• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Developers Discuss the New Evolution of Horror

ethomaz

Banned
If the next action RE game was a full on just Mercs/Raid game with all star RE cast to play as with RE6's combat, I'd be in heaven.

Like the 3ds game but with 5 times the content. Let me play as every single RE main character and let me dress them up with anything they've ever worn throughout the series (Leon with his sick RE4 jacket).

And add a bonus Dino Crisis stage and Regina as a playable character.

Fucking do it Capcom!! I will buy all the cosmetic DLC if you do.
I think 3 games now will be like this original appeal... 7, 8 and 9.

KDC720

I'm feeling a bit more confident on this game with each new interview coming out. Still iffy on first person and the decision to go with "average joe" characters, but I'm way more interested in seeing footage of the actual game than I was when it was announced.

Game trivia time: The game director Koshi Nakanishi is not only the director of the first Resident Evil: Revelations game, he is also a former member of Acquire. He is the Director of the original Shinobido, Director of the original Way of the Samurai game and an artist of the first two Tenchu games. He also worked on Resident Evil 5 as a Designer.

Was a bit surprised to see the creator of Shinobido suddenly directing the next mainline Resident Evil. Guy is definitely talented.

Squire

Banned
We're 2/3 already as far as this being RE4 all over again.

Dev inspiration? Check.
Complaints about camera change? Check.

Now the game just needs to be (very) good!

Squire

Banned
These changes seem more dramatic than the modernization RE4 went through.

What changes though? It's the same mechanics from '96, but in first-person.

RE4 basically created the modern third-person shooter as we know it. It goes RE4 --> Gears of War --> Every TPS afterward.

RE7 is mechanics we're all accustomed to in a new perspective. RE4 was seminal.

Jawmuncher

RE4 basically created the modern third-person shooter as we know it. It goes RE4 --> Gears of War --> Every TPS afterward.

That we know of ATM.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?

But since 4 the series has evolved to a focus on combat and movie style action sequences. For all we know, there could barely be a fraction of the combat in this as there was in the previous installments. Hell, the first trailer for RE6 basically showed every enemy in the game. They could be going towards something heavily based around exploration.

Squire

Banned
That we know of ATM.

Well, sure. I don't intend to argue hypotheticals, I'm going off what the people actually making the game are saying.

But since 4 the series has evolved to a focus on combat and movie style action sequences. For all we know, there could barely be a fraction of the combat in this as there was in the previous installments. Hell, the first trailer for RE6 basically showed every enemy in the game. They could be going towards something heavily based around exploration.

That'd be fine with me. Combat isn't integral to a good horror experience either. Not saying I want to be running from threats on every occasion they pop up, but everything in moderation.

Dysun

I really wanted another 4. And yes, I know that's how we ended up with 5 and 6 but there were alot of design decisions in those games that could have been remedied.

7 feels like something else entirely

Newboi

To be fair, it was actually RE4 --> Killswitch --> Every TPS afterward.

Killswitch was the first twin stick covered based TPS as far as I know. It had Gear's control scheme and gameplay before Gears (including blind fire).

Winback on the N64 might throw all this off though (if you don't include twin sticks lol).

That'd be fine with me. Combat isn't integral to a good horror experience either. Not saying I want to be running from threats on every occasion they pop up, but everything in moderation.

Lets not forget, the original games relied on the enemies being avoidable. You didn't want to actually fight them most of the time. You never had enough ammo to take on everything, but enough for emergencies or bosses.

Who knows, maybe stuff like this'll appear in the game.

ethomaz

Banned
I really don't want trailers showing enemies please.

Best part of old RE experience is you hear before see the enemy and be surprised how it looks. Some you didn't even know how it looks after just try to run.

BTW due the starving state of ammo you need to choose: kill or run.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?

That is cool and all, since I agree with you. To your original point however, I think the changes with this have far more potential to be bad than RE4 did. This could develop into such a heavy departure for the sake of the team wanting to crowd please horror fanatics that it might not even feel like Resident Evil anymore.

That being said, the standalone experience could be good, kind of like Halloween 3: Season of the witch.

I'll not crazy about it being first person but it looking nothing like 6 is making me keep an open mind until I see the actual game being played. At least I won't have to wait too long for that.

silva1991

Making a new IP and call it RE7 isn't how evolution works Capcom

MGS series is great example of evolving a series with each entry and make it work and recognizable even of one of them ended up being disappointing in some aspects.

This game though? I'm huge RE fans since the PS1 days, but I hate shooting in first person view for the most part.

Squire

Banned
To be fair, it was actually RE4 --> Killswitch --> Every TPS afterward.

Killswitch was the first covered based TPS as far as I know. It had Gear's control scheme and gameplay before Gears (including blind fire).

I guess that's true, but KS is a footnote in the eyes of history. RE4 was a hit, Blezinski was incredibly vocal about how much he liked it, and then incredibly candid about how it influenced Gears. Obviously Gears sold millions of copies and consoles and the genre booked.

You're technically correct, the above is just my thought process.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Åesop;208243210 said:
This is coming from a company that gave us RE5, RE6, Operation Raccoon City and now Umbrella Corps.. so until proven otherwise, there's no reason to believe anything they say.

Most likely this is all that they learned:

https://personalspotlights.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/chris-punches-boulder.gif[/IM][/QUOTE]

6 is a great action game and the best gameplay. 5 is the best co-op of last gen. You can have 2D horror game it's never about perspective. This is Capcom going lower budget/low risk. Also it's currently awful on VR
[url=]http://kotaku.com/resident-evil-7-in-vr-is-a-nauseating-mess-1782288909[/url]

But of course title is still in development.

They keep talking about PSVR. I assume this will become super easy to emulate on oculus or vive on PC correct? Is PC owners will play this in VR too correct?

ethomaz

Banned
6 is a great action game and the best gameplay. 5 is the best co-op of last gen. You can have 2D horror game it's never about perspective. This is Capcom going lower budget/low risk. Also it's currently awful on VR
http://kotaku.com/resident-evil-7-in-vr-is-a-nauseating-mess-1782288909

But of course title is still in development.
I won't call a game being developed since 2014 with a new engine made from the ground to going lower budget/low risk.

They keep talking about PSVR. I assume this will become super easy to emulate on oculus or vive on PC correct? Is PC owners will play this in VR too correct?
The announce used the words "PSVR exclusive"... while the game is not exclusive for PS4 the VR mode will be exclusive for PSVR.

I really wanted another 4. And yes, I know that's how we ended up with 5 and 6 but there were alot of design decisions in those games that could have been remedied.

7 feels like something else entirely
I don't think Capcom is capable of making something as well executed as 4 again.

RE5 was pretty much a worse version of 4 but with co-op.

Wild Card

All I can say is that I hope this does well for them, as much as I also want it to tank so they revert their design decisions, I realize that could sink Capcom and all other opportunities for them to revisit their IP's and support current ones, If/When that ever happens.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Was disappointed seeing RE VII being first person. Not interested in it at all to be perfectly honest. I'll gladly wait to October 2017 for The Evil Within 2 instead.

test_account

XP-39C²
I would retain hope for this if the trailer had not already heavily implied that the majority of the game will be played in a somewhat confined location.

I find myself struggling to understand why the development would go in the direction of a ghost story just because P.T. did it well. If I were them, I would find more inspiration from Alien Isolation than P.T. Especially in the sort of environment the demo takes place in. I believe 100% that zombies and the other smaller elements of the og Resident Evil can be made scary again by limiting the player further.

I guess what has been revealed so far has me immensely confused. I love that they are going for a more atmospheric style, but this feels like such a departure from RE.
They do adress this in the interview in the OP:

"Nakanishi-san: I want to give a reassuring message. I’ve seen from initial reactions of what we’ve put out that people are getting the impression that we’ve taken Resident Evil and turned it into some sort of supernatural, occult, ghost story. I think you can look at the trailer or the demo and get that impression, but don’t worry, we haven’t just thrown out Resident Evil as it exists and turned it into a ghost story. It will all make sense in the end. I know it’s frustrating holding back on what we can show fans, but this is really the best way to let you enjoy the game to the fullest when it finally comes out. We just have a trailer and a demo at this moment, but watch this space in the coming months and we hope you look forward to the game. We’re going to do our best to make the best game we can."

They also say that the demo is not a slice from the game (in other words, what you play in the demo wont be in the final game).

Xav

I honestly think this game will be worse than Resident Evil 6 at this rate. The first person view does NOTHING for me.

Capcom are wasting a numbered Resident Evil on some VR gimmick.

Sesha

I honestly think this game will be worse than Resident Evil 6 at this rate. The first person view does NOTHING for me.

RE7 is not first-person because of VR.

Game seems goes on a good path , do not have problem with the FP change (Silent Hill Room was is a good example FP works )

But being honest think new Kojimas game could give us a better idea of evolution of horror.

Death Stranding is confirmed to be an action game and not like P.T. or Silent Hills.

Alebrije

Game seems goes on a good path , do not have problem with the FP change (Silent Hill Room was is a good example FP works )

j7s6bjBqRpQ8jeGBtWMkdWSxYyPlu2MgDPrC-iJTr_Pp0qstZ57dEZj_Wd8hECuqqOJ1yzDsvb2WeS58sV0A8hrpd2Xd37rEvgi3qoUvYeurUENtht2lNbTarZheLPr3Zb0POA=w320-h213-nc

But being honest think new Kojimas game could give us a better idea of evolution of horror.

ethomaz

Banned

Bold prediction time.

Resident Evil 7: biohazard will have a critical meta score 93-94. At the launch it will be the only content for GOTY 2017.

It's not RE2HD - it's a complete remake from scratch. And it's probably going to cost them (Capcom Japan) an arm and a leg (budget, effort, creativity, endeavor, resources, creativeness, working time, human capital, etc) to pull it off correctly after so many years (the original was out in 1998).
Thus, it's still a good question whether a RE3Remake is justifiable and of a worthwhile cause....

Ah right, my mistake. I love REmake and REmake 0 and I hope it sells well enough for R3make! If all else fails I have RE3 on PS3.

Squire

Banned
what ever happened to the panty raid engine?

Seems like it didn't pan out. The RE team probably built RE Engine on the back of MT Framework, which is good since that was a good engine to begin with.

DR4 was probably always going to be proprietary because it's not made in Japan.

SFV is UE4, so my guess is anything else they make (DMC5, a new Onimusha, whatever) will be, too.

RE is the only franchise they have that can really justify having its own engine. Presumably REmake 2 runs on this engine as well.

Seems like it didn't pan out. The RE team probably built RE Engine on the back of MT Framework, which is good since that was a good engine to begin with.

DR4 was probably always going to be proprietary because it's not made in Japan.

SFV is UE4, so my guess is anything else they make (DMC5, a new Onimusha, whatever) will be, too.

RE is the only franchise they have that can really justify having its own engine. Presumably REmake 2 runs on this engine as well.

Deep Down just disappeared suddenly

Kazuhira

You know that the key pillars of the game are fear and horror, exploration of the environment, puzzle-solving elements, resource management, and combat against enemies.
Those are all in this game, but we wanted to start off with the first two – horror and exploration – and get you experiencing those two pillars up front.

Sounds like there will be more than one demo after all,maybe the next one will focus on combat.

As a fan since RE1, I'm pretty OK with everything said in the interview, to be honest.

The glimpses they've shown of the actual game look a lot more like Resident Evil.

You can see the character aiming a gun, and what seems like a zombie, to the right of the centre of the screen.

Thanks haven't seen that shot before

From what these guys are saying and from the evidence in the teaser, a full length RE horror game really could potentially be the killer app that captures mass market appeal for VR.

Squire

Banned
You know that the key pillars of the game are fear and horror, exploration of the environment, puzzle-solving elements, resource management, and combat against enemies.
Those are all in this game, but we wanted to start off with the first two – horror and exploration – and get you experiencing those two pillars up front.

Sounds like there will be more than one demo after all,maybe the next one will focus on combat.

Knowing them there probably will be a demo up on PSN/XBL/Steam closer to release that's actually from the game, yeah.

We should see more of it at the next couple trade shows though. I think they're going to Comic-Con, I can't see them skipping TGS.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Bold prediction time.

Resident Evil 7: biohazard will have a critical meta score 93-94. At the launch it will be the only content for GOTY 2017.

Based on previews and higher majority of impressions of the demo on YouTube
They need to turn "Behind You" into a full game version of "PT- Silent Hills" by January

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
First person has never been my favorite, but the way these comments read some folks are expecting an Outlast clone or something

Y'all don't really believe that, do you? Because I'll take an avatar bet on that if you're serious

Come see us in the community thread! You can love/hate any kind of Resi you like, everybody's welcome. Linked in GIF

mekes

I like what they are saying. I've played the teaser and I like some things, but the lack of build up or conclusion really hurt it. Given they are saying the right things I think its a cause for some optimism, hopefully they can go on and make a good game.

carlsojo

"I think one of the places we got in the series up until now is you’re kind of playing these superhero characters. They’re fully equipped, powerful people who go into these survival horror situations but they’re ready for them."

Well at least they're aware of how ridiculous it was getting. *boulder-punch gif*

ethomaz

Banned
Based on previews and higher majority of impressions of the demo on YouTube
They need to turn "Behind You" into a full game version of "PT- Silent Hills" by January
Demo was created by Team B on the project using only the horror and environment exploration.

RE7 was being developed in parallel and I'm confident it will be done at January with about 3 years of development.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
And the Revelations series. And Remastered REmake and Zer0 with super high sales from it.
I'm sure they know what people want.

While REmake is my favourite game of all time, this was just a Remaster for the quick $, same thing with Zer0. I have around 1% faith that they are still able to create a good game like that. Also they proved many times that they have no clue what people want. Revelations was a bit better than RE5/ RE6 but still a terrible Resident Evil in my opinion

Toparaman

Banned
Bold prediction time.

You do know Zelda's coming out that year, right?

But I share your optimism. It's promising that Capcom wants to reinvent RE once again. RE4 will never be topped by a similar style game in my opinion. The question is: what is RE7 going to do to distinguish itself from the multitude of first-person horror games out there?

Top Bottom