• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 (game) Inspires the Film Reboot

bitbydeath

I'm sure the recent success of horror movies in general would also lend to this going back to horror as opposed to action.
I always thought the first was a pretty good horror, it was those sequels that came after that made it more action oriented.

“Obviously, I’m a huge fan of the franchise so to work on that was a lot of fun. And they’ve made six films before so when you come back to that and reboot it, you wanna do something different and not just rehash. For me it was very clear-cut that I wanted to go back and make it scary again like a horror film in terms of the classic James Wan style so that was the pitch, going back and looking what made the games scary in the first place so yeah, Resident Evil 7 was a bit of a touchstone for my draft.”

“I worked on the reboot for about a year and then producer James Wan came in, my involvement on that project has kind of concluded, so I’m not sure what they’ll really do with it, I submitted my draft to the producers and they were happy with it and ultimately they’ll do what they will with the property but I’m currently not involved with that film.”

http://www.darkhorizons.com/resident-evil-7-inspires-the-film-reboot/

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Makes sense. They probably saw Halloween making lots of moneyz with little investment and thought that they can do the same without much risk. Though 'd rather have them use the original RE as setting.

PrCat88

I hope so. RE7 was a near perfect soft reboot for the video game franchise, and the movies could certainly do with going back to the drawing board.

Dontero

Banned
While gameplay wise RE7 was reboot nothing story wise suggested that.
I loved game but i wish they would actually do proper reboot.

You can only take so much insanity that is RE story and mythos that build over the years.
Since RE3 everything just went nuts.

PrCat88

"soft-reboot" is the entertainment industry buzz-word of 2018.
We have RedLetterMedia I think to thank for that. But it makes sense. RE6 went too far over the rails and the series needed a step back to being a single player horror experience. At the same time we get a first person experience, a new type of self contained story with a brand new playable protagonist. And you could play it in VR. Amazing it turned out as great as it was with so many risks taken.

It also in some ways felt similar to Capcom's Haunting Ground in the sense that you were facing off against stalker enemies that each inhabited a role the residence you were trapped in.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
RE7...?

Just start at 1. What’s so damn hard about it? A crack team go investigate some damn disturbances, get attacked, end up trapped in a mansion where puzzles and traps and set up, and the only way out is through a zombie filled lab where it all started... it’s not rocket science...

TFGB

I’ve still yet to play RE6 and RE7 but I’ve always loved the Resi flicks. Cracking cinematography and action with a plot that requires minimal grey matter engagement.

Amey

Movie inspired by a game that was inspired by several indie first person horror games which were all inspired by several low budget found footage movies.

Cravis

Wished they would just use Romero's script. It was pretty dang faithful to the games but as the story goes Capcom hated it. It's definitely worth a read.

Romero's script could have used a re-write or two but the basis for a faithful adaptation was there. Capcom also rejected the Alan B Mcelroy script. I think the combination of James Wan and Johannes Roberts will get us a horror movie.

Top Bottom