being thrown a bone at all, honestly.

Who is "people"? RE fans that post on message boards? You seem to be discounting the fact RE has sold really well in the action mold. 5 sold great, 6 did better, and most hardcore RE "fans" don't think highly of either game.

There's a balance to find between a game that will sell like those and one that will make stalwarts happy. Although, Capcom doesn't even have to find it, if they don't want to. You can easily make another RE6 that's cheaper to develop (as in, not three campaigns), but probably still looks better graphically, and sells better. Horror fans are pretty lucky they're being thrown a bone at all, honestly.

I think 5 actually outperformed 6. The recent port of 6 may have had a slight boost, but with no marketing behind it that's unlikely any form of significance. 5s port next week will likely make it entirely neglible.

And RE2 isn't far behind 5, and the recent remasters of REMAKE and 0 sold well despite being silent releases. So there's reason that a horror RE with the marketing push behind it (the last Anderson film releases around the same time also) can do really well.

I know that isn't what fans who prefer 5 and 6 want to hear, but the sales discussion isn't as simple as action sells and horror can't. Hopefully that argument crutch in RE fan civil war discussions is laid to rest, though Capcom better show the actual game before opinions solidify that the demo is what it is. Otherwise it may underperform.

dlauv

I think they stopped because they were trying to outdo themselves with more budget and it wasn't paying off. RE4 sold 5.6 million across PS2, Gamecube, and Wii, for instance. Couple that with declining critical opinion.

Squire

Banned
I think 5 actually outperformed 6. The recent port of 6 may have had a slight boost, but with no marketing behind it that's unlikely any form of significance. 5s port next week will likely make it entirely neglible.

And RE2 isn't far behind 5, and the recent remasters of REMAKE and 0 sold well despite being silent releases. So there's reason that a horror RE with the marketing push behind it (the last Anderson film releases around the same time also) can do really well.

I know that isn't what fans who prefer 5 and 6 want to hear, but the sales discussion isn't as simple as action sells and horror can't. Hopefully that argument crutch in RE fan civil war discussions is laid to rest, though Capcom better show the actual game before opinions solidify that the demo is what it is. Otherwise it may underperform.

Fair enough. I don't really have a dog in the race since I like RE as a whole. If anything, you added to my core point, which is that it's silly to assert Capcom "doesn't know what people want" when these games sell the way they do. There are many publishers/studios that would thank their lucky stars of their series games sold anything close to 5m copies.

Game seems goes on a good path , do not have problem with the FP change (Silent Hill Room was is a good example FP works )

j7s6bjBqRpQ8jeGBtWMkdWSxYyPlu2MgDPrC-iJTr_Pp0qstZ57dEZj_Wd8hECuqqOJ1yzDsvb2WeS58sV0A8hrpd2Xd37rEvgi3qoUvYeurUENtht2lNbTarZheLPr3Zb0POA=w320-h213-nc

But being honest think new Kojimas game could give us a better idea of evolution of horror.

Yeah, making another empty sandbox like MGSV with a nonsense story.

Fair enough. I don't really have a dog in the race since I like RE as a whole. If anything, you added to my core point, which is that it's silly to assert Capcom "doesn't know what people want" when these games sell the way they do. There are many publishers/studios that would thank their lucky stars of their series games sold anything close to 5m copies.

To their credit, when Capcom wants a game to sell, they'll throw everything behind it. Luckily this time around the sales expectations are more realistic/surmount able then the insane goal RE6 faced

It's crazy this series has done so well when it isn't as cookie cutter as some say they are with the action element.

MCD

If I wanted their so called evolution, I'd just play Condemned again.

I will miss having the most fun playing a great third person shooter with my coop buddies. Now all we have is another FPS.

Shauni

I think it's more the attempt at total dismissal of the success of those games that's the real problem with this that fans have, but I won't go down that road again. I think it's obvious where those bones fall, and there's no point trying to argue it again.

Only thing thing that disappoints me is the lack of returning characters. RE has such a beloved cast of characters that fans want to see develop and grow. Hope we get info on them.

Only thing thing that disappoints me is the lack of returning characters. RE has such a beloved cast of characters that fans want to see develop and grow. Hope we get info on them.

The director has made a point of saying that mystery and surprise are key to this game. He wants it to be like the original game where there were surprises for the player. So I wouldn't expect him to outright confirm it even if there are going to be returning characters.

What's going to be interesting is to see what they look like if they do return because Nakanishi is making it very clear that he hates what the series has done to characters like Chris.

But not with the budget they were going for that game. You can't maintain a consistent budget if you're struggling with that amount of sales. The fact that BIO7 exists in this form and a push for REmake 2 ultimately asserts they've lost the brand and now they've defaulted back to whatever they thought that made the series great to retain that consumer trust. This is NOT the case with games like Uncharted, GTA who has achieved mainstream success by sticking to their core principles from the start and delivering success and sales to accompany it.

After letting the announcement sink in, I'm very much looking forward to it. The sole existence of an item inventory (and hidden passages) in the demo has immediately upped the feeling of the title for me and this interview sounds very reassuring that this is more than yet another walking simulator cashing in on Slender. It seems like might actually be much closer to classic RE than 4 after all.
I will not become a fan of first person though, in particular in a series known for characters well established in gaming culture. The fp view inherently hinders any kind of possibility that this game will make its own main character as special as previous RE protagonists. Other than that, I'm also hoping that the villains are more than Chainsaw Massacre knockoffs, i.e. not simply crazy rednecks. This family better consists of things like Lisa Trevor and Mendez from RE4.

bratpack

I love the idea of this being set in rural america and having that 70/80s vibe IIRC reading an interview from one of the devs

stuff like texas chainsaw massacre, hills have eyes I love those classic movies.

the louisiana plantation house is great aswell looking on google images at them there creepy as hell and perfect for horror to go down

I cannot wait to see the actual game now

After letting the announcement sink in, I'm very much looking forward to it. The sole existence of an item inventory (and hidden passages) in the demo has immediately upped the feeling of the title for me and this interview sounds very reassuring that this is more than yet another walking simulator cashing in on Slender. It seems like might actually be much closer to classic RE than 4 after all.

Yeah for me it's not even close, the demo alone sorta gave me the feelings of playing the original for the first time, not knowing anything about what's going on, plus the inventory, item inspection, and puzzles, that sort of jazz. The first person perspective doesn't really mean much to me and I feel like they can do better things with it; you've got a perspective that works for pretty much everything Resident Evil is but without the archaic tank controls or less than ideal aiming.

PaulBizkit

Nah man, this game is too scary for me. I'm out !

been a fan since forever i never found these games scary but this is too much

smurfx

get some go again
so it's staying first person eh? guess it's time to ditch the new games for this series then. will stick around for re2 remake and hopefully they do re 3 and code veronica remakes as well.

KyleCross

so it's staying first person eh? guess it's time to ditch the new games for this series then. will stick around for re2 remake and hopefully they do re 3 and code veronica remakes as well.

What if they are making REmake 2 first-person as well?

Duxxy3

I'm not happy with the changes, but I'll likely buy it at some point. I don't think the series will stay in first person after this game though.

In the 20 year history of Resident Evil, you know that the key pillars of the game are fear and horror, exploration of the environment, puzzle-solving elements, resource management, and combat against enemies.
Why were none of these elements except the combat present in RE5 and RE6?

I'm liking what I'm hearing and it seems like Capcom is more in tune with what fans were asking for post-RE6. I'm very skeptical though since after RE4 they killed most everything I enjoyed about the series.

Top Bottom