• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Developers Discuss the New Evolution of Horror

Nerrel

I'm not too excited for RE7, but Capcom is saying exactly everything I want them to in this interview. They really do seem to get it, finally.

mollipen

The series better not stay first person or I'm out. Its just not the style game I like to play.

I'm right there with you. This isn't what I want from the series I've loved since the original, and I've yet to play a first-person horror game I thought was even anywhere close to good.

Moofers

I was actually hoping it WOULD be a ghost story, or at least introduce real supernatural horror elements instead of having everything scary be the result of some failed bio experiment. Oh well.

Still excited for RE7. I really really liked the demo. If the game ends up feeling like Re1 in first person, that'll be fantastic.

People that don't want to play a first person RE thankfully still have RE2make to be excited for, and maybe another Rev title.

And it seems it'll still have the core elements of classic RE. Has there ever been a game like that? A first person horror game but with RE style item managment and puzzles and combat? Cuz I can't think of any.

wuth

I agree with all of these.

Don't we have enough first person horror games already!?

No. Honestly, I can only count a handful of quality 1st person horror games anyway.

There's a lot of room in the genre for improvement and being an early VR game could put RE7 ahead of the game.

Leon Raycloud

Neo Member
Did he said anything about defending yourself , the resource management is in ?
Or did they just took it out ?
I love RE as a survival horror or an action horror game like RE4 , but i hate horror only games like outcast or slender I just don't enjoy them.
I hope at least they have boss fights or something.
I mean when they said they were going back to the roots of the series i thought they were returning to survival horror proper.

First time I've been this excited in an RE game since 4.

First person makes a lot of sense for this series, it's a very tidy way to be able to have atmosphere, exploration, puzzle solving and combat. I don't need to be able to see my character for me to feel like it's Resident Evil.

I agree with all of these.

Don't we have enough first person horror games already!?

With RE style puzzles, item managment and combat? not really.

Did he said anything about defending yourself , the resource management is in ?
Or did they just took it out ?
I love RE as a survival horror or an action horror game like RE4 , but i hate horror only games like outcast or slender I just don't enjoy them.
I hope at least they have boss fights or something.
I mean when they said they were going back to the roots of the series i thought they were returning to survival horror proper.

Read the interview, man.

In your own words, what are the core differences between Resident Evil 7 and previous games in the series?

Nakanishi-san: The demo, just to be clear, isn’t a slice of the game. We really want to focus on what concepts we want players to understand about the game with the demo, and that’s horror. This is a tonal preview of what to expect in the game, rather than a little bit of game content you’re getting in advance. In the 20 year history of Resident Evil, you know that the key pillars of the game are fear and horror, exploration of the environment, puzzle-solving elements, resource management, and combat against enemies. Those are all in this game, but we wanted to start off with the first two – horror and exploration – and get you experiencing those two pillars up front. If you’re thinking that because those other elements aren’t in the demo, that they won’t be in the game, that’s not the case. We’re focusing up front about the message of horror coming home in this demo.

Yeah, not sure what people are going on about. It's just a perspective. For me what separates these things are the actual quality and mechanics. It doesn't make it an Outlast or Slender or whatever ripoff just because it's first person. That's ridiculous. There's so much more to things than that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Åesop;208243210 said:
This is coming from a producer that gave us RE Chronicles, Operation Raccoon City and now Umbrella Corps..and was in the credits for RE5 so until proven otherwise, there's no reason to believe anything they say.

Most likely this is all that they learned:

chris-punches-boulder.gif
Fixed
I really don't understand why Capcom has allowed an unproven producer change RE when theres producers who worked on all the originals and REmake giving fans what they want with the HD Remasters and RE2Remake.
I'm optimistic but my faith isn't there with this new direction, I do like to know what Mikami impressions are.

Johndoey

Banned
Demo was alright, I'm actually interested in where this is going.
Will Leon finally straighten up is the real mystery

Åesop;208243210 said:
This is coming from a company that gave us RE5, RE6, Operation Raccoon City and now Umbrella Corps.. so until proven otherwise, there's no reason to believe anything they say.

Umbrella Chronicles was awesome, and those other games were clearly low budget thingies. It doesn't mean this will be anything like those.

ShinMaruku

I also don't think first person is in Capcom's wheelhouse, but hey make them try something different if it fails it fails.

Åesop;208243210 said:
This is coming from a company that gave us RE5, RE6, Operation Raccoon City and now Umbrella Corps.. so until proven otherwise, there's no reason to believe anything they say.

And the Revelations series. And Remastered REmake and Zer0 with super high sales from it.

I'm sure they know what people want.

I also don't think first person is in Capcom's wheelhouse, but hey make them try something different if it fails it fails.

This is kind of true. The only Capcom games I can think of that are first person are Gun Survivor and the Chronicles games lol

Astral Dog

So far it looks like RE7 is going to lack almost all the charm of previous entries. The only thing that made me smile in the demo was the Welcome to the Family Man.

It's likely going to be some simplified spoopy clickbait shit. Biggest disappointment at E3 by far.
RE R RE5 and RE6 took themselves too seriously at times while having really few horror elements or many charming characters, this might a step up from that, also it was a really short demo fan favorite Family Man was enough :p

Jobbs

Banned
First Person????!? Why? Everything is becoming FPS.

I hate FPS and this is such a disappointing change. Shoulda called it something else.

If I had to speculate as to the reason, the decision may have been influenced by VR, which I don't give a crap about personally.

Yes, and? I said it was a low budget thing, very arcadey. I don't think those games point to how RE7 is going to be. Like, at all.

Umbrella Chronicles and Umbrella Corps are two totally different games. so it's hard to gauge which one you're talking about.

edit: I'm dumb and need to retake reading comprehension courses, sorry

Umbrella Chronicles and Umbrella Corps are two totally different games. so it's hard to gauge which one you're talking about.

Right, I said Umbrella Chronicles was good. Specifically!

He mentioned those three games against RE7. I said I thought Umbrella Chronicles was good, but that these are low budget spinoff things that do not point to how 7 is going to turn out.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
New Evolution of Horror?
I'm lost, a New Evolution of Resident Evil yeah I see that, "Evolution" being the changing of heritable traits
ie, it's not Resident Evil.
But New evolution of horror? this ain't new, I own 6 of the fuckers this gen already.

No. Honestly, I can only count a handful of quality 1st person horror games anyway.

There's a lot of room in the genre for improvement and being an early VR game could put RE7 ahead of the game.

What do you define as "quality?" And also, how does simply switching to first person improve this particular game? Just because it would be VR-compatible? You can simply re-release something like Alien:Isolation formatted for VR, since that game is already in first person.

First person makes a lot of sense for this series, it's a very tidy way to be able to have atmosphere, exploration, puzzle solving and combat. I don't need to be able to see my character for me to feel like it's Resident Evil.

I was able to see my character in all prior Resident Evil games, and some (especially REmake and RE2) were oozing with atmosphere.

I get it, you don't want the other horror games that already are in first person. You want Resident Evil in first person. And I don't. So we're going to have to politely agree to disagree.

Aggelos

Resident Evil 7 biohazard - PlayStation VR reactions E3 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdLZOMwZFI

And Paul W Anderson is there to share his opinion about RE7 VR

When they said that Biohazard 7 is going to return to the series' roots, they meant that the experience that you'll get when you play the game is going to be one of pure dread, fear and terror. The game system might not be same as the one from Biohazard remake, or Biohazard 4 and 5, but playing biohazard 7 should give the player the same feelings of horror as people experienced with the olden biohazard 1 and biohazard remake.
And they might succeed in that, as it seems that game is scary as f*ck (judging from the demo which is not a part-slice from the actual game). Moreover, the 1st PV stands the game in good stead when it comes to scare the crap out of people.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atWkz4xhG0E

I agree Capcom needed to basically restart fresh with the RE formula and it looks like a good place for a new start.

That being said I dont like it at all. FPS anything I can get behind and I enjoy a few FPS horror games quite a bit, but I personally dont feel it works well for Resident Evil. Fortunately I've never played RE2 or RE3 so im excited for RE2HD and hoping for RE3HD in 2018

Astral Dog

Right, I said Umbrella Chronicles was good. Specifically!

He mentioned those three games against RE7. I said I thought Umbrella Chronicles was good, but that these are low budget spinoff things that do not point to how 7 is going to turn out.
Darkside Chronicles is even better :)

I'm just saying, after all these crazy stupid action RE games coming out over the years, even with this being in first person, it feels like a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Do I wish the next mainline RE was a 3rd person horror with fixed camera angles and Pre-rendered 4k backgrounds? Sure, in fact I'd be more excited if that were the case. But if what we're getting now is at least something new to the series that's not just dumb action, I'm happy it exists.

Remember when everyone thought RE7 was just gonna be RE6-2, can we just be happy that that's not happening?

-MD-

I'm super glad they took the series in this direction, a decade of nothing and suddenly two titles (RE2 & RE7) that I'm looking forward to.

Do I wish the next mainline RE was a 3rd person horror with fixed camera angles and Pre-rendered 4k backgrounds? Sure, in fact I'd be more excited if that were the case. But if what we're getting now is at least something new to the series that's not just dumb action, I'm happy it exists.

Agreed.

zoukka

I have full trust in them. The demo was great and it was only a taste of the whole experience gameplay wise.

Aggelos

Fortunately I've never played RE2 or RE3 so im excited for RE2HD and hoping for RE3HD in 2018

It's not RE2HD - it's a complete remake from scratch. And it's probably going to cost them (Capcom Japan) an arm and a leg (budget, effort, creativity, endeavor, resources, creativeness, working time, human capital, etc) to pull it off correctly after so many years (the original was out in 1998).
Thus, it's still a good question whether a RE3Remake is justifiable and of a worthwhile cause....

Jawmuncher

I just want them announce another action game or a full on Mercs game. Umbrella Corps better not be their extent for action fans.

wuth

What do you define as "quality?" And also, how does simply switching to first person improve this particular game? Just because it would be VR-compatible? You can simply re-release something like Alien:Isolation formatted for VR, since that game is already in first person..

I'd say the switch to first person is going to significantly enhance the horror aspect of the series and will make for a far more immersive experience than the 3rd person ever could. So long as it still retains the resource management and creature encounters of the earlier games I'd say this is a step in the right direction for a franchise that has been suffering for quite a while.

The VR is simply piggybacking on recent trends in gaming, and hopefully further future proofing the series as it moves forward.

I know it's annoying to constantly read the impressions of people who are at odds with your preference for 3rd person action, but RE is one of Capcom's premier brands and that name carries a lot of weight. Ask any person on the street to name one horror video game and they'd probably say "Resident Evil." As such, continuing to hurt the franchise with a failing mixture of horror and 3rd person shooting doesn't make sense, nor does trying to develop a new, unproven IP- especially when its so apparent that they are taking advantage of a competing franchise's demise.

Just rework the current IP while retaining the core themes so you've got a strong name branding behind it while courting new players with new technology and gameplay.

Kinsei

Banned
It's not RE2HD - it's a complete remake from scratch. And it's probably going to cost them (Capcom Japan) an arm and a leg (budget, effort, creativity, endeavor, resources, creativeness, working time, human capital, etc) to pull it off correctly after so many years (the original was out in 1998).
Thus, it's still a good question whether a RE3Remake is justifiable and of a worthwhile cause....

I imagine it will all depend on the RE2 remake's sales. I hope we do get one, I love RE3.

I just want them announce another action game or a full on Mercs game. Umbrella Corps better not be their extent for action fans.

I would love a new standalone Mercs game. I'm surprised we haven't gotten one on consoles by now.

You mean to tell me I transcribed this for another thread a week back when they were just going to do it anyway?

sigh

Anyway, some of the reactions are bizarre. Like, I get the reason why folks don't like FPS titles. Sometimes it gives motion sickness, or the perspective with the held weapon and environment doesn't look right, or not seeing the character if it's one that is vocal and not just a blank slate.

But for those that are stating it's terrible because it can't be Resident Evil, I'm not seeing the reasoning behind that. It's a perspective change so far if all the elements from the original styling are in there that they are speaking of. Puzzles can work in first person. Inventory management can work in first person. Combat can work in first person, especially if it's balanced with the ease of aiming in consideration (such as fewer rounds, enemies needing to be shot in the head, and so on).

The only horror games that seem comparable are Condemned and Zombi/U. Both quite effective, with the latter being a technical and narrative disappointment rather than the concept and features.

ethomaz

Banned
Each new interview makes me want more and more this game.

Second biggest surprise of E3.

Love the perfect directions they are aiming.

Sesha

I agree Capcom needed to basically restart fresh with the RE formula and it looks like a good place for a new start.

That being said I dont like it at all. FPS anything I can get behind and I enjoy a few FPS horror games quite a bit, but I personally dont feel it works well for Resident Evil. Fortunately I've never played RE2 or RE3 so im excited for RE2HD and hoping for RE3HD in 2018

Make that RE3make in 2020.

What about the Panta Rhei engine and Deep Down?

All of that went to waste, no use for it in RE7?

Jury is still out on Panta Rhei, but it's probably dead. If not, chances are it'll only be used with Deep Down, like how Luminous will (supposedly) only be used for FFXV.

If the next action RE game was a full on just Mercs/Raid game with all star RE cast to play as with RE6's combat, I'd be in heaven.

Like the 3ds game but with 5 times the content. Let me play as every single RE main character and let me dress them up with anything they've ever worn throughout the series (Leon with his sick RE4 jacket).

And add a bonus Dino Crisis stage and Regina as a playable character.

Fucking do it Capcom!! I will buy all the cosmetic DLC if you do.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I would retain hope for this if the trailer had not already heavily implied that the majority of the game will be played in a somewhat confined location.

I find myself struggling to understand why the development would go in the direction of a ghost story just because P.T. did it well. If I were them, I would find more inspiration from Alien Isolation than P.T. Especially in the sort of environment the demo takes place in. I believe 100% that zombies and the other smaller elements of the og Resident Evil can be made scary again by limiting the player further.

I guess what has been revealed so far has me immensely confused. I love that they are going for a more atmospheric style, but this feels like such a departure from RE.

ShinMaruku

You mean to tell me I transcribed this for another thread a week back when they were just going to do it anyway?

sigh

Anyway, some of the reactions are bizarre. Like, I get the reason why folks don't like FPS titles. Sometimes it gives motion sickness, or the perspective with the held weapon and environment doesn't look right, or not seeing the character if it's one that is vocal and not just a blank slate.

But for those that are stating it's terrible because it can't be Resident Evil, I'm not seeing the reasoning behind that. It's a perspective change so far if all the elements from the original styling are in there that they are speaking of. Puzzles can work in first person. Inventory management can work in first person. Combat can work in first person, especially if it's balanced with the ease of aiming in consideration (such as fewer rounds, enemies needing to be shot in the head, and so on).

The only horror games that seem comparable are Condemned and Zombi/U. Both quite effective, with the latter being a technical and narrative disappointment rather than the concept and features.
Now while I won't say if it is or isn't re I just don't like fps games and only tolerate 2. My issue is Capcom's strong suits don't seem to be in the fps area. That said if the series moves that way, that's fine I am no longer the market for it.

Top Bottom