• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - New Screenshots & Info (Puzzles, Spiders, Enemies, & More)

Corpsepyre

Banned
From the very beginning it was clear that this was going to be nothing like RE4.

It sounds like you want balls-to-the-wall action in third-person.

Nothing like RE* even.

And no, RE4, as I said, mixed both elements quite well. I never felt I was playing solely an action game. I DID feel that with RE5 and 6.

If rumors that older characters such as Leon and Chris are returning are true then I'll be disappointed.

I think with the tape system there's a way they could fit those characters in without messing up the story too much. Imagine finding a tape that says "Raccoon City Outbreak" and doing part of Resident Evil.

Also a pretty solid way to tie in the DLC.

Jawmuncher

Yeah I would bet returning characters will be part of the tapes that are found. Though I would say at least one character actually shows up in real time for this game.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing like RE* even.

And no, RE4, as I said, mixed both elements quite well. I never felt I was playing solely an action game. I DID feel that with RE5 and 6.

RE4 had one section I'd consider horror and that was in the bottom of the castle fighting that near-indestructible beast.

Aside from that I'm not sure what was scary about it. Everything was seen coming from a mile away.

So RE4 had a ton of action and very little horror, which is fine to you. But this has a lot of horror and little action, which isn't. I won't point out which one you prefer.

Jawmuncher

RE4 had one horror section and that was in the bottom of the castle fighting that near-indestructible beast.

Aside from that I'm not sure what was scary about it. Everything was seen coming from a mile away.

So RE4 had a ton of action and very little horror, which is fine to you. But this has a lot of horror and little action, which isn't. I won't point out which one you prefer.

I wouldn't say this game is gonna have little action if the esrb leak is anything to go by. Sounds like it'll have action moments rivaling 4-6

JJShadow

Okay, first bit of info, I'll keep translating after lunch. Sorry about my English!

- Main character is named Ethan, who travels to Dulvey (Louisiana) to look for his missing wife
- RE 7 is not a zombies game anymore. This time is much more focused on psychological horror
- A new type of enemy called "Holoforms"
- They saw 3 different final bosses and really liked them. In one of these boss fights you have to drive a car
- Much more focused on exploration than previous RE games
- Inventory size is limited (e.g. shotgun takes two intentory blocks)
- Manual saving
- You can save as many times as you want, but once you complete the game for the first time, you unlock the "Asylum/Madhouse" difficulty, where saving is limited
- The number of ammo is quite limited, so most of the time you have to run away from enemies. Ethan can also protect himself from enemies attacks by using his arms or by binding down just before he's gonna get hit
- Confirmed weapons so far: knife (first weapon you get access to), handgun, shotgun, magnum, flamethrower and chainsaw
- The members of the Baker family are "bullet sponges", so you will need a huge amount of ammo to kill them. However, they can be stunned after a certain number of shots
- There are A LOT of jumpscares/scary moments
- A certain kind on insect will have a great importance/presence in one section of the game

OnFire331

3bcfb5466d07e43be5967b9969be880f.png

latest

Jawmuncher

The number of ammo is quite limited, so most of the time you have to run away from enemies. Ethan can also protect himself from enemies attacks by using his arms or by binding down just before he's gonna get hit

Before people freak out, I would bet this works like REmake. Where Norma and lower difficulties will probably have more than enough ammo for all regular enemies.

From the sound of things though, the bakers are like Nemesis and it'll be a Better idea to run from them just like in RE3.

liquidtmd

Banned
All my hype.

Gotta say Dusk, your threads and posts on RE7 from the very beginning (hour) have been stellar and truly appreciated. Thank you.

Looks fantastic.

JJShadow

Before people freak out, I would bet this works like REmake. Where Norma and lower difficulties will probably have more than enough ammo for all regular enemies.

From the sound of things though, the bakers are like Nemesis and it'll be a Better idea to run from them just like in RE3.

In fact they compare them with Nemesis from RE 3

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Okay, first bit of info, I'll keep translating after lunch. Sorry about my English!

- Main character is named Ethan, who travels to Dulvey (Louisiana) to look for her missing wife
- RE 7 is not a zombies game anymore. This time is much more focused on psychological horror
- They saw 3 different final bosses and really liked them. In one of these boss fights you have to drive a car
- Manual saving
- You can save as many times as you want, but once you complete the game for the first time, you unlock the "Asylum/Madhouse" difficulty, where saving is limited
- The number of ammo is quite limited, so most of the time you have to run away from enemies. Ethan can also protect himself from enemies attacks by using his arms or by binding down just before he's gonna get hit
- Confirmed weapons so far: knife (first weapon you get access to), handgun, shotgun, magnum, flamethrower and chainsaw
- The members of the Baker family are "bullet sponges", so you will need a huge amount of ammo to kill them. However, they can be stunned after a certain number of shots
- A certain kind on insect will have a great importance/presence in one section of the game

Very much appreciated, added to the OP (and will add more when you translate more).

The term "hologram" appears on the picture with the enemies featured in the "shadow" vid.

I think the design would have to do with interacting with light sources of some sort first off instead of traditional weapons, and maybe after it's exposed take it out with guns or other weapons.

Also, no info yet on the virus in the game. Of course, the ending's gonna have Umbrella come in with their "EVERYTHING IS STAGED AND YOU'VE BEEN PLAYED BY US FROM THE BEGINNING" narrative, not that I would mind it tbh.

Sounds and looks absolutely amazing. I never had any doubt ever since the demo, it wasn't that hard to imagine where they are going with this, despite not showing much (and despite others being in denial for some reason).

His wife's name is Mia? The woman in the tape? But she's dead/undead, isn't she?

My guess is that the game probably starts with the Mia tape and that someone sent it to Ethan, and he watches it and goes to find her.

Roldan

Jesus, the lighting looks superb.

I can't point my finger at what in this game is being sacrificed to hit 60 FPS, because it looks incredible in every way. Smaller environments, maybe?

liquidtmd

Banned
Any idea when we can expect ANYTHING from Resident Evil 2 Remake?

Willing to bet there is some kind of pictures / media around RE7 release - Easter eggs within RE7 also likely.

I'm not going to let that 'serial number of the PS1 with RE2 demo disk' within Beginning Hour go dammit!

I'd also take an outside bet of them going for the same January release date in 2018 for RE2 Remake

butman

- Main character is named Ethan, who travels to Dulvey (Louisiana) to look for his missing wife

- Manual saving

Silent Hills

J3nga

It's not really how many games have we had with zombies? Resident evil six had zombies on top of everything else.

I am Fine with the new direction, I think it's smart.

The very first thing we encounter in the original Resident Evil is a zombie, it's like a key figure to the series, I'm fine with having other types of enemies, other games in the series also had em', but please leave some zombies to shoot Capcom.

Plum

No zombies anymore? Well that's a shame.

They just said it's not a Zombie game, I can imagine the regular enemies will act a lot like Zombies but simply not look like them much like Revelations.

The very first thing we encounter in the original Resident Evil is a zombie, it's like a key figure to the series, I'm fine with having other types of enemies, other games in the series also had em', but please leave some zombies to shoot Capcom.

Neither Resident Evil nor Biohazard pertain to the idea that the series needs traditional Zombies to succeed. The only two mainline games where zombies were the absolute main focus were 1 and 2, 3's main advertising/story focus was Nemesis and then 4, 5 and 6 used infections. The only type of enemy to be seen in every single game are biological experiments, not Zombies. Resident Evil is much more about well, biohazards, of which this game clearly has plenty of.

Bishop89

- Manual saving

sounds cool

Jawmuncher

If you want to play this in VR, a PS4 pro is a must.
Or else it's gonna be pretty jaggy unless they did some work on the OG PS4 front

Top Bottom