• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, and Dead Rising 4 all below Capcom's expectations

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sales:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Resident Evil 7: 3.5 million
Monster Hunter XX: 1.7 million
Dead Rising 4: Did not make 1 million

Note: Capcom said they were overall okay with RE7 and MHXX despite the shortcomings (they're relatively close), but that Dead Rising 4 and Monster Hunter Stories were well below expectations. Mind, Monster Hunter Stories was never targeted at 1+ million, but I think it only did 250K-300K or something.

Note 2: The Resident Evil ports and the Monster Hunter Pachinko machine were both cited as strong successes, and they were bragging about the Otome mobile game they had.

Original expectations:

KMVKCHq.jpg

Update:

New sales in the quarter:

Capcom updated million sellers list:

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard - 3,500,000 (New Entry)
Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) - 1,700,000 (New Entry)
Resident Evil 6 (Remastered) - 1,000,000 (New Entry)

Resident Evil 5 - 100,000 (7,200,000 LTD)
Resident Evil 6 - 100,000 (6,800,000 LTD)
Monster Hunter Freedom 3 - 100,000 (4,900,000 LTD)
Dead Rising 3 - 100,000 (2,300,000 LTD)
Resident Evil (HD Remastered) - 100,000 (1,900,000 LTD)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - 100,000 (1,700,000 LTD)
Street Fighter V - 100,000 (1,600,000 LTD)
Resident Evil 0: HD Remaster - 100,000 (1,400,000 LTD)
Ultra Street Fighter IV - 100,000 (1,100,000 LTD)

Toxi

Banned
Oof. Sucks that RE7 is doing below expectations considering the game's quality.

Not surprised at XX underperforming. Gen 4 is long in the tooth.

watershed

Banned
Capcom set their expectations too high. To me, RE7 and MH numbers are really good considering RE7 is a whole new take/reboot and MHXX is an iterative, non-numbered sequel.

Genio88

Shame, i played both RE7 and Dead Rising 4, both great games, even though Dead Rising 4 was definitely a downgrade compared to the third one, at least for the game scale and budget invested

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Kinda surprised RE7 didn't meet expectations. I see it hovering constantly in the Amazon top 10 sales ever since it was released.

zeromcd73

Monster Hunter Stories and RE Umbrella Corps without a doubt did too.

Hopefully they've got some good excuses and show some good stuff to invigorate their investors with some confidence in their financial meeting that should be happening right... now?

LewieP

I wonder how well Dead Rising 4 will do when it hits PS4. Probably won't do huge numbers because of the tepid critical reception. 2 million seems like they were fooling themselves if just counting Xbox One and the Windows 10 App Store. Even with Steam that would be a stretch imo.

I wonder what the budget for RE7 was compared to 5/6.

Edit: The question about Monster Hunter is what the platform strategy will be going forward. Surely not just on the Switch?

They really thought they could sell 2 million copies of Dead Rising 4?

On Xbox One and Windows 10?
Considering the sales of DR3 in a similar time frame versus the install base for MS currently has, this seemed like a very realistic figure. Guess the Director's departure now makes a whole lot of sense.

They still had a solid FY though, reaching their forecasts for the most part. I'm quite surprised given all the mentioned games underperformed a bit.

jonno394

As i said in the mc thread, they're expecting sales and revenue in the next year to outperform last year. What big upcoming titles do they have?

UFS2 going to make bank....

Sad for RE7, it's a great game, i hope the game will be a long seller.

For me it's a good thing that MHXX sold below expectations. It's time for Capcom to work on new assets for MH.

Monster Hunter was $15% off and RE7 was only 12.5% off.

Now Dead Rising was way off. Maybe if it was an actual exclusive instead of timed and even then if it didn't review horribly.

Toki767

As i said in the mc thread, they're expecting sales and revenue in the next year to outperform last year. What big upcoming titles do they have?

Gotta believe they're getting ready for that HD Monster Hunter. Or at least Monster Hunter on Switch.

Dice//

Banned
I thought RE7 was hot because people said so... guess it wasn't.

Shoot I honestly forgot about it. Was there any DLC mentions? Maybe that'd help keep the hype going?? Or something. I dunno.
Def do wanna play one day, and the super strong early 2017 lineup made me forget too. I've had my nose in Persona, Nier, Gravity Rush, FFXV, Horizon, Zelda...yknow

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Dead Rising 4 is the only one of those three that seems like a major misstep. The others were somewhat within range (~85%) of the target. I think Capcom misjudged the market's desire for another Dead Rising and what would draw people to it.

gconsole

Since when was 3.5 considered bad?

Capcom must have expected after so much negative press of 6 that it needed to gain trust again.

Resi 8, could be huge.

Since it is RE? Last game that got shit on by the whole universe sold 6.7 million.

Edit

Even with shit reception RE6 got it wont affect the sale of the next iteration so it sell half less. This is more aboutvthe direction that no fan wants except some small niche audience. And dont get me wrong. I like RE7.

Dead Rising looked boring as shit from jump and Stories was a big disappointment. No surprise there.

Double Cross is literally cross with 2 extra tacked on styles and a handful of new monsters.

modsbox

Nice forecast for Dead Rising guys. How well did they expect it to sell on a platform that is getting crushed everywhere but the US?

Understood the franchise started on Xbox but uh you might want to release it (and its predecessor) on the platform that is selling like crazy if you want to move copies. Just a thought.

Resident Evil is maybe too horror like to do that much better and that's expected of Dead Rising. Won't ever hit the originals style and play. If it ever does I'll be excited for it.

Dead Rising was expected somewhat as it was a sequel at a time that this gen just isn't fresh anymore. Happened a lot last gen to the second and third of titles. Should have held off a while and made a new Dmc, or other game in its place.

Capcom will finally start to put out some mobile games in Japan. There's the possibility those games will become hits, which could greatly improve their earnings.

Dead Rising is dead. All that focus testing they said they did told them that they should dumb down the experience beyond what the game was to enable sequels like DR5 and DR6. Being X1/W10 exclusive didn't help as well, just an all around combination of bad decisions.

Gren

Note: Capcom said they were overall okay with RE7 and MHXX despite the shortcomings (they're relatively close), but that Dead Rising 4 and Monster Hunter Stories were well below expectations.[/url] Mind, Monster Hunter Stories was never targeted at 1+ million, but I think it only did 250K-300K or something.

Well that's good. I'd hate to see them burn it all down & try something else. Would like them to refine this new approach with another entry or two.

Surprising though. I thought they had said they were satisfied with early sales. Guess those tapered off a good deal.

Top Bottom